Why are there yew trees in F2P?

lordkafei

Kicking rulebreakers isn't the problem. If you will actually use your head, then you'd know this. For just kicking rulebreakers to drop the number down drastically enough to seriously damage the game's image the ammount would have to be at least 35%. And like I said; if a corporation does something to make over a third of their customers, which is what may very well happen (or at least appear to, thanks to the player counter), then it becomes extremely difficult to pull back up from that dive, especially for a MMO. Anyone who has taken an economics class &/or has some common sense w/ an intellect higher than an 8 year old spoiled brat should be able to figure this out.

Ooooooh.... gonna stamp your feet and hold your breath too? :P

The point is - Jagex isn't beholden to bend over to every little virtual riot. You don't avoid unpopular changes just because "someone might leave." Sometimes you have to amputate a leg in order to save the body.

The rest is just rehashed argumentum ad populum with a heavy dose of argumentum ad hominem.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kicking rulebreakers isn't the problem. If you will actually use your head, then you'd know this. For just kicking rulebreakers to drop the number down drastically enough to seriously damage the game's image the ammount would have to be at least 35%. And like I said; if a corporation does something to make over a third of their customers, which is what may very well happen (or at least appear to, thanks to the player counter), then it becomes extremely difficult to pull back up from that dive, especially for a MMO. Anyone who has taken an economics class &/or has some common sense w/ an intellect higher than an 8 year old spoiled brat should be able to figure this out.

Ooooooh.... gonna stamp your feet and hold your breath too? :P

The point is - Jagex isn't beholden to bend over to every little virtual riot. You don't avoid unpopular changes just because "someone might leave." Sometimes you have to amputate a leg in order to save the body.

The rest is just rehashed argumentum ad populum with a heavy dose of argumentum ad hominem.

F2P is most of the body. 60%+ are F2P players. If they were gone, then instead of "There are 10,000 People playing!", there would be "There are 4,000 people playing." Since people quit and not alot of people would be coming in, JAGeX would go and so would RuneScape. Even the paying members.

j0xPu5R.png

If he hasn't by now, he likely won't EVER. The best thing that could be done is likely to lock this flame-bait before something's said that can't be un-said.

You never know which rabbit hole you jump into will lead to Wonderland. - Ember3579

Aku Soku Zan. - Shinsengumi

You wanna mess with me or my friends? Pick your poison.

If you have any complaints about me, please refer to this link. Your problems are important to me.

Don't talk smack if you're not willing to say it to the person's face. On the same line, if you're not willing to back up your opinions no matter what, your opinion may as well be nonexistent.

Sorry but I won't support this. In my opinion, my solution (I know it might sound stupid but its my opinion) would be to make anyone lvl-20 and lower not able to cut down yews. It would help out a lot as bots would have to actually train other stats to be able to start cutting. It would make some time avalible to raise the price of the yews to reasonable levels or even back to where it was as the bots actually have to spend time and money training, boosting the economy.

2re411y.jpg...ever since that faithful day on Karjama that I fought the evil chicken, things have never been the same...

Lol, removing the yew trees would only do two things:

1) The bots would just go back to mining ore, or cutting willows.

2) That would be putting alot of very, very, angry F2P'ers in Jagex's lap.

Removing the yew trees wouldn't really help anything in the long run...

bannerbancocopiadj3.jpg

userbarunorbv1.png

[bleep], my parrot has better grammar than you.

{Author of Tip.It Times article}{Founder of the F2P Bankspace Campaign}{Interviewed for the Gielinor Tribune}{F2P Bankspace was ACHIEVED!}

Just a note:

I understand that pretty much everyone disagrees with his idea, but I also think that thusfar a great discussion has emerged from this thread. You guys have done a pretty good job about keeping the flaming to a minimum. But as long as there's a descent discussion going on, I see no reason to lock it :)

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Hey kafei, I got a proposition for you. Why don't you post this suggestion in the RSOF and give us the quickfind code? If things go well over there, then I'll keep quiet. BUT, if it turns out to be fairly similar to the topic here, you'll admit defeat. Deal? Unless if you're f2p yourself, then we won't be able to do this anyway.

You never know which rabbit hole you jump into will lead to Wonderland. - Ember3579

If you have any complaints about me, please refer to this link. Your problems are important to me.

