Our Drop System?

highlanders

I read a few theories about it, but how actually works our drop system?

By example, someone said that it may work like that of other games: some people are deemed lucky others unlucky and this affects their drop rates throughout the game.

Another theory was that there is a maximum of rare drops per server/per monster/per x time. Example: 2 dragonlegs per one hour from steel dragons per each server. And if someone of your server has already gotten the dragonlegs of your hour, you're wasting your time.

Are any of you expert or know a little about our drop system? With some observation, we may we able to find some clues. Because obviously our system is random, but there's more to it than simply the word "random". This is important, if we could guess how our drop system works, we could heighten our chances of rares drops among other things.

2480+ total

I KNOW for a fact that your drop rate changes once you log out.

I can be at steel dragons for 6 hours straight.... get the same stuff.. then log out n in and get totally different drops.

And to be honest... I really think jagex made it so if you have black marks against your account, that effects ur drop rate. might not be true, but i believe it is.

Edit: Also, How many people are on each server Do determine rare drops... But now a days theres 1,000+ on every server.. so it wouldnt even effect it at all to be on one server or another.

Howdydee2003:

99 Attack - 99 Strength - 99 Hits - 99 Magic - 99 Smithing

First To get 99 Smithing With GoldSmithing Guants

Zx7r Ninja (Currently Training) Updated 2/14/09: Ags Achieved on 2/15/09

75/75 Attack 89/99 Strength 50/50 Def 78/85 Hits

***Owned a Bandos Godsword since 59 Combat***

What I've heard is that it's like two wheels...and the first wheel has the common drops, and some places where you can go to the second wheel. And then the second wheel has the rare drops, along with a bunch of spaces where you get nothing but bones. And then the ROW gets rid of some of the blank spaces on the second wheel. Dunno if that's true or not though.

cwscore2.jpg

there have been several different posts about this, but I think what was finally found to be true (confirmed by j mod) is that the drop system is like a wheel. and when you killa monster, it's like a roulette sort of thing with the spinner landing on whatever drop you get. The RoW just makes drops that are worth more have a bigger "slot" on the wheel, therefore increasing your chances to get those dragon legs :wink:

What I've heard is that it's like two wheels...and the first wheel has the common drops, and some places where you can go to the second wheel. And then the second wheel has the rare drops, along with a bunch of spaces where you get nothing but bones. And then the ROW gets rid of some of the blank spaces on the second wheel. Dunno if that's true or not though.

yep i believe in that theory most.

tifsdac6mc.gif

The most likely reason for that is that the random number generator would be reseeded when you log in.

there are no stupid questions

just way too many inquisitive idiots

balance is scary to people who like things easy for them

Utopianflame.png

There could be alot of ways rare drops works... this "wheel" thing or not. Could be just as random as pulling the lever on a slot machine. No one will ever know... Well unless someone from jagex says so. But i can bet anything that are little things within the game that determines rare drops , OTHER than Ring Of wealth.

Howdydee2003:

yep i believe in that theory most.

+1. Thats how i was thinking it works.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

There could be alot of ways rare drops works... this "wheel" thing or not. Could be just as random as pulling the lever on a slot machine. No one will ever know... Well unless someone from jagex says so. But i can bet anything that are little things within the game that determines rare drops , OTHER than Ring Of wealth.

I believe what I said was what a Jagex mod said. That was some time ago though, so I could be mistaken.

cwscore2.jpg

Your most likely right, i just wont believe it till i see a screenie or something proving it :P

Howdydee2003:

I believe some drops are based how long you havn't logged out and stayed in the monster dungeon

Well, for me that would mean the system gives better drops the sooner you log in.

My experience at steels, i could camp there all day with no drops, but if i go with 500 runes and just logged in, i'd end up geting a drop.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

From my work on Tip.It's Bestiary, I certainly notice this pattern among monsters. For example, in case none of you noticed, the Level 166 monsters from the new update seem to have exactly the same drops as each other.

By example, someone said that it may work like that of other games: some people are deemed lucky others unlucky and this affects their drop rates throughout the game.

Another theory was that there is a maximum of rare drops per server/per monster/per x time. Example: 2 dragonlegs per one hour from steel dragons per each server. And if someone of your server has already gotten the dragonlegs of your hour, you're wasting your time.

Are any of you expert or know a little about our drop system? With some observation, we may we able to find some clues. Because obviously our system is random, but there's more to it than simply the word "random". This is important, if we could guess how our drop system works, we could heighten our chances of rares drops among other things.

The thing about it being 'random' is that nothing a computer does is random... it is all set by the programer beforehand, which means its only random the first time it is used, after that it is a repeated pattern...

Yes I'm a Geek, How'd you guess? :D

Pasty.png

a mod posted on it once I remember.,

it was something like there are 2 wheels, the first wheel has the common drops and certain spots switch it over to the other wheel. The 2nd wheel has rare drops like dragon items. the wheel is spun and whatever it lands on is what you get. and there is a small chance you'll hit the rare drop wheel which will take you to the 2nd wheel that has the dragon items. The size of this spot chances slightly if you have a ring of wealth on. this doesn't hold true for drops from the boss monsters (metal dragons, kbd, kalphite queen, etc) because there rare drops are a bit more common such as d legs and skirts are not all that rare from metal's as they would be if they were dropped from a standard monster.

