Whip - Most Overated Weapon in the Game...

andylax38

Probably going to get flamed for this because so many people are in love with there whips but at least listen to my argument before you attempt a retort.

Reason #1 - No Strength Training

As you can see from my stats I am a very heavy strength trainer. This therefore is my biggest problem with the whip, the fact that one cannot train strength with this weapon effectively. This is not to say whip does not have its advantages when training attack or defense but not being able to train strength effectively is a big problem in my opinion.

Reason #2 - D Scim

From my personal experience use both whip and d scim I have found that whip only increases my max hit by 1 and I hit relatively as often with both weapons. This therefore brings price into the equation where whip go for around 1.9mill at the moment and d scim can be bought for 100k. This is a 1.8mill difference being payed for a weapon that only hits 1 damage better.

Reason #3 - People

It really makes me made when I see level 70's and even a few 80's who there soul goal in this game is to own a whip. They save up all their money for months and finally can afford it yet they don't have a decent set of armor to complement such a weapon. I personally would much rather spend 2 mill on torags, d scim, and dds then a whip with full rune.

Well thats my two cents on why I feel whips are incredibly overrated feel free to post comments and rebuttal my argument I will not be affended by any comments made.

~>~Check Out My Bursting Guide~<~

Current goals - 99 Slayer, 99 Summoning, 85 Dungeoneering

Achieved goals - Quest Cape, 99 Strength, 85 Slayer, 99 Range, 88 Summoning, 90 Slayer, 99 Magic, 99 Farming

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pretty much fall into the last category, an 80 (well 88) with rune and whip yet you don't know what people may have in the bank, I have 5m cash and items adding up to another 1.5m. I'm just using that to raise my non-combats.

I agree that the d scim is next to as good as the whip but now they are below 2m and people are finding it easier to make this money people will keep buying, that 1 extra on max hit may make a difference to someone :P So I agree with most of your argument but some not as much

wildxyak.png

99: Agility 28/12/14|Thieving 20/03/15

Towards reason 1:

Yes, this is the only downfall in my opinion. I however, like to have Strength, Attack, and Defence at the same level.

Reason 2:

Many people look at max hit to judge a weapon. While max hit difference isn't much, I find myself hitting consistent 10+ hits with a whip, while with a scimmy, I see many more 0's

Reason 3:

I guess this one is a matter of opinion. But I know alot of people who would pay 10m for this wonderful weapon.

Want to train strength? Use a scimitar.

I don't understand why you made the second point. You said that strength was important to you, but you complain about and extra damage point for 1.8m.

The third point sounds like jealousy to me. You want to know what I think? I think torags is overrated. Why would you pay 1.8m on armor you need to repair when you can buy a weapon (the best weapon, I might add) that is a one time only fee?

1) thank you so much for making those three points. i am glad to see that there are still ppl left in the world who actually knows how to prove a point with facts

2)now to th business, although u cannot train str ewith the whip, it is ALOT more consistent, maybe ur just unlucky. in my opinion the scimmy is very strong (a fav of mine actually) but the whip is just stronger. although i have to say, in pvp, i'd rather the scimmy over the whip

This is pretty much what I expected anyway, just thought I'd throw my opinion out there. Still not a big fan of the weapon prefer my scim any day, o well, thanks for your comments

Achieved goals - Quest Cape, 99 Strength, 85 Slayer, 99 Range, 88 Summoning, 90 Slayer, 99 Magic, 99 Farming

They save up all their money for months and finally can afford it yet they don't have a decent set of armor to complement such a weapon. I personally would much rather spend 2 mill on torags, d scim, and dds then a whip with full rune.

what do you do when your torag breaks? if 2mil is all your $?

also, lets goto tip.its max hit calc(which i know is incorrect) i max naturally a 32 so says tip.it with a whip, d scimmy i max 30 with.

let pot and prayer, it says 39 with dragon scimitar 42 with whip.

ok that was just a tidbit of info, now you think torag is decent armor? what do you think rune/dragon is? dude cmon, people played runescape before rune was made... its not that torag is decent, its that rune is good and torag is just better, no reason for rune to be considered garbage, its cheap it works... what else could you want? i wear a fighter torso, it has less def then an addy plate, but with +82 slash def...which is alot. but still i dont care its all about str bonus.

and cmon, people survived without whips and scimmys before to...

i just think you dont want to lvl your combat because... the whip cant train str it forces you to lvl your attack and def.

It takes 15 hours of straight combat to break and by that time i'm sure anyone can make the 200k + to fix it. Also I have never denied that whip is a great weapon I just think that people put it on a very high pedestal when it doesn't deserve to be regarded in such a light.

It takes 15 hours of straight combat to break and by that time i'm sure anyone can make the 200k + to fix it. Also I have never denied that whip is a great weapon I just think that people put it on a very high pedestal when it doesn't deserve to be regarded in such a light.

perhaps it doesnt. but what makes torag so special that you need to be in it for 15 hours? or at all?

It is not the extra damage that counts but the greater speed of the weapon. Thats why whip and ddp++ are the best 2 weapons to own.

For my part I had 99 str before slayer came out, so traning strength was never the issue.

sggyhj8.png

RuneScape HD in 2560x1024!

I know the answer and, because I cannot convey screaming feverishly on forums without looking odd or getting banned, just imagine it as such.

Torags just made sense for my argument because it costs around the same amount as a whip and has much better defense then rune. Nothing special particularly about torags just seemed to fit well in my argument.

Whip has faster attack rate (same as dagger) and gives 82 STR bonus against scimmy's 66.

Daggers, whips, and scimitars all have the same attack speed

I've always thought that scimmy fell between dagger and sword :o , well at least I've learned something tonight. (I stand by the STR bonus figures though O:) )

Why is 'common sense' so named, when there is so little of it about?

Welcome to puberty, we've been expecting you.

newsighq9.jpg

Reason #1 - No Strength Training

As you can see from my stats I am a very heavy strength trainer. This therefore is my biggest problem with the whip, the fact that one cannot train strength with this weapon effectively. This is not to say whip does not have its advantages when training attack or defense but not being able to train strength effectively is a big problem in my opinion.

It's a great weapon, had to have a downside

Reason #2 - D Scim

From my personal experience use both whip and d scim I have found that whip only increases my max hit by 1 and I hit relatively as often with both weapons. This therefore brings price into the equation where whip go for around 1.9mill at the moment and d scim can be bought for 100k. This is a 1.8mill difference being payed for a weapon that only hits 1 damage better.

There's a diference of 12 in the strength bonus and 1.8m in money between D scim and Abby whip.

There's a diference on 4 str bonus and 2.1m money between berzeker ring and no ring.

People allways wants the most strength bonus, it doesn't matters the price.

Reason #3 - People

It really makes me made when I see level 70's and even a few 80's who there soul goal in this game is to own a whip. They save up all their money for months and finally can afford it yet they don't have a decent set of armor to complement such a weapon. I personally would much rather spend 2 mill on torags, d scim, and dds then a whip with full rune.

That's relative, i would personally preffer whip with full rune.

I finally sold my whip and bought dharoks. I get 25k more xp per hour with dharoks than with a whip. I train at ankous btw, 65k a hour. Plus I make tons of money from runes. I will never own a whip again.

99 smithing rsc

You should also add that a whips special is quite bad.

Thought about that but d scim also has a horrible special :P