Rs becoming more individualistic?

highlanders

For those who where playing atleast a year from now, I wonder if you noticed this aswell, or maybe it's me? I was thinking, trying to put my finger on the overal atmosphere or attitude of the people in-game. Individualistic is the word that pops in my mind. I swear ppl didn't have this attitude a year or so ago. And the people had even less that attitude back in rsc, everyone who played rsc misses that. But I would need to think a little more to try and figure out the cause of all that change of attittude, if it is.

2480+ total

Yea, i have noticed slight change..

People used to be nice and helpful, not cussing much, not too much arguing about how high someones stats are.

But nowadays, you ask for help with something. sure people help you, to get out of their sight.

You say hi to someone you haven't seen before, you get reply "who the lalalalla are you????????".

now you say to friend "my skill total is 555, im doing good imho", and some random idiot comes behind and says "rotfl u nub omg lolololoololol!!! mine is 1600!!!! roflecopter!!!" etc.

Ahh, i truly miss the old spirit

[/url]">i_had_a_deal.png
[4Th in Finland to achieve 99 mining. 3Rd of June 2007]

Pixels make me horny.

Yea, i have noticed slight change..

People used to be nice and helpful, not cussing much, not too much arguing about how high someones stats are.

But nowadays, you ask for help with something. sure people help you, to get out of their sight.

You say hi to someone you haven't seen before, you get reply "who the lalalalla are you????????".

now you say to friend "my skill total is 555, im doing good imho", and some random idiot comes behind and says "rotfl u nub omg lolololoololol!!! mine is 1600!!!! roflecopter!!!" etc.

Ahh, i truly miss the old spirit

The old spirit? Really? You know, I do recall what Runescape was like before chat filter implimentation, and let me tell you, people have always cussed in game. I recall a time when in my daily Runescape activities, I could see quite a number of ferocious public arguments involving the full scope of swear words, and even more lewd, illicit conversations taking place in public that really should have been confined to the privacy of another venue.

The way I see it, Runescape has always had a tendancy to attract a certain demographic; namely young, high school aged children. Not to say that it can't be fun for other age groups, but I daresay that a large portion of the population has always consisted of these types of people more so than adults of varying age groups. Therefore, it's not really that surprising to see such clear immaturity as that sort of behavior is to be expected when such a large portion of the players are adolescent. Mind you, this sort of behavior isn't indicative of all adolescents, but for many it is.

That being said, there are still classy players to befriend in the game, and I don't imagine that they are any easier or harder to locate than in previous years. I'm of the opinion that while the volume of players continues to swell over the years, the overall quality of interaction with other Runescapers remains about the same. I'm not saying that it's always a pleasant experience, but I do believe it has been a consistant one.

Nowadays you do see people being nicer to others.

I remember back a long time ago when someone got a gem from the general store. He was like, it's all mine!!!!! I am now richer than all of you!!!!

Good times.....

Individualistic would not be the correct word for you. You're probably thinking along the lines of selfish, but that isn't it either, nor is it really such a bad thing.

It's more of a combination of words used to describe the overall quality of players that now play these games. A few good words would be bitter, petulant, ignorant, miserable, immature, impatient, distasteful, and many other words that could describe the average attitude that you'd observe in the game.

Back in RSC, the people were simply happier. And the reason that is is because back then, you really had to love the game to play it. If you didn't like the game, you wouldn't play it. Even a minor interest in the game wasn't enough to keep you playing. Not as to say it was bad, but let's say it wasn't as appealing to such a wide spectrum of players as it it today.

And as times goes by, the more people play, and the more people that play the more likely you are to find some spiled little brat out to ruin someone's day. Let's face it, we are more likely to remember someone who is overly nasty than someone who is overly courteous.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

personally if anything, i have noticed an improvement, although the reason could be that i spend most of my online time outside of faladore, in world 2: this will bias the results of what i see because only the cleverer/more mature people would realize that world 2 is a good place to train since most of the population is no-lifing in fally

another possible reason is that, because im training slayer (82 currently) i spend most of my time at mid-high level monsters which few people have the desire to kill (aberrant specters.....) while also a very small part of the population being able to access them, and with that population being the older, more mature player, since most of the less matures players dont give a cabbage about slayer and only want to train combat using pc.

Individualistic would not be the correct word for you. You're probably thinking along the lines of selfish, but that isn't it either, nor is it really such a bad thing.

It's more of a combination of words used to describe the overall quality of players that now play these games. A few good words would be bitter, petulant, ignorant, miserable, immature, impatient, distasteful, and many other words that could describe the average attitude that you'd observe in the game.

