Tip.It Times - 13th June 2010

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

We're also looking for some more Did You Know submissions, so if you have an interesting fact that you think people might not know, PM them and you may find it in the Tip.It Times.

Enjoy the articles!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I like the article about the combat triangle. It made me see the options available in a proper combat triangle environment. Just imagine if mage, melee and range were all used in conjunction in the wilderness.

It makes me exited, but it also makes me wonder how good a job of it Jagex can do...

First post win!

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

For the second article, the author left out a point, that around 90% of people use melee. I like to range, and believe it or not I find my ability to kill mages adequate if not more so. But here is the rope, magic is expensive so there just is not all that many magers playing in a non profit mini game. Magic is great in pvp because of the vast amount of meleers. Rangers are unhappy because there is just not that many people for them to kill.

For the first, I once saw a kingly imp, and posted it on the form. The guy who caught it got a crown, he was quite happy.

I liked the article :) It was well written. I do agree that the triangle needs to be updated. There should be more incentives to train Range and Mage more so than Melee; Magic in particular. Who knows though, all we can do is wait and see whether or not Jagex is up to the challenge.

I'd REALLY like to see my 98 magic actually be useful in everyday combat...I think damage wise, magic is doing ok now, but it's still bloody expensive. And spending 4 inventory spaces at bosses doesn't work well.

As for vanity items, people play RS for fun. I have nothing against a set of "armour" without any stats being expensive. I wouldn't get it personally, but that doesn't mean other people shouldn't like it. Frankly, I usually bank all my weapons/armour unless I need them for something. The only hope I have for these vanity items is that the GE price keeps up with them, so that whatever the price on them in the GE, they are actually obtainable,

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

thanks for the largely positive feedback :)

i'm sorry the article was so long, it's a while since i submitted it, even longer since i wrote it. I'm sure i could have managed with a lot fewer words saying the same thing.

on the 90% uses melee point: if mage/ range is more effective in more situations, that will change. people will probably do more of all 3, or choose more carefully what they want to pursue. Mage is just too expensive right now, otherwise a lot of people would use it more regularly, the armor could also be improved. Range just needs to do more damage to be of use in many situations.

Jagex have already said one of their main priorities is fixing the combat triangle. It works awesomely within dungeoneering, so i have hope they can improve the regular rs as well. However, there are a lot of changes they need to make for that to work.

In response to "Vanity Fair"

RuneScape is a role-playing game. While there are definitely people who play it analytically and only look for the best "functioning" item (nothing against these people; I am often one of them), there are also plenty of people who play RuneScape to really get into the role of their character. Even if they happen to be less efficient as a result of their attire, they have fun wearing it.

The word "vain" carries a significantly negative connotation. To call the people "vain" who like to have their character be more of an individual and a role-player in a role-playing game, seems to me to probably be fairly inaccurate for most of the people it was applied to.

Based on your conclusion, you expected this kind of response from the other side of the argument. Overall, the article was well-written. I just don't happen to agree with the main argument you made (or the title).

Tonguetamer3.png

Runescape: Winter 2002/2003 - May 2011

The topic of the first article has been mentioned time and time again.

It looks good, people wear it. Its really no different from people wanting stronger armor so they can go brag to there friends about hitting slightly higher than everyone else.

As far as im concerned, barrows armor could be considered "useless" as much as the royal armor, sure it gives me higher stats, but if i think it looks ugly, im going to want it. And alot of the time i just want to skill which makes the barrows armor useless as well.

O.O

With regard to Vanity Fair, my understanding is most people buying royal are merchants who want to trade it for rares they can rwt. Question resolved :P

As to aesthetics in general though, I would personally never spend money on it. If I'm killing things I obviously wear whatever is best, and the same is true of any other activity. If it truly doesn't matter I'll usually wear my slayer cape/helm with agility armor because it all matches, all is somewhat impressive, and all is free.

There's nothing wrong with spending money on items to make your avatar look good, you could make a case for anyone that spends money on this game as being "an idiot". Lots of people spend cash on things like 99 Crafting, but who can actually say they regularly use the skill to make things? It's a game, let people play how they want to.

There's nothing wrong with spending money on items to make your avatar look good, you could make a case for anyone that spends money on this game as being "an idiot".

Nowhere did I say that you are an idiot should you spend money.

I believe you read it wrong. I wrote "certainly everyone who wears clothes like that is not a money-spending idiot". So, in layman's terms, I said no one who wears clothes like that is an idiot.

