Tip.It Times Presents: RuneScape: A game for the young?

Ard_Choille

Ive been playing officially since 01. But actively since 04

There are 2 solutions

1 - Get members, it reduces the headache

2 - Pick a good world. 79, 92, and 98 are very mature worlds by standard.

well, 79 was untill pits killed it.

sigsn9.jpg

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree the maturity has dropped a significant level, I simply don't deal with people (especially the immature ones). I have one, maybe two good friends in real life who play along with me, and we have a grand old time!

All I do is skill and make money, an honest players normal hobbies in game. I hardly talk, and yeah, I get the occasional "OMG, report the bot!!" I just throw an lol their way and get on with the skilling..

Can't say too much about the updates though =P

Hardly check them out at all..

I agree, im aslo a not-so-social girl, barely talk to other ppl, and so i have since i was a preteen. :shock: Yes, i played it since i was 11, but didnt bother anyone, never begged... and i havent changed at all. I just wished that there were more ppl like me lol

\'

About updates, the one that most ticked me off were the melee, magic and ranged tutors. Ffs, wasnt the tutoral enough?! :evil: I think that jagex should make the tutrial a little more harder/extensive to really teach to the newcomers how to fight. But, ayways, who can make them to read the whole explanation?(<---another sign of immaturity)

¨)

¸.´¸.*´¨)

(¸.´ (¸.Lilith1023

Lilith1023.png

Runescape has been in a downward spiral since RS2 was released. although no skills in runescape required skill. pking still did and it was the way in which u implemented your base stats that reaped your rewards. after RS2 came out runescape become incredibly dumbed down.

honestly, and please answer honestly what in runescape requires "skill" leveling skills? No. pking? No.

the answer to alot of games is that when players get to a high level there is high level content that require a portion of skill and teamwork to complete successfully. the only thing i can think of that requires a high level to complete successfully is DK. but again not much skill is involved

*i classify skill as playing without knowing wat is going to happen and making the best out of what does happen. any form of player of FPS's knows wat i mean. it hows anticipation, its reaction its how u deal with the crises.

Alot of people complain about the maturity level of runescape players. but what age did you mature guys start playing? i started when i was 14 and i was a little sh**. but as i grew up i matured and now consider the younger people a hinderence i cant bear. iv quit RS for over 4 months and played WoW again. the change is amazing. young kids play WoW but they know how to act because in WoW some form of teamwork is needed to get the best gear. in RS u can just buy it, meaning no teamwork is needed.

but what i have to ask you mature guys is. when you started playing u were noobs to. dont deny it because u were, every1 is. now when your a noob a few things can happen. you can shut up and level, you can beg for money or you stop playing. now because there was a massive influx of players into the game, that means there is a massive influx of noobs, all of a sudden instead of 10 noobs in a town center at a rate of 1:5 begging u have 200 noobs in a town center. instead of 2 noobs begging u have 40 noobs begging, thats a massive difference. the rate doesnt change but the amount of noobs does.

but, in a couple of months / years, when these noobs have quit / lvld up there will b a smaller amount of noobs and all of a sudden the miniclips scandel is forgotton.

BTW

my WoW character

name: Santic

lvl: 70

Realm: Dath'remar

cleared SSC working on hyjal / BT give me a tell if ur on my server =]

99wcsigpk9.jpg

Started new account: flipflop v2

Holding young RuneScapers responsible for the various malaises affecting the game-play of others does not provide us with real solutions we may use to help improve the game. It does, however, provide a convenient way to absolve ourselves of having to take action or responsibility for our personal responses to problems we may have experienced due to other players.

Before condemning misguided players we must