Tip.It Times - 4th March 2012

tripsis

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

EDITORIAL PANEL DISCUSSION THREAD:

This thread is for discussing and debating the week's articles. If you would like to comment on the overall structure or direction of the Editorial Panel, please use the discussion topic in the Website Discussion forum.

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to @tripsis :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Such boredom may just as well spill into the gaming world-one can imagine players saying "Oh, Player X has been at the top of the hiscores for five years,

What exactly does the second part of this have to do with the first part?

I started playing circa 2002/2003, got banned a few years later. I started playing again last weekend with a new account, and boy have things changed. As someone who leveled up on RSC and is now leveling up on RS2 (or RS, as it's now called but it will always be RS2 to me), I cannot believe how easy things are now. Within the space of 8 days I've reached level 37, have 750k in the bank and 400+ skill total. I think back in the day it would have taken me around a year to reach level 37 and I don't think I reached 750k until after atleast 2 years of playing time. I have a career change coming up which means I will soon have zero playing time, but aside from that, part of me is wondering if it's even worth continuing to play. Certain things were inevitabley going to get easier, such as "merching" with the introduction of the official RS forums and more recently with the Grand Exchange. Another thing that original RS members will certainly agree with, the removal of certificates and introduction of notes is something that was absolutely necessary but again, made things alot easier.

One thing I cannot agree with is this one click fishing/mining/whatever. That was the beauty of the game, having to repeatedly click "mine ore" or, God forbid *right click* "harpoon fish". The new way isn't cheating in the literal sense of the word, but Jagex have given up the keys to the kingdom with the change. It is something you could only dream of back in the day, but that's what it should have stayed as - a dream. It's akin to the ;rosebud cheat on the Sims or being Bruce Almighty - what's the point of carrying on if the challenge is gone? How can you maintain such motivation when it's this easy?

As for the toolkit... hmmmph. Yeah it's is handy, definitely, but what was wrong with having a pickaxe (note - just a pickaxe, not a "bronze" pickaxe, there was no such thing in days gone by) take up one of your inventory slots and having to alternate between mining 13 copper & 14 tin ore, and 14 copper & 13 tin ore e.t.c.

From what I've read there has been some problems with bots and it just seems that Jagex has given in to make things easier to stop people turning to botting. They'd be damned if they didn't do something and damned if they did... but yeah... damn them!

proud owner of bunny ears and scythe (rsc fo lyf)

muska007.png

Such boredom may just as well spill into the gaming world-one can imagine players saying "Oh, Player X has been at the top of the hiscores for five years,

What exactly does the second part of this have to do with the first part?

The point is the prospect of a leader with no real competition is boring.

From what I've read there has been some problems with bots and it just seems that Jagex has given in to make things easier to stop people turning to botting.

I hadn't actually considered Jagex's "convenience" updates as agent to fight the incentive to bot, but that's an interesting point. Thanks for bringing it up.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I never thought of f2p has a demo. I always thought of it as the same as p2p but more restrictions. I don't think people should be pushed into membership. I was actually f2p for the first 3 years of my rs career. I know when I was playing I never saw these advertisements to become a member. The most I remember was, "this area is a members only area" or something like that. To me it makes Jagex look desperate, but maybe from a business view point it makes sense.

I would suggest Jagex add more p2p to f2p interaction. As us the players should be the "advertisement" for p2p.

One solution would be

House parties in f2p. ofcourse remove the member benefits like the gilded alter/certain teleports

Just give us a reason to join a f2p world every now and then and interact with them.

For the 2nd article.

I don't mind things getting easier/faster. Making the environment left click, is just fixing things imo. There's a difference of making an entirely new skilling method and making older skilling methods more user friendly. In today's age, skills and money making should be getting faster. Especially with level 80 armors costing close to 1b. Also, it would be hard for a new player to get on our level, something that took us five years to do. Not many people like to join a game and find out they have to spend 7 years to get a high level. That's probably why Jagex is making things easier at lower/med levels.

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

Regarding XP: Worth Less, Not Worthless -

I can understand where some people are coming from when they complain about things getting too easy. And sometimes it is just annoying when you get 99 in a skill the "hard"/original way and then suddenly it gets loads easier. Like I got 99 herblore before "mix x" and then literally a week later they released it. I was kind of like.... ugh.

