edge of the universe?

warri0r45

What if the Universe ends like a galaxy? And is really like a galaxy in a bigger universe?

this is kinda like the above suggestion and that men in black thing, but what if our universe was an atom in someone elses universe, in a molecule in someone elses universe, in a cell in someone elses universe, in a person in someone elses universe, who's universe is an atom in someone elses universe..... and so on and so forth for eternity?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welp, looks like it's time for me to pull out the old Dark Tower quote. I swear there's a thread on this every month or so.

The greatest mystery the universe offers is not life but Size. Size encompasses life, and the Tower encompasses Size. The child, who is most at home with wonder, says: Daddy, what is above the sky? And the father says: The darkness of space. The child: What is beyond space? The father: The galaxy. The child: Beyond the galaxy? The father: Another galaxy. The child: Beyond the other galaxies? The father: No one knows.

You see? Size defeats us. For the fish, the lake in which he lives is the universe. What does the fish think when he is jerked up by the mouth through the silver limits of existence and into a new universe where the air drowns him and the light is blue madness? Where hugh bipeds with no gills stuff it into a suffocating box and cover it with wet weeds to die? Or one might take the point of a pencil and magnify it. One reaches the point where a stunning realization strikes home: The pencil point is not solid; it is composed of atoms which whirl and revolve like a trillion demon planets. What seems solid to us is actually only a loose net held together by gravitation. Shrunk to the correct size, the distances between these atoms might become leagues, gulfs, aeons.

The atoms themselves are composed of nuclei and revolving protons and electrons. One may step down further to subatomic particles. And then to what? Tachyons? Nothing? Of course not. Everything in the universe denies nothing; to suggest conclusions to things is one impossibility. If you fell outward to the limit of the universe, would you find a board fence and signs reading DEAD END? No. You might find something hard and rounded, as the chick must see the egg from the inside. And if you should peck through that shell, what great and torrential light might shine through your hole at the end of space? Might you look through and discover our entire universe is but part of one atom on a blade of grass?

Might you be forced to think that by burning a twig you incinerate an eternity of eternities? That existence rises not to one infinite but to an infinity of them? Perhaps you saw what place our universe plays in the scheme of things ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ã

I know the price. I pay it gladly.

Quote:

The greatest mystery the universe offers is not life but Size. Size encompasses life, and the Tower encompasses Size. The child, who is most at home with wonder, says: Daddy, what is above the sky? And the father says: The darkness of space. The child: What is beyond space? The father: The galaxy. The child: Beyond the galaxy? The father: Another galaxy. The child: Beyond the other galaxies? The father: No one knows.

You see? Size defeats us. For the fish, the lake in which he lives is the universe. What does the fish think when he is jerked up by the mouth through the silver limits of existence and into a new universe where the air drowns him and the light is blue madness? Where hugh bipeds with no gills stuff it into a suffocating box and cover it with wet weeds to die? Or one might take the point of a pencil and magnify it. One reaches the point where a stunning realization strikes home: The pencil point is not solid; it is composed of atoms which whirl and revolve like a trillion demon planets. What seems solid to us is actually only a loose net held together by gravitation. Shrunk to the correct size, the distances between these atoms might become leagues, gulfs, aeons.

The atoms themselves are composed of nuclei and revolving protons and electrons. One may step down further to subatomic particles. And then to what? Tachyons? Nothing? Of course not. Everything in the universe denies nothing; to suggest conclusions to things is one impossibility. If you fell outward to the limit of the universe, would you find a board fence and signs reading DEAD END? No. You might find something hard and rounded, as the chick must see the egg from the inside. And if you should peck through that shell, what great and torrential light might shine through your hole at the end of space? Might you look through and discover our entire universe is but part of one atom on a blade of grass?

Might you be forced to think that by burning a twig you incinerate an eternity of eternities? That existence rises not to one infinite but to an infinity of them? Perhaps you saw what place our universe plays in the scheme of things ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ã

there is a theory here:

When the big bang happend the universe got bigger and still is but scientists believe that eventaully there will be a big crunch shrinking the universe; wiping out life. However this will be followed by another bang starting the cycle again.

So basicly the universe keeps exanding faster than the speed of light so we'd probably never get out anyway and we'll be wiped out when the crunch happens.

This may give an idea to your theory but definatly won't solve it

09f719550fdb82a41cc724ce46d5f579.png

Whether or not there's an edge to the universe, and whether or not it is still expanding, we'll probably be obliterated (by nuclear war or the sun's explosion) before we ever get there.

