Official : RS, 2nd Biggest MMPORG In World

Harrington

Off the BBC web site.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6470433.stm

Apparently all online gaming is worth $1billion.

Of all subscriber based revenues, Runescape is rated second in the world (after WoW)!!!

Quite an achievement for a Java browser based game, I'm sure you'll agree.

What's your reactions to this?

What makes Runescape so appealing?

What puts people off?

Do you believe that RS can make it to number 1?

World Rankings

• 1. World of Warcraft

2. RuneScape

3. Final Fantasy Online

4. Everquest

5. City of Heroes/Villains

Best Points

Dead_dude_4 : Low graphics + easy access + fun game = profits

Kiddioo : Runescape won't make it to #1 because it's not "pretty" like WoW.

Revenga - The only thing I prefer in WoW over Runescape is the chat systems, the auction houses, the community, and the camera angles.

Macmaster92 - One of the first things about Runescape is that you can play it on virtually ANY Ccomputer

Aquashock - WoW costs more to play. Were RS to cost the same, RS would be number 1

sycosis5 - RS has no initial setup cost.

Dragon_lord - You don't have to install the game, you just load for like 2 minutes!

Jemathonical - RS has to keep it's advertising going

texasmd91 - WoW has way more quests than RS

DRAYN_HAVOC - RS needs a better chat system and better if it wants the number one spot

Harrington.gif

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rs could very well reach the top spot merely because it's a easy to access game and it dosen't need the player to be a member for the player to actually play the game unlike wow.

Low graphics + easy access + fun game = profits

Dead+Dude4.png

yeah most people prefer runescape to wow because of the game play and skills.

p.s did anyone know that Jagex was voted 51th best employer in the UK by the times on sunday? Il try and find link later

Runescape won't make it to #1 because it's not "pretty" like WoW.

who cares about the graphics gameplay owns :XD:

Though I and many other people here agree with you, a lot of people make a big deal about graphics. I know a few people at my school who have denounced or praised games simply for their graphics.

blackmageid8.png

I think the fact that related sites such as TipIt are worth $800,000 is also testament to it's incredible popularity and potential

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=629746

That number is misleading as RuneScape "is worth $250,000".

I'm not surprised as RuneScape is growing very rapidly every day. The gameplay, and ease of use attract thousands to the game daily. World of Warcraft I doubt will be beaten though. You can't match the gameplay, graphics, and overall experience in that that game, even if you don't cost as much.

3textsz2.png

< | Runehead | Learning Java Programming, Please PM Me Tips | Signature by Loaf2000 | >

On the topic of graphics - I actually far prefer RuneScape's graphics to that of WoW's. RuneScape's graphics have a crisp and colourful feel to them, I think WoW's focuses way too much on realism. (That really only applies to the updated graphics that have been added lately, however I'm sure everything will be brought up to standard.)

I doubt RuneScape will ever 'overthrow' WoW of it's throne, but 2nd is certainly an achievement for such a simple game. Well done to Jagex.

ki7Gvlk.png

To hell with humanity;

The more I see, the less I believe.

If rs is 5$ USD a month, and Wow is 15$ USD a month, that already makes it an unfair comparison, it takes 3 players (who pay) to match 1 player on wow who pays. Not to mention f2p, which has hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of players.

In terms of revenue, it will take some time to beat wow if it can be done. But in terms of popularity, RS already beats WoW tbh :shame:

:EDIT:

To back that up, this was under the list of the top 5

"*determined by subscription revenue"

Not by number of players.

aquasig2lc8.png

^^Click For Monster Hunting Blog (180M+ in drops)^^

Runescape is fun but it proably wont make number one for 1 reason and yes, we've all talked about this before

THE COMMUNITY

Runescape, the game filled with 10 year old ignorant children. Dont get me wrong, im not bashing all 10 year olds, because i started this game at around 8 but i knew how to act, my parents raised me right. The thing is that most of the players respect nobody but theirselves. They think they can do whatever they want on the internet because they remain annonymus. They also think that being a cyber bully (yes this is an actual problem in schools) is fun stuff, especially to someone you dont know. I remeber reading something about how somebody playing runescape is a living, breathing, feeling human like you.

Basically, anyone thats new proably plays this game about 3 mins before being called a noob. I still play because (luckily) ive used the power of the chat options, and the ignore list.