WorldOfAVR_Part1_Avacyn_ajg5pfqs0fs.png

There's nothing wrong with spending money on items to make your avatar look good, you could make a case for anyone that spends money on this game as being "an idiot".

Nowhere did I say that you are an idiot should you spend money.

I believe you read it wrong. I wrote "certainly everyone who wears clothes like that is not a money-spending idiot". So, in layman's terms, I said no one who wears clothes like that is an idiot.

You're right I did read it wrong, apologies. :)

In response to the first article...

Kingly Implings are just high valued because of the uncut onyx (and the crown) that it may give.. rather than the crashing full royal set. I doubt anybody wants the other pieces anymore... Look at the royal sceptre on GE graph. Ppl are just trying to gamble their luck.

Secondly, White flowers are such high valued because of merchants. They are hard to get, and nobody really wants to try planting a million mithril seeds for obtaining the few whites and black flowers, therefore it is targetted by lots of solo/clan manip. Once the price is high they dump it along with their rares or onto unlucky soloers and clan manips.

Personally, I believe the items in the article is not about fashion, but its all about some ppl trying to gamble and some trying to manip/merch.

Ben_Evolent.png

The "Vanity Fair" article was both completely unoriginal and unintentionally hilarious. Especially when a comparison was drawn between "useless items" and "useful items" - in other words, "items that are only used to pointlessly show off" versus "items that are only used to raise levels which then are used to pointlessly show off."

Are people really trying to bring a sense of real value into a game that in essence is nothing more than a giant pixelized [bleep]-measuring contest?

The "Vanity Fair" article was both completely unoriginal and unintentionally hilarious. Especially when a comparison was drawn between "useless items" and "useful items" - in other words, "items that are only used to pointlessly show off" versus "items that are only used to raise levels which then are used to pointlessly show off."

Are people really trying to bring a sense of real value into a game that in essence is nothing more than a giant pixelized [bleep]-measuring contest?

+1

Vanity fair was a rather stupid article. Comparing Party hats, which have a value due to rarity, to crowns, which only have such a high value due to merchants, horders, and to a small supply as of right now, is asinine.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

It's just like how I'm going crazy trying to kill Jad for the fire cape even though I have 5 99 skill capes and a quest cape and the fire cape isn't much better, I'm mostly doing it for the prestige. I'm a pvm skiller and I'm not good at pvp, nor do I like dying and loosing my stuff, which is why I don't bother to get good at it. Jad is the only boss that fights like a skilled pker, and you have to have high levels in both melee and ranged (or magic but thats even more expensive) to kill him, so that sort of ballances out the triangle. Maybe trying to kill Jad 10 times until I get the prestigeous and awesome fire cape will help me get better at pking. And I only got 99 cooking and fletching for the capes. I think I have a thing for capes.

Another point the second article left out is that ranged ammo comes from fletching and food for melee comes from fishing and cooking, so runecrafting isn't the only non-combat skill that affects the combat triangle. Herblore effacts all of it, and crafting and smithing are used for making ranged and melee armor respectively.

"Range just needs to do more damage to be of use in many situations"

The dark bow is probably the most powerful weapon in the game, it just costs 100m.

"alot of the time i just want to skill which makes the barrows armor useless as well"

I think there should be more "armor" that benefits certain skills, like lumberjack does for wc.

whatcolor_isblue.jpg[r]

^ BUT you can retrieve arrows with an Ava's Accumulator and ALL three attack styles use food - mage possibly even moreso than the others because of the weak defence bonuses that mage armour has. Range *does* have a cost but it's far less than magic.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

To the vanity fair article, yeah I can see what you mean. I'd never own a party hat because it just seems useless to me. But I'm not entirely innocent of vanity. My arcane spirit shield is by and large because I like how it looks. Yes it is the best mage shield in the game by far and it does have limited usefulness to me, but I don't really mage THAT often and most of the time when I'm wearing the shield it's for an outfit. I guess you could say I didn't have anything else to do with my money (besides spending a fortune on herb which I'm not to keen on since extremes seem good enough for now).

^ BUT you can retrieve arrows with an Ava's Accumulator and ALL three attack styles use food - mage possibly even moreso than the others because of the weak defence bonuses that mage armour has. Range *does* have a cost but it's far less than magic.

