RuneScape Changed You?

Suox

RuneScape is filled of all sorts of different types of people, different genders, races and religions make up our community as you all know, but do you think RuneScape has changed us at all? :o

As most of you know, over your life span in RuneScape and real life, you'll encounter different things, some will be funny or jolly, others will be rather depressing or sad, but we seem to overcome them in some way or another.

Now, I've been playing this game for a number of years now, and I think I've changed, it wasn't a very dramatic change, but slight. I remember I used to speak in what's known as text speak, but as I realised I found out that it's not acceptable on the forums and that some people find it hard to understand, so in a way I changed to fit into my surroundings.

So there is an example which could apply to the game, here is one which could apply in real life:

Lest say you've just got a new job at this company you've been trying to get a job at for ages, but your personality isn't right for the job, maybe you'd try to change who you are to make yourself fit in more with your surroundings and to be able to get along with your fellow members of staff.

There is another factor to this thread, some people like to level up the skills they enjoy, I remember when my mum was playing this game, she liked to level up cooking as it was one of her favourite things to do outside of game (she was quite a good cook if you ask me :P). I also enjoy climbing trees and absailing down cliffs, so I wonder why I like agility and woodcutting so much!

Now onto the part which will really get your creative writing juices flowing, some people believe they must change in order to fit in, whether it be here in game/forums or outside of the game in a place known as "RL". I know there are a number of people here on the forums who think they should change to "fit in" here, but I don't think I'll name them in a hurry.

So please post your thoughts!

Suox.gif

99 Woodcutting goal: Complete! :D

What skill you do realy reflect who you are.

I do smithing ALOT*points at siggy* Before I started playing runescape i worked for a metal works shop down in STL at $18 an hour it was a good job then i decided to quit and not drive those 67 miles to work each morning. But yet i still do metal work in my garage every once in awhile it's fun with all the bits and pieces and i got to *take* home one of the welders.

Hehe nice thread i hope you have a nice night or day

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I don't think what skills you do reflect what kind of person you are.

My first major training spree was mining

Then Agility

Then Fish & Cook

Mining - reflects me in no way as i hate getting messy and doing dirty work

Agility - reflects me only in that I have near perfect balance, but I had no idea of this at the time

Fishing - doesn't reflect me as I'd nvr go fishing if you paid me. I'm vegetarian, plus fishing is boring

Cooking - reflects me in that I love to cook,however i trained this as a by product of fishing, so no link there

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Change to fit in? NO

Addapt to fit in? Most certainly.

It's the role of every long standing player to be acesppted however you should never chane who you are as a person, just change to meet the environment.

I personaly like you have addpeted my writting style (although I am still an awfull speller), I also feel I have become a better person..... the me 3 years ago when I started would have never been offered a mod position, I feel I have become a more rounded balanced individual.

I feel that with my exposiuse to so many people I have also become a better judge of charicter and more sociable in real life.

Yes I play the game too much...... but because of it I also do more in real life, it has improved who I am.

sig2webzx7.jpg

I don't think what skills you do reflect what kind of person you are.

I agree, the first skill I trained was Mining which has nothing to do with my life at all.

mstrgmr11.png

Joined RS2: Late May/Early June 2006

100 Combat achieved on June 30, 2007 All skills 60+ achieved on August 22, 2007

Quest Cape achieved on September 8, 2007, at 104 Combat

Check out my blog to 85 Slayer!

Of course you change over a period of time. But is the change a result of runescape playing? Do you change to fit into Rs or to reflect on your RL? Or is it just a coincidence that you change over years whilst playing RS.

For me, i'd say RL makes you change more than RS, and its the ageing process that affects us most of all.

Btw, its naive to suggest that you don't associate the game to RL, my favourite skill is herblore, which is similar to chemistry, a topic i enjoy irl.

But hey, who knows :P

Right the thread seems to be in two parts.

