Tip.It Times - 18th November 2012

tripsis

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

callingwriters.jpg

WRITE FOR THE TIMES - SUBMIT A GUEST ARTICLE:

Remember, YOU can write an article for the Tip.It Times! You can apply to write full time, or just submit a "one-off" guest article any time you want! Our editors will work with you to ensure that your article is ready for publication. All guest articles can be submitted to @tripsis or any other Editorial Panel member. For more information, including details on how to apply full time, read this forum thread: http://forum.tip.it/topic/209138-how-to-write-for-the-tipit-times/

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in an article then please PM them to @tripsis. :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I just want to start off by saying Stormrages article hit the nail on the head with how 99% of the Runescape community takes nearly every decently sized update and or overhaul of systems.

A vast majority of Runescape's community seems to get stuck between the stage of Denial and Acceptance. While Runescape was first developed for the world as a game, not a business -- everyone needs to understand that successful things in life eventually turn to money-aspiring businesses. You cannot expect a game that has been around since the 90's to stand tall on its feet without some sort of funding.

With the release of Squeal, yes, there were some drastic changes and some of them were quite hard to accept at first, however; people need to understand that Runescape is becoming more fast-paced and less of an over-all "grind". It is commercializing. This is something that everything that is successful in life eventually goes through. This game is also a business. It needs to cater to both ends of the spectrum. People can either see this in the light of that it will actually have greater content quality, or, they can simply stay in the stage of denial and anger and bash the game and its developers.

On to EoC... Change is something that is hard to adapt to for most people. Especially since combat has stayed "static" and "linear" for decades now. It is going to be a tough pill to swallow for the community that is against this update. People also need to understand, change is not always bad. With every change you have pros and cons. The Runescape community (I'll use a figure of speech) has simply grabbed the horns of the cons and have ridden them since. Maybe it's time to step back and analyze some of the positives these updates can provide. EoC will provide the more casual player a more enjoyable environment. (*ding* I guarantee you we will see an influx of NEW players to Runescape during this time. Something I think Runescape needs dearly. We need fresh players.) Combat skilling will now see a whole new era of interaction... Skills, rotations and attack styles will now actually play a decent role in strategy on both lower scale warfare/combat and higher scale warfare/combat. While yes, there are some incredibly saddening changes (Example: The single/multi problem within the wilderness for Clans) -- but who knows, updates are not set in stone. Improvements, changes, and modifications are bound to take place within the months after these updates. Patience is a virtue, something I think people need to understand. With patience, I do believe a lot of the negative nancies will realize things will be straightened out. Give the game a chance with this update, don't give up on something that has provided you so much quality content for something that is actually evolving the game. Hence the name of the update, The EVOLUTION of Combat.

In conclusion to my paragraph regarding EoC -- I'm going to call out all the "ZOMG IM QUITTING -- STUPID UPDATE IS RUINING THIS GAME" players that they will end up returning to the game within the months to come. Changes that are still not liked after this update will be nerfed/balanced to cater to the community that pays these developers to make these changes.

Game production is a cycle. It eventually comes back to to us the game players to decide how the game will remain. A prime example, the removal of Free-Trade.

Stop being so closed minded and accept change! Who knows... Maybe you'll do a complete flip-flop of how you feel

Note: I wrote this quite fast, sorry if my train of thought took off in some areas. Also, some grammar and sentence structure is questionable. I'm quite busy at the moment but felt this article deserved a response.

Great content Ts Stormrage! I always enjoy reading your articles.

wguserbar.png

WG-Recruitment-Underbanenr.gif

11928513.png

Too often, people dismiss an update before they even attempt to fully work out its intricacies and implications. Such is the current situation, for the Evolution of Combat has not even been released! With limited insights from Beta testing (which, I might add, is constantly subject to change and is far from the finished product which will ultimately be released), doomsayers do enjoy spreading their message of how the Evolution of Combat is not really an evolution but a degradation, an unwanted step towards other games, a destruction of the RuneScape we all know.

Surely, negativity and skepticism have their places as the very instigators of philosophy and reasoning. Nevertheless, what worries me not is the refusal of these people to accept the incoming change. What worries me most is that their message will reach the ears and eyes of other players through their tirades and influence them to view the update with the same sort of negativity. The key difference is that the latter type of negativity is an induced negativity, thus subjugating those other players to the opinions of others. In other words, I fear that other players, manipulated by the caustic words of anti-progressive "old school" players, might eagerly believe the Evolution of Combat hate without first forming their own opinion!