I guess your just not very good at finding safe spots. Maybe mage could be made cheaper by adding something like a rune accumulator to the game? But then rc wouldn't be as good of a money maker, just like fletching is no longer a money maker.

whatcolor_isblue.jpg[r]

Regarding the combat triangle article, I think that people have the wrong idea on what is balanced and what isn't balanced. A good portion of the people think that a PvP situation is what decides whether the triangle is balanced, and others think that it's the sheer power of the skill itself. I disagree with both of these, i think that the balance of the triangle depends on ones ability to be able to cost-effectively and successfully kill a wide range of creatures, and progressively become more powerful as you train. That probably sounds like a big mess so, for example; In melee, you can start out with a low leveled weapon like iron or steel, and be able to kill a wide variety of monsters. As you progress, you will be able to wield higher weapons, and kill stronger monsters, without making a huge investment. In magic, this isn't really possible. probably the most cost effective and successful method would be fire bolt with chaos gauntlets. but even after progressing using this method, you'll be able to raise the power of your magic, and kill higher monsters, but you can't keep the price down, as spells start to cost upward of 700gp each. Therefore in my opinion, that is the aspect of balancing out magic that jagex has been failing to correct.

-- lulz

I guess your just not very good at finding safe spots. Maybe mage could be made cheaper by adding something like a rune accumulator to the game? But then rc wouldn't be as good of a money maker, just like fletching is no longer a money maker.

Staff of light and Battle Robes do this. Personally, I think the main thing missing from the combat trianble now is some non-degradeable battle robes, and perhaps a Tome of Smoke. As for runecrafting, I think it needs some way to level it much faster, at a reduced rate of profit, while somehow keeping the current profitability there.

Dunno. Just my opinion.

To the above poster, yes, price of runes is really what makes mage unbalanced. At the high-end of the combat spectrum, mage is fairly damaged combat-wise, between SoL, Arcane Stream, decent armour like Ahrims, and of course the effects of the ancient magicks.

Frankly, I think another thing mage could use is a more damaging elemental spell. Perhaps actual "elemental" spells akin to the one Kuradel uses? (Albeit NOT able to k0 a Abyssal Demon in one hit.)

Still, Jagex is slowing fixing it imo.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Good articles this time.

The vanity article was really fun to read. For me it seems that those clothes and things are for sure the best around, and that if you attain them, you did so by a feat of hard work and maybe some luck. But I enjoy seeing that player with with the void armor, and knowing they played long and hard for it, or the party hat, knowing that person either had it in the beginning or they fought tooth and nail to get it. I am also happy how this has affected hunters. That side point of how hunters have incentive for impetuous impulses really shows that jagex tries to reinject playability into seemingly dead activities. While I was filing sand in zanaris, I saw tons of people warping in and out of puro-puro. This was really good to see people doing something else. I hate seeing tons of people just doing one thing, the more there are people doing a little bit of everything shows that the game is up to date and well balanced and that a new fun activity can still be beneficial.

The second article is a big topic to tackle, so good job to the author. But like some mentioned before most people meele because its a one time cost in most cases. I personally would have gravitated toward ranged. I actually used up all my arrows on ducks first thing when I began runescape. So why don't more people use it? Well how many of us have started runescape as members? Yeah thats right. So that means no fletching your own bow and arrows, and with runecrafting, we can only runecraft our way until we need chaos runes and the like. So Those skills automatically become quest and boss monster skills or PKer skills. Only the rich can do them for free players. I collected every arrow i ever saw as a free player and once I had enough I trained ranged. But even then I ran out of arrows having almost a thousand. I still only have level 47 ranged because its so far behind my magic and meele, I have no use for it, I have no ammo, no items, no clothes for it really. I only have a cannon for when I want to train slayer. In terms of magic though, most people are mad at a few things. 1. I share this view. Magic is overpowered in minigames. In stealing creation and soul wars the AOE spells of ancient magic are way too much to handle. None of the others has that capacity, plus when you stun a group of 4 people to run away, it seems like that one person cheated. No other skill stuns either. Where ranged and meele have their special powers conatined via weapon, mages always have their spellbook nomatter the runes or clothes. Magic is also used mainly for teleports and skilling, stringing necklaces, alching, making molten glass, making soft clay. Its really a semi-combat skill so the price of it only makes sense. But when a PKer loses 100k of blood runes but keeps the 20k robes, people call it underpowered, when it isn't its just extremely risky. So magic is a really wild skill because it is half a skiller skill and half a combat skill. I only have 63 magic because of swan song for fishing, plus it was a good way to alch my fletching items.

XBL: Zwolf wolf

When Runescape Gives you lemons, Alch them!

screen-capture-2-1-1-1.png?t=1279351491

Sorry Brand, I was a man in the first place, sorry to disappoint you. :\