Does the universe go on forever?

Deaners1212

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever wondered that? It just doesn't make sense, how can something just go on forever like that? If you really think about it there's nothing stopping it, it just seems like it has to go on forever?

The universe itself doesn't go on forever, but past it there is just... nothing :wink:

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

its impossible for us to know the answer for that.

its probaly like those old games, you keep going one direction and end up where you started :D

i prefered being a scorpian pit...

its impossible for us to know the answer for that.

its probaly like those old games, you keep going one direction and end up where you started :D

i prefered being a scorpian pit...

Then what's past the end of the known universe :lol:

smithie3.jpg

:? I thougth they had proven that the universe is ever expanding. You know, cause some parts are alot younger then others., especialy the farther away you get from a certain point.

Yeah but the space beyond it is infinite

smithie3.jpg

Rofl, nice one biffo.

Theres only a certain amount we can reach so we can never actually know.

Lvl 80 construction.

Dragon Drops: 11 (4 Chains, 2 Axes, 1 Med, 2 Skirts, 1 Legs, 1 2h)

God Wars Drops: 4 Zamorakian Spears, 1 Godsword Shard 1

As a Christian, I believe that God is going to come down, and take all of the believers up to heaven, then give the rest of the people a chance, and take the remainding believers and create a "new Earth". In a nutshell lol. For a more detailed, but very confusing explanation, please see the book of Revelation(A book in the Bible)

Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Aaronm14/

MY FAVORITE BAND:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=64310717

And the bible is the big book of lies, call me a racist if you must.

yeh its hard to comprehend its forever growing but its growing into nothin and turning nothing into something,

but what is nothing how can there be nothing there like what happens when u get there?

question that can never be answered :S

Aussie Aussie Aussie,

:D

If you consider the surface of a sphere our universe then you will see that there are no edges. When the universe expands the only thing that will happen is that everything in between each other will seem to move apart, much similar our own universe. I guess you could say what happens when you step off the sphere's surface but that like asking what is it like to have 4 dimensions of movement. Another interesting point about this surface is that there is no centre; everywhere looks like it could be the middle of the universe.

So finally I guess I could say that I believe the end of the universe is also the start of the universe (that it wraps around itself).

i hate to waste good remaining brain cells thinking about it...

I try to think of the Universe as the Men in Black law...

We are all inside a tiny marble being played by aliens....

- Only character in Runescape History maxed out in RSC and RS2

x843.png

Yes, the universe goes on forever. They say it's expanding because new galaxies are being created, but they are being created in the empty spaces. That's why some places are younger than others

i hate to waste good remaining brain cells thinking about it...

I try to think of the Universe as the Men in Black law...

We are all inside a tiny marble being played by aliens....

glad 2 no its not only me

Aussie Aussie Aussie,

:D

I literally get headaches trying to think about this. I mean if it doesn't go on forever, something does. Or nothing. But if nothing goes on forever it's just as wierd.

peterstretchfn5.gif

Actually maybe once you get outside the universe you go into another universe.. sort of like this universe is a planet in a different universe.. man this topic reminds me of how insignificant and tiny we are as human beings lol

I literally get headaches trying to think about this. I mean if it doesn't go on forever, something does. Or nothing. But if nothing goes on forever it's just as wierd.

I know what you mjean exactly! It's like thinking... ok. Here's earth. We know where that is. I can picture where that is. Now here's space. Where is space? Can I picture space? It just hurts.

And as for space going on forever... think about if it didn't... And as for the universe. If it's just empty space after the last particle in the universe, where is it exactly and how can there be an infinite amount of room with a finite amount of matter?

what we learned in physics at school was that the universe is not infinite, but is currently expanding so fast you would never be able to reach the edge of it.

Light itself cannot keep up with the speed at which the universe is expanding, which gives us 'doppler red shift', things further away in the universe appear redder. This is caused by the stretching of light beams as they travel from a point moving away from us faster than light can travel to us.