What I am trying to say is that negativity in this case is not merely to persuade Jagex or to express discontent with an update. This very negativity can poison the community and create an atmosphere of pervasive resistance to any sort of change. Ironically, this negativity had its origins in skepticism which dictates that an update should not be mindlessly accepted, but this negativity indirectly advocates that updates be mindlessly rejected. Which is worse: mindless acceptance or mindless rejection? Take your pick, I denounce both as narrow minded options.

I disagree with the theme of this article because it portrays the community's reaction towards the Evolution of Combat as mourning, as an unwanted event. Why is this article about the five stages of grief rather than the five stages of happiness or excitement? While it is true that a part of the community (the vocal part, no less) will faithfully undergo the stages expertly described in Ts_Stormrage's article, there are yet others who view the update with anticipation and joy - these people are the ones who say "OMG Dual Wielding is awesome" and are willing to embrace the new change. Why are these people absent from Ts_Stormrage's article?

Conclusion/TLDR: The community's reaction will not be as black and white as portrayed in the article. I think this article only propagates the sentiment that "change is bad" by assuring its audience that the community will view the change with grief.

• Like 1

I've moved on from Runescape, and I would agree this is what happens with most updates. I think a lot of is nostalgia for me: I'd play an earlier biuld of Runescape, but not the current one. But it probably isn't entirely rational: a lot is based on the fact I had so much fun with the original and I've sort of constructed in my head what I thought runescape should be like.

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

First-- Ts_Stormrage: yellow journalism.

I disagree with the theme of this article because it portrays the community's reaction towards the Evolution of Combat as mourning, as an unwanted event. Why is this article about the five stages of grief rather than the five stages of happiness or excitement?

It should be noted that Kübler-Ross has her critics. Basically, they charge that not everyone experiences grief by way of these five stages. By the same token, I agree with you that not all players will respond (or already are responding) to the EoC this way, nor will they be limited by outright rejection or outright acceptance. That hasn't been my experience, anyways.

I would say that the vocal part of the Runescape community seems to have a very short memory. Does anyone remember the vocal few that preferred RS1 (now called RSC)? They did have a presence, once. There were quite a few assertions about how its system of PKing showed superior displays of skill, with catching and such. There were sentiments that the early graphics were appealing precisely because they were cartoonish. Then there was the statement that RS1 had a better community, with less immaturity-- and that just wasn't my experience at all, really. So this whole "bring back Runescape 2006"... it's happened before. Really. They must be so loud at the moment (especially on YouTube) that few are remembering.

I was a part of the RS2 beta but I missed this one (for EoC), because I switched to Linux a few years back. In short, Linux users can't access beta worlds from web browsers, so a separate client is needed. I can't get it to work for some reason and as I'm a reasonably busy disabled father of two, I just didn't have the time to mess with it. Sure, I had some initial objections but I figured I'd just wait until things went live (and enjoy the existing game in the meantime).

Just as I no longer wish to go back to RS1 and revisit some repetitive stress injuries (like repeatedly clicking on Mining rocks or Fishing spots), I do figure that the EoC will bring some fresh approaches to combat. And geez... I can't count the number of suggestions I've made or commented on-- some of them here-- that have been implemented! Remember the "if every noob had his way, everyone would be running around with grenades and flamethrowers..." and then we got salamanders and chinchompas? C'mon, kids, start paying attention! You've actually gotten a LOT of things you wanted.

The Real ET: I'm still amazed that so many MMO'ers keep forgetting over and over and over that Runescape appeals to a very wide range of gaming styles. For starters, there's all the players that thoroughly enjoy organizing their banks and inventories (while they play!) I can still remember the *real* Kathy Corkat (a.k.a. Mrs_Chrystler, LickyKat?) spending hours with Mod Ash on Construction, or hours with battlefield scenarios at a citadel, telling me it was her new toy from Mod Ash. Then there's the players I've met that love all the puzzles (one I met got really excited that I said sudoku was in the game by way of Rogue Trader and rune puzzle boxes at Ali Morrisane's). Then there are the questers (which I consider myself a part of)... it goes on. I still thought Mod Ash's biting satire of some Runescape players in Carnillian Rising was hilarious. Pegged quite a few I know, I think.

