This board - the community category - index placement?

I haven't discussed this with anyone really but I was thinking about making this category in a bit of a better place.

How about we move RuneScape news to a subcategory of the new General discussion board - but again, revert it back to just a reference place (archive-type). Except each news item has a link to the new, staff-posted discussion of the days updates. People will post their own but at least we would have a designated one.

Then perhaps make Forum Discussion/Suggestions a subforum of Announcements and then make Website Corrections its own board beneath that along with a subcategory for Suggestions/Ideas.

Something along those lines so this Community category isn't left at the bottom??

sithbridgeay2.jpg

I actually kind of like these boards in their own position. If someone has a problem with this board, or a suggestion, they would need to be an active user, and have found their way around the boards before they should even contemplate the thought of a suggestion; then, they should know how to find these boards if they are an active enough user to post a thought out suggestion. So, yes, I disagree.

I do see what you mean about how this section may be a bit 'buried,' but I'm actually quite content with the way it is now. Maybe I'm just reluctant to change or just used to the placement it has now.. but I like the current organization. And I'd rather not make anymore subforums if possible :ohnoes:

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I honestly don't know why people are mad at sub-forums. they are very visible, and do appear at the top of the actual forum its subbed from. sub-forums for the win?

Anyways, I'm kinda mixed on this. If we make it visible at the top, we may get users who aren't quite experienced in their posts. So as to say we get very poor English quality, and probably poor explanations. However we may also get very good quality posts, since it may be there.

So its official that rs updates will be posted by Tip It staff and TIF staff? If not, there was a topic about this, or a post relating to it, and I think I was in for that.

I'm trying to picture this:

Announcements

Website forum..

Forum Updates and suggestions

^I really wouldn't like that=/

Announcements, Forum Updates/Suggestions

Website Corrections

Well, just the image of it gives me the willys. The first forum is suppose to look new and fresh, Announcements, stats with an A, that makes it represent very well and gives a good look. Adding corrections, or an update forum on that first board, would probably drag the image down, a lot. Just possibly may turn some users away.

I think putting forum suggestions as a sub-forum wouldn't be too bad. A second forum would be needed though, and not a Website Correction, suggestion forum. Maybe from that previous topic, where about the contest, or community involvement talks, that forum could go there, if implemented.

I do think, that this board is quite buried, and could be more advertised, someway.

People will post their own but at least we would have a designated one.

Isn't that what we're trying to avoid? :wall:

As to the rest, I'm gonna sit back and let this play out.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Mmm, i don't know if there's a good update the board useally get's alot of replys, making it into a sub-board will draw the attention away from it.

Some people dream of success, while others make it happen.

I actually kind of like these boards in their own position. If someone has a problem with this board, or a suggestion, they would need to be an active user, and have found their way around the boards before they should even contemplate the thought of a suggestion; then, they should know how to find these boards if they are an active enough user to post a thought out suggestion. So, yes, I disagree.

I definitely agree. And as for turning this into a Sub-forum - no thanks. If anything I wouldn't mind the tip.it community feedback moved above the "clans section" though that would kind of mix up with the Rs related type of forums so really that wouldn't work.

I'm fine with it at the moment. :wink:

I think I agree with Errdoth.

Someone who wants to give us feedback should be someone who has something serious to say and knows their way around.

It's too true that people who are new to a forum will post in the first board they see, lol. And even as "buried" as these three boards are (forum discussion, website corrections and website discussion), we still have people come in here every week and say "there's a bad ad on the site!" and "why can't my sig be bigger!" and other repeat topics.

So ... yeah.

I wish we had more regular participation and quality corrections from long time forum users in Website Corrections, but hopefully someday we'll be able to improve turnaround on making changes and that might encourage people more.

gallery_28257_123_2330.jpggallery_28257_123_196.gif

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

At the moment I agree with Errdoth and Pokemama. I don't mind where this board/s is at the moment. What are your own personal preferences for moving the board to the top Sith? Would it provide some advantages apart from more people viewing?

sig2ho7.jpg

Can someone give me a like 4-5 sentences of why a sub-forum is bad, awful, and whatever else has been said?

If sub-forums are so bad, then why doesn't someone improve them for they're good, and usable, because sub-forums are very useful at almost anytime. Rather then mods, admins, and users complaining about them. I don't see whats wrong with sub-forums? :-s

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This board being a sub-forum at the top of the forum would get viewed more, and tif would probably get a lot more spam here, but on the ratio of spam to good suggestions, we'd also get a lot more suggestions.