I figure the universe is doughnut shaped. mostly cuz doughnuts are great and if the universe is shaped like anything id want it to be something nice. would suck if the universe was shaped like... say.. an inflamed, puss filled cow udder.

The universe is currently expanding, like others said this can be seen by the redshift observed in the spectra of stars. The futher the star is away the greater the redshift.

This indicates that the speed at which stars move away from us increases as the distance between us and the star increases.

Along with the fact that everything seems to be moving away from us, or to be more exact that everything is moving away from everything.

We're forced to the following conclusion: Space is expanding, not because objects are moving relative to eachother. But because the scale of space is expanding.

This has to be true because there is no other way in which everything can move away from everything, plus it perfectly explains this distance dependency of the speed.

This of course doesn't really answer the question. The real question is, "what is the biggest volume which will ever contain matter?"

This depends on whether the universe will keep expanding or whether it will slow down and stop expanding and possibly even start imploding.

This then depends on the total mass of all matter within the universe. Fairly accurate estimations have been made of this. And the total mass is estimated to be just below subcritical (thus the universe will keep expanding).

However there is rumoured to be something as black matter. This is incredibly heavy and does not interact with electromagnetic waves at all and thus it cannot be seen or perceived by us in any normal way.

if this black matter exists then it'd be pretty much everywhere (if I remember correctly) it would lift the total mass of the universe far above the critical value and it would certainly start imploding at a certain point.

So in short, if black matter exists, the universe if finite. Black matter doesn't exist, the universe is most likely infinite.

I might've gotten a few things in the above wrong, but as far as I can remember it's correct :P so don't blame me if it's wrong ;)

vvvsig.gif

I get what you're saying purecheese, but isn't the "black matter" just.. a vacuum? Like.. it must weight absolutely nothing.. this subject is so damn hard :P

So what you're saying is, the universe is expanding, and everything is getting further away from each other, but no new galaxies etc are being formed?

it's called dark matter rather then black matter :oops: . Remembered that wrong for one. We would probably perceive black matter as vacuum

simply because it doesn't interact with electro-magnetic waves. So yea I guess that a vacuum would contain dark matter.

It does have an incredible mass though, but simply because this black matter would be pretty much everywhere we wouldn't be able to see the effects or atleast not in our normal lives.

This is more guessing as knowing though :P

So what you're saying is, the universe is expanding, and everything is getting further away from each other, but no new galaxies etc are being formed?
I didn't say that no new galaxies can be formed. What I did mention is that the universe has a total mass.

Which means that the total mass is constant and thus that no more matter can be created. Or atleast not on a large scale.

On the nanoscale in vacuum, visible particles are created out of nothing (or perhaps dark matter?). Particle + anti-particle these two particles annihilate very quickly again though :?

Into what? don't ask me

Anyway I should stop talking now as I don't really know what I'm talking about. Let's just keep it the fact that the total mass of the universe is important for the final size it'll reach :P

vvvsig.gif

It all seems to me that the universum is an explosion. And outsite universum could be a bigger world. In some explosions (can't remember the name in english) there is every element is created. And its also exppanding all the time. Sounds like an explosion in a bigger scale and in slow motion.

Reality is hundreds of times more beautiful and more interesting than delusions. Fairy tales just tend to be easier to follow than the wonderful intricacies of life.

:? I thougth they had proven that the universe is ever expanding. You know, cause some parts are alot younger then others., especialy the farther away you get from a certain point.

They prooved it by using red shift, or Doppler Shift.

Doppler shift is what makes a car sound lower-pitched as it moves away from you. A special version of this everyday effect applies to light as well - if an astronomical object is moving away from the Earth, its light will be shifted to longer (red) wavelengths.

:P

RIP Staking

RIP 2 Mage Short Specials

Lmao I so agree with you there.

Lmao I so agree with you there.

Agreed lol.

RIP Staking

RIP 2 Mage Short Specials