Back in RSC, the people were simply happier. And the reason that is is because back then, you really had to love the game to play it. If you didn't like the game, you wouldn't play it. Even a minor interest in the game wasn't enough to keep you playing. Not as to say it was bad, but let's say it wasn't as appealing to such a wide spectrum of players as it it today.

And as times goes by, the more people play, and the more people that play the more likely you are to find some spiled little brat out to ruin someone's day. Let's face it, we are more likely to remember someone who is overly nasty than someone who is overly courteous.

I disagree with a couple of points here.

For starters, all the words you've used to describe today's players, I find, can be equally used to describe the average player of 5 years ago. You make it seem as if "really loving the game" is the determinant factor in the personability and quality of a player, but neglect to mention that there were myriad PKs who "really loved the game" and also were especially argumentative, perpetually bickering about the "n00bs" who would run away from them in the wildy. This insatiable category of people played RS fervently up until RS2 because at that point they disliked the "new" game so much that they left entirely or stayed on RSC; that's just a bit of perspective to quell the notion that RS2 is so much more playable than RSC.

In addition, you note that more people play as time goes on, which makes sense for any company that continually develops and reworks their own game as Jagex has for years and years now, but then say that the increase in volume means that you're more likely to run into uncouth players. I contest that while the sheer volume of players has increased, the proportion of crude to amicable players remains relatively the same, regardless of where you draw those lines.

In closing, you say that overly nasty people are more memorable than overly courteous ones. There was a time when I would have agreed with you. However, I've found that I enjoy the game more if I ignore the former and focus my energies on the latter. I find that if I focus on the poorer aspects of the game, I develop a disdain for Runescape, which is supposed to be a leisurely activity.

Therefore, I disagree with your last line. One of the very few things we have complete control over is our attitude toward other players in the game. Yes, there will always be a certain number of abrasive and a certain number of kind players in game, just like there will be abrasive and kind people everywhere you go in life, but your attitude toward them is what really makes the difference in whether or not you gain enjoyment or distaste from your interactions.

Yes, I have noticed a change, for the better or the worse. I have some fun friends with attitude, but they keep it in check and it can actually make me wanna "rofl". Some of them are just b*****, annoying/harrasing for their own pleasure and keeps taunting. There's a point where one stops and apologizes.

99 Fletch~~99 WC~~79/81 Fishing

87/94 Magic~~84 Range

Etha! Saradomin Forever~CW

CB: 107 Total: 1788+

ON BREAK

Some people in Runescape are individualistic. I hope for that never to be said about the people here at Tip.It. It's no fun to play RuneScape individualistically.

siggiebw2.png

Noted raw mackerel drop... Wtfh?

Always buying: Watermelon seeds, 2K each. Strawberry seeds, 800 each. Contact Via PM on forums.

Ya kinda wish i was there in the "good old days" lol ive only played for a year off and on so i dont mind being called a noob by the fellow tip-iters cause compaired to you guys i still am no matter how good my stats are...most of u have 2 to 3 years on me lol so i guess i have some catching up to do...but in the year ive been playin i have noticed that people think that if a lvl 3 has good stats they automaticaly are bots or autoers i persoanaly being a skiller am very affended by this steriotype and wish people wouldn't judge u b4 they even know u.

4geebl5.jpg

representen the lvl 3 skillers W00t also have a lvl 3 acc with 99 fishing =)

untitledto8.th.jpg

hows this for a lvl 3 bank pic?click and tell me if u like it!

Oh the old days...everything was sooo much better then. Everyone was so much nicer. Andrew came riding down on his rainbow unicorn and visited every player and showered gifts onto the land.

People over-glorify the past. In real life, in runescape, everywhere. Nothing's different.

I really haven't noticed but I have been camping out away from groups of people on RS for a long time now, and even when I'm in a bank I don't usually get involved in conversation unless I know the person.

I don't think its changed much, I just think people forget what it was like 'back then'. The mind pushes unpleasant things out of it, so we all might forget what it was really like

I know that happens to me all the time. I don't talk to an old friend because of particular reasons but every once in a while I think that maybe I was over reacting but then I talk to them again and I just realize "Omg I remember now"

I think saying people are un-helpful etc these days is an over generalisation.

There are far more people, especially in the 'high lvl' areas that noobs rarely get to, that are helpful than unhelpful.

It is just human nature to more distinctly remember bad experiences. So that 1 guy who called you a noob and said go away when you said hi sticks in your memories while the other 5 guys who were nice a friendly you may recall but don't place exactly where when or why.

