Flying soon...any tips?

Poopingman

Yeah I'm going to Florida on Monday and I have some questions that I can't seem to find a good answer to elsewhere.

I will almost certainly have to check one of my bags, what are the chances that it will be lost/stolen?

Also, I will be transporting a pipe along with tobacco. It will be in the checked luggage. Will they give me problems regarding this?

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

Clearly someone is relatively new at flying... :wink:

Over all my flying experience (First flight was at 6 months old... :P ), I've never had luggage stolen. A few times it was cut-off at a transfer airport, but even those have been recovered.

Depending on your age, I'm guessing...I don't know much about this...

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

If you are leaving an empty house, I suggest that when you put your address tag onto your luggage, you don't put your home address. Use the address of a friend, relative, your place of work...etc. The reason for this is so that if your bag is lost or stolen, you won't have given someone the address of your unoccupied home.

suzironniesigwx2.jpg

The Poison Fairy

Baggage is almost never stolen, as far as I can tell.

I seriously doubt that you will have problems with your friend's pipe, as long as there is no illegal stuff in there.

x9whitey9x.jpg

The code in my sig should say 1032 not 0132.

As far as I know my family only has had 1 problem with lost luggage, and that just ended up in denver instead of kansas

Since you can take cigarettes on the plane i highly doubt anyone would bother you about a pipe.

Just plan out what you'll do in the airport and on the plane-the time stacks up more than you might think

Just plan out what you'll do in the airport and on the plane-the time stacks up more than you might think

Oh yes. You'll get off the plan with an hour to find the next terminal and in no time you'll find yourself running through the airport in search of the next terminal. But if you find your terminal fast, it will seem like you spend hours just sitting there waiting to board.

Also, storms and bad weather could cause flight delays and depending on how long it is, you might miss your next flight and have to wait around for another. Just warning you on that because my family got stuck in Cincinatti over night because of a storm in Florida on our way home. Trust me, it's no fun to have to reschedule a flight and wait around for it.

In the States bags are rarly stolen or really "lost" especially if you make sure to keep your baggage claim tags.

However two years ago I was in Costa Rica and landed on a small 30 person plane in a remote airport. At the baggage terminal the bags came... all of the cloth ones were slashed open and rummaged through, the hard plastic ones were simply not there. People got pretty pissed but they said "it happens around here" and thats why you don't put valuables (electronics, money, jewelery) in your luggage when you travel to 3rd world countries. You put it in your hand bag.

But you should be fine in the States :wink:

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

Oh yes. You'll get off the plan with an hour to find the next terminal and in no time you'll find yourself running through the airport in search of the next terminal. But if you find your terminal fast, it will seem like you spend hours just sitting there waiting to board.

You can't be my 4 1/2 hours in Newark right before a 6 hour flight to Seattle, followed by 2 hours of technical difficulties and a 12 hour flight. You just can't.

I suppose you live in the USA. So no customs. If you don't, get ready. Those lines are boring. (Most of the time)

I'm getting a little off-topic, so I'll get back to on-topic...Are you transferring? That'd increase the chance of having baggage being delayed, as well as boredom.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

You can't be my 4 1/2 hours in Newark right before a 6 hour flight to Seattle, followed by 2 hours of technical difficulties and a 12 hour flight. You just can't.

I suppose you live in the USA. So no customs. If you don't, get ready. Those lines are boring. (Most of the time)

I'm getting a little off-topic, so I'll get back to on-topic...Are you transferring? That'd increase the chance of having baggage being delayed, as well as boredom.

