Our Drop System?

highlanders

yeah i got 1 blackmark once 2 years ago and best non-clue drop out of 3 years and 92 cb levels was a r scim probably. And also I don't think its the 2 d legs per hour theory because I was once at iron drags for almost 3 hours alone no good drop back before I was unfairly banned

2 D legs per hour!? lol who ever told you that theory is Trippin HARD. People say the stupidest things lol.

Howdydee2003:

99 Attack - 99 Strength - 99 Hits - 99 Magic - 99 Smithing

First To get 99 Smithing With GoldSmithing Guants

Zx7r Ninja (Currently Training) Updated 2/14/09: Ags Achieved on 2/15/09

75/75 Attack 89/99 Strength 50/50 Def 78/85 Hits

***Owned a Bandos Godsword since 59 Combat***

Also remember that the wheel is only a graphical representation of a random drop with fixed probabilities.

I guess thats true 8-)

Howdydee2003:

99 Attack - 99 Strength - 99 Hits - 99 Magic - 99 Smithing

First To get 99 Smithing With GoldSmithing Guants

Zx7r Ninja (Currently Training) Updated 2/14/09: Ags Achieved on 2/15/09

75/75 Attack 89/99 Strength 50/50 Def 78/85 Hits

***Owned a Bandos Godsword since 59 Combat***

The drop rate system is split into wheel of fortune style which means when a monster dies, a wheel is spun landing on several common drops, nothing and a rare slot. When it lands on the rare slot, another wheel spins which determines the kind of rare item you recieve: "gem" category (all the regular gems, half keys, half the dragon square shield and the dragon spear; any monster that drops a gem can drop any of these), equipment and others.

Those not in the rare wheel are:

Currency,

Runes,

Clue Scrolls,

Bones,

Hides,

Ammunition,

Challenge Scrolls,

The "junk" equipment,

And possibly others.

The ring of wealth does not affect any of the above item drops; Only what you might gain from the rare wheel (i.e. More frequent diamonds from the gems, higher chances to get the dragon parts) is.

That is mostly common knowledge for most people.

You Talk like its common Fact. i yet to see proof of anything saying there is such a wheel lol.

Jagex mods gave out information about this in several questions, and this is what I've gathered. While I cannot trace the original messages since they were deleted you have every right to ask them anything yourself. :P
"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

yeah i got 1 blackmark once 2 years ago and best non-clue drop out of 3 years and 92 cb levels was a r scim probably. And also I don't think its the 2 d legs per hour theory because I was once at iron drags for almost 3 hours alone no good drop back before I was unfairly banned

You do realise the 2 legs/hour/server was an example of what a drop system like that would look like, and not based on any facts?

2480+ total

My Wheel Theory

The general 'wheel' concept is essentially the same as the dice concept above. Each drop is assigned to a slice of the wheel or side of the dice. Rares might only have one slice (then off to the second wheel), and coins might have 10% of the slices.

However a computer cannot truly generate a random outcome as it can't actually spin a wheel or roll a dice, so the outcome is based on specific input criteria.

My Theory

I believe (without any real evidence), that the input criteria to choose which slice is spun is based upon user, server, and time (among other more generic ones). This would account for the specially good or bad luck that some people get.

Another question is "What determines the slices of the wheel or the sides of the dice? Are they always static?". I'm not sure they are. ROW affects slices/sides to some extent. Maybe not all drops are available on each particular spin????

Thus ends my theory ramblings ...

WARNING: Prone to ramble ... but you probably already know that!

truffoo.png

1% F2P : 99% RL

The roulette wheel theory has been confirmed by one of the Old God Letters to Guthix. I forget exactly which one it is, but it's one of the older ones. I'll find it if I can and copy it down in this thread.

Cowmasta13.png

If thou consider the possessions of an enemy to be like a roulette wheel, then the 'rare' items so coveted by players are located on a second roulette wheel, that will only be spun shouldst thou roll a specific number on the first wheel.

The ring of wealth affects not the number which thou may achieve upon the first wheel, but should thou gain the precise number to allow thee access to the second, the ring will make thy chances of gaining an object on that second roulette wheel all the greater.

