combat Reformation (big post) --- discussion

jondea0

Combat Reformation

well i was talking to some of my friends and they said that the thing that makes Runescape not as good as other rpgs is the combat.

note- do not say any of these ideas are copying X game because many of them are fundamental to rpgs

there are a few areas that i thought of improving on:

-more hp

-more PvP arenas

-duel everywhere (debatable)

-High end armour

-melee and range spells

-healing

-a few small adujstments

-clan support

More HP

now i think for every level up you get on hp you should get 10 hit points

this would also mean the amount you would hit would be timesed by ten (not just timesed by 10 but like 23 and 27 instead of hitting 2)

this would allow more variety (more interesting) and also it would make it easier for jagex to implement weapons and armour giving hp bonuses like when you weild a weapon you get an extra 10 hp

Pros

-more variety of hits

-can introduce more weapons without people being about to 1 hit another person (more versatile weapons too)

cons

-could be hard to implement on showing what you hit

statspic2pd6.png

Go check it in the Bugs & Suggestions forum. :)

I like this idea. Having your HP displayed at the bottom would enable Jagex to modify the HP formula so that you get more than one HP per HP level, which is desperately needed in order to keep up with the increasingly high max damage.

PvP

if you are familiar with shooting games it will help in understanding me

Domination

5 bases, you capture each one by standing near it, then it becomes your teams. every 10 seconds your team gets points for holding that base. First to a set number of points wins. to capture a base from the other team you have to kill all oponents nearby and wait 5 seconds and it becomes yours

Simple really.

The Map would look like this but with hills and building decorationg it

* = bases and [] is spawns

[]

[]

Team Deathmatch

simple, two teams fight and take each other out, kinda like fight pits but with teams

if you can think of anything else please don't refrain from posting them

Duel everywhere

well this is kinda the discussion bit, im not pushing this idea just wondering your views on it

The dueling worldwide would be ok, but with some modifications. You can't stake in these duels, and the loser respawns right at that spot where he died, with no sending to the respawn point for him. To be fair, your stats will be regenerated when you initiate a duel, but they will lower to what they were when the fight started afterwards.

Now the big one: High end Armour

Melee

well when you get past 70 in all combat stats theres no better armour really so we need high end armour.

i was thinking 3 different classes (of armour) in melee:

bezerk (str bonuses)

assasin (attack bonused)

paladin (good armour and prayer)

and one each in range and mage (perhaps two if you can think of them)

i even thought of a storyline:

some higher power has declared war on gielenor(sp), in a very complicated situation the Gods have become rather powerless and the higher power have chalenged the inhabitants of our plane to a duel, a 5 vs 5. 5 brave fighters are called up but need gear. its all down to you to get them it.

thats the basic plan and perhap for the berzerker (just an example)you have to get the horns of the KBD and hunt some powerful beast for the hide.

and so on and so forth, with some very hard and long quest. for each class

then when you have made the armour (and weapons) for them you get the opertunity to make it for yourself, following the same steps. perhaps you might have to get it blessed by several people using points from various minigames so that the armour cant just be bought for money.

then armour might have to be recharged after a certain amount of hits or whatever. perhaps theres a magical field around the armour that disapears in time and when it goes the armour is rather rubbish and to get it recharged it costs quite a bit.

Melee and Range Moves

well the combat is pretty dull atm wih just point and click and a bit of prayer and spec here and there. well all that could change, to make combat the hectic and skillful ordeal it should be, introduce moves:

combat_acc.PNG

(this is an example move interface and is very rough. just ignore the use of mage spells be imaginative :D )

first of all you have your power or energy (the 710/710 thing) which you use up in using your moves. if you select agressive you get a move interface based on strengh and agressive things, and if you select defensive, defensive things etc

the amount of power you have is your level in that skill times 10 and as you go up levels it regens faster and also some armour would increase regeneration (also could increase maximum cap too).

some ideas for the moves:

increase of specific skill

ie: when in the agressive choice it would be increase str by 10% and decrease str and attack by 5%

Stun

perhaps some kind of stun or knockback effect similar to the d spear

Injure

some kind of attack where it hits say 3 then 2 every second after that

Block(defensive only)

