The Photo of the month! -May's Theme: Unity-

woopidoo2

I expected this thread to be a total mess :shock:

Well, I moved to another house, and I have no internet connection. Exept for now, this is my fathers laptop.

This thread stays in a break until thursday, unless another moderator updates it.

I think it is best to stick with Greenslimes idea, so if you want to start photographing already go ahead :)

-woopidoo2.

carsignatureis3.jpg

[http://woopidoo2.deviantart.com]

[Tip.it Moderator from Dec 10, 2006 to 03 Sep, 2008]

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eww, animals, I might have to wait for next month.

Unless I can find something either saved away on computer, or if... I... actually take some more animal photos :-s .

Animals was March's theme :P The voting process is still taking place, I believe. The theme for April is not yet written in stone.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Eww, animals, I might have to wait for next month.

Unless I can find something either saved away on computer, or if... I... actually take some more animal photos :-s .

Animals was March's theme :P The voting process is still taking place, I believe. The theme for April is not yet written in stone.

January...Feburary... March... Oh ya your right it is April #-o.

mybest_1.jpg

-All sigs by me.

[My Gallery]

an idea for a good topic, sky shot.

basicly a pic of the sky XD

seen some amazing sky pics, look of deviantart, or visit my dev page and browse faves

admitidly, i dont have loads, hmm, one good artist to look at, hes amazing!

PJB21

Oh that would be pretty good. I suggest star trails. Go somewhere in the country with little light pollution and set your tripod up and then lock the mirror up and go to bed. Set the alarm way before the sun comes up. Then get up and unlock the mirror and enjoy your star trails. The canon way to do it is to go to the options, then custom functions then find the one that says mirror lockup and set that to setting one. Go to manual exposure mode, set it to bulb and then press the shutter release and it should stay locked up 'till you press it again. If that doesn't work for canon users, consult your user manual.

alternativly set your camera to say, 5 second exposure, with fair light input, go to middle of wide open space, point camera upward, start exposure and sweep the camera in a smooth arch. heh, it works....

its just because i have early mornings... XD

PJB21

sigpjb2101sigdy6.png

100% my own work, i make my own brushes: set 1 set 2

alternativly set your camera to say, 5 second exposure, with fair light input, go to middle of wide open space, point camera upward, start exposure and sweep the camera in a smooth arch. heh, it works....

its just because i have early mornings... XD

PJB21

I guess that would work, but you'd be taking loads of those as it would be hard to master the smooth arc unless you had it on a tripod, and even that would be really tricky.

If you don't have a mirror lock up function, you could try the blue-peter worthy method. Take some selotape and tape the shutter release down while in bulb mode. Those people with Creative Compact cameras would need an ND filter to keep the image at the correct exposure. If only a few people were going to try the hour long exposures, it would probably be better to get people to do a different theme and those wanting to do the long long exposures could do it for pleasure and not competition.

If we're going with panoramas, does anyone know any good programs to do the stitching? Photoshop doesn't work very well with the photomerge function :|

sig3j.jpg

If you have a goal, go for it :D Work hard, be proud and be yourself ;)

If we're going with panoramas, does anyone know any good programs to do the stitching? Photoshop doesn't work very well with the photomerge function :|

Photostitch is very good. I know that all Canon users should have that bundled with their camera. I'll try to find some software available for free that's good.

And I think that DementedHero is the first person to win both the manipulated and the unmanipulated sections in one month. Congratulations! =D>

EDIT: Here's one I made today made up of 3 images stitched together using the above program.

panoramicsmallhv1.jpg

Photostitch is a very simple program to use - three steps and you're done!

EDIT #2: This might be better than photostitch. I've downloaded it but not tried it. It is virus free. If there are any viruses you can hold me personally responsible. I'll find a techy to check it though.

EDIT #3: I've removed the link until I have had it checked and verified as virus free.

EDIT #4: The download is verified as safe so the link is fixed and ready to use.

I didn't really think the quality loss would be too much of a problem as we're not gonna be making huge prints of them. I'll find some other programs that are better.

I'll just take this opportunity to wish all entrants the best of luck in the forth coming May Photo Of The Month competition. I'm sorry that I'll be unable to take part due to my SQA exams taking place throughout May. Good luck everyone!

Allright, Ill clear this thing up.

We will have no contest this month. :(

I still have to count the winners of last month, and its very hard keeping this up to date when you have no permanent internet connection and alot of school work.

I still have to arrange a new topic with Greenslime, we have talked about this (Simply put, he will help organizing the POTM by making a new topic which he has made, with the information of this topic.)

Again, it would help alot if another moderator would help, I am just very busy for 4 days (except for the upcoming vacation in may)

So this is how it works for now, sorry for everyone who entered already.