Don't talk smack if you're not willing to say it to the person's face. On the same line, if you're not willing to back up your opinions no matter what, your opinion may as well be nonexistent.

KILL the MaCrOs!11

NOT the YeWs!11

there arnt many raw materials left... that we can sell to p2p... :roll:

i wouldnt like to see other kind of bots in masive amounts...

runeminermb1.gif

^^ click my sig for my lesser ranging guide ^^

jwrm22: 4816th > 99 cooking 100% f2p !1172 total! + 140mil in items.

i dont play anymore... i think rs is ruined

We need our yews! Thats how I made my first mil in f2p (on my other account)! Gah if they remove yews, many f2pers will have to switch getting rich ways, and/or get the level needed. If the yew are made member only, think about the change in price... (most members rely on f2p to get yew logs, therefore if they take yews away, the price could be even 100 gp higher!)

So you're actually suggesting JaGex implements something into the game which for several years have been trying to stop?... :XD:
wo0tilici0us.png

Hey kafei, I got a proposition for you. Why don't you post this suggestion in the RSOF and give us the quickfind code? If things go well over there, then I'll keep quiet. BUT, if it turns out to be fairly similar to the topic here, you'll admit defeat. Deal? Unless if you're f2p yourself, then we won't be able to do this anyway.

I can post this on the Jagex boards, but since f2p can't post there, the discussion may be biased. There is also the problem we all know exists on Jagex forums - posts scoll off quickly.

This is not a matter of victory or defeat. My idea is a great idea that rubs the gold farming industry the wrong way.

This notion of f2p entitlement to a massive stream of wealth simply has to turn around.

PvP is not for me

I can post this on the Jagex boards, but since f2p can't post there, the discussion may be biased. There is also the problem we all know exists on Jagex forums - posts scoll off quickly.

This is not a matter of victory or defeat. My idea is a great idea that rubs the gold farming industry the wrong way.

This notion of f2p entitlement to a massive stream of wealth simply has to turn around.

Since when did you worry about things being biased? Or is it that you know that Jagex will get bombarded with calls for the topic's locking that you're so worried? It isn't too hard to keep a topic alive, you just need to check up on it. Also, "massive stream of wealth" isn't exactly what I'd call it. :roll: Practically the only ones with any real money that's f2p now has either been members previously or is EXTREMELY dedicated (not counting macros and the like). Any and all wealth obtained on f2p is most likely hard-earned, in comparison to being able to make over 100k/hr at less than 20 crafting on members.

Actually, it's against the Suggestion forum rules because it's technically a "free to play update" and that's on the Do Not Suggest sticky.

But why worry whether Jagex mods close it? I was under the impression some of them read *these* forums surreptitiously.

Whether a Jmod approves of the topic is hardly a measure of whether said topic is a good idea or not. ;-)

If Andrew Gower himself told me he thought it was a bad idea, I would disagree. I disagree with a lot of the ways Jagex does things.

PvP is not for me

This is the worst suggestion i have ever heard......... ever!

Jagex has a very good bot detection system which they use to ban thousands of bots/macroers every single day.

Yews are a big part of F2P money making, along with collecting other raw materials. Just because there are autoers there, does that mean we delete part of not only a skill, but an economy? NO! Please refrain from posting rediculous suggestions in the future please. :notalk:

Im back =]

This is the worst suggestion i have ever heard......... ever!

Jagex has a very good bot detection system which they use to ban thousands of bots/macroers every single day.

Yews are a big part of F2P money making, along with collecting other raw materials. Just because there are autoers there, does that mean we delete part of not only a skill, but an economy? NO! Please refrain from posting rediculous suggestions in the future please. :notalk:

It's still not just about bots. Thanks for not reading the thread before making a post.

PvP is not for me

And I don't think the bots will get removed since there are new programs to everything, IP-changing programs etc.. etc.. and bots are created everyday, but that doesn't result in removing the ability to cut yews in F2P, the trees aren't the problem + there are also yew cutter macros in P2P, but that doesn't seem like a problem to you? <.<

Besides the macros aren't just after yews, there's lot of other options for them: Willows, Magic trees, sharks, monkfish, swordfish, lobsters, rune ess, iron, coal, gold etc..

As I have stated earlier in the thread, Jagex and the P2P community do a good job of removing bots in P2P.

And once again, an objection centers on bots and not on people who drop trade from level-3 special accounts to their mains.

It's not just about bots, people.