50% chance somebody cant get past (in wildy or fight situation only)

think up of more and post them :D

Range Moves

perhaps we could have a similar interface but no power bar. maybe you could put tips on your arrows like explosive, jagged or poison. you would make these and put them in a bag (would go in invent) like for the poison one there would be a poison cloth.

ideas for that

Flaming arrow

could be made in the underground pass place. perhaps it could hit damage over time or just be more powerful versus ice

Ice Arrows

erm not sure about this one, it would slow people down or perhaps drain run energy

Jagged Arrows

woudl make the target bleed for damage over time

poisen arrows

just use a cloth on weapon poison(or some kind of poison pool), cloth could be used 15 times. hits like normal poison does now

explosive

made with nitroglicetine but instead of in a vial,it would be in some kind of container (lol) hits like chinchompas but not very powerful

all the tips would be easy to get so not to make them too rubbish

healing

we have healing but its pretty lame tbh. I roughly thought up of something to make it good.

a new skill: healing

you would have a thing similar to melee and range moves (further up the page) i was thinking along the line of:

-healing spells (they could take maybe 3 second to cast and would heal like every second so not instant so if a spell healed 21 and took 3 seconds it would heal 7 every second)

-buffs, blessing, or whatever you call them, i think they should be able to bless people seeing as we can curse people aready

spirit drain (drains spirit from opponent and gives to caster, spirit is the stuff needed to cast like energy or power in range and melee spells)

-sacrifice (drains health from caster to target, pretty basic, doesn't use much spirit)

-holy barrier (perhaps 30% defence bonus but the caster can only heal and buff through it)

-holy damage (does a small amount of damage on target, not much or it would be overpowered)

certain clothes would boost these effects and amount of max spirit

A few small adujstments:

just a few things that need a bit of tweaking (i cant think of any atm but ill add later or if anyone suggests something)

Clan Support

clan support is here but a bit more would be nice, i have already made a topic about it:

here

!this suggestion is under construction! if you dont liek any of my ideas, dont flame. Make a better one!

Remeber: these are only basic outlines of ideas, they would need tweaking for balance if they were to be introduced into the game

There's potential out the wazoo here, but it's SORELY mis-used.

The pvp ideas are good base foundations, but you'll need a great deal more elaboration on them to be even considered.

The dueling worldwide would be ok, but with some modifications. You can't stake in these duels, and the loser respawns right at that spot where he died, with no sending to the respawn point for him. To be fair, your stats will be regenerated when you initiate a duel, but they will lower to what they were when the fight started afterwards.

The ideas and concept quest for the higher end equipment is pretty good, but I think that all the running around needed to even use them will pretty much kill it.

Seriously, do you even know what magic is??? My textbook definition (in dictionary speak) is this.

-------------Magic: the use or manipulation of forces in naturally occurring or artificial objects or living things to affect something, such as repairing the target, causing damage, or modifying its abilities, most commonly with the use of incantations, and less commonly with rituals and the mixture of different items of mystical properties

In runescape terms, you need runes to cast spells (magic, look 1 paragraph up). Pretty much anything using runes would be called magic in this game. What you are really suggesting is skills, like a spinning slam with crushing weapons or a wide spread shot with the bow (random things I thought up). In order for things like this to enter this particular game, you'll need to introduce at least SOME new npcs to teach the skills, and a massive headache for programming (this would need multiple levels in order to use some skills, like agility, attack, strength, thieving, and probably others), graphics (the animations), and sound crews. Unless if they put in at least a good year and a half, the skills will be pretty bare-bones and/or lackluster.

I don't have much problem with healing, but it's more like a new spellbook rather than a new skill.

I agree that they need to help clans out, since the majority of people in runescape belong to at least one group (doesn't matter if it's only 3 people or 300), and something oriented for them would get a massive amount of positive feedback, and maybe some new members if done right. I personally like your idea, and think it could make things a whole lot easier. If you would add something where people in the clan would show up on your minimap a different color than other people (blue, for instance), that would be fantastic.

That's pretty much all I have to say. Overall, your ideas need some work, but have a decent foundation. 7/10 for effort.

You never know which rabbit hole you jump into will lead to Wonderland. - Ember3579

Aku Soku Zan. - Shinsengumi

You wanna mess with me or my friends? Pick your poison.

If you have any complaints about me, please refer to this link. Your problems are important to me.