You may start discussing about next month's theme. (If we cant get a subject we all like, I will make one up :wink: )

-woopidoo2.

carsignatureis3.jpg

If you make the theme can u not participate, if u still can I would like to see a water theme (seeing that I live near water.) Are we also allowed to enter photos that we have taken a long time ago?

You can participate if you make the theme, yes.

A water theme sounds good but just now we've got alot of people studying for exams so just now probably wouldn't be a great time for POTM.

POTM is likely to start in June.

Photos being entered in the competition have to be taken that month, I'm afraid.

Lets bring this topic Alive! :)

I have finally updated the scores, you can see the results at the first page.

About May's theme:

Unity.

I decided to keep the ideas for another time, I could not decide what to pick so I made up an own theme.

How to enter?

You make 4 photos, or 9 photos that match together, but you have 4 or 9 different photos. They become one together, a unity.

What should I photograph?

Just some examples:

Books,Objects,Parts of instruments,Things you use daily,Shapes,Simple Things,Sports,Hobbies,Animals,etc.

(Example of a 4 photo entry, the dots are photos:)

. .

. .

9 photo entry:

. . .

. . .

. . .

I expect alot of entries, I am sure you all can make something good out of this. :wink:

Good luck, and have fun. (I will :) )

carsignatureis3.jpg

yay! gotta find my camera :P

water will be kewl (if we do it)

so, let me get this straight, unity is 4 (or 9) photos atached to form a grid?

il go start looking....

hmm, things i use daily, my tip.it link on my desk top and uuh... the bathroom?

FRONTPAGE.png

{DeviantART}{Last.Fm}{Join Sublime GFX, great community for artists!}

Back to RuneScape, Again.Avatar by Brian The Great

so, let me get this straight, unity is 4 (or 9) photos atached to form a grid?

Yes, you attach all of your photos together. (Dont forget to crop them :) )

Is the deadline still going to be one month?

Yes, you have 28 days left :wink:

carsignatureis3.jpg

I'm afraid I won't be able to compete in this months competition - though it seems like the best theme yet. I've got all of my standard grade exams this month, and I'm unlikely to be able to take and edit photos because of studying. I'm on study leave just now and just popped on to see what was going on with this and it seems I've misled you with regards to this month's competition. I did say that it was likely to start again in June which, at the time I thought was the case. I'm sorry for any confusion that I've caused. Thank you Jelle for organising this month's theme so quickly. I'm just sorry I can't take part.

Slightly off-topic: I've been writing a guide for buying a D-SLR and I've just the glossary to type up. It has tables for comparison so it can't be posted but if anyone would like it before the glossary goes in I'll be checking my e-mail still so a quick e-mail and I'll fire it out to you. It's pretty long though - 2000+ words. :shock:

Way off-topic: I'm gonna be getting to meet Colin Prior and if anyone wants me to ask him anything and get back to you I'll try to ask him them and let you know what he said. If you don't know who Colin Prior is here's his website. He's an amazing photographer. I'm going to try my best to speak to him, he might not want to speak to individuals at a lecture.

I'm afraid I won't be able to compete in this months competition - though it seems like the best theme yet. I've got all of my standard grade exams this month, and I'm unlikely to be able to take and edit photos because of studying. I'm on study leave just now and just popped on to see what was going on with this and it seems I've misled you with regards to this month's competition. I did say that it was likely to start again in June which, at the time I thought was the case. I'm sorry for any confusion that I've caused. Thank you Jelle for organising this month's theme so quickly. I'm just sorry I can't take part.

Slightly off-topic: I've been writing a guide for buying a D-SLR and I've just the glossary to type up. It has tables for comparison so it can't be posted but if anyone would like it before the glossary goes in I'll be checking my e-mail still so a quick e-mail and I'll fire it out to you. It's pretty long though - 2000+ words. :shock:

Way off-topic: I'm gonna be getting to meet Colin Prior and if anyone wants me to ask him anything and get back to you I'll try to ask him them and let you know what he said. If you don't know who Colin Prior is here's his website. He's an amazing photographer. I'm going to try my best to speak to him, he might not want to speak to individuals at a lecture.

Eek, the post above is your 666st post :P

Luckily I have a vacation this whole week, so I have a chance to participate, after 2 months without adding a photo.

Colin Prior is pretty good indeed :o

Could you ask him:

What was his very first camera?

When did he start?

What kind of lenses does he use, and why?

I guess you would ask the same questions, but hey :)

Also offtopic: At the end of this month, I finally have all the money to buy my Canon EOS 350D. At first I wanted the 400D, but because of the price difference and the minor updates I decided to go for the less newer version. I really cant wait, Ive read so many reviews about it... :)

By the way, does anyone have some experience with buying memory cards/compact flash cards? and the speeds, 10mb+ per second?

carsignatureis3.jpg