I certainly know that I and everyone on my friends list pretty much, go out of our way to be helpful wherever possible. I mean during my wcing time at lleyta mages, I've walked atleast 20 people to the bow/sheild recharging elf

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I started playing about a month after rs2 was released, and I have noticed a change. The most noticable example I can offer is the conversation found at the docks on karamja when fishing in f2p. Way back when I started playing I actualy enjoyed some semi-intelegent conversation or a good debate. Now I try to ignore the conversation as it consists mainly of people experamenting with chat effects, name calling, and people repededly banging random keys.

I find that the decline of intelegent fishing conversation has happened along with the change of many players attitudes as they become more 'self-serving'.

I started playing about a month after rs2 was released, and I have noticed a change. The most noticable example I can offer is the conversation found at the docks on karamja when fishing in f2p. Way back when I started playing I actualy enjoyed some semi-intelegent conversation or a good debate. Now I try to ignore the conversation as it consists mainly of people experamenting with chat effects, name calling, and people repededly banging random keys.

I find that the decline of intelegent fishing conversation has happened along with the change of many players attitudes as they become more 'self-serving'.

I'm not saying this applies to you, but nobody ever considers that they themselves acted the same way when they first started as people do now when they first start. See, I'm willing to be there's a good chance you acted somewhat immature and had fun when you first started fishing joking around and making fun of things. At that age, or stage of maturity, those things seemed perfectly normal for you to talk about. Now that you're older, people are acting the same way you used to, but you've matured. This type of talk seems like everybody else changed and you've stayed the same to you, but people tend to only look at things through their own eyes. I think if you looked objectively at a bigger scheme of people and their habits in relation to their age/stage of playing, things stayed the same. It's you who changed, not the community. Now it's completely possible that you're over 18 and all that I said doesn't apply to you, but I think overall it applies to most people who started playing rs when they were 12-13, are now 14-18, and are wondering why everyone seems so immature. It's not the game that changed. It's the individual perspective.

runescape community sucks nowadays. there are so man 11 year old little immature kids who have no commond sense. they go around yelling stupid things and calling people noobs. most people can't even use proper grammar. leet-speak has taken over. this is one of the reasons i ignore all those people who can't even ask me something in proper english. it's not hard at all to type out all the words. i'm sure i type faster then people who use internet speak. it's just so frustrating when you see someone yelling noob everywhere. all those mine-is-bigger-then-yours arguments. just makes me wanna quit again. time to time i come across a decent person who speaks normal. and if you don't answer to a pointless question like "wc lvl" then you're an autoer. i've been lpaying for around 4 years and six months. the community was a lot better when i started playing.

it's impossible to find an intelligent conversation. all you can talk about is levels, fancy armour and other things that don't matter. and even the chat filter has been ruined aswell. i can't even pronounce my name (which i dislike, btw) ingame.

runescame - comunity = a very, very good mmo.

runescape + community = one of worst mmos i've played.

runescape community sucks nowadays. there are so man 11 year old little immature kids who have no commond sense. they go around yelling stupid things and calling people noobs. most people can't even use proper grammar. leet-speak has taken over. this is one of the reasons i ignore all those people who can't even ask me something in proper english. it's not hard at all to type out all the words. i'm sure i type faster then people who use internet speak. it's just so frustrating when you see someone yelling noob everywhere. all those mine-is-bigger-then-yours arguments. just makes me wanna quit again. time to time i come across a decent person who speaks normal. and if you don't answer to a pointless question like "wc lvl" then you're an autoer. i've been lpaying for around 4 years and six months. the community was a lot better when i started playing.

it's impossible to find an intelligent conversation. all you can talk about is levels, fancy armour and other things that don't matter. and even the chat filter has been ruined aswell. i can't even pronounce my name (which i dislike, btw) ingame.

runescame - comunity = a very, very good mmo.

runescape + community = one of worst mmos i've played.

i agree completely besides the last line.

I say that "noob" should be considered an offensive word cause its being abused in this game.. that might calm things down a little bit

range: 64/80/80

mage: 61/84/82

atk: 46/77/60

str 41/82/99

elvin007.gif

Well I've been playing RS since 2001, I don't play much anymore but I can say for a fact it is more individualistic, and I applaud that observation greatly.

I was avidly involved in the clan system, fought in major wars like Barbarian village and the Al Kharid war where I layed down my life for King Sabre (hahaha, Good Times).

With so many servers I don't think such things are possible anymore.

I started RS with the help of a kind fellow named Chip and I was given bronze chainmail and leggings, and was helped along the way by so many people, given many helpings, etc.

I won't go on about my RS history, but I am glad you made that observation.

RS Rank #805

The world has changed, so runescape just follows it :(

Yeah, from 2001 to 2007 the world really changed. Old traditional and conservative values out the window, and runescape followed. The entire world, from 2001, to 2007, has become self centered and individualistic, within those years, and runescape has followed.