Don't talk smack if you're not willing to say it to the person's face. On the same line, if you're not willing to back up your opinions no matter what, your opinion may as well be nonexistent.

The pvp ideas are good base foundations, but you'll need a great deal more elaboration on them to be even considered.

The ideas and concept quest for the higher end equipment is pretty good, but I think that all the running around needed to even use them will pretty much kill it.

Seriously, do you even know what magic is??? My textbook definition (in dictionary speak) is this.

-------------Magic: the use or manipulation of forces in naturally occurring or artificial objects or living things to affect something, such as repairing the target, causing damage, or modifying its abilities, most commonly with the use of incantations, and less commonly with rituals and the mixture of different items of mystical properties

In runescape terms, you need runes to cast spells (magic, look 1 paragraph up). Pretty much anything using runes would be called magic in this game. What you are really suggesting is skills, like a spinning slam with crushing weapons or a wide spread shot with the bow (random things I thought up). In order for things like this to enter this particular game, you'll need to introduce at least SOME new npcs to teach the skills, and a massive headache for programming (this would need multiple levels in order to use some skills, like agility, attack, strength, thieving, and probably others), graphics (the animations), and sound crews. Unless if they put in at least a good year and a half, the skills will be pretty bare-bones and/or lackluster.

I don't have much problem with healing, but it's more like a new spellbook rather than a new skill.

I agree that they need to help clans out, since the majority of people in runescape belong to at least one group (doesn't matter if it's only 3 people or 300), and something oriented for them would get a massive amount of positive feedback, and maybe some new members if done right. I personally like your idea, and think it could make things a whole lot easier. If you would add something where people in the clan would show up on your minimap a different color than other people (blue, for instance), that would be fantastic.

That's pretty much all I have to say. Overall, your ideas need some work, but have a decent foundation. 7/10 for effort.

ty for your constructive critisism

abotu the melee spells, too be honest im using a rather general term "spells" to mean abilities or skills like you say, so if the wording is complicated then i will change it. but i suppose since when did runescape stick by dictionary anyway.

i really need to put alot more work into the healing part and is unfinished at the moment as i toss around ideas.

when you say more work needs to be done on it, well yes i know but i also wanted this topic to be a disscusion too.

In order for things like this to enter this particular game, you'll need to introduce at least SOME new npcs to teach the skills, and a massive headache for programming (this would need multiple levels in order to use some skills, like agility, attack, strength, thieving, and probably others), graphics (the animations), and sound crews. Unless if they put in at least a good year and a half, the skills will be pretty bare-bones and/or lackluster.

i think you have kinda missed the point, my idea would be quite difficult to impliment non-theless but it would be a huge leap forward in gameplay

also i dotn see why you wouldnt be able to stake in the duels?

ty for you help

If you can't stake in the world-wide duels, then that means the Duel Arena isn't completely useless. O:) (bows in front of the masses of clapping duelers with tons of duel rings for that purpose) :-w

I was just pointing out the reasons it would take so long, and some modifications. I think these would make things interesting as well. The only problem would be if they outstrip the current specs for weapons. Either way, this would definitely make the whole combat a ton less about "point, click, wait 30 seconds, eat occasionally" like it is now. Maybe have monsters have *sensible* skills of their own, like a lesser being able to trip their target with that long tail of theirs (target's agility and armor affects the effectiveness). I'll leave Jagex to thinking of interesting skills for others. There's DEFINITELY some room for intriguing abilities for the large majority of monsters.

You never know which rabbit hole you jump into will lead to Wonderland. - Ember3579

Aku Soku Zan. - Shinsengumi

You wanna mess with me or my friends? Pick your poison.

If you have any complaints about me, please refer to this link. Your problems are important to me.

Don't talk smack if you're not willing to say it to the person's face. On the same line, if you're not willing to back up your opinions no matter what, your opinion may as well be nonexistent.