I think making more work in this forum, for better and more suggestions is well worth it.

Like whomever said, one or two topics per week are spam, well 7-9 others are good ones, and about 2 every three weeks are considered further. If we increased the advertisement, I'm pretty sure a lot more good would come from moving it.

I know that moving it would create more spam, meaning more work. And to global mods/admins, thats a burden on their shoulders, plus the 6 tons already on there. But that shouldn't stop you from missing the fact of what I've stated. Make mods that look after this forum, improve the advertisement of the stickies(on all forums).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if this is possible, my knowledge of scripts end at javascript, and CSS, but how about making the three stickies appear in a sort of pop-up box, and once you've read them, that box no longer would appear.

Of course the box would have an exit button, but after reading the stickies it tells you to read, it goes away?

skatedog111 - It's really just a matter of personal preference. As for me, I just don't like the way subforums look. They're supposed to help in terms of organization, but I feel that they make the forum look more cluttered. I think that some subforums are helpful and even needed, but I'd rather stray away from them when they're not necessary.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

People usually don't like Sub-Forums because it can draw an unwanted attention to it from a different group. For example, the Debate Club sub-forum is designed for civilized discussions, but because it is a sub forum of the Rants forum (which many people think of as very uncivilized), many people who might go to it are drawn away by the thought that the association with Rants means that Debate Club is immature.

Sub-forums are usually used to help organize areas as well, such as Help and Advice. These sub-forums, however, can actually become more of a hassle if people are ignorant of their existence and simply post where they feel like it. That is why many times, we find topics in the main Help and Advice area that can directly be linked to a specific sub-forum. Because of this ignorance, it can make it harder on Moderators, so a decision to remove sub-forums may not just be for aesthetic purposes, but also to ease stress on the staff who must manage those boards.

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

Officially reached 100 Combat at 1:33PM EST, June 14, 2007

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat

People usually don't like Sub-Forums because it can draw an unwanted attention to it from a different group. For example, the Debate Club sub-forum is designed for civilized discussions, but because it is a sub forum of the Rants forum (which many people think of as very uncivilized), many people who might go to it are drawn away by the thought that the association with Rants means that Debate Club is immature.

Sub-forums are usually used to help organize areas as well, such as Help and Advice. These sub-forums, however, can actually become more of a hassle if people are ignorant of their existence and simply post where they feel like it. That is why many times, we find topics in the main Help and Advice area that can directly be linked to a specific sub-forum. Because of this ignorance, it can make it harder on Moderators, so a decision to remove sub-forums may not just be for aesthetic purposes, but also to ease stress on the staff who must manage those boards.

I see. although, I still think they should be used, even to the mods of the hassle it is. How about besides just deleting the topic, and warning them, take action onto their account, if they aren't new users, and such.

Because if the whining(not talking just about the mods) would stop about sub-forums, a lot could be down, and not so much would be restrained.

I see. although, I still think they should be used, even to the mods of the hassle it is. How about besides just deleting the topic, and warning them, take action onto their account, if they aren't new users, and such.

Because if the whining(not talking just about the mods) would stop about sub-forums, a lot could be down, and not so much would be restrained.

Sub-forums aren't helpful in my opinion. Although it is personal preference, most people on the forum agree that some sub-forums are useless. The Help and Advice forum isn't as organised with sub-forums. That's one big problem with having sub-forums Skatedog. The sub-forums are never being used correctly, therefore, there is no point in their existance. You don't want mods spending all their time moving threads from the general forum to the correct sub-forum. That will put a heck of a lot of stress on them. I know this for a fact. Although it seems easy for someone to say that the mods should just move the posts, it's an incorrect assumption. For example, when I brought up the idea about the sub-forums changes in Help and Advice, I reported almost all of the out of place topics that belonged in a different sub-forum. Of course, the mods did their job and moved them to the correct sub-forum. Do you think if you were a mod though, you would want to move topics to a different sub-forum when 5 minutes later the kid may repost it due to no answer? I know that it would be annoying. A lot of people didn't learn when their topics got moved. Later on, they would incorrectly place their topics again. It's a lot of unnecessary work when you could eliminate the problem by eliminating the sub-forums in a lot of forums!

