Posting Real Life Pictures

I to agree with you guys. There's nothing wrong with a picture, no one will be able to track another person based on a personal photograph. Well ofcourse he can see the person in question walking down the street, but then he might as well by accident hear the other's nickname in a conversation :/
Score another for us :P

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sort of agree with this idea but I don't want to see tipit become like myspace or something. I think that the tif frappr should be allowed so people have the option of clicking it but I dunno about posting real life pictures. Would there just be a sticky in off topic or something? Because I think it could get out of hand if not confined to one part of the forum.

I sort of agree with this idea but I don't want to see tipit become like myspace or something. I think that the tif [ForbiddenSite] should be allowed so people have the option of clicking it but I dunno about posting real life pictures. Would there just be a sticky in off topic or something? Because I think it could get out of hand if not confined to one part of the forum.
It'll most likely be a stick for posting pics only. Comments and such would probably get removed.

That's how it worked the last time it was up - if my memory is working :-s

Alright , obviously this needs to be looked at a bit more closely lol

Although I cant really just change a rule without the other Administrators approving, I'm going to say publically that I also agree that pictures should be allowed as long as location or personal information can not be obtained from them in any way.

I don't know if it will help whatsoever but I dont want our users to feel like they are alone in their ideas. :)

I agree I see no harm in posting RL pic's as long as they do not post personal info.

I believe us Mods would be sure that personal info is removed if this suggestion gets approved.

My opinion only of course. :)

queenvalerie.png

If posting pictures in private messages are allowed, does that mean that we can post something like, "I just got back from Hawaii, PM me for pics"?

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

that would only make your life harder , you should never invite users to PM you , trust me .

besides theres nothing in the rule that says you can't post pictures of your vacation , well some of them at least...

Photographs are permitted so long as they are not pictures of users, license plates, house numbers, or any of the contact information listed above.
I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear

that would only make your life harder , you should never invite users to PM you , trust me .

besides theres nothing in the rule that says you can't post pictures of your vacation , well some of them at least...

Photographs are permitted so long as they are not pictures of users, license plates, house numbers, or any of the contact information listed above.
I think he meant pictures of him/her on vacation...

I would not mind some company at night because I know the basic things of self defense.

I read it in a 17 magazine, don't ask why.

Upper cut the nose which causes the cartilage and bone to get right in the brain area.

Knee in the special place (you know what I mean, wink wink). Guy or girl, it still hurts! Ever walk by a table and just hit the table just right so you are on the floor with tears that fill open eyes? ThatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s how it feels!

Also elbowing, using your environment as a weapon such as a stapler. Your imagination is the most deadliest of them all!

Back on topic, it would be nice but would you like someone staring at your picture for ours or ever feel that someone is prettier then you? This would cause a lot of issues! Such as failed endeavors, rash actions, ect.

I agree with pokey, comments such as hunky, jigglely, stick like, hot, sweaty, sticky, steamy, huge, small, druggy, emotional, race, sex, and orgin. It would lead Tip.It in the gutters!

Think before you act, its better the way it is. I respect all thoughts and if something is out of line, feel free to edit! I do not mind at all since I respect all of Tip.It decisions since they gave me a home.

And people can't do that to you irl? if you don't want people to comment about you, dont post. its that simple. But for those of us that want to post pics, i think we should be allowed to..

^^, No need to make quote nests. So your saying for those who want pictures are allowed to post but those who side against you can't post? I think thats just plain illogical, isn't this a discussion where we are free to chose what we want? It seems like a 1 sided topic where you must side to comment?

*Edit, so your saying for those who want to can post and those who don't want to don't have too? That seems logical.

^^, No need to make quote nests. So your saying for those who want pictures are allowed to post but those who side against you can't post? I think thats just plain illogical, isn't this a discussion where we are free to chose what we want? It seems like a 1 sided topic where you must side to comment?

*Edit, so your saying for those who want to can post and those who don't want to don't have too? That seems logical.

you hit it, and what do you mean quote nests?

There is quite abit of difference between allowing pictures in private boards, and allowing them in the general public boards.

For starters, there is a much lower risk in the private boards, where a small select group of people who generally know each other or share a common interest can see them, rather than allowing them in a public area accessible by nearly 150k registered users.

While kids may decide that they want to publish their picture for the masses to see, what if their parents found out and did not approve? Where would tip.its stance be? Most of the youth here would likely not even ask their parents for approval prior to posting.

Secondly, just because its a game site does not mean its not a good place to prey on children. Maybe less of a target for little girls, but what if a predator was targetting young boys? A game-related site with a userbase as large as tip.its might even be considered ideal, as it would obviously be less patrolled in the way of law enforcement than popular blogging sites.

Thirdly, what about the rights of others who may appear in the photo with the person posting? Its not uncommon for a photo to contain more than one person. So even if you choose to have your picture published for the entire world to see, what about any possible friends, family, lovers, or even strangers who may not want their pictures posted online?

Fourth, what about any background scenery which people may be able to identify? It could make it easier to find out where a certain user resides, which most users would not even think about when publishing their photos.

