Jagex considering runescape for a console release.

bluecentaur

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Runescape developer Jagex has revealed a console version of its browser-based fantasy MMO is something it keeps considering, the arrival of Xbox 360, Wii and PS3 making such more tempting than ever before.

"It's certainly more interesting with the current generation of consoles of course because they're far more internet-connected than the previous generation and it just wasn't worth looking at", the game's creator Andrew Gower told CVG recently.

This could bring this game to a wider audience, but could bring in more problems than good. <.<

Can anybody confirm that link for me?

Sorry but i don't trust when i can't see the full link, especially from somebody with no avvy, sig and -20 post count

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

t would just kill runescape.compared to elder scrolls oblivion out on the xbox360 for example,it would just be blown out of the water.yeah it would get support from existing fans but by many who havent ecxperienced the great game they would just slate it.it also would feel as good.i love the crudness of the game and its accessibility.i hope it doesnt go onto consoles anyway.

tifsdac6mc.gif

t would just kill runescape.compared to elder scrolls oblivion out on the xbox360 for example,it would just be blown out of the water.yeah it would get support from existing fans but by many who havent ecxperienced the great game they would just slate it.it also would feel as good.i love the crudness of the game and its accessibility.i hope it doesnt go onto consoles anyway.

Some of my thoughts exactly.

Gee, Im glad some people are so nice to new arrivals at tip.it... <.<

Calm down, most people get it. Its just people don't really want to go onto a ste which could be full of viruses and keyloggers, and as you're relatively new, people won't know whether you would pull a trick like that or not.

http://custom.leetscape.com/sig/63/70/combat.png[/img]

You just won the award for "The Most niave person on the Tip.it Boards!"]
*Points towards the monkey sitting on the button and declining every query*
Help me

No.

Ok i've read it and...i dont think they will move it to the consoles. As andrew says, it will change a fundimental feature of rs, the updates and 'closeness' to the creators that you get with rs. With other games you probably NEVER come in any contact with the creaters of the game, but in rs you do. In consoles, as andrew says, you would lose that. Also i think most of the console market are already pre-occupied with much more complex and graphically complex games, and very few would be interested in rs. Maybe making it more of a loss of money for jagex than a gain.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Oh... Please nooooooo.......

This would ruin Jagex, everyone who has whatever console it is for would try it, laugh at it, and poeple who play it now would buy the console, and learn that other games are better, because on a system, it's much different...

It really is crude, but cool in it's cruidity. (Yes it's not a word)

That's what it takes to be a hero, a little gem

of innocence inside of you that makes you want

to believe that there still exists a right and wrong,

that decency will somehow triumph in the end.

--Lise Hand

I think if Jagex did this properly it could be a large hit.

For example instead of having the same game just with better graphics they could make it about a storyline from a quest.

How about The elf quests

I could imagine doing regicide and underground pass in a 3d world where you attack manually :XD:

Anyone agree me :ohnoes:

Omega.gif

Thanks Yaff2 for the sig^,^

For example instead of having the same game just with better graphics they could make it about a storyline from a quest.

How about The elf quests

I could imagine doing regicide and underground pass in a 3d world where you attack manually :XD:

that would be very good, instead of just making runescape compatable for the consoles, make an entirely new game. Along the lines of fable, but with rs backstory, quests and items.

zqXeV.jpg

How about The elf quests

The article suggests it'd be a straight port, this means it'd look exactly the same on a console as it would running on your computer.

I could see Jagex being unkeen to do a boxed version, hence why this generation of consoles is more desirable, their plan is probably to add the Runescape browser to the Xbox Live Marketplace, PSN Store and Wii Shop Channel, they could also have you pay for subscription via these areas (like Phantasy Star Universe does).

The main thing holding them back from releasing it on the Xbox360 would be how strict Microsoft is with online content, developers often don't meet the deadlines they've hinted at because Microsoft wants to ran quality control on the content, hence slowing down the updates.

Personally, considering how the PS3 runs Linux and how much the modding has done with the PS3's runni9ng Linux I think it'd be a good platform to test Runescape out on, in regards to updates they could just keep the PS3 users and PC users on different servers and update them seperatly.

Also, considering the PS3 has has less than stellar sales it'd allow PS3 users to trickle into Runescape, I'd have thought very few early adopters would have bought it to play RS, so steadily as the PS3 finally gets a killer app or two as well as a price drop (we'll see what they say at E3) more and more people will buy a PS3 and may play Runescape via the PS3.

Although, personally the only real advantage i can see for using Runescape on a console (assuming it is a straight port) would be it being integrated into the systems online segment, considering the 360 is the only one with a unified friends list and it's unlikely to go to it there's not much incentive for me to switch from the PC.

Meh if they did do it it wouldnt surprise me. Jagex is a company that makes money off this game and opening it up to a wider userbase would be a good move on their part - ÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâãÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâãÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã wise...

I think it would however force existing players to move to the console platform since they might put great new features in the game.

I like this game for it's simplicity and retro style, and i'd loath a console version to appear on the market with updated graphics and whatever.

You just have to accept that RuneScape won't be here forever also.

Unless they somehow manage to bring it up to the amazingness (graphic and depth-wise) of games such as Oblivion, console gamers who have never played runescape before will just skip it. The only ones to purchase it would be the fans.

Since when is Jagex any good at creating games for consoles anyway? They program in java for god's sakes. All in all it would be a big time and money sink that would ultimately flop.

would be pretty awesome if they could get runescape for the wii...i'd be more hooked than i am now!

pretty hard to implement in now...i mean with the game relying so much on other actual players and not npcs

gladz.png

Proud Retired Council of The Gladiatiorz

Click here for our website - 110+ F2P Combat Requirements

This is a great idea!

It will improve the RS community as much as advertising on Miniclip did. Way to go, Jagex!

~q

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

I got a 360 and oblivion atm. I would rather pplay rs as there is so much more to do and its a lot more challenging. Acheivments mean more as well. A lot of people should relise that although 360 games are amazing after a while of playing them they will get bored. The only game this hasn't to me for is RS. Fair enough I do have long breaks from it but I can't say I've been bored with it

Barrows drops: Torags pl8, Torgas legs, Guthans chainskirt

I got a 360 and oblivion atm. I would rather pplay rs as there is so much more to do and its a lot more challenging. Acheivments mean more as well. A lot of people should relise that although 360 games are amazing after a while of playing them they will get bored. The only game this hasn't to me for is RS. Fair enough I do have long breaks from it but I can't say I've been bored with it

Completely different types of games, there are currently two MMORPGs for the 360, PSU and FFXI these could both keep you hooked for a very long time.

The biggest eye catcher Runescape has is the fact you can play for free. Let's face it, by the looks of it none of Jagex's team has been making high resolution textures and so on (not for a while at any rate seeing as they'd be working on RS), also to implement a control they'd probably have to redo the interface to suit each console.

Add in the fact they might have to use a new graphics engine and perhaps even a physics engine so that they could even come close tosome of the graphics we're seeing it's highly unlikely that Jagex is going to opt to shiny up the graphics to compete with other games.

If i were Jagex I'd do a feasability study into porting the game over to the PS3, a lot of people have been using homebrews on it and it can support keyboard and mouse, the only real hurdle I can see is striking up a deal with Sony.

all that really has to happen is for either a voice recognition software to be developed for Runescape or for Microsoft to update the software on 360 to support full keyboard and mouse functions.

Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle.

George S. Patton

1242631666.png