Analysis of the Ring of Wealth

qeltar

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the ring of wealth (ROW). In particular, many people seem to think that they should be able to notice a big difference in drop rates by putting one on. However, when dealing with random, rare events like whip drops from abyssals, an increase in the chance of something occurring is usually not noticeable.

I decided to do a mathematical analysis of the probabilities to hopefully allow people to understand better why the ROW seems ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅuselessÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

if a player say killed 20000 abbyssl demons over a day or two the im sure they would notice the change in whip drop rates but the fact that no one can or usually does kill that many in a short space of time means that they cant really spot a differance.

great figures their and its always good to see some statistics and calculations.(yeah i no im a wright geek :anxious: =P~ \' )

tifsdac6mc.gif

There is a lot of data there which is kinda confusing, did you compare the worth of the drops or just a list of drops? I know when I tried ROW at first giants I got a lot of rune arrows and non-scim rune items. But without the ring I got more half keys (better than most rune drops at that time), rune scims and tons of runes.

Wow... :shock:

You really done your homework on this...Now i can kinda understand it better but really...just wow :shock:

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

if a player say killed 20000 abbyssl demons over a day or two the im sure they would notice the change in whip drop rates

Actually, they probably wouldn't. Or rather, they might, but they very well might not. That's one of the results of the simulation.

~q

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Well drops are based on pure luck mostly. Ring of wealth gives a slightly higher chance of getting a drop but it all boils down to pure real life luck.

True. Jagex have stated that the sub-routine that decides what drop you get after killing a NPC works like a roulette wheel, if the ball lands in the rare/valuable item slot a second wheel is spun to decide what item you get. You need to bear in mind that what Jagex considers a valuable item doesn't always coincide with what players do.

Fortunately I sold all of my Rings of Poverty long ago before the price drops. After killing over 3200 metal dragons with ROP and getting no dragon legs or skirt, I finally got wise and just used a ring of life. About 200 dragons later, bingo! Draggie skirt.

My first trip even to the abies yielded 3 whips in that trip, all without a ROP. The next couple of days I remembered to use it again and went two entire days without a single whip. Never wore the darn thing again.

I think the ROP is like a real life rabbit's foot. It's all in the mind of the beholder. :uhh:

First a quick note: I love the mathematical idea. I had the basics of odds-calculations, so I am not really sure how you calculated it, as I learned it in dutch ;) But I can see these numbers are reliable.

Second: The ROW does his job. You have proven it, mathematicly. But you say the average is about 55.8%. ^The way I interpertate (SP?!) I read when a ROW improves drops by 20%, the drops are getting 5.8% faster. Probaly reading it a bit off, but this is how I see it.

Maybe you could write the conclusion a bit more clear ;) I simply adore the research you did, the effort and ofcourse the maths. Good job =D>

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg

I recognize that this is excellent work, and I give "mad props" to you for doing this, but really... How many topics like this do we need? It seems like there are studies of certain things that happen time after time, such as this and the Barrows kill count. I don't think there is ever going to be a way to actually prove the Ring of Wealth's effects unless an official statement from Jagex is released. I think it's just up to us to believe whether or not the Ring of Wealth actually works, and if we think it's worthwhile. For me, I wear it just to satisfy my conscious.

Click here.

If you go there good things will transpire.

I have noticed with my rabbits foot something interesting. I used a rabbits foot from 68 to around 92 woodcutting. And i indeed got a lot of birds nests. Then after 92 i just stopped wearing it. Then i noticed a change, it would take longer to get a birds nest but the birds nests had better seeds in them.

So maybe the ring of wealth does increse your chances of getting something, but i think it reduces the chance of getting one of the best things. Same goes witht he birds nest.

prospektssigza4.jpg

I have noticed with my rabbits foot something interesting. I used a rabbits foot from 68 to around 92 woodcutting. And i indeed got a lot of birds nests. Then after 92 i just stopped wearing it. Then i noticed a change, it would take longer to get a birds nest but the birds nests had better seeds in them.

So maybe the ring of wealth does increse your chances of getting something, but i think it reduces the chance of getting one of the best things. Same goes witht he birds nest.

No. Like Qeltar said, in the end the ROW (and the same goes for the rabbit foot), can improve your change by 20%, but infact you can end up with less rare drops/bird nests. So basically you got unlucky. Even though you have quite a lot of data, Qeltar showed us that even when you have over 10times that data, you can still end up unlucky.

ltjemightyro9.png

Retired.

The average of these averages is 55.8%. So even with a HUGE amount of data, the 20% bonus doesnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t guarantee anything.

I read the entire post, but that caught my eye. The enchantment on the ring is explaind in the KB as "chance of recieving rare drops from monsters is increased"

of course we know the chance as being 20% from the quereys to jagex. What i am trying to get across is that it's totally random, no matter what you wear, but the ring 'increases the chance'. what is increasing the chance? having a 20% CHANCE of getting an item over, say, a 5% CHANCE of getting the item. Its random, and it always will be.

polarbeardaveyz9.png