-------------------------------------

On topic, The Sith, I believe that the area where this forum stands is perfectly fine. Anyone that has a well thought out suggestion will find this forum if they wish to share their opinion. I don't think that the placing of this forum is discouraging anybody from posting. It's not too hard to locate. The good thing about the placement is that you also don't get too many worthless suggestions. By putting more attention into this forum, you get a heck of a lot more suggestions. Some of these suggestions are very nice suggestions. The problem is, these are rare. I think it is rare to get a well thought out, prepared suggestion on this forum. By moving it, you may get more well thought out suggestions, but with it, there will be a lot of worthless, 2 responses topics. It's truly up to you, but I think this forum is great where it stands! Most of the people browsing this forum are mature, and because of that, you are getting great suggestions! For instance, since you did the Global Announcement, the public has been more inclined to visit this forum. Due to the increase in public, there has been a lot more suggestions. Like I said, some are very helpful, and then, there are some that just aren't too helpful. It's just what you think will benefit the forum best. I believe that the placement is good how it stands!

Thanks!

Devoted

devotedconstructionkt0.jpg

Devoted, I know what it means to be a mod, and I very well know how much of a hassle it is be to move everything, and to have someone re-post. I've had my share of that. you reply goes on to your personal view, of which you will explain a mod and a mod's hassle, which would be fulfilling to me, if I didn't know what the mods had to do, to get things done. I understand completely, but they also understand what they get into when they accept the mod position(and no offense to mods, I know your humans and have limits on what you can do, hence the stress, but you are entitled to help the forums).

Everyone uses a negative sub-forum as an excuse to sub-forums. I've heard no negative things about OT and the video game sub-forum, or the market, or the player made-guides, and even rate this. Sub-forums are easy to use, and understand. New users are the ones who post in Help & Advice(And yes 20% is moderate to older users, I've even posted in it like 20-30times), and thats why they are posting there. Imagine the chaos it would be w/o the sub-forum. Remember to ask yourself, why you made that sub-forum, and did it help with its objective? Yes, I believe they do. If you take them out, the objective will return.

Devoted when you say the board is good where it stands, this board is 6 categories down, and thats enough to prove its buried, rather then in a good spot. I believe the forum here, should be moved, and be advertised that is visible, but not greatly seen by new users. This forum took me 3 weeks to actually look at, when I first joined. By then I had read almost every stickied topic(tbh there are some I haven't read), I did feel it in myself, to post on here, but I grew greatly bored of it. Until I actually found out that this place has a higher mature level then OT(I'm serious-.-). This forum needs the attention of users, they need to know that if they find something missing, they go here, not gp2p, not general, not help and advice. In those 3 weeks, if i had known about this forum, I would have posted many things. Half of those hadn't been suggested, most of the others were older discussed topics, 2 or 3 were things to do with the site. I know many are concerned with how this board may turn into. but I am greatly suggesting mods are put onto this forum. Look at general and gp2p. Combine the spam in there and put it here. Then cut half of the topics in half posted per day. Thats my estimation on activity here after 4 weeks. then it will die down, almost nearly returning to normal. If mods are put onto this forum, it won't have a negative effect. Mods here will keep it down to the minimum.

To add something you must make a sacrifice. If negative things keep popping up, and aren't dealt with, example: move forum-too much attention, too many noobs(basically)-so make that sacrifice go away, by adding something to it. Sub-forums don't work-users post in the actual forum, fix by implementing something to fix this.

I really hope problems that grow on a suggestion to get fixed, or else they'll keep piling up. Yes, I know some suggestions will be so good, that the problem thats built on it, will be ignored(that's why I'm here lol), and chaos will come out of it, and it'll be removed, then 3-4 weeks later its suggested again with a new approach. It's a cycle I don't want to see. How to fix these problems? I don't know, maybe those extra members that may come here, may oddly point it out.

Everyone uses a negative sub-forum as an excuse to sub-forums. I've heard no negative things about OT and the video game sub-forum, or the market, or the player made-guides, and even rate this. Sub-forums are easy to use, and understand. New users are the ones who post in Help & Advice(And yes 20% is moderate to older users, I've even posted in it like 20-30times), and that's why they are posting there. Imagine the chaos it would be w/o the sub-forum. Remember to ask yourself, why you made that sub-forum, and did it help with its objective? Yes, I believe they do. If you take them out, the objective will return.

