Runescape: A Comparison To Other MMO's

*If this is in the wrong forum, please tell me and I will move it. Also, if this kind of stuff is not allowed on the forums, I will remove it and request this topic be locked.*

READ THE WHOLE THING BEFORE POSTING!

In the May 2007 issue of GamePro magazine (a magazine that covers games of all genres, PC and console), there was a small blurb about the current popularity levels of the top MMORPG's out there, titled "Health Meter: MMO RPGs". After reading over this article and then seeing, today, the latest Tip.it times which also concerns Runescape in comparison to other MMO's, I felt obliged to present this interesting information to the Tip.it community. So, here is where the top 7 MMORPG's lie according to GamePro:

=>(Note: GamePro is a very credible magazine which has been around for a while, so the following info is, for the most part, accurate in the actual popularity of these games.)<=

-City of Heroes/Villians: 10%

-EverQuest II: 20%

-Ultima Online: 30%

-Guild Wars: 35%

-Final Fantasy XI: 45%

-RuneScape: 60%

-World of Warcraft: 99.99%

{The % translates to how popular the game is and how much advertising is put into it (the "life" left in the game, on a market scale)...0% meaning nobody plays it, 50%+ meaning a high/above average amount of people play, 100% meaning its crazy popular w/ lots advertising}

My opinion? The current position of RuneScape surprised me. I mean, I always knew that WoW was the big leader, but Guild Wars and EQ2...I never thought Runescape would be so far ahead of them, considering their better graphics and generally better gameplay AND the lack of Runescape's advertising. To me, this is a statement of just how good RS is, if it can manage to be this popular and lively with such a lack of advertising. What do you guys think?

Discuss! :D

he11sangel5oa2.jpg

^Thanks Lil_Atza!

I love the smell of napalm in the morning. ... Smells like...victory.

well i wasnt sure about this when i read the part about health meter. i thought i missed something relating it to the % of overweight players/sickly/disabled players of these games or something like that who may have depression and such.

but then i found out its like a popularity thing. the thing that gets me, is the %'s. these %'s total up over 100(obviously) so where is the comparison? what doe these %'s represent? thats all im curious about.

to be honest i hadnt heard of city of heroes, or ultima online. i didnt know FF-11 was a MMO. and i thought guild wars was... well a very small time game. personally id think guild wars was lower then everquest.

now we get down to the 2 BIG players. RS and WOW. you have to admit RS cannot stack up to WOW, however its is an alternative and a good one at that it seems.

i really wish RS could put up more of a fight and would maybe advertise alot more. because honestly, people think omg, miniclip kids got our community all messed up. well.. think of it as if a larger # of players = better/more updates and economical benefits/negatives. whatever i mean anything that makes me get a better set of armor and a new bow...

its WAY better then guild wars, sorry for making an unfair statement but its true in my opinion.

it can totally rival WoW if the graphics were as good. both game plays are fair and both addicting even for starters.

the only reason why i chose to not play WoW is because the community sweared, rules were way too strict in almost any clan, community is not the best to make friends for timid people like me.

runescapes a better choice, i made more friends, got to actually experience the game play, its not so addicting, and of course tip.it. :)

because the community sweared, rules were way too strict in almost any clan

swearing is a big deal? i am just curious why you listed this. and i dont mean this to be offensive even tho it will sound like it... but being offended by words is just dumb. they are words, they mean nothing actions are the real things, maybe fear words of actions like, oh im going to kill you. but calling some1 a racial term...

now, i could see if you play use your computer in a family related area and your parents/siblings could view words and stuff that may be offended them selfs causing you indirect punishment or something then MAYBE.

and rules for clans, i dunno about. but i know the ingame rules... are lax. my friend was like dude i looked for the rules page for WOW, and hes like i didnt find it.

but what could the rules be for a clan? how strict? goto every raid?

What you've posted is essentially meaningless as you haven't given the benchmarks used to calculate the percentages. I'm not sure that % = popularity would be an entirely accurate assessment of the situation either... Percentage of what? The world's population?

If you want people to comment intelligently about what you've posted, you'll need to at least post how the games were scored.

siganizq4.gif

wow ! runescape is second most popular game

SUre it's a long way from W0w but still,because it's easy to play and you don't have to download 100 stuff on your pc that don't even work.

Hell yea! I prefer rs to w0w any day.

Final1.jpg

also what you need to remember aparently 70% of people that play wow are addicted wether that be slightly or alot. WoW is eating away at the world. Runescape is online a coffee break game or lunchbreak game although some people play quite a bit more but not comparitive to the up to 10 hours some spend on WoW.

also have you seen the videos on youtube? the WoW vs RS . i get really angry at them because

1. they compare th best content on wow with the most rubbish on rs

2 also runescape is online, online you dont have to download you dont have to buy anything and its free.

so final statement RuneScape is the best in its class

and WoW is the best in its class

Games that are decent or really good: Diablo 2, Runescape, and World of Warcraft!

No, Jagex should not ad this game unless they add more worlds! If they do, then I'm good!

I kinda like how Runescape is over 50% with that 60% but prob won't go much higher unless they get more staff members for updates (new land; quests; more stuff added to skills, etc.) and STOP AUTOERS FOR GOOD

RuneScape is easy to get (no download, no shopping just enter a site).

RuneScape is cheap!

RuneScape is easier to understand!

RuneScape has more background history!

I have 5 minutes of WoW starter experience my experience compared to the times I for fun tries Tutorial island is that RuneScape is easier, more simple and you get further in 5 minutes while in WoW there is more action and RuneScape is like a school bench.

