The bible

Notorious_Ice

I believe the Bible is fact and if someone has questions, ask away.

why does god behave in a vastly different manner between the old and new testament.

why does god order the killing of non jews in the book of joshua then have his son preach to turn the other cheek in the new testament.

The old testament is mostly stories....told to teach a meaning, not really a true fact that it actually happened.

The new testament is more of the truth with Jesus Christ and his life. With things that actually happened.

(840th To 99 Farm. Achieved on February 13th, 2008.) (2942th To 99 Crafting. Achieved on September 9th, 2008.)

(23671th To 99 Magic. Achieved on January 17th, 2009.) (46913th to 99 Hit Points. Achieved on March 20th, 2009.)

(30680th to 99 Range. Achieved on March 21st, 2009.) (66351th to 99 Attack. Achieved on July 8th, 2009.)

(2856th to 99 Herblore. Achieved on August 21st, 2009.) (45985th to 99 Woodcutting. Achieved on November 15th, 2009.)

(6119th to 99 Smithing. Achieved on December 24th, 2009.) (98100th to 99 Cooking. Achieved on January 1st, 2010.)

(63214th to 99 Defence. Achieved on January 30th, 2010.) (122697th to 99 Strength. Achieved on February 11th, 2010.)

(15249th to 99 Prayer. Achieved on March 21st, 2010.) (34209th to 99 Fishing. Achieved on July 7th, 2010.)

(9259th to 99 Summoning. Achieved on July 29th, 2010.) (51712th to 99 Firemaking. Achieved on September 6th, 2010.)

(109036th to 99 Fletching. Achieved on September 28th, 2010.) (15821th to 99 Slayer. Achieved on February 3rd, 2011.)

(11652th to 99 Construction. Achieved on June 18th, 2011.)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[hide=]

why does god behave in a vastly different manner between the old and new testament.

why does god order the killing of non jews in the book of joshua then have his son preach to turn the other cheek in the new testament.

The old testament is mostly stories....told to teach a meaning, not really a true fact that it actually happened.

The new testament is more of the truth with Jesus Christ and his life. With things that actually happened.

[/hide]

should not a divine being be a constant throughout history? Also, the Old testament is a historical text, a lot of the book of Joshua battles have been proven to have occured at some level.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

Because both books where written by different authors.

Because the bible is fiction and people are taking it way to seriously.

~Dan64Au

Since 27 Aug 2002

it also contains was I consider to be the best and most diverse literary writing styles

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you there.

Hardly.

Maybe the earliest writings ( Genesis, Exodus, etc.)

But after reading the Bible and comparing it with holy books from other faiths, it seems as if it was written by a 5 year old...in ESL. It is morose prose. hey, I'm a poet and I didn't even know it. \'

No meter, no rhyme, no rhythm, no colourful description. it is in fact very simple story explained in laymans terms, literature-wise unadulterated.

I personally think that maybe God was preparing for Christ's coming because as you notice, the Old Testement rules are as strict as can be. After Jesus died on the cross and ascended into heaven, it looked like the Old Testement rules were gone and instead was something new and easier to follow.

That somewhat adds up with my response to your previous question.

Because both books where written by different authors.

While that is true, pretty much the only way to see it is that God told the authors what to write (I am not sure about Song of Solomon though). If you don't believe in God, what I said will probably sound weird.

Not true. The bible, even if you don't believe in the God parts, is considered to be historical data. No flaws have been found in the bible and there were many archaelogical digs that supported certain stories from the Bible.

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

should not a divine being be a constant throughout history? Also, the Old testament is a historical text, a lot of the book of Joshua battles have been proven to have occured at some level.

Not if you're considering two different religious entities.

I wouldn't go so far as to fiction, as it does contain skewed historical data, but yes, it is often taken too seriously, by atheists and theists alike.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

My policy with religion and the bible has always been the same: By man, for man. We wrote it for our own purposes. However I don't necessarily believe that was bad at the time. Something had to answer the old questions, "What are those lights in the sky?" "What makes water flow?" and all that. But in this day and age, do we still need that?

Religion doesn't answer those questions. Just as science can't answer whether or not you should love people.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

My policy with religion and the bible has always been the same: By man, for man. We wrote it for our own purposes. However I don't necessarily believe that was bad at the time. Something had to answer the old questions, "What are those lights in the sky?" "What makes water flow?" and all that. But in this day and age, do we still need that?