I'm one of the mods that is for the sub-forums (except Help & Advice). As skatedog said, the admins make them to solve something, not just for the heck of it. All of the sub-forums so far (except H&A) have been excellent. The Video Games board is very active. When video games were posted on the normal OT board, they would fall after a few days. There would never be a thread like the WoW thread that exists there. I'm also for the Music, Movie, and TV change to a subforum. IMO, anything that is directly related to a category, and is not active enough to succeed at a high level (about the level of Rants) needs to be a subforum.

In addition, I think the activity of M,M, & TV will rise significantly if it moves to a subforum. As I would guess OT has triple the amount of users viewing it, don't you think they may see at the top "MUSIC, MOVIES, & TV", and want to visit it? The only problem I ever had with subforums and moderating, is accidentally moving threads that need to be in Help & Advice, to PMG. :wall:

-------------------------------------------------------

Now for the index placement...

BEWARE: RADICAL IDEA

I would change the top category to News & The Community. I would then leave Announcements, Rules, and Security Warnings and RS news as it is. I would add under that, Website Updates and Corrections, it would be a blank board with submission detail, but you wouldn't be able to submit anything there. There would be an a Databases subforum, a Quests subforum, and a Guide/Misc subforum. Under that board, there would be Community Feedback (also a blank board with info). There would be two subforums, Forum Updates & Suggestions and Website Discussion.

I know, pretty radical, but I bet it would work.

3textsz2.png

< | Runehead | Learning Java Programming, Please PM Me Tips | Signature by Loaf2000 | >

Thanks Aaron on posting that. However, I don't quite get your 'radical idea', could you...go more on that?I'm intrigued by the idea.

I'm just senseing a bit of subforum prejudice/hatred. I was just warning users that my idea includes what some disapprove of. It's not often that someone actually suggests more subforums, they usually just want to pull them away.

3textsz2.png

< | Runehead | Learning Java Programming, Please PM Me Tips | Signature by Loaf2000 | >

Oh no, not that. I was just wondering what you meant by blank board? I think what you entitled in your paragraph solves a lot, but I don't know what you mean by blank boards?
Kind of like this, and this. See, you can't post a topic directly there, but it explains things, and shows you the subforums.

3textsz2.png

Devoted, I know what it means to be a mod, and I very well know how much of a hassle it is be to move everything, and to have someone re-post. I've had my share of that. you reply goes on to your personal view, of which you will explain a mod and a mod's hassle, which would be fulfilling to me, if I didn't know what the mods had to do, to get things done. I understand completely, but they also understand what they get into when they accept the mod position(and no offense to mods, I know your humans and have limits on what you can do, hence the stress, but you are entitled to help the forums).

Everyone uses a negative sub-forum as an excuse to sub-forums. I've heard no negative things about OT and the video game sub-forum, or the market, or the player made-guides, and even rate this. Sub-forums are easy to use, and understand. New users are the ones who post in Help & Advice(And yes 20% is moderate to older users, I've even posted in it like 20-30times), and thats why they are posting there. Imagine the chaos it would be w/o the sub-forum. Remember to ask yourself, why you made that sub-forum, and did it help with its objective? Yes, I believe they do. If you take them out, the objective will return.

Devoted when you say the board is good where it stands, this board is 6 categories down, and thats enough to prove its buried, rather then in a good spot. I believe the forum here, should be moved, and be advertised that is visible, but not greatly seen by new users. This forum took me 3 weeks to actually look at, when I first joined. By then I had read almost every stickied topic(tbh there are some I haven't read), I did feel it in myself, to post on here, but I grew greatly bored of it. Until I actually found out that this place has a higher mature level then OT(I'm serious-.-). This forum needs the attention of users, they need to know that if they find something missing, they go here, not gp2p, not general, not help and advice. In those 3 weeks, if i had known about this forum, I would have posted many things. Half of those hadn't been suggested, most of the others were older discussed topics, 2 or 3 were things to do with the site. I know many are concerned with how this board may turn into. but I am greatly suggesting mods are put onto this forum. Look at general and gp2p. Combine the spam in there and put it here. Then cut half of the topics in half posted per day. Thats my estimation on activity here after 4 weeks. then it will die down, almost nearly returning to normal. If mods are put onto this forum, it won't have a negative effect. Mods here will keep it down to the minimum.