Trapt45.png

Runescape is fun but it proably wont make number one for 1 reason and yes, we've all talked about this before

THE COMMUNITY

Runescape, the game filled with 10 year old ignorant children. Dont get me wrong, im not bashing all 10 year olds, because i started this game at around 8 but i knew how to act, my parents raised me right. The thing is that most of the players respect nobody but theirselves. They think they can do whatever they want on the internet because they remain annonymus. They also think that being a cyber bully (yes this is an actual problem in schools) is fun stuff, especially to someone you dont know. I remeber reading something about how somebody playing runescape is a living, breathing, feeling human like you.

Basically, anyone thats new proably plays this game about 3 mins before being called a noob. I still play because (luckily) ive used the power of the chat options, and the ignore list.

I think you're on the right track. Most younger kids can't afford $15 a month. It's just too much. With Runescape offering a f2p world, younger kids can play; all they need is a keyboard. Later on, it's easier to convince their parents for $5 a month. This adds on to the fact of Jagex starting to slowly target the younger players, instead of what used to be 13+. Both of these are some contributing factors, in my opinion at least.

cliffside1ra5.png

THE COMMUNITY

From what my friends say, WoW isnt THAT much better. Most MMO's community is full of "noobs" and so on.

Anyway, like i stated before, the reason that WoW is number one is due to REVENUE. They claim to have 8 million players. Yet RS has MUCH more, although through f2p and the fact that they compare us on a 3:1 player ratio.

aquasig2lc8.png

because i started this game at around 8

you have to be 13+ to play runescape...

Thats a fairly recent rule, I started at 11 years old =-\

it wasnt ALWAYS that way

aquasig2lc8.png

THE COMMUNITY

From what my friends say, WoW isnt THAT much better. Most MMO's community is full of "noobs" and so on.

Anyway, like i stated before, the reason that WoW is number one is due to REVENUE. They claim to have 8 million players. Yet RS has MUCH more, although through f2p and the fact that they compare us on a 3:1 player ratio.

When I read that article, it said they expect there to be 10 million MMOG subscirbers by 2011 worldwide. I don't think that's right. I'm pretty sure I've read that Runescape has more players than WoW, multiple times. Now, when they say subscribers, maybe that doesn't count f2pers, but still, I doubt that's right. If there are 8 million of players playing WoW, I'd think there'd be at least 2 million total from all the other online games, such as Final Fantasy, EverQuest, Runescape, City of Heroes/Villians.

it wasnt ALWAYS that way

Yes, I started playing Runescape when I was 10/11 also. It wasn't always that way.

(Sorry for all the quotes, guys)

cliffside1ra5.png

THE COMMUNITY

When I read that article, it said they expect there to be 10 million MMOG subscirbers by 2011 worldwide. I don't think that's right. I'm pretty sure I've read that Runescape has more players than WoW, multiple times. Now, when they say subscribers, maybe that doesn't count f2pers, but still, I doubt that's right. If there are 8 million of players playing WoW, I'd think there'd be at least 2 million total from all the other online games, such as Final Fantasy, EverQuest, Runescape, City of Heroes/Villians.

Well, WoW Holds on to about 50% it said in the article of the market.

Ill re read it, i basically scimmed the article my first time through, im sure its just a phrase taken out of context.

aquasig2lc8.png

Well, WoW Holds on to about 50% it said in the article of the market.

Ill re read it, i basically scimmed the article my first time through, im sure its just a phrase taken out of context.

Wel, you're right, but even so, that would still mean more than 10 million players?

cliffside1ra5.png

"More than 10 million people will subscribe to MMOGs by 2011, and many millions more will play online games driven by other payment schemes, such as advertising and virtual purchases, the report predicted." - Direct quote from article

Im guessing its worded funny, allow me to fix it how i see it worded.

"More than 10 million more people will subscribe to MMOGs by 2011, and many millions more will play online games driven by other payment schemes, such as advertising and virtual purchases, the report predicted."

aquasig2lc8.png

"More than 10 million people will subscribe to MMOGs by 2011, and many millions more will play online games driven by other payment schemes, such as advertising and virtual purchases, the report predicted." - Direct quote from article

Im guessing its worded funny, allow me to fix it how i see it worded.

"More than 10 million more people will subscribe to MMOGs by 2011, and many millions more will play online games driven by other payment schemes, such as advertising and virtual purchases, the report predicted."

Thanks, that clears it up. I think that's it.

cliffside1ra5.png

They omitted the games Lineage and Lineage II, which I believe would otherwise be between WoW and RuneScape. Nevertheless, RuneScape has a large market share these days.

it wasnt ALWAYS that way

i started this game in 5th grade and i was like 12 they added that rule like half year ago :-$