Um, I don't t think anyone drop trades from a lvl 3 non-bot to a main. After all, what does a lvl 3 have that their main doens't? There main probabley already has all the skills that the lvl 3 skiller they make and train up would be doing for them, and if they don't; there main at least has secondary skills and money to aid in training skills. Sorry but your clutching at straws and thinking about this irrationally. If anything, it's mains drop trading to there lvl 3 soon-to-be pure accounts thats a problem.

As for gold farmers, they are usually nigh undetable up until the moment they try to offlaod their materials, also gold accounts tend to be used by several people (ie one guy does 6 hour shift, next guy does 12 hour shift, ect.). Therefore, they usually make enough money to justify getting membership if they aren't member already. The best way Jagex can cath these people is when they try to offload their goods via drop trading, dieing, duel arena, and unbalanced trades. The update your suggesting won't stop them.

I don't support your "plan" (as you would call it, I call it rs self destruct) because the autoers would move to p2p yews, coal, or lobsters. You seem to think that p2p is invinceable to bots and that Jagex does such a good job patroling it that they can't make any money.

Then why are there still bots? If they were losing money I think they would have given up. But they haven't, and if yews were removed from f2p the price for them would jump to 400-500 gp. It would be p2p autoer heaven. I'm not sure, but I think your update would probabley be better for autoers than players...

:thumbdown:

therealdealseelmealbugyn3.png

We tried using an abyssal whip to 'suggest' they work faster

I am going to try and make an analogy for you about this. There are a lot of people speeding down highways and running red lights. So to stop all of this law breaking going on the government has decided to get rid of all automobiles. Now doesn't that sound like a resonable idea. (sarcasm)

Alot of tree cutters wish that those annoying macros would stop cutting down our trees so we can have a chance at cutting them ourselves. We don't want to emliminate the trees in general. This idea is not only stoping macros from getting money but also honest players that worked hard to get there levels up. Gee. Just genious. This is by far the worst idea i have heard.

Also there are trees that don't have many macros at them you just have to look harder.

98% Of teenagers surround their minds with rap music, if you're part of the 2% that stayed with rock, put this in your signature, ROCK IS BETTER!

blackgoldrobesrv5.pngMageequalitysig.jpg

ok, kafei, if you now get "any" supporter (seems like you got one, and that is yourself) and thinking about posting this to jagex, how will you make them agree with you? :roll:

Hah, made you look. ;D

Used to have a smith/mining blog here, BUT THAT WAS A LONG-TIME AGO.

I am going to try and make an analogy for you about this. There are a lot of people speeding down highways and running red lights. So to stop all of this law breaking going on the government has decided to get rid of all automobiles. Now doesn't that sound like a resonable idea. (sarcasm)

This is a very flawed analogy. F2P doesn't require yews in order for people to test drive the game. You can learn to woodcut, and train woodcutting very effectively on lesser trees that don't generate nearly as much runescape gold.

Alot of tree cutters wish that those annoying macros would stop cutting down our trees so we can have a chance at cutting them ourselves. We don't want to emliminate the trees in general. This idea is not only stoping macros from getting money but also honest players that worked hard to get there levels up. Gee. Just genious. This is by far the worst idea i have heard.

Also there are trees that don't have many macros at them you just have to look harder.

I do wish you guys would stop hiding behind that macroer excuse, because it still isn't just about macroers.

PvP is not for me

This is a very flawed analogy. F2P doesn't require yews in order for people to test drive the game. You can learn to woodcut, and train woodcutting very effectively on lesser trees that don't generate nearly as much runescape gold.

First, there is the domino effect. IF you remove yews, bots will move to other things and eventually they might as well remove F2P altogether. My second comment is that the analogy is not nearly so flawed as you think. Yews are not necessary, but neither are automobiles.

what happened to that 5min not moving rule in classic?

u dont move for 5min and you are auto logged out

its a pretty good rule but they dont have it any more (even if u were clickign u still had to move in 5min (it gave u a message on chat screen))

fulldragsigcopydh25.jpg

I do wish you guys would stop hiding behind that macroer excuse, because it still isn't just about macroers.

Um....yeah it is. That's the only reason you want to take away yew trees, isn't it?

I can't believe how long this is taking you to realize how horrible of an idea this is. :wall: It's like the pure rune ess idea, but worse. #-o

Tetsuya.png