If you can't stake in the world-wide duels, then that means the Duel Arena isn't completely useless. O:) (bows in front of the masses of clapping duelers with tons of duel rings for that purpose) :-w

I was just pointing out the reasons it would take so long, and some modifications. I think these would make things interesting as well. The only problem would be if they outstrip the current specs for weapons. Either way, this would definitely make the whole combat a ton less about "point, click, wait 30 seconds, eat occasionally" like it is now. Maybe have monsters have *sensible* skills of their own, like a lesser being able to trip their target with that long tail of theirs (target's agility and armor affects the effectiveness). I'll leave Jagex to thinking of interesting skills for others. There's DEFINITELY some room for intriguing abilities for the large majority of monsters.

yes you have a point, i suppose the worldwide duel is to stop them noobs saying "0mg0rz 1 w0uld 0wn yu nub". tbh i dont think telling jagex exactly is really right, i think it is a better idea to plant seeds and let the pros handle the nurturing.

cos i mean whats the odds of your idea being followed through to the very last word.

• 2 months later...

More HP

now i think for every level up you gte on hp you should get 10 hit points

this would also mean the amount you would hit would be timesed by ten

If you get 10 times more hitpoints, and you hit 10 times more-than whats the point?

More HP

now i think for every level up you gte on hp you should get 10 hit points

this would also mean the amount you would hit would be timesed by ten

If you get 10 times more hitpoints, and you hit 10 times more-than whats the point?

you could just make the hits more accurate, like instead of hitting 24 you would hit 249 or 243. just to add more variety to hits really

rofl!!!!!!! what a use of words

My Goal Signature

• 2 weeks later...

Hey.

I will give suggestions to everything you posted.

HP:

I feel that 99 hitpoints should be enough.

Like you said if you want to multiply the hitpoints, you will want to multiply the damage too.

So it will end up the same just that the numbers are bigger.

PvP:

Wilderness should be big enough so I don't think theres a need for another 1.

Dual:

If I'm not wrong P2P can dual anywhere.

So unless you mean all players can dual.

I'll support it if everyone can dual but only 2 person at a time.

Equipment:

This might be only for members, so I don't have to say much.

Jagex will do it as time goes by.

Skill:

I don't think theres a need for this because if there is more skills for melee players then range and magic players will lose out.

Unless theres new skills for the 3 types if not it will be pointless, ending up not fair for the type which have no skill.

Healing:

I don't think theres a real need for this.

By the way theres a healing skill on prayer, just that its near to useless.

Why not you just think of more skills on prayer or try to improve it?

FTP player.

Goal:

85/90 smithing. 12,000,000/100,000,000 coins.

Total hacked and scammed losses:

1 billion coins +/- (Not in today's currency).

Hey.

HP:

Like you said if you want to multiply the hitpoints, you will want to multiply the damage too.

PvP:

Dual:

Equipment:

Skill:

I don't think theres a need for this because if there is more skills for melee players then range and magic players will lose out.

Unless theres new skills for the 3 types if not it will be pointless, ending up not fair for the type which have no skill.

Healing:

i think you have missed the point of pretty much all my points:

-hp the reason i think about more hp it would give way to more expansion to variety of hits and also help to introduce gear that increases maxium cap more easily

-PvP just fighting a player is fun but adding more interesting things like c wars

-Duel well no you cant duel anywere i put this here for people to discuss rather than just a straightforward this is a good suggestion kind of thing

-Equipment i like the idea of hp on gear and more attack bonuses

-Skill i dont know how to explain this but you have kind of missed the point of it

-Healing yeah you have a point but its very lame if you ave ever used it, i mean the point of healing other players

hope thats helped, thanks for joining in with the discussion

Hey.

HP:

PvP:

Dual:

Equipment:

Skill:

Healing:

i think you have missed the point of pretty much all my points:

-hp the reason i think about more hp it would give way to more expansion to variety of hits and also help to introduce gear that increases maxium cap more easily

-PvP just fighting a player is fun but adding more interesting things like c wars

-Duel well no you cant duel anywere i put this here for people to discuss rather than just a straightforward this is a good suggestion kind of thing

-Equipment i like the idea of hp on gear and more attack bonuses

-Skill i dont know how to explain this but you have kind of missed the point of it

-Healing yeah you have a point but its very lame if you ave ever used it, i mean the point of healing other players

hope thats helped, thanks for joining in with the discussion

After saying so much stuff you still don't get my point.

Let me tell you in another way.

You want more HP and damage at the same time.

I'll give you a chart for that.

Ratio for hitpoints and damge.

