Rule on title editing~New suggestion

I'll start with; 'Rule on title editing'.

Lets have some examples; :-w

Example 1: The user has now responded to all the posts, of which told him the same thing anyway, and yet two people still respond to it, after he is probably ever going to look at it again...

Example 2: Once again, a simple question which is answered, the person repsonds having verifactation from the Runescape home site, and then 3 posts down someone posts what's been said 4 times already AND verified before... =;

Well heres the suggestion.

Well i've been posting around Help and Advice alot lately as its half term and all im doing is woodcutting, and i've found alot of the questions asked, only take about 5-10 minutes to answer. Some questions only (and tend too) require one response from another user also...

Now, i think there ought to be a rule, that once the question has been answered, the author MUST edit the title saying it has been answered, and either report the thread, or leave it be to get locked later. Now, thats not just it. Furthermore, players should be discredited to post on the thread, if the question has been answered properly, and the situation disolved. Obviously if the thread were say, 'what is better a or b', then thats requires the opinion of many, and not just a factual answer.

So, why should they do this?

Now, sadly people seem to like post count, as opposed to helping people. They see Help and Advise as an easy way to get their count up... 9/10 they'll just repeat what the other person has said, or post a completely pointless piece of information that has no positive impact... For example, one person (not naming) got over 80 posts in one night, 3/4 of which they got from posting on Help and Advise.. .Furthermore, 90% of those posts on Help and Advise, were just quotes other people had made.

Why is that a problem?

Well, I for one get frustrated how certain users post exactly what you've said, and try to get credit for it. Also, they're practically posting 'spam' on boards, just to recieve an extra number by their name. Spam is posting pointless information... So, if the questions been answered, somone posting the exact same thing again is pointless isn't it? So i see it as spam... Which should not be tolerated.

Conclusion:

Construct a new rule that once a question has been answered, which requires just the correct fact, the author MUST edit the title and allow it to be locked. Furthermore, users who post once the question is answered, should be disciplined, if the post is deemed as pointless or repeated information.

Edit: This part is new as i have noticed a potential problem.

~Once the user has posted back on the thread he/she made, and has made it clear the post has been answered, then the title SHOULD be edited... I guess i forgot to add that after 'author MUST edit the post'...

Maybe i was thinking to intelligently when i meant the author is going to have to read the post to edit the title. :roll:

Feel free to post your ideas.

Gin_and_Tonic.

Self locking has alreadybeen discussed. In short, it can too easily be abused, so just continue to report a topic and a mod will take care of it. A topic that needs locking doesn't need to be acted on immediately like a topic with a keylogger or bad link, but action is usually taken within a few minutes of the report.

I like the h/a update tho, giving users the choice to edit the title with 'answered' so it can be locked and topics dont stay there for nothing

5637_s.gif

Pixel sigs by me.

Pixel Art

I did look about but couldn't find the other suggestion. Thanks for the link though. Search hasn't been great on my computer recently. #-o

Thanks for liking the second idea. I'll edit my post so it only has that idea, given my other has been already suggested.

While I understand what your trying for here, lately it seems that the solution is even worse. If people are going to edit the titles, they NEED to leave the original topic in place and add "ANSWERED" to the end of it. There are now a whole bunch of threads in General Help and Advise that just say answered and you cannot tell waht the thread was about. Post topics are important to avoid duplicates and make search results meaningful.

bop_dravian.png

I agree fully with bop_dravian. There is nothing more annoying then when a user edits a title and change it to something meaningless like 'Answered' or 'Close please'... Like already mentioned it makes it that much harder for someone to locate if and when they are searching for a topic.

I would also add that often there is more then one correct answer or sometimes the answer can be expanded or simply backed up by other users.

I agree fully with bop_dravian. There is nothing more annoying then when a user edits a title and change it to something meaningless like 'Answered' or 'Close please'... Like already mentioned it makes it that much harder for someone to locate if and when they are searching for a topic.

I would also add that often there is more then one correct answer or sometimes the answer can be expanded or simply backed up by other users.

What I hate more are people who edit the ENTIRE first post to 'answered' because the rest of the topic is then wasted.

And shuold someone have a similar problem later (especially in T&C) we can't find what was tried last time because the problem doesn't exist anymore :uhh:

What I hate more are people who edit the ENTIRE first post to 'answered' because the rest of the topic is then wasted.

And shuold someone have a similar problem later (especially in T&C) we can't find what was tried last time because the problem doesn't exist anymore :uhh:

True. I hate that greatly. If only their was a way to stop that from occuring.

Im not saying that people need to edit the entire first post, just the title...

And, to be serious, all new topics have probably been answered on, about, page 3 of help and advise, people are just to lazy to look it up in seach.

For example; 'Help On Desert Treasure'... I post them the link to a player made guide which has everything they'll need to know.

*Next day and this post is on the second page*

Another user posts; 'Im stuck on Desert treasure' - I once again refer them to the same guide as i did 16 hours ago, and their problems are answered...

IF people did use the search button, 90% of their questions could be answered without the topic even needing to be made.