I don't think people train certain Rs skills depending on their irl tastes. Because you are sitting in front of a computer, and it's so much different than doing the real thing. By example, I'm determined in life, when I choose to do something, I keep going until I get it and I never give up. In Rs though, it's so boring, I give up everything, it's such a waste of time too.

It's true people change to fit certain places. Which is annoying. Good example is tip.it, it's filled with athiest narrow minded intellectuals (fake or real, idk) who only choose "safe" opinions. As opposed to me, I am very open minded, creative, and most of my opinions are original. Of course, for this, I get flammed by the majority, because to keep their fake group unity they need a common "enemy". It's very childish all this.

2480+ total

My favorite skills are-

Construction- since I like to work with wood.

Woodcutting- I had to do this for construction, so no link.

Cooking- I'm good at it, and I like it.

Fishing- I used this for cooking. The weird thing is, I hate to fish, and I am allergic to fish. I like to keep fish, so I guess that is why I like fishing.

From reflecting on my growth during the many years I've played RuneScape, I agree that I've changed--but I've changed for the better.

You could easily argue that this has to do partly with maturity levels, which I'm sure plays a large factor in the changes I see within myself. However, at the same time, I've been with this game throughout all those years, and it's influenced my morals, attitude, and overall outlook on life greatly.

For one thing, I'm much more tolerant of other people. I'm not what you would call patient, but since playing RuneScape, I've noticed myself reaching out to others much more and offering them assistance, even if it takes them 3 hours to understand how to use a shield easel. This game has taught me many social lessons, and how to respond to different situations appropriately without causing harm to anyone. While I can't recall a specific example at the moment (hey, it's been a long day! :P), I assure you that I deal with pressure much better, and I can know handle myself during times of conflict, sadness, and confusion.

At the same time, my attitude has grown increasingly more positive. I've always liked to think of myself as optimistic, but this game has simply improved that mindset even further. No matter how impossible something might seem--a skill, killing a new boss monster, or saving up for that lovely set of Guthans--I tackle it with the best I've got, and continue to do so until I reach my goal(s). Plus, before beginning to play RuneScape, my online speaking skills were far below par. I'd say things like: how r u doin dude? havin' a good day, b/c im bored. Over time, I began to realize that this form of communication wasn't about to get me anywhere, and I was layered with flaming comments, one after another. I quickly picked up on the better, less brutal, use of the English language. Ever since then, I've used grammar and proper punctuation--to the best of my ability. ;)

RuneScape has also given me hope when concerning the community. while some might argue that the RS community is actually deteriorating (which in some measures I couldn't agree more), I also know that a change is possible. I've seen time and time again players improve themselves and then attempt to share their enlightenment with others. I've applied this to real life in the sense that I give others more chances to find themselves, and to prove to me that they can be a different, better person. While I'm not trying to change someone's "personality makeup", I know that there's good in everyone, and that's what I try to focus on when I speak to others. Without RuneScape, I doubt I'd be this tolerate.

So as you can see, RuneScape *has* changed me, but I like to think it was for the better. :)

To me, online is kinda more important to RL.

Of course, I use AIM, my friends use AIM. We IM a lot, and this is since I don't live near them. This is one of the reasons I Instant message, and go on the PC.

Sometimes, nobody's on AIM. I go on RuneScape. I started out playing RuneScape from getting bored playing the game Club Penguin. After that got un-popular at my school, most kids stopped playing MMOs. I tried playing RS, my buddy was helping me.

Everyone at my school hates RS, except for maybe 5 or 6 kids.

My friends know how much I'm on RS. They know I'm obsessed with the Miniclip forums.

In conclusion, I feel online adds to me. I have more friends online that are real friends than RL.

I am sad to say this, but I think I am a RS freak.

Jmclark911.png

Jmclark911.png

woah i never noticed that i love to hunt irl and i have 83 hunting :shock: and irl i like to do alot of ''physical acitvities'' and thats why i dont rly like all that much skills exept the cb ones!! :shock:

Let your yellow mellow.