But mostly I'm 38 years old and I really couldn't care less about what people think of Runescape... I'm playing it and if the teenagers and twentysomethings want to give me lip about it... phht, forget them. They aren't worth my time. Already friends and acquaintances tried very valiantly to convert me to World of Warcraft. Don't have the money (yes, really) and I'm just not interested. If I had the money, it'd be more arcade controllers or full-on arcade cabinet restoration. Wife used to play, plays other stuff that honestly is easier to make fun of in some ways, but hey, she enjoys it and likewise she's really not too concerned about what others have to say about it.

First-- Ts_Stormrage: yellow journalism.

I disagree with the theme of this article because it portrays the community's reaction towards the Evolution of Combat as mourning, as an unwanted event. Why is this article about the five stages of grief rather than the five stages of happiness or excitement?

It should be noted that Kübler-Ross has her critics. Basically, they charge that not everyone experiences grief by way of these five stages. By the same token, I agree with you that not all players will respond (or already are responding) to the EoC this way, nor will they be limited by outright rejection or outright acceptance. That hasn't been my experience, anyways.

Remember the "if every noob had his way, everyone would be running around with grenades and flamethrowers..." and then we got salamanders and chinchompas? C'mon, kids, start paying attention! You've actually gotten a LOT of things you wanted.

+1 to both thejollyroger and btraill

Everything I ever wanted to say but I couldn't put in words was said by them and Ts_Stromrage. And I think that's what a lot of people forget. Jagex is ultimately a business, a profit maximizing business that wishes to stay existing. You can call it greed all you want but the fact of the matter is profit maximizing businesses in the type of market Jagex is in don't just do whatever they please because they feel like getting richer, or try to clean you of your income; only monopolies do, and last I check Jagex competes in a perfectly competitive market (suck can be debated as while they are certainly not in a market of monopolistic competition people say the only true perfectly competitive market are pencils).

Jagex has seriously has done their homework in terms of running their business, and while we can all debate if EoC is truly ready to launch, the fact still remains that for the health of this game, and for Jagex to continue to remain in the market, EoC was needed. The most vocal player who dislike EoC fail to see this and what more, they assume they are the majority. It certainly looks that way on RSOF, but we all know that's a bacteria infested pool of people who live only to complain about everything Jagex does. Just because they scream the most, they are not the majority and all these "vets" that cry other vet don't want this need to get off their high house and stop pretending they are some mighty messenger who can walk on water like Jesus. Plenty of vets have came out and said "You sir, do not speak for me."

Nostalgia does get confused here, and while remembering the memories of game that wasn't so complex is great, it should not turn into closed minded behavior coupled with seething hate of every update from EoC to remaking outdated quest. The fact of the matter is, if you don't like the way Runescape is headed, then leave. Taste and priorities do change and no one is expecting you to play until you're 60 (KRS-One might disagree as he is 47 and still rapping, and doesn't look like he'll stop until he kick the bucket). Often in my clan from a whiny vet, I hear "Jagex is f--king over the vets". Sorry to tell you this but did you ever consider that EoC isn't for you, and instead of [bleep]ing, you should just go? In all honesty, Jagex wants to attract new player and give existing players and they can do while giving older players a new experience they could very well enjoy, to keep the game relevant. If EoC truly wasn't need and dislike, we'd see something different. After all, they did bring free trade and the wilderness back.

The Real ET and Ts_Stromrage's articles go hand in hand here. Some people are just hardwired in think what a game should be like and while Runescape certainly isn't a difficult game, those who disapprove of EoC feel like it's becoming something inherently different than what it should be. Yes, learning a new combat system is going to be a pain for a while, but that doesn't make it harder. You are just more engaged. A better way to put this would be Runescape was designed to be accessible, and fun for anyone who plays it, not exclusive and specific, nor is it suppose to be the same for all time. Runescape needs to constantly improve. Wanting to keep a game exclusive for you is just foolish wishful thinking.

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

Yellow journalism?

Just because I focussed on the conservative bunch of RS that likes to keep things the way they are now? harsh much...

Other than that, good points everyone :)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Yellow journalism?

Just because I focussed on the conservative bunch of RS that likes to keep things the way they are now? harsh much...

I'm not going to pull any punches.