My analogy is flawed, for death is not like roulette, but I hope that thou see the truth within this.

http://www.runescape.com/varrock/letters/letters24.ws

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

MischlingsSH.png

What if each monster has a set number of possible drops, that are then coded as numbers.

Ex: A common drop of coins would have say, 177 number tags associated with it, from a total of 500 possible ones. A rare drop of dragon legs would only have one tag associated with it.

Each tag is then assigned a number (in ascending order). A random number generator is then configured to only go up to the largest number. When you kill a monster, the random number generator generates a number, whose associated tag is the drop.

Ex: You kill a Skeletal Wyvern, and the random number generator generates the number 27, which is associated with the tag corresponding to granite legs.

signatureforkam42705lorpj5.jpg

i mean wth no1 cares about that weak noob that was scared of the great almighty lord ZAROS!

I sent in a query regarding the rarity of a chain drop off a dustdevil and the response partially explained how drops are chosen. Whenever a monster is killed, a random decimal is generated. Different decimals correspond to different drops. That's as far as the explanation went. Pretty interesting response, but they never did answer my original question. :evil:

There could be alot of ways rare drops works... this "wheel" thing or not. Could be just as random as pulling the lever on a slot machine. No one will ever know... Well unless someone from jagex says so. But i can bet anything that are little things within the game that determines rare drops , OTHER than Ring Of wealth.

:lol: :lol: the slots on slot machines are wheels, but a computer determines what they will end up on before you even spin. i'm pretty sure that's how it works with monsters too, the drop is determined as the monster spawns. the only way to confirm it is to ask jagex though. too bad you can't post your messages, as anyone could make up an answer....

rare%20ghoul2.gif

rare%20ghoul2.gif

There could be alot of ways rare drops works... this "wheel" thing or not. Could be just as random as pulling the lever on a slot machine. No one will ever know... Well unless someone from jagex says so. But i can bet anything that are little things within the game that determines rare drops , OTHER than Ring Of wealth.

:lol: :lol: the slots on slot machines are wheels, but a computer determines what they will end up on before you even spin. i'm pretty sure that's how it works with monsters too, the drop is determined as the monster spawns. the only way to confirm it is to ask jagex though. too bad you can't post your messages, as anyone could make up an answer....

I would have thought the drop was decided on the death of the monster, doing it on spawning would just be a waste of memory.

there are no stupid questions

just way too many inquisitive idiots

balance is scary to people who like things easy for them

Utopianflame.png

The thing about it being 'random' is that nothing a computer does is random... it is all set by the programer beforehand, which means its only random the first time it is used, after that it is a repeated pattern...

Yes I'm a Geek, How'd you guess? :D

Random number generation routines are seeded - usually using the current time and date down to the millisecond. So although a programmer knows the routine used to generate the numbers that follow, there is no way that they could predict what those numbers would be unless they were sure of the precise date and time that the function would be invoked.

Other than that, the roulette wheel is probably the best analogy. Each thing that the monster can drop occupies a certain slice of an array of spaces that could be say 100,000 spaces long. So an uncut emerald might occupy from slice 85 to slice 99, 2 nature runes might occupy from slice 100 to 150, and a dragon left half occupy slice 2. So every time that monster dies, a random number between 0 and 99,999 is generated. That number is matched up on the array with whatever item matches that subscript. Like rolling a 100,000 sided die. If you roll a 120 you get two nature runes, roll a 130 you get two nature runes, roll a 105 and you get two nature runes. Roll an 86 or a 93 and you get an uncut emerald. Roll a 2 and you get the left half shield.

So using the above examples you would have a 50 in 100,000 chance of getting 2 nature runes, a 14 in 100,000 chance of getting an uncut emerald and a 1 in 100,000 chance of getting a left half on any given kill of that monster.

siganizq4.gif

I would have thought the drop was decided on the death of the monster, doing it on spawning would just be a waste of memory.

oh sorry, i was just comparing to a slot machine but didn't state the difference. yes, it is decided on the death of the monster, if you think about the RoW you would figure it out. it affects that person's chances of a rare drop, so it can't decide the drop beforehand. but a slot machine decides what the slots will land on before the lever is pulled, that's the only difference between the two really.

rare%20ghoul2.gif

rare%20ghoul2.gif