Tip.It Times - 6th January 2013

tripsis

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

callingwriters.jpg

WRITE FOR THE TIMES - SUBMIT A GUEST ARTICLE:

Remember, YOU can write an article for the Tip.It Times! You can apply to write full time, or just submit a "one-off" guest article any time you want! Our editors will work with you to ensure that your article is ready for publication. All guest articles can be submitted to @tripsis or any other Editorial Panel member. For more information, including details on how to apply full time, read this forum thread: http://forum.tip.it/topic/209138-how-to-write-for-the-tipit-times/

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in an article then please PM them to @tripsis. :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Wow, did they really up that set to rune stats? Took em forever, it did...

looks like we got ourselves some new welfare gear lol

as for getting rs on other devices, i'm not holding my breath until they clear their other perpetually unfinished projects

and i suppose we're never going to see arposandra or the tzhaar city either

8f14270694.jpg

Wow, did they really up that set to rune stats? Took em forever, it did...

Only the platebody and the legs do (The platebody has 100 life bonus over Rune platebody.)

Boots and shield are still the stats of Adamant.

re: "Why Runescape Has A Future..."

High time, indeed. Please continue this more positive tone, but not just for devil's advocate purposes.

There are players that have put Runescape on mobile devices already. But I do remember MMG saying that the switch to HTML5 (ditching the Java applet, I assume-- the applet, NOT the code) is how Jagex will be making RS available to mobile devices. They'd been working on such with FunOrb already, bit of a shame that FunOrb game apps didn't make more of a showing (not everyone is super enamored with Angry Birds and silly Facebook games).

re: How Much Is Too Much?

Interesting how the pendulum swings the other way, now. I can still remember how Gugge suggested that existing content, namely cities, get some reworks. Maybe we got this in spades? Players haven't done "one-stop skilling" in cities for a long time, and perhaps the Lodestone Network further aggravated this. However:

but there are no longer really any parts of the game world left that are simply there for skill training or gatherings

I still love the Burgh De Rott fishing pier for shark fishing... granted, mostly for Daily Challenges. It's separate enough from Temple Trekking that I'm not terribly distracted. I still like the Coal Trucks for gathering some of my own coal (especially with Achievement Task bennies). But I was always a player that sought out obscure niches, and I still do a lot of self-sufficient/subsistence playing.

Obviously there are still places like Yanille that have been largely neglected and feel like they exist for the sake of filling up space.

I've been in at least two clans/communities that used Yanille for non-combat training events (mostly bankstandable ones). I still love my POH, and I know a fair few number of players that have theirs there as well and still hold house parties. That said, I agree Yanille needs a little bit more love, but I hardly consider it just a space-filler.

I do agree with the sentiment about portals. I am still hoping, however, that Jagex will allow us to repair the the broken mini-ectofunctus in ghost ship in Port Phasmatys, and that it will be an alternate gateway to some new Eastern Lands content. They may never give me a further use to my hoarded ectotokens, but they can't tease me with Ak Haranu simply selling bolt racks forever!

Certainly the ability to play Runescape (if only parts of it) via native apps or simply html5 in browser will shoot Runescape up big time. I think people underestimate how much of a big deal this would be.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Certainly the ability to play Runescape (if only parts of it) via native apps or simply html5 in browser will shoot Runescape up big time. I think people underestimate how much of a big deal this would be.

RuneScape doesn't translate well as a mobile phone game (I mean as a concept, not coding), if that's what you're driving at. I can only think that's what you are driving at, apart from home consoles.

There's a reason Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja are so popular, and it's because they're explicitly designed not to be played for extended periods of time, or require any significant understanding to play. Classic mode on Fruit Ninja has a two-minute timer, one game of Angry Birds takes about sixty seconds (if that). Mobile phone games are invariably designed as a succession of quick, simple plays per session, which typically tends to be short.

All of this is in complete contrast to how RuneScape operates, where it takes several hours, let alone seconds, to gain a single level. In its current form--and there's no reason for that to change--RuneScape is completely incompatible as a mobile phone game.