It's not just you-- this site (the forums, to be more specific) has been pulling negative for a while. Or rather, it's been a strong tone for far too long. I don't think it started out that way; maybe you don't know who binyam is, but I believe him when he told me the Times was his idea although he didn't get much credit for it. He struck me as a fairly easy-going guy, not a malcontent.

I admit I'm being a bit cowardly as this isn't my main persona. But I'm going to say it, flat out, that the Times as a whole needs to move on somewhat. I think Jagex already has. Remember "Biased banning raises eyebrows"? WOW. I was on Staff when that hit, and I remember quite well that Andrew Gower took that pretty personally, and yes, he did threaten a lawsuit (which he recanted on). I don't think he was wholly unjustified; remember the encrypted thumb drives he later promoted? It's a legitimate corporate technology, but players practically crucified him right there on the RSOF, because his incentive dared to suggest microtransaction/RTW-- buy the thumb drive, get some bank space. So then later he sells his shares, makes a R & D company, and people here are wrung their hands "Andrew, you're abandoning us" and the Times can't get off the "Yelps and SoF is dishonorable microtransactions, Jagex lies, Jagex breaks our trust" spiral...

...six year history right there, but...geez, what does the whiny bunch in Runescape want?

Seriously, kids, I swear, you'll get jobs, you'll get more life experience, and this stuff will all seem like creampuffs and powdered sugar. Your employer, your acquaintances, maybe your family will pull worse crap than this, but the world goes on. Pardon my tired, trite, cliché expression, but it is just a game, and having serious fun is okay, but if complaining and moaning-- even under the pretense of reporting the complaining and moaning of others, gets tiresome. My life is already pretty stressful without worrying over a game I'm playing to unwind and relax by.

Love/hate relationship going here. I came to the forums in 2004 but was using the site guides when I started in 2003. Had to pull back after a while, speaking of the lawsuit thing and all the dirty politics that brought out... wow, I can still remember how w13 and Zybez/RuneScape Community jumped on that mess ("Jagex is talking about Tip.It in their news release, we're not like that", something to that effect), thought it was a rabbit punch then, I still think it's a low blow now. Jagex obviously is turning a blind eye now, they're big enough that it's so much chicken feed, but would you prefer another indirect backhand? Zybez/RSC was right, it was Tip.It leaking passwords (I trust my sources), the users did need to cowboy up and get serious about password security, but... c'mon, if you read this far, I think you should feel sick.

Muckraking may get you some short-term attention, but in the long-term, it's already bitten you (Tip.It collectively, I mean), I was there, I tell you, it's a bad plan.

• Like 1

Yellow journalism?

It's not just you-- this site (the forums, to be more specific) has been pulling negative for a while. Or rather, it's been a strong tone for far too long. I don't think it started out that way; maybe you don't know who binyam is, but I believe him when he told me the Times was his idea although he didn't get much credit for it. He struck me as a fairly easy-going guy, not a malcontent.

I admit I'm being a bit cowardly as this isn't my main persona. But I'm going to say it, flat out, that the Times as a whole needs to move on somewhat. I think Jagex already has. Remember "Biased banning raises eyebrows"? WOW. I was on Staff when that hit, and I remember quite well that Andrew Gower took that pretty personally, and yes, he did threaten a lawsuit (which he recanted on). I don't think he was wholly unjustified; remember the encrypted thumb drives he later promoted? It's a legitimate corporate technology, but players practically crucified him right there on the RSOF, because his incentive dared to suggest microtransaction/RTW-- buy the thumb drive, get some bank space. So then later he sells his shares, makes a R & D company, and people here are wrung their hands "Andrew, you're abandoning us" and the Times can't get off the "Yelps and SoF is dishonorable microtransactions, Jagex lies, Jagex breaks our trust" spiral...

...six year history right there, but...geez, what does the whiny bunch in Runescape want?

Seriously, kids, I swear, you'll get jobs, you'll get more life experience, and this stuff will all seem like creampuffs and powdered sugar. Your employer, your acquaintances, maybe your family will pull worse crap than this, but the world goes on. Pardon my tired, trite, cliché expression, but it is just a game, and having serious fun is okay, but if complaining and moaning-- even under the pretense of reporting the complaining and moaning of others, gets tiresome. My life is already pretty stressful without worrying over a game I'm playing to unwind and relax by.