And as Latinoking says they should make a big update where they add 50% more land. 25% more quests. More skills. More Mods. 1 guild for every single skill. Ability to be other races than mankind. No autoers. More indepth tutorial island. Better economy (like in WoW with Gold, Silver and Bronze and maybe a Stockmarket). Ingame clan system. More minigames. And offcouse MORE SERVERS!

460wk.jpg

In Soviet Russia, Veltia's signature stares at YOU!!

The Gielinor Tribune|Blog|The Twax Story

RuneScape is cheap!

I have 5 minutes of WoW starter experience my experience compared to the times I for fun tries Tutorial island is that RuneScape is easier, more simple and you get further in 5 minutes while in WoW there is more action and RuneScape is like a school bench.

And as Latinoking says they should make a big update where they add 50% more land. 25% more quests. More skills. More Mods. 1 guild for every single skill. Ability to be other races than mankind. No autoers. More indepth tutorial island. Better economy (like in WoW with Gold, Silver and Bronze and maybe a Stockmarket). Ingame clan system. More minigames. And offcouse MORE SERVERS!

er, how do you think dividing money into different value of coins helps? exactly. you simply have misunderstood something?

Actually after a year of Runescape you have already payed off GuildWars. GW is free to play you just need to buy the game. I have played all of those, mostly in beta testing, except ultima online and city of heros/villans. As you can see I have stuck with RS for many reasons.

People like WOW becuase it dosen't take that long to get to a top level (60) compared to RS and the graphics are a lot better. I cant tell you how many people I have had start a RS character and within one hour the reasons they give for quiting are either the graphics are terrible or its really boring. But in one hour of WoW all you have done is picked a character and killed like 50 level 3 characters.

sig3gk6.png

*If this is in the wrong forum, please tell me and I will move it. Also, if this kind of stuff is not allowed on the forums, I will remove it and request this topic be locked.*

READ THE WHOLE THING BEFORE POSTING!

In the May 2007 issue of GamePro magazine (a magazine that covers games of all genres, PC and console), there was a small blurb about the current popularity levels of the top MMORPG's out there, titled "Health Meter: MMO RPGs". After reading over this article and then seeing, today, the latest Tip.it times which also concerns Runescape in comparison to other MMO's, I felt obliged to present this interesting information to the Tip.it community. So, here is where the top 7 MMORPG's lie according to GamePro:

=>(Note: GamePro is a very credible magazine which has been around for a while, so the following info is, for the most part, accurate in the actual popularity of these games.)<=

{The % translates to how popular the game is...0% meaning nobody plays it, 50%+ meaning a high/above average amount of people play, 100% meaning its crazy popular}

The current position of RuneScape surprised me...what do you guys think?

Discuss! :D

But we are in april... that means they can predict the future?

13Ra3.png

Veteran Cape Owner (10 year)

I play both Runescape and Wow, and i think that they are both great things, but good for different things, look at them , one as a main course , one a dessert. They are so different that it is hard to compare. On the one hand Runescape has a spread of skills that you can train all of , but a pretty basic combat, with few well predefined classes, but you can play with any form of combat you want at any time, unlike Wow, where you are limited from the moment you start.(For those of you that don't know, you have to choose class race , looks etc at the start of the game). But Wow's combat is very engaging, the fact that you need a group to beat a boss, is something that is'nt really there in runescape, sure you can get a group together to kill the KBD, but what's the point, no great drops, and not much teamwork. But Barbarian Assault is a great mini-game.

Sorry for rambling, but what im saying is that both are worth praise , but for entirely different reasons, depending on whether you want an almost pure combat , or a much more spread out (skills wise) and free range game.

magicaltrevorst2.jpg

well i wasnt sure about this when i read the part about health meter. i thought i missed something relating it to the % of overweight players/sickly/disabled players of these games or something like that who may have depression and such.

but then i found out its like a popularity thing. the thing that gets me, is the %'s. these %'s total up over 100(obviously) so where is the comparison? what doe these %'s represent? thats all im curious about.

The % is like the current "health" of the game on the market...like how much life and spirit it has left in it. WoW has 99.99% (a bit exagurated in my opinion :roll:) because you see it everywhere (lots of advertising and lots of players) so it has a lot of "life" left in it.

Add Silkroad Online to the list.

I did not make this list, GamePro magazine did, so I can't alter it...

But we are in april... that means they can predict the future?

What Teebaun said...at the beginning of the month, they send out the magazine for the next month to get ahead or something (I got May issue at beginning of April)

he11sangel5oa2.jpg

^Thanks Lil_Atza!

RuneScape is cheap!

I like the idea of being more then one race but all in all; Humans are the top of the food chain; I think that Gold, Silver, and Bronze currency won't be added because people already has gotten to use just gold.

Stock Market- I love this idea; no need to merchant anymore when you can let your own gold work for you <3:

not to surprized to be honest, the only reason people hear about EQ2 and those other games is becasue they waste alot of money on advertising but people still dont really like it. while runescape got as much or people due to basicly zero advertising

legends2.jpg

UPDATE: Thanks for all the input guys. I edited the first post a bit to include my opinion and explain the "%" thing a little better, and I answered some questions on the page 1.

he11sangel5oa2.jpg

^Thanks Lil_Atza!

People like RS because its a mellow game. Unlike all those, which require you to have your eyes on your screen every second you play, runescape allows players to relax while playing. I used to play WoW and didn't like it, because the game play was far to stressful for me.

boogie33.png