10 HP : 10 damage.

25 HP : 25 damage.

50 HP : 50 damage.

100 HP : 100 damage.

So whats the point?

You want more HP and more damage?

Its still back to square 1, yes?

If not people will lose out if they got no bounes on HP or damage.

They will be taken out just like a noob in the wilderness.

Just think about it, this will be like PTP.

Its like a PTP player fighting with a FTP player.

So tell me who will win?

Dual everywhere is a good idea if theres non is PTP but I think theres already something like 1 there.

For the healing part it will be under magic if its for healing others but how much do you want to heal and how much runes?

I got to go now.

Add somemore maybe later.

Anyway welcome.

FTP player.

Goal:

85/90 smithing. 12,000,000/100,000,000 coins.

Total hacked and scammed losses:

1 billion coins +/- (Not in today's currency).

• 1 month later...

I don't support the hp idea, now the movement one I do

HP: Would it make any difference? I mean, you get 10 hp per level instead of 1, u can hit 10s instead of 1, what's the difference? a 0?? or you could also hit 12-13 and that instead of 1, that's interesting but I think I'll stay with the current hp

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

• 6 months later...
I don't support the hp idea, now the movement one I do

HP: Would it make any difference? I mean, you get 10 hp per level instead of 1, u can hit 10s instead of 1, what's the difference? a 0?? or you could also hit 12-13 and that instead of 1, that's interesting but I think I'll stay with the current hp

yeah but what im trying to say is that if you have 10 times the hp you can implement spells better like damage over time maybe a 1 would be too much but a 5 (0.5) would be more fitting, also you would be able to see a clear difference in your hits each level.

Also it would be easier to implement the gear giving hp idea as you cant have a bit of gear better than another by 1 hp per level or by level 99 you would get a LOAD of hp.

and yes it would make things more interesting

Healing, huh?

A holy spellbook sounds, well...Saradominist (bleh).

Oh! I know! God spellbooks! You get a different spellbook depending on which god you choose.

Saradomin: Mainly defensive and support magick

Zamorak: Mainly offensive and DoT (Damage over Time) magick

Guthix: The middle ground between the above two.

I also support any sort of spellblade book (infusing swords with magic spells for extra damage! (or effect))

Need a new signature....perhaps...

no way you can allow healing with magic! get a few hundred runes, and you got unlimited healing, high end armours are waay too over powered, many of these things sound waay too much like WoW, and no, extra abilities arnt a MUST in rpgs. Explosive. . . . hmm, Nitroglicerine is rather hard to make back then we already got poisoned arrows, why suggest it? the bleeding is one of the few things I agree one, but make it as rare as crossbow bolt specials (it could be an enchanted bolt actually). Ice can freeze like ancients, I mean, melee = zgs = freezing, magic = ancient = freezing, range needs a freeser. dont want the melee and range moves, I dont find it dull. good pvp idea, and over-powered hp, I am okay with something like 1.5x hp, but x10 to hp and x10 to hitting hard is overdone, would make training to easy.

good pvp game though

no way you can allow healing with magic! get a few hundred runes, and you got unlimited healing, high end armours are waay too over powered, many of these things sound waay too much like WoW, and no, extra abilities arnt a MUST in rpgs. Explosive. . . . hmm, Nitroglicerine is rather hard to make back then we already got poisoned arrows, why suggest it? the bleeding is one of the few things I agree one, but make it as rare as crossbow bolt specials (it could be an enchanted bolt actually). Ice can freeze like ancients, I mean, melee = zgs = freezing, magic = ancient = freezing, range needs a freeser. dont want the melee and range moves, I dont find it dull. good pvp idea, and over-powered hp, I am okay with something like 1.5x hp, but x10 to hp and x10 to hitting hard is overdone, would make training to easy.

good pvp game though

obviously not selfhealing..

Headshotcatcher.png

i very much support the idea of more health. Just about everyone can one hit now, it's a game of luck tbh. Jagex really can't make a more powerful weapon than the godsword at the moment unless they realease whales that heal 40 each :mrgreen: (no one steal that idea ::' )

frznflames.png

frznflames.png

frznflames.png

• 1 year later...

wow, as it seems jagex liked my hp idea, maybe its time to bump my age old topic

lol, so its all your fault is it?

well well well...

;)

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"