The next big MMORPG in production... Yours!

Defender2516

Hey guys, I been doing some thinking. You know.. we sit here and wait for the next big company out there to supply us with a fun filled gaming enviroment.

Truth is, half the games can be considered scrap metal and I think the reason why is because most companies are not gamers themselfs, their in it for the bucks. So they don't understand us or what we want.

Reguardless, Linux has given me a wonderful Idea.

The brilliance of Linux is that its a Operating System thats completely free, open sourced code, thats available to everyone. Or another words, it was done by the community! How kewl!

Well, the internet is a fairly large place. What if we created a MMORPG that was created by the community?

Of course, their would be a filter to what goes in and out of the game to prevent hackers. It would be awesome to see the community develop a game.

When I say community, i'm not talking about tip it. I"m talking about the community of the internet! There would be tons of programmers on the job, performing whatever task they are assigned, or would like to do.

It would be great to see a MMORPG that has graphics like guildwars, or higher, and the freedom and gameplay of WoW, but completely free and made by the community.

Seriously, why not make our own games? Why wait to shell out big bucks to these corperations who do not even know what we want? I'm not saying it will be easy.. i'm not saying it will be quick.. but I am saying, it will be a one heck of a adventure to make such a thing a reality.

Just post some feedback here on what you think of the idea. If its a popular demand, i'll do whatever I can on my part to help get it started.

~Defender~

If you love me, send me a PM.

8 - Love me

2 - Hate me

well it certainly won't be a walk in the park, but I think alot of people heer at tipit could begin the frame work such as what is the theme and gameplay like.

we keep seing the same old thing with games, fantasy set in a midevial setting. what I would love to see is a true midevial mmo, no fantasy, as realistic as it gets right down to the plauge.

in other words it would be more of a simmulation of midevial life. but thats never going to happen any time soon. the closest I will see this year will probaly be middle earth online.

Clan Moderator from December 15th 2006- August 20th 2007

Founder of: Terran Gamers, formerly known as Militos Deci

Ok I read over his post a bit more.

Check up what ACLAIM is doing with 'their' MMO. Its a large project like you have described.

I read that, they are NOT doing what I am discussing here.

What they are doing is letting the community test and debug games. My idea is to let the community CREATE the game, like they did with Linux.

Now with 1 man or even a handful, its a impossible job. However, with the entire internet of programmers helping you, you'll get that game up to top notch quick, as long as everyone does their part.

Who knows, if it works out pretty great, a second MMORPG of a different style setting could take play.

~Defender~

8 - Love me

2 - Hate me

Check up what ACLAIM is doing with 'their' MMO. Its a large project like you have described.

What they are doing is letting the community test and debug games. My idea is to let the community CREATE the game, like they did with Linux.

Now with 1 man or even a handful, its a impossible job. However, with the entire internet of programmers helping you, you'll get that game up to top notch quick, as long as everyone does their part.

Who knows, if it works out pretty great, a second MMORPG of a different style setting could take play.

~Defender~

I'm fairly sure the community is making it. Its not open source but its large enough cast of people they are picking.

Sounds like fun, though I'm not too experienced with this kind of stuff, I doubt I'd be of much help if any, but I'd love to help out if you actually get this up and running.

crim2ma.jpg

~^v^~Ex-Leader of the Divine Flames of Redemption~^v^~

~Defender~

I'm fairly sure the community is making it. Its not open source but its large enough cast of people they are picking.

yeah if they are testing it and debugging of course they have things to give the developers...what do you think game testers do...they don't JUST test games, they suggest things to add, things they didn't like, graphical errors, story errors etc

sigggyjv2.gif

Sig by me....

Awsome. The only thing is, i think you would need to designate roles to people, and do online meetings and what not, which could get complicated.

You have to get story makers to all be on the same level.

You would have to have programmers all on the same level, knowing and sharing ideas relating to the language used, as well as having constant nomenclature.

Everyone basically has to be on the same page, which can get hard to do.

I would be interested in making story stuff, but beyond that, i an program anything right now.

Good luck if you can do it.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

~Defender~

yeah if they are testing it and debugging of course they have things to give the developers...what do you think game testers do...they don't JUST test games, they suggest things to add, things they didn't like, graphical errors, story errors etc

Excatly. They suggest changes, they don't literally make those changes. The company's programmers do.

The changes in this game will be created by the community itself. Its not the same thing, trust me. Also, a beta testers job is to find all types of glitchs, redo the glitchs again. Just saying "walking down road, and fell off" doesn't help the programmers at all.

Basically instead of hiring beta testers, they are letting the community do it to safe some money. (Remember its all about the dollar to a companies)

The actually game will be created by their programmers, not beta testers. Even suggestive ideas are that only, suggestive, not things that will actually take place in the game or ever.

This game will be a world that ever expands from the community itself. You'll always get updates with the game because everyone's always working on it, which gives it high quality tone.

~Defender~

8 - Love me

2 - Hate me

A little to much for a forum that plays a JAVA game. thought by all means if you get it off the ground, sign me up. but otherwise, its quite a long shot.

Maybe you should stick to talking out of your [wagon] on religion.