I find it interesting that there are people out there who believe in the multiverse (that there is more than one universe all stacked together). I thought the whole point of the universe was that it encapsulates everything. How can there be multiple universes? Wouldn't they just be part of one universe?

That's just the English terminology. If we discovered that there was a universe before and after ours, than the term can stay the same. But if the universe is like a galaxy to an even bigger universe, than we have to change the term, still, I doubt we'll ever know for sure.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

Be careful. According to Star Trek, if you cross the border of our universe you will acquire ESP and blow stuff up while going insane.

I mean, it happened on TV, it's true!

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Be careful. According to Star Trek, if you cross the border of our universe you will acquire ESP and blow stuff up while going insane.

This is really pathetic of me, but is this a joke, or was there an episode of Star Trek about that? If so, which series was it in? [/Trekkie]

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton

This is really pathetic of me, but is this a joke, or was there an episode of Star Trek about that? If so, which series was it in? [/Trekkie]

It was the first episode of Star Trek (3rd produced, 1st to star Kirk, and 7th to air.). It is entitled "Where No Man Has Gone Before." Produced by the dream team of Gene Roddenberry, Gene L. Coon, and Dorothy Fontana.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

there is a theory here:

When the big bang happend the universe got bigger and still is but scientists believe that eventaully there will be a big crunch shrinking the universe; wiping out life. However this will be followed by another bang starting the cycle again.

So basicly the universe keeps exanding faster than the speed of light so we'd probably never get out anyway and we'll be wiped out when the crunch happens.

O.k, then, what's it expanding into?

jfacsig01ti4.jpg

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

It was the first episode of Star Trek (3rd produced, 1st to star Kirk, and 7th to air.). It is entitled "Where No Man Has Gone Before." Produced by the dream team of Gene Roddenberry, Gene L. Coon, and Dorothy Fontana.

I'll have to find that and watch it sometime. :P

Punctuation.gif

"In so far as I am Man I am the chief of creatures. In so far as I am a man I am the chief of sinners." - G.K. Chesterton

there is a theory here:

Heh, I thought I came up with that theory, until someone told me I didn't. It used to be the popular theory, but now it's generally held as false.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

I'm still worrying about our own galaxy.

- http://content.ytmnd.com/content/c/1/4/ ... a2a468.gif

- http://atinyglimpse.ytmnd.com/

: /

As for the universe? Popular Science stated that new theories think that space actually contains 10^500 universes, each with their own laws of physics. Fun stuff.

Edit: Ha, I originally had a typo and said "space actually contains 10^500 UNIVERSITIES, each with their own laws of physics. Lol!

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

I believe ?Einstein? had a theory about either universe edge or galaxy edges contained some energy called L-something that acted as a barrier.

I don't think the universe can have an edge because any measurement of the edge would increase the edge to that distance. Basically, the size of the universe is dependant on the known areas of it. I doubt there's a way to predict the size of everythingness. If the universe expands at the fastest possible speed the fact you can't reach the edge because of speeds means the edge is nonexistent. Meh :\ warp holes ideas are interesting though. Wonder what 'nothingness' is.

There has to be some sort of edge.. Nothing cant really just keep going on. I think :roll:

But how will it end? :-k

Will there just be a wall? :-k

I personally have no idea

Me either but it sounds just impossible :lol:

RSN - Ur Enemy, lvl 120 - Back in action!:)

Oldest rsn: Obu86 lvl 100 :P ~Retired~

RS Since 2001

Can time end? No. If everything is destroyed into nothingness there will still be time going on and on. No one will be counting but it will soon be "1 year after everything was destroyed" and so on. Time will continue for eternity.

Space and time are related. You can get rid of space, and it goes on and on, for eternity, like time.

Personally I think past the edge of our universe is just empty space. Blackness. Nothing. Endless nothing.

They say you can never go there, our universe's boundaries are like a soap bubble (be it one expanding at the speed of light). Particles on the inside can't leave the bubble, if they try they would just get curved around.

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

I've always thought of it like a sorta 3 dimensional Pac-man, you reach the edge and end up back where you started, just like when you go right all the way in Pac man you end up at the left side again and vise versa, the universe could just be a gigantic sphere so this happens, you go around in circles and never get to an edge.

Of course that would bring up the question whats on the outside of the sphere, that I wouldn't be able to answer.

crim2ma.jpg

~^v^~Ex-Leader of the Divine Flames of Redemption~^v^~