Finally, photo harvesting isn't exactly uncommon across the internet. Whos to stop someone from saving your photo, and using it elsewhere? Or even someone here, using someone elses photo and claiming it to be of them? This is a problem that runs rampant online, especially in blogging sites.

Personally, I cannot decide whether or not its best to allow photos, or to keep them blocked. However, the above questions are some concerns I feel should be atleast be thought about before considering allowing photos to be posted in public boards.

For starters, there is a much lower risk in the private boards, where a small select group of people who generally know each other or share a common interest can see them, rather than allowing them in a public area accessible by nearly 150k registered users.
150k user's are on tip.it? I don't think so.

While kids may decide that they want to publish their picture for the masses to see, what if their parents found out and did not approve? Where would tip.its stance be? Most of the youth here would likely not

even ask their parents for approval prior to posting.

This is the kid's fault, not tip.it's fault. As has been stated, tip.it is not liable for problems that could occur. Parent's should monitor what they're kids do more closely. Plus, why would a kid have his picture on the computer that he has access to if he wasn't allowed to post it? If his parents didn't want him posting a picture they most certainly would not give them a digital camera.

Secondly, just because its a game site does not mean its not a good place to prey on children. Maybe less of a target for little girls, but what if a predator was targetting young boys? A game-related site with a userbase as large as tip.its might even be considered ideal, as it would obviously be less patrolled in the way of law enforcement than popular blogging sites.
How can someone find you from just a picture? That isnt going to happen.

Thirdly, what about the rights of others who may appear in the photo with the person posting? Its not uncommon for a photo to contain more than one person. So even if you choose to have your picture published for the entire world to see, what about any possible friends, family, lovers, or even strangers who may not want their pictures posted online?
crop them? mod's have the ability to delete things.

Fourth, what about any background scenery which people may be able to identify? It could make it easier to find out where a certain user resides, which most users would not even think about when publishing their photos.
yet again, crop it. I don't see how this would be any more harmful then posting a picture on myspace or something of that sort.

Finally, photo harvesting isn't exactly uncommon across the internet. Whos to stop someone from saving your photo, and using it elsewhere? Or even someone here, using someone elses photo and claiming it to be of them? This is a problem that runs rampant online, especially in blogging sites.
Yet again, this can be done in any other place, so whats the big deal about one more? There are alot more larger places that people would look for pictures then tip.it...

My conclusion, I dont think that an actual thread should be devoted to something like this. But if I happen to want to add a picture of me to my character's blog or to a post with me doing something related to the post I think I should be allowed to at my own risk. Tip.it can state that if something happens its not there fault, even though I'm convinced nothing will happen. A picture of me, in my room can't hurt anything at all. People are allowed to give out personal info which is 1000000 times worse then any picture.

150k user's are on tip.it? I don't think so.

I said nearly 150k registered users, as in the number of accounts registered. It does not mean all are active.

regdj0.png

While kids may decide that they want to publish their picture for the masses to see, what if their parents found out and did not approve? Where would tip.its stance be? Most of the youth here would likely not

even ask their parents for approval prior to posting.

This is the kid's fault, not tip.it's fault. As has been stated, tip.it is not liable for problems that could occur. Parent's should monitor what they're kids do more closely. Plus, why would a kid have his picture on the computer that he has access to if he wasn't allowed to post it? If his parents didn't want him posting a picture they most certainly would not give them a digital camera.

First off, a parent would not have to give their kids anything. Whats to stop the kid from using one at his friends house, or obtaining it otherwise?

While it would indeed be the kids doing, if something ever happened to a kid (highly unlikely I know, but just say it did), who do you honestly think a court would side with?

A parent will throw the blame on the site, for allowing it to happen in the first place. Think of the flack sites like myspace catch for kids not using their brain, or lack of proper parental monitoring. Different type of site I know, but is it such a stretch to imagine the site catching flack for the childs choices?

For that matter, the two reasons there are rules now against swapping much personal identifying information in runescape itself is the fact that it puts children at risk, and that it puts them at liability.

Keep in mind we live in a world where people sue McDonalds for their hot coffee being hot.

As well as most courts and politicians are less than understanding about technology, even to this day. As demonstrated in this thread: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=611366

How can someone find you from just a picture? That isnt going to happen.

From the picture alone, they would not unless its an easily identifyable place. However, combined with other details that they may obtain thru various means (such as location), having a picture could obviously help them recognize you.

crop them? mod's have the ability to delete things.

Relying on users to self crop? Alot of them dont even crop their own runescape screenshots. Sure the mods can edit it out later, but that places more work on them, and how can you know whether or not the other person truly gave permission or not to publish said photo? Maybe they are fine with it, maybe they are not.

yet again, crop it. I don't see how this would be any more harmful then posting a picture on myspace or something of that sort.

It wouldn't be any more harmful, but as stated above, myspace has been catching alot of flack itself.

Yet again, this can be done in any other place, so whats the big deal about one more? There are alot more larger places that people would look for pictures then tip.it...