Religion doesn't answer those questions. Just as science can't answer whether or not you should love people.

Science also can't answer one of the biggest questions out there: How did life originate?

Science also can't answer one of the biggest questions out there: How did life originate?

They are working on it

to the people that responded to me

as long as the old and new testament are in the same book I consider it to be talking about the same deity, unless christianity has two seperate gods and they never mentioned this to the common people.

awteno.jpg

They are working on it

Yes, but I thought science was all about seeking patterns to find out the universal truths. So far science has yet to discover a method that mimics the creation of life from something completely inorganic.

They are working on it

Yes, but I thought science was all about seeking patterns to find out the universal truths. So far science has yet to discover a method that mimics the creation of life from something completely inorganic.

Im not well versed in everything we have proven about cells but the main one is scientists have proven that fats in water can form primitive structures that resemble cell membranes. These could have formed(with luck) around the other materials needed for life and formed a cell.

Clearly, a lot more pieces of this have been worked out that I have not heard of, but the main thing is they are working on creating life from non life.

awteno.jpg

At this moment, it's just as plausible as the idea of god creating life. They can work on it all they like, but until they can successfully mimic it I'm going to remain a skeptic.

At this moment, it's just as plausible as the idea of god creating life. They can work on it all they like, but until they can successfully mimic it I'm going to remain a skeptic.

agreed, but it is the duty of science to find out everythign eventually so Im sure they will figure it out, and then it will be banned for being immoral :lol:

awteno.jpg

agreed, but it is the duty of science to find out everythign eventually so Im sure they will figure it out, and then it will be banned for being immoral :lol:

I doubt this or perhaps they will in like a cajillion years but then, it wouldn't matter anymore.

8888kev8888.jpeg

Sigs by: Soa | Gold_Tiger10 | Harrinator1 | Guthix121 | robo | Elmo | Thru | Yaff2

Avatars by: Lit0ua | Unoalexi | Gold Tiger .

Hello friend, Senajitkaushik was epic, Good luck bro.

There will always be unanswerable questions, especially for us limited humans. Like that one grandfather paradox - what would happen if you went back in time and killed your grandfather? If his death prevented your birth, then you wouldn't be alive to go back in time to kill him in the first place.

Wouldn't both my grandfather and I die at the same time I killed him? By killing him, that would prevent my birth which means that I would disappear as soon as he died...? :-#

8888kev8888.jpeg

Sigs by: Soa | Gold_Tiger10 | Harrinator1 | Guthix121 | robo | Elmo | Thru | Yaff2

Avatars by: Lit0ua | Unoalexi | Gold Tiger .

Hello friend, Senajitkaushik was epic, Good luck bro.

you could go back in time and kill your own grandfather; if you returned however, you would have no parents and no history. To be alive you dont have to have parents, you just have to have been born from them at one point, time travel makes you exist in a different way basically.

awteno.jpg

you could go back in time and kill your own grandfather; if you returned however, you would have no parents and no history. To be alive you dont have to have parents, you just have to have been born from them at one point, time travel makes you exist in a different way basically.

But if your grandfather died you would of never been born to time travel.

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

Pureprayer, you're awesome.

Here is the thing. If time travel was possible then going back in time would remove you from the reality you had been in, killing your grandfather would not make you cease to exist because there is nothing to cause your disappearence. Anything you do in the past alters what would exist in the future, but as soon as you time traveled you altered your existence to the world.

awteno.jpg

They are working on it

There are actually some plausible mechanisms to the creation of life from non-life (abiogenesis). I'll be happy to post some links if you're interested. Perhaps PM is a better way to do it, though.

• 2 months later...

If T.V. has taught us anything, its that if you do that, you'll still live, realise that he could not possibly be your grandfather, and you'd become your own granfather.

But yeah, theres a paradox. For one, if you kill your grandfather, you don't exsist. If you don't exsist, you never went back in time to kill your grandfather. Since your grandfather never died, you can exsist. Since you exsist, you went back in time...

See? It just continually loops.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

Actually theres many different ways in which time travel could work, and since we havent successfully done it yet we dont know how it will work. All that physics says is that there is nothing inherent in the maths which proves it impossible.