Love/hate relationship going here. I came to the forums in 2004 but was using the site guides when I started in 2003. Had to pull back after a while, speaking of the lawsuit thing and all the dirty politics that brought out... wow, I can still remember how w13 and Zybez/RuneScape Community jumped on that mess ("Jagex is talking about Tip.It in their news release, we're not like that", something to that effect), thought it was a rabbit punch then, I still think it's a low blow now. Jagex obviously is turning a blind eye now, they're big enough that it's so much chicken feed, but would you prefer another indirect backhand? Zybez/RSC was right, it was Tip.It leaking passwords (I trust my sources), the users did need to cowboy up and get serious about password security, but... c'mon, if you read this far, I think you should feel sick.

Muckraking may get you some short-term attention, but in the long-term, it's already bitten you (Tip.It collectively, I mean), I was there, I tell you, it's a bad plan.

I'll admit, it was pretty difficult deciphering what you just said from all the way up there on your high horse.

I've been lurking in these forums almost since RS2 was released and joined a few years ago so that may hinder my response and understanding of your apparent hatred of Tip.it.

I personally disagree with Storm's article but in terms of the Times overall I don't see where you're coming from. Yes, Runescape is a game intended for fun, but like anything in the world, if people feel strongly enough about something they will voice their likes/dislikes about said product.

Like all people that think they are taking the high ground, you assume that everyone other than yourself is a child with no life experience; wrong.

Your whole statement about a trusted friend coming up with the idea of the Times baffles me. What exactly did he do, come up with the idea of writing? That must be what you mean, because complaining through a thin veil of contempt about the bad quality of the times is entirely subjective.

Sylpheed.png

Yellow journalism?

I'll admit, it was pretty difficult deciphering what you just said from all the way up there on your high horse.

I've been lurking in these forums almost since RS2 was released and joined a few years ago so that may hinder my response and understanding of your apparent hatred of Tip.it.

I personally disagree with Storm's article but in terms of the Times overall I don't see where you're coming from. Yes, Runescape is a game intended for fun, but like anything in the world, if people feel strongly enough about something they will voice their likes/dislikes about said product.

Like all people that think they are taking the high ground, you assume that everyone other than yourself is a child with no life experience; wrong.

Your whole statement about a trusted friend coming up with the idea of the Times baffles me. What exactly did he do, come up with the idea of writing? That must be what you mean, because complaining through a thin veil of contempt about the bad quality of the times is entirely subjective.

To add on to that, if you dislike the way the Times is going, there is a specific discussion thread about that here: http://forum.tip.it/topic/306074-editorial-panel-discussion/

I have seen no substantial arguments about what's wrong with Storm's article. Especially considering his article isn't even negative in the way you complain about it - there have been other articles far worse than that (though worse ofc doesn't necessarily mean worse in quality).

I'm not sure where you came up with this charge of Tip.It leaking passwords but I think it's rather preposterous. Presumably you are saying that Tip.It leaked those passwords and the respective accounts contained information such as RuneScape username and had an identical RuneScape password.

It seems fairly certain to me that people who would use identical passwords on both sites, especially prior to something like JAG, does not seem like top-notch security. It seems extremely unlikely that such a user would have flawless security yet have the oversight of using identical passwords. Maybe they happened to get phished, or maybe their computer was compromised by a keylogger at some point. With some computations from conditional probability it is not too difficult to see.

Regarding the article, I am not exactly sure what you are getting at regarding the negativity of the Times. You seem almost livid about how players are so negative regarding the EoC update, yet you do not want someone essentially describing it for what it is? Are you complaining that the description of something you loathe (the players' complaining) is too negative?

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Please do not come onto the Tip.It Times topic to make random comments about Tip.It as a whole and then follow it up with baseless accusations (which are kind of rude, to be honest). If you want to make a complaint, you can go elsewhere to do that. But please do not discuss non-article-related things on this topic. (That includes the Times as a whole. As another user pointed out, there is a dedicated topic for that.)

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I have to say that I am not one of the ones who go through the grief cycle. I just play the game in what ever form it takes. Admittedly, EoC does​ take a little getting used to, but it isn't to dissimilar to the style of other online game I have played so it ain't all that bad. I have never had cause to complain about any of the updates, so I guess that puts me in the 1 percent band. Good article though.

7c0b9ea3fc.png