"ditto" (lol)

As far as the spam posts on H&A (a person making 80 posts in one night, which is easily seen by clicking their profile and posts by user), I report a couple of them so that the mods can be aware of this spammer. There is a slight delay for me to report more than one post, but I figure it's worth it. ;)

Hopefully moderator action is then taken against the spammer (possibly resetting their post count) to teach them a lesson.

gallery_28257_123_2330.jpggallery_28257_123_196.gif

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

Today for example, i just answered a question for a user, he says 'thank you i have it now', then someone person, twenty minutes later, retypes what i've said, and adds some crap about firestrikes, when he asked about curses...

Not only do i feel demoralised to post in future as people are quoting me to look intelligent, but its also spam. <.<

I personally like this idea, seems once the question is answered other users just post on it to start a flame war or to repeat what has already been said. Silly way to get a post count level I usually will lock a topic once the question was answered. Locked~ Question answered. :)~ works great for me.

queenvalerie.png

I personally like this idea, seems once the question is answered other users just post on it to start a flame war or to repeat what has already been said. Silly way to get a post count level I usually will lock a topic once the question was answered. Locked~ Question answered. :)~ works great for me.

\' I take it you've been around Off Topic today then :?:

Hmm... an interesting dilemma... time for my $5.00 on the matter. (Intentionally twisted pun... :lol: ...) ... Although, I'm gonna sound semi-contradictive on a few things...

First off, I have noticed that the "Topic Line" has a seriously short limit. To accomodate something like this, the Tip.It Admins would have to add at least another 5 to 10 characters to the Topic Line Length Limit. I personally therefore suggest that a shorter header add like "[QSF]", which stands for "Question Solution Found" be what is added, preferably to the front of the thread title, if the thread author wants their thread locked due to completion. ::'

Second, some people do not fit the usual strand of those who can use a guide perfectly. This is sometimes why all these extra question topics keep popping up. I can not say this enough, there is no one perfect answer in many to most cases. I don't think people should get nailed for trying to expand. Stealing credit, yes we want to nail them... but not for expanding something, like how something can be "practically implemented" to a given situation. Think about it a bit. :-k ... Sure, credit should be given to the first to put the idea into the thread, but without thought for "practical implementation", what use is it?!? :-s

Third off, I think it is best to leave at least some spare room for additional answers to drop in after the initial notice of a topic being complete, just in case the first few solutions fail, without much fear of being shot for it. :? ... This will give time for those who aren't along the usual curve to have a chance to get additional help before they end up killing their own thread, as well as potentially lift the notification off that they are done. (This obviously, would re-open the topic for further discussion completely.)

Fourth, as for spamming with agreements, I feel that should be a case-by-case issue. Sometimes a little short-said agreement is helpful, like 1 or 2 posts max on a given point. :) ... But I digress on this, with note that 10 or 15 posts of just "I agree" or "+1" can be quite a bit annoying. <.<

Thanks to whoever reads my thoughts and takes them into consideration. For some reason, I am feeling awfully dizzy now. :| ... Please excuse me while I go try to figure out why. -.- ... (Personally, I think I used a brain cell too many at the same time. :lol: ...)

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I think it would be nice if people did this, similar to how things are handled in the marketplace subforums. We encourage users to edit their title to "Closed," "Bought," or "Sold" once they're finished with their thread. I don't think we need a rule enforcing title editing in places like General Help & Advice, more like a strong recommendation that it's done. Sometimes people like to hear the same answer from various people, to confirm that the first person is correct.

It's a great idea, so I agree :)

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Sometimes people like to hear the same answer from various people, to confirm that the first person is correct.

You're right about this, tripsis. I knew I forgot something in my post, I just couldn't figure out what before. #-o :wall:

To expand on this in a practical and real manner: Some people don't just trust the words of one person. Especially those who are new to these forums and are asking their first questions and posting their first thoughts.

To those who would be against tripsis and me on this, put yourself in a newbie's shoes. Think hard and think well. Would you just trust one person, or would you want at least 5 people saying the same thing before you did something that could potentially waste hours of your time and tons of your personal resources, only to result in it being a mere waste due to something going wrong?

(Personally, I'd want confirmation... :-s ...although, I only ask for help when even my friends can't help me.)

~Mr. Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I think, if i did not i apologise, say in my post that topics which do require a valid opinion, eg 'What should i alch', 'What should i kill', Etc, should be given the option to expand on, as information is vast.

However, many questions are actually short, simple answers, eg 'Where do i get this?', 'The stat boost of... is?' Require only the correct answer given once.

I like the idea of a simple heading, allowing Moderators to easily find posts which can be locked.

Nice ideas people. ::'

I think, if i did not i apologise, say in my post that topics which do require a valid opinion, eg 'What should i alch', 'What should i kill', Etc, should be given the option to expand on, as information is vast.

However, many questions are actually short, simple answers, eg 'Where do i get this?', 'The stat boost of... is?' Require only the correct answer given once.

Unless the first person makes a mistake without knowing it or the answer changes, sure, a single reply might be all that is needed... well, except for one problem. And in this case, I can see you did not read one of tripsis's posts (along with my expanding post) properly. You need to take into account, 'Gin_and_Tonic', that everyone visiting these forums are human. This means that those making their first posts will not trust a single answer. It must be backed by multiple agreeing replies.