Wow, shut the hell up. This is a videogames forum, stop trying to start a flame war with someone. Go back to the off-topic forum if you want to talk about religion, leave this one to videogames.

klaatu-tabs.jpg

"El que no arriesga no gana"

There are probably several open source MMORPG already being developed (a quick google search found several) and they all look rubbish. Unless a open source project has the backing and support of a large company process is generally slow and the finished product is poor and normally incomplete.

The truth is that there are not many people who want to spend a large amount of their free time programing for free.

The truth is that there are not many people who want to spend a large amount of their free time programing for free.

Nail -> head. Btw, hey Mili, long time no argue. :P

A good person to ask about this might be Lightning - she was involved in RS in its early days, and was a developer on another MMO (that I don't believe ever took off).

With regards to programmers doing work for free.

My brother was a big fan of a certain turn-based strategy games. The company after a while decided to release the games AI code to the public. My brother (Because he is slack and does not work and at one point even claimed he does not believe in money :roll: ) decided to start modifying and updating the AI code for free.

Slowly his new AI become popular among the modding community and slowly spread to other enthusiasts. A few other people started to help him program it. It got to the point where the company started to include few bits and pieces of his work in the odd patch.

The company then decided they wanted to use his 'mod' in the official expansion of the game due out later in the year. Because it was largely my brothers work they needed permission. So he decided to refuse them the rights to use it unless they offer him a job. Promptly he was offered a good wage and a 7 month contract to continue expanding the games AI.

Now the point of my above story. You had a complete slack useless bugger who spent all of his time playing games and rotting on a computer seat. These are the kind of people who normally program for free (like he did), but the moment they start to show any real potential and talent they are quickly grabbed by a gaming studio. The development of his AI mod (AFAIK) has completely halted and would now be released as part of the next expansion.

I've heard its best to do things in an orderly and proper way, so well maybe these steps could help you:

WARNING: requires money, and a hella lot of patience, and the ability to not fall under peer pressure. :P

I. Get a Main Topic for a game. [e.x: see what's popular with this age group and another age group and whatnot.] Make it clever and crafty so its not one of those Adventure Quest games :oops: . Take a look at past games, and how they've developed. Games that have been a big hit:

-runescape

-guild wars

-WoW

II. Hopefully you have a credit card and is able to fund your project and all your servers. Remember, you can't get things for free in life O:) . This might cost a lot :ohnoes: , so its better if you have a dedicated friend, or two, or maybe fifty, to help contribute to the cost of this.

III. Get a team, sort of like a company to sort out legal rights and stuff. Give out positions such as financial manager, president, co-president, a team of designers, and misc. http://www.mmorpgmaker.com

IV. Stick to your plan until the game IS DONE!

V. http://www.2createawebsite.com <- site to make your website, contains many packages and tutorials for your own site to host the game.

VI. Do the rest, you're on your own from here 8-) , tell me when it's a big hit. ::'

Tipit.jpg

If only it was that easy matrix... if only it was that easy.

The fact is like I said an indy development like this where the users are not even in the same building would be near impossible to do well. Want to show an update? Gotta upload it to the server.

Also you say take some inspiration from other MMORPGs matrix but then just noted a couple current large ones. (and Guild Wars which isn't an mmo XD). When you are serrious about making a game you need to get inspiration from everything, play through and take notes of all sorts of games ranging from old classics (UO, EQ, AO, DAoC) to more indy titles and other free titles.

The problem with defenders idea is he wants it to be an open source project. This sounds good at first glance but honestly is and will lead to disaster in something like an MMO. Don't like how class X is treated? Buff them up!

You would need to have a centralized team to do anything.

great idea. i support!

It was always my dream to design computer/video games. From MMORPG's to RPG's to other games.

I'll help. UIn fatc I've already started a little design for future use myself.

I just can't see you finding enough people willing to work for free. An MMO of Guild Wars or WoW quality would take hours of professional work. I would be amazed if you find enough people who are excellent at programming or excellent at the artwork this would require. I would be even more amazed if you found that many people of that quality who are willing to work hours at a time for free. Lastly, most of the people I have described are probably already doing work dealing with their area of expertise and probably won't have enough time to do a side job of this quality. I'm not trying to be a pessimist but I don't think it will work.

All that aside, good luck!

If only it was that easy matrix... if only it was that easy.

The fact is like I said an indy development like this where the users are not even in the same building would be near impossible to do well. Want to show an update? Gotta upload it to the server.

Also you say take some inspiration from other MMORPGs matrix but then just noted a couple current large ones. (and Guild Wars which isn't an mmo XD). When you are serrious about making a game you need to get inspiration from everything, play through and take notes of all sorts of games ranging from old classics (UO, EQ, AO, DAoC) to more indy titles and other free titles.

The problem with defenders idea is he wants it to be an open source project. This sounds good at first glance but honestly is and will lead to disaster in something like an MMO. Don't like how class X is treated? Buff them up!

You would need to have a centralized team to do anything.

heh GUILD WARS, well i agree, so maybe start out with a team of workers, trusty ones.

Tipit.jpg