The thing about it being 'random' is that nothing a computer does is random... it is all set by the programer beforehand, which means its only random the first time it is used, after that it is a repeated pattern...

Yes I'm a Geek, How'd you guess? :D

Assuming the system is "random" you expect that each of the drops have probabilities (possibly expressed as a subsection of the range of the PRNG) and that a pseudo random number generator which is seeded when you log on. This then generates a number, the sub-range which this number falls into gives that drop, then the number generated is used as the next seed.

The randomness of this method is thus determined by the PRNG and the nature of the seeding process.

Utopianflame.png

The drop rate system is split into wheel of fortune style which means when a monster dies, a wheel is spun landing on several common drops, nothing and a rare slot. When it lands on the rare slot, another wheel spins which determines the kind of rare item you recieve: "gem" category (all the regular gems, half keys, half the dragon square shield and the dragon spear; any monster that drops a gem can drop any of these), equipment and others.

Those not in the rare wheel are:

Currency,

Runes,

Clue Scrolls,

Bones,

Hides,

Ammunition,

Challenge Scrolls,

The "junk" equipment,

And possibly others.

The ring of wealth does not affect any of the above item drops; Only what you might gain from the rare wheel (i.e. More frequent diamonds from the gems, higher chances to get the dragon parts) is.

That is mostly common knowledge for most people.

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

it's weighted numbers(comparable to the wheel theory)...

you roll a 60 sided die(or however many different drops there are) and some are weighted to having better odds of showing up then others. If anyone owns a TI-83+ calculator, and you goto apps, probability, dice...mess with the options on how many sides, mess with the options on the weight of each number, you'll notice you get a common object(higher weighted) then a rare object(lower weighted)

edit: I just did an example on my calculator. What I did was i had a 20 die and I rolled it 50 times. i gave every number a different weight(1 had 100, 2 had 95, 3 had 90...ect all the way down to 5 with 20)...

here is a list of 50, and every time 20 came up, we'll call it the ultimate rare drop(dragon shield, visage..ect)...

the results:

in 50 rolls, 20 did not show up once, according to the probability, it should show up 4x in 100 rolls. 11-19 showed up only 11 times with most of them being in the lower teens. 6 had the most with 8, with all the numbers from 1-10 ranging from 3-8, with an average of 5

as you can see, even tho 1 is the most common theoretically, it wasn't the most common experimentally. There was a chance I could have got 20 on the first roll, although rare, that's why unless jagex tells us the droprate/probability of it occuring, there is no way to know the actual percentage.

w4M8t.png

The drop rate system is split into wheel of fortune style which means when a monster dies, a wheel is spun landing on several common drops, nothing and a rare slot. When it lands on the rare slot, another wheel spins which determines the kind of rare item you recieve: "gem" category (all the regular gems, half keys, half the dragon square shield and the dragon spear; any monster that drops a gem can drop any of these), equipment and others.

Currency,

Runes,

Clue Scrolls,

Bones,

Hides,

Ammunition,

Challenge Scrolls,

The "junk" equipment,

And possibly others.

The ring of wealth does not affect any of the above item drops; Only what you might gain from the rare wheel (i.e. More frequent diamonds from the gems, higher chances to get the dragon parts) is.

You Talk like its common Fact. i yet to see proof of anything saying there is such a wheel lol.

Howdydee2003:

I don't think they have a set amount of drops per server per hour or anything to that effect, because they'd know exactly how much inflation is occurring as far as monster drops goes, and with all things that they have added for deflation, that doesn't seem logical.

jfacsig01ti4.jpg

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

I can be at steel dragons for 6 hours straight.... get the same stuff.. then log out n in and get totally different drops.

And to be honest... I really think jagex made it so if you have black marks against your account, that effects ur drop rate. might not be true, but i believe it is.

Edit: Also, How many people are on each server Do determine rare drops... But now a days theres 1,000+ on every server.. so it wouldnt even effect it at all to be on one server or another.

yeah i got 1 blackmark once 2 years ago and best non-clue drop out of 3 years and 92 cb levels was a r scim probably. And also I don't think its the 2 d legs per hour theory because I was once at iron drags for almost 3 hours alone no good drop back before I was unfairly banned

mini193.png

Doing a little bit of everything

Currency,

Runes,

Clue Scrolls,

Bones,

Hides,

Ammunition,

Challenge Scrolls,

The "junk" equipment,

And possibly others.

You Talk like its common Fact. i yet to see proof of anything saying there is such a wheel lol.

The fact that any monster dropping gems also drops cosmic talismans, half keys, dragon spear and dragon left half does however give credence to the theory of successive rolls.

Also remember that the wheel is only a graphical representation of a random drop with fixed probabilities.

Utopianflame.png