I think pretty much any site would be about equal oppurtunity to steal a picture from. But I will concede that point, pictures on the internet in general are at risk.

My conclusion, I dont think that an actual thread should be devoted to something like this. But if I happen to want to add a picture of me to my character's blog or to a post with me doing something related to the post I think I should be allowed to at my own risk. Tip.it can state that if something happens its not there fault, even though I'm convinced nothing will happen. A picture of me, in my room can't hurt anything at all. People are allowed to give out personal info which is 1000000 times worse then any picture.

Personally, I do not have any problems with pictures being published. If anything, I think allowing users to exchange information and photos could be quite nice. Also, I dont necessarily like the fact that its against runescapes rules these days too.

I am no lawyer, and I may very well be wrong on some of my points. However, the world we live in, where people are quick to point fingers and sue one another for even the most minor things, I have to think tip.it has to indeed watch its own back legally.

There are literally hundreds of sites that allow people to share pictures. Can you show me one case that involves blaming the site where the plaintiff actually won?

I'll give you an example where it's the opposite:

Texas District Judge Sam Sparks dismissed all the claims against the company [Myspace], arguing that the Communications Decency Act of 1996 exempts MySpace from liability for ineffective security measures and policies relating to age verification.

http://www.forbes.com/technology/ebusin ... space.html

If TIF actually ENFORCES (which they don't - which is funny considering they literally broke the rules before they even posted) the age limit here, there shouldn't be a problem I think.

Not to mention that the site owner is a citizen of Italy IIRC so he's safe from sue-trigger people.

Silverion is not "safe" from sue happy people because he lives anywhere, you seem to have that misunderstood.

The server resides in the United States, therefore the site is subject to laws in the United States.

And yes , we DO enforce the age limit laws in the United States (COPPA), which states only that Parental Consent must be obtained in regards to collecting Private Information. Which actually we do not, we do not require anything but an email address and a password upon registering. We do not ask nor want a users real name, age, address, phone number , social security number or anything else which could directly identify them. Our forum software comes packaged compliant with COPPA and has not been edited. If a user lies and clicks that he/she is 13 or over when registering, we are not liable and must only remove their account if their legal parent or gaurdian requests it, and provides legal documentation proving their claim.

Then again , this has nothing to actually do with the topic. The admins are still addressing the pros and cons , and until a decision everyone that agrees to is made , sorry , you'll all just have to ride it out.

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear

Silverion is not "safe" from sue happy people because he lives anywhere, you seem to have that misunderstood.

The server resides in the United States, therefore the site is subject to laws in the United States.

And yes , we DO enforce the age limit laws in the United States (COPPA), which states only that Parental Consent must be obtained in regards to collecting Private Information. Which actually we do not, we do not require anything but an email address and a password upon registering. We do not ask nor want a users real name, age, address, phone number , social security number or anything else which could directly identify them. Our forum software comes packaged compliant with COPPA and has not been edited. If a user lies and clicks that he/she is 13 or over when registering, we are not liable and must only remove their account if their legal parent or gaurdian requests it, and provides legal documentation proving their claim.

Then again , this has nothing to actually do with the topic. The admins are still addressing the pros and cons , and until a decision everyone that agrees to is made , sorry , you'll all just have to ride it out.

I had a feeling, indeed, that US law would be applicable here, which was one of my concerns regarding the matters mentioned. While tip.it does indeed enforce the COPPA agreement, as you stated there are some users who will lie and sign up anyways under said age.

Now while users are not directly forced to give out personal information, the topic at hand is how much personal information should they be permitted to give out in public areas of the forum. Most sites that do catch flack is due to information that they volunteerily choose to make public or exchange with other users, not registration data which usually only the providers see.

At the end of the day, the issue really does not matter to me personally. However, I figured to this point the majority of the thread had been more about the fact that the users wanted it, rather than discussing possible cons regarding user safety and legal issues. So I felt that I should convey what I see to be possible negatives as well, as it is always important to look at both sides when debating an issue as important as personal information.

In any event, I have faith in the abilities of the administrators to carefully debate and come up with a reasonable decision, after examining all the pros and cons of the matter.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey hey, I have an idea. Why don't we have a poll? I mean that's what we did last time there was a 'big issue' to look at.

But this one's like something that the admins are concerned about for "safety", it's not like taking away post counts, which has no general effect on the "safety" of people, and either way, nothing bad nor good would happen from taking away post counts.

I agree with errdoth :-k A poll would not work in this situation. I'm sure that majority of the community would like pictures to be allowed, but it's not a matter of the users' opinion. It's about the safety of our users and the potential risk of allowing people to show and discuss too much personal information.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

What I don't understand is why it is that there's this philosophy that we have to hold to some higher standard of not allowing pictures, as if it's dangerous. Most forum fansites allow it. I mean we have sites like myspace and facebook which circulate around people's pictures. I just don't think it's that big of a danger. I mean with everything in life there's a possible danger. You cross the street and there's a danger. Just because there's that .001% of danger doesn't mean we should disallow it altogether.