Customs are such a pain.. When I went to Mexico I had to go through cutoms when we got there and when we got back. It was kind of funny though.. In Mexico, you pushed a button as you walked through (after all the waiting in line with your passport crap) and if the light turned red, they searched your luggage and if it was green they just let you pass. But when we got back to the US, the guy checking luggage simply asked us if we had anything illegal, we said no, and we never had to stop walking. We had such great security years ago :ohnoes:

Customs are such a pain.. When I went to Mexico I had to go through cutoms when we got there and when we got back. It was kind of funny though.. In Mexico, you pushed a button as you walked through (after all the waiting in line with your passport crap) and if the light turned red, they searched your luggage and if it was green they just let you pass. But when we got back to the US, the guy checking luggage simply asked us if we had anything illegal, we said no, and we never had to stop walking. We

had such great security years ago :ohnoes:

Uh they still do that.

They are mainly concerned with drugs, and they can't hand search everyone's bag so they scatter some drug sniffing dogs and for agricultural reasons ask if you brought any fruits or vegetables.

When I came back from San Juan in August there wasn't even a guy asking. There was just a sign right outside the baggage terminal that read "Please leave contraband here" and a sign pointing at a trash can. :)

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

I fly quite a bit, and know airline procedures pretty well.

The odd's of your bag being stolen / lost are slim to none. I've only had one bag lost in my flying experience, and it was returned the very next morning, to my front door. As long as you have tags on it, you'll be fine.

As for the pipe, make sure that you put it at the BOTTOM of your bag. Yes, BOTTOM. That way it's least likely to be seen. If I were you, I'd just ship it to him, but hey, your not me :P. But make sure that you do not have ANY liquids before you go through security, you have no lighters, and you have 50-100 dollars. Once you get in your terminal, then you can buy food and drinks. With your Carry-on, stash your drink in it just to be on the safe side. ( Make sure you Carry-on fits BELOW your seat for easy access.) I suggest getting there very early, if it's a late morning / afternoon flight. That way you can eat at one of the nice sit down resturants.

Those are my suggestions, and remember, have fun!

irulepokergd4.jpg

Irulepoker.gif

My Farewell thread. Please post nicely, or die. :^_^:

Yea, I'd vote for him too. But I don't think they let Iraqis vote :P

I fly quite a bit, and know airline procedures pretty well.

The odd's of your bag being stolen / lost are slim to none. I've only had one bag lost in my flying experience, and it was returned the very next morning, to my front door. As long as you have tags on it, you'll be fine.

As for the pipe, make sure that you put it at the BOTTOM of your bag. Yes, BOTTOM. That way it's least likely to be seen. If I were you, I'd just ship it to him, but hey, your not me :P. But make sure that you do not have ANY liquids before you go through security, you have no lighters, and you have 50-100 dollars. Once you get in your terminal, then you can buy food and drinks. With your Carry-on, stash your drink in it just to be on the safe side. ( Make sure you Carry-on fits BELOW your seat for easy access.) I suggest getting there very early, if it's a late morning / afternoon flight. That way you can eat at one of the nice sit down resturants.

Those are my suggestions, and remember, have fun!

Ba-Duh-Ching!

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Sorry for not reading the entire thread, but how long is your flight time? It can sometimes get REALLY boring.

If it's over 3 hours, I suggest you take some entertainment. Ie: Ipod, Gameboy, Nintendo DS, PSP... Etc. Although, I'm not sure if you're allowed Wi-Fi gadgets on the plane. Check that out before you go. Portible DVD players are also very occupying. For some reason I cannot read a novel on a plane, I have to read comics or magazines... :weird:

Hope you have a good time.

-Mitch

New sig to come!

Sorry for not reading the entire thread, but how long is your flight time? It can sometimes get REALLY boring.

If it's over 3 hours, I suggest you take some entertainment. Ie: Ipod, Gameboy, Nintendo DS, PSP... Etc. Although, I'm not sure if you're allowed Wi-Fi gadgets on the plane. Check that out before you go. Portible DVD players are also very occupying. For some reason I cannot read a novel on a plane, I have to read comics or magazines... :weird:

Hope you have a good time.

-Mitch

About 3 hours. I'm taking an Ipod, but thats all I plan to take on board. I don't need a carryon or anything....

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....