But, I do think it's necessary. The massive amount of clicking in this game can lead to insanity so I appreciate the "mix x," "fletch x," "cut x," etc. Like, getting to ~92 prayer actually made me quit the game for a while. The insane amounts of clicking just drove me... insane. Now I guess you could argue that it's too easy with "pray x" but I do think it was a change for the better.

The toolbelt doesn't bother me at all. I like that we now have one (or more) less inventory space to worry about when doing certain skills, and I really like that a lot of actions are now left click. I don't see it as devaluing XP, I see it as a welcome convenience.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Regarding XP: Worth Less, Not Worthless -

I can understand where some people are coming from when they complain about things getting too easy. And sometimes it is just annoying when you get 99 in a skill the "hard"/original way and then suddenly it gets loads easier. Like I got 99 herblore before "mix x" and then literally a week later they released it. I was kind of like.... ugh.

But, I do think it's necessary. The massive amount of clicking in this game can lead to insanity so I appreciate the "mix x," "fletch x," "cut x," etc. Like, getting to ~92 prayer actually made me quit the game for a while. The insane amounts of clicking just drove me... insane. Now I guess you could argue that it's too easy with "pray x" but I do think it was a change for the better.

The toolbelt doesn't bother me at all. I like that we now have one (or more) less inventory space to worry about when doing certain skills, and I really like that a lot of actions are now left click. I don't see it as devaluing XP, I see it as a welcome convenience.

I agree, the game became a lot better when they removed unnecessary clicking. It has made a lot more skills tolerable now than they used to before.

The best example of inconveniences that people had to undergo in the past was the way the pouches worked which made banking while Runecrafting a downright pain. It is a lot easier for players now with the way pouches work now, and I am not at all unhappy even though I had to go through all those painful banking trips while getting 99 Runecrafting. Such inconveniences should never have existed in the first place and I am glad they changed it for the people Runecrafting now.

Yes sure cool and all. But why does it have to be mandatory? Why isn't there an option to turn off any or all the x stuff or configure customized click menus and whatnot? Why does it have to be only one way?

[Maybe, anyway, regarding customized click menus...]

But the x thing really should have the option of turning it off...[and letting you do things at your own speed!]

Content addition vs. content replacement: options are good!

Yes sure cool and all. But why does it have to be mandatory? Why isn't there an option to turn off any or all the x stuff or configure customized click menus and whatnot? Why does it have to be only one way?

But the x thing really should have the option of turning it off...[and letting you do things at your own speed!]

having options for every small thing would really make this game even harder to update, more code to test and go over. And i don't see why anyone would want to toggle it off, if you like grinding, there is plenty of stuff u can still do, go out there and pick flax :P

fresiandthesheep1.jpg

Dyslexia lvl 99, Youtube:3D RS, My 3D on Tif, My Runetrack, My Tif Profile

And i don't see why anyone would want to toggle it off, if you like grinding, there is plenty of stuff u can still do, go out there and pick flax :P

because for many skills making things 1 at a time was faster then make X.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

As an oldschool player I am of course a bit upset that game is getting so easy now. I wonder what would Zezima say looking at 3billion+ exp TOP achieved mostly in the last few years :)

It is of course still insanely hard to get that much exp, but it was a lot harder to get all 99s several years ago.

Although maybe I am not the one to argue about exp, playing since 2003 my highest level is 90 :) I don't get how people manage to even click to 13mill exp in one skill :)

Playing since February 2003

Ssamriga.png

Personally I think in games like these, where you'll be playing a lot compared to your random flash games, the interface should be as convenient as possible. Customization options are key in this because no two players are alike. I think a lot more people would be using high xp+apm methods like superheat-mining if they didn't have to do bursts of 4+ clicks in .6 seconds every few seconds while also moving the mouse. Some of that input should be moved to the keyboard for example, but the make-x pitfall should be avoided (things becoming slower or more annoying or more clicking, e.g. making 1 potion takes more effort than 2 potions used to take pre-make-x).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I do wish that they would auto make 1 potion if that's all you can make. (Don't bother showing us the make-x screen for only 1 item). Also, I'm of the opinion that the display shouldn't even show if there is only one choice. Just go ahead and cut all the gems, really... No reason to make us move the mouse and click again.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I do wish that they would auto make 1 potion if that's all you can make. (Don't bother showing us the make-x screen for only 1 item). Also, I'm of the opinion that the display shouldn't even show if there is only one choice. Just go ahead and cut all the gems, really... No reason to make us move the mouse and click again.

They do this just in case you accidentally mix something together.