~Mr. Devnull

True, however many posters forward them to links.

These links are 99% correct, based on the Tip.It fansites guides/bestiary etc.

For someone to post after another user, then there is clear evidence to prove he/she is correct, then this is why such a rule should be implimented...

Hmm... :-k ... and you think someone is going to just up and trust a guide? I've run into people who made me take them through a quest because they would not just up and trust a guide. I'm sorry, but your logic falls apart here.

It seems like you're some "Person who got straight 'A's in college". Did you know that kind of person is only set up to fail because they statistically don't really have that much "REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE"?!?!? *sigh* -.- ... Excuse me while I walk off until the next time someone replies. You're giving me an awful headache. :x

~Mr. Devnull

Why dont we look at the chance of a guide which is actually 'wrong'?

Lets look at this question;

'How can i complete monkey madess'

~Person comes along and posts the Tip.It guide and gives a brief explanation.

Are you telling me someone, off the top of their head without using a guide or reading anything, can give a more accurate answer than that of a guide which has been worked on for days? :notalk:

Edit: Also, if you feel obligated to try and flame a simple suggestion, dont... If this thread is giving you a 'headache', the last thing i'd want is for a fellow forum user to get emotionally hurt over a simple suggestion.

~I'd advise you not to post in future if you feel like if could effect you personally and/or mentally.

Why dont we look at the chance of a guide which is actually 'wrong'?

Lets look at this question;

'How can i complete monkey madess'

~Person comes along and posts the Tip.It guide and gives a brief explanation.

Are you telling me someone, off the top of their head without using a guide or reading anything, can give a more accurate answer than that of a guide which has been worked on for days? :notalk:

Guess what, I've had to do that, so I have serious experience on the issue. Especially with the "Rune Mysteries" Quest, which is vital to playing RuneScape properly.

As proof for that specific one, I've discovered due to the section of Varrock for the part with Aubury, the enemy NPC's that will attack a "Level 3" player ["Dark Wizard (Level 7)", "Mugger (Level 6)", "Giant Rat (Level 3 or higher)", "Jail Guard (Level 26)" (*gulp!*), and a few others] along the routes there and such, you either need a friend to assist you, or you must level up a bit before executing the quest, or be some experienced player who knows how to get past those enemies. The guide FAILS :shame: to cover this issue.

Edit: Also, if you feel obligated to try and flame a simple suggestion, dont... If this thread is giving you a 'headache', the last thing i'd want is for a fellow forum user to get emotionally hurt over a simple suggestion.

~I'd advise you not to post in future if you feel like if could effect you personally and/or mentally.

This is not a matter of emotional trouble or personal insult. The headache is only from frustration at someone's failure to research all sides of an issue, therefore forcing me to drop in to point out a major flaw.

Personally, I love discussing an issue. But when it gets to the point where I can tell the suggestion's starter really missed something, and then they won't own up to it, that's when I get a headache. "How", you ask? It uses all of my brain's power to put together something they will understand and figure out a proper solution to, or find that they want to drop their suggestion instead. (Yes, it hurts when I really have to think. -.- ... Don't "rag" on me about it.)

I know you meant well with this whole thing about Topic Title Editing, but in my observation from looking at all of this, you sadly ended up being too "one sided" with the issue.

Better luck to you in the future. :)

~Mr. Devnull

The first post cleary says any questions which are open to forum_user view-point should be discussed, provided it is not a series of repeated posts.

Im understand the fact that not all repsonse from a user are correct, and the small chance a rat may hit 1 on you 10times during a one quest, but this is besides the point of the editing.

ONCE the user has reponsded to thread, and ONCE the user has verifed he/she has the desired answer/solution, where is the need to keep posting?

ONCE the user has reponsded to thread, and ONCE the user has verifed he/she has the desired answer/solution, where is the need to keep posting?

Hi again... Let's see if I can give you at least a reasonable answer in a world filled with confusion. :)

Among other events? Let's see, I answered this up above, but I guess I can make note again... First, the user who asked may find it isn't working for them, to which they may need to keep their thread open longer. Second, 'another person' may find that the 'person who answered' the 'user who asked's question may not have answered it correctly, and could provide in the interim before the 'user who asked' looks again the proper answer to use and work with. (Check this especially against example one. You might get what I mean.)

As a note upon this, some will think they have the answer before they've actually executed it, and therefore just say from statistics that they have "verified it" and thank someone and think they are done. I have seen this happen too many times before, and this is why the above two cases keep occurring.

Admittedly, it may drive you and me nuts, but I'm at least highly tolerant of it. I'm also simply willing to help a person when they state they were wrong about something too, sometimes before they see it. :) ... (This admission and the above note isn't aimed at anyone. It is only just as a general help to understand where I'm coming from on the issue at hand. ;) ...)

BTW, please don't think I am nuts. I'm just trying to consider all the possibilites and the potential worst cases here where something might go wrong with trying to tighten down with an idea like this. If there is one thing I have learned in being a forum user, if you tighten a place down too far, it will fall apart.

Best Regards,

Mr. D. V. Devnull