To add something you must make a sacrifice. If negative things keep popping up, and aren't dealt with, example: move forum-too much attention, too many noobs(basically)-so make that sacrifice go away, by adding something to it. Sub-forums don't work-users post in the actual forum, fix by implementing something to fix this.

I really hope problems that grow on a suggestion to get fixed, or else they'll keep piling up. Yes, I know some suggestions will be so good, that the problem thats built on it, will be ignored(that's why I'm here lol), and chaos will come out of it, and it'll be removed, then 3-4 weeks later its suggested again with a new approach. It's a cycle I don't want to see. How to fix these problems? I don't know, maybe those extra members that may come here, may oddly point it out.

Yeah I get your side of the debate. Also, I didn't specifically mean that you don't know what it takes to be a mod, I meant a lot of people don't. Other than that, I see your side and it'll just be a clash of opinions if we continue this. I believe one thing and you another, perfectly normal. :) I think mods are very helpful and have a tough job. They get their job done, but at times it can be stressful. With some sub-forums being eliminated, I feel their job could be a little easier! That's all I'm saying. :wink:

----------------------------------------

I also see your side of the debate for moving the forum. If it were to be moved, I totally agree that mods should be assigned to the forum. That sounds like a great idea to me! Some people don't see this board, which is fully understandable, but it is sort of their fault. I mean I know this board is farther down on the index, thus, not many people venture too far down to see this forum, yet it is their own fault. For some people, they would see this forum and strive to make this forum a better place by posting suggestions and input, but for a lot of other people, they will just overlook it and go straight to their favorite forum.

If you really wanted to find and help the boards with your input, you could find this forum just like you would with any other forum. You scroll past this while going to the off-topic forum, yet people still post on that. The ordering can affect the boards success, yet not greatly in my opinion. If anyone wanted to find this forum, you could. If it wasn't an interest, then they skip past it like any other forum that doesn't interest them. It's their choice in my opinion.

I don't know if this has been done or not, but why can't we just make a sticky under announcements that explains each and every forum, in order, with what the forum concerns. You could put it right under thr Tip.It Forum guide. The forums guide touches the surface of what I am trying to create, so, that is not what I was thinking. :lol: It would explain all about each forum. If all the new users were to read that (which I know won't happen :lol: ) then it would eliminate a lot of problems and help them choose what forums interest them and what forums don't. It would help them know where to post what, and to use the search button first. All this could eliminate a lot of misplace threads which would be great! I would be happy to do this, in fact, I will take it upon myself to start this sticky since I suggested it, and post it if I finish. By doing so, it is entirely on the users choice if they did not see this forum or any other forum! It was their choice to skip the sticky, their choice to scroll past this board, all on their shoulders.

If any of the Admins or Mods would like me to continue on this sticky I was talking about, please feel free to PM me and I will do so!

Thanks!

Devoted

devotedconstructionkt0.jpg

Devoted, make a rough draft and post it, as another topic, I'll be greatly happy to help you there. Although I will post a positive, and a negative.

However, as you doubt, and probably many others do, the potential of new members, which isn't that great, the topic might be minimal success. People not wanting to find this board, and knowing it exists is a different choice in words. If this board were to be moved, imo this would happen:

-More advertisement

--1. More mods needed.

--2. More topics

----A, A new way to organize this board

----B, A way to filter each topic

-Better mature posts

--1. A larger discussion to be needed on each topic

--2. A new format of each post to be made in

----A, Posts not following this format, be deleted.

-More negative posts

--1. Mods needed

--2. Better filter

-Someone who will take these suggestions, consider them with other tip it staff, then be rejected or approved

--1. This group should be 6 people, who vary in specialties

-The boards will look odd for a few weeks

--1. Positivity among mods will be critical

--2. Any mod/admin complaining or hinting against the way the boards look, may cause problems among those who do not wish for this

----A, if the above were to happen, polls should be brought in

*There's probably more, but I'm just underlining some.

That is my estimation of what would happen and would needed. Something I didn't go on was sub-forums. Yes, you say they're negative. However turning that negative into something positive, will make any of your arguments, for the better.

*That list doesn't represent all of my ideas, and really shouldn't be taken seriously on the deciding factor of the change...