I like the idea of parts of RS being mobile though. Like checking Ports, or the GE.

You have to think beyond the playing traditional RS and into what can an app enable. For example, an app which connects you to the friends and clan chat so you can chat while not on the game proper. Or apps to check many time sensitive things like an app that shows gamebar data and more.

There is plenty an app could be able to do.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

You have to think beyond the playing traditional RS and into what can an app enable. For example, an app which connects you to the friends and clan chat so you can chat while not on the game proper. Or apps to check many time sensitive things like an app that shows gamebar data and more.

I'm actually kind of disappointed that they stopped doing this sort of thing after that game bar.

I like the idea of parts of RS being mobile though. Like checking Ports, or the GE.

Which is about as much as WoW could achieve with its Armoury app. Not actually playing, but checking logs and planning future trips. That said, such an app wouldn't boost RuneScape's popularity, because it would be specifically aimed at people who were already playing the game.

Which is about as much as WoW could achieve with its Armoury app. Not actually playing, but checking logs and planning future trips. That said, such an app wouldn't boost RuneScape's popularity, because it would be specifically aimed at people who were already playing the game.

Well part of advertising/marketing is attracting new clients. Another part is keeping current clients interested, which wouldn't be a bad idea since it seems that many users are becoming disenchanted with the game.

• Like 1

77yLQy8.png

How about Tablets?

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

One thing I've noticed a lot of other than portals is that Jagex is making content above or below the ground level. One early example was the living rock caverns. Obviously it makes sense for that to be below ground, but still. They might have a modest building jammed into some small space on the map, but suddenly you go underground and there is a whole network. Consider the brass key into hill giants, or the yanille dungeon. Then there is the dominion tower and dungeoneering (again dungeoneering of course makes sense to be all below ground). That's just what comes to mind, there is tons of stuff that saves space by having upper and lower floors.

That's a good point and I hadn't really considered that. Considering how old your examples are in relation to the game it is bizarre. I've always thought that the tiny brass key leading to the Hill Giants was rather odd but it is just a shortcut.

The reworked Burthorpe/Taverly whilst a good idea for new players feels really cluttered and poorly planned to me and is consequently probably one of my least favourite areas of the game now.

Sylpheed.png

The reworked Burthorpe/Taverly whilst a good idea for new players feels really cluttered and poorly planned to me and is consequently probably one of my least favourite areas of the game now.

Glad I'm not the only one! I hate finding stuff there now. It's no longer "burthorpe" and "taverly" it's more of a "tavorperly" and none of it is cleanly laid out. Now it is in a "war zone", but.. we practically solved all the troll issues...

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Yeah. I used to sit around Taverly or Burthorpe and enjoy the empty, NPC-less area around it. Now it feels like a combination of Times Square on New Year's Eve and some kind of pathetic noob warzone. Seriously, level 3 monsters running around? When I was level 66, I used to go and beat up level 33 druids and take their stuff! Now I'm stuck beating up wimp baby trolls and taking their pathetic sandwiches.

Supporter of Treasure Trails and can't stand non-matching armor.

I'm actually kind of disappointed that they stopped doing this sort of thing after that game bar.

I'm kind of disappointed that they stopped supporting the game bar for stuff that was added afterwards, especially ports, which could do with a status indicator.

I think the clock's also broken.

8f14270694.jpg

I did see a RS commercial during a recent showing of Top Gear on the Dave Channel a few days ago.

The TV ads are actually getting quite frequent.

There were some on ITV over Christmas, too. Only occasionally, but I remember them being there.

I did see a RS commercial during a recent showing of Top Gear on the Dave Channel a few days ago.

The TV ads are actually getting quite frequent.

There were some on ITV over Christmas, too. Only occasionally, but I remember them being there.

There was the RS ad when I went to see the hobbit too, its good to see them expanding their advertising. I'd prefer a different advert, but its good enough

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

Still no "a-list" (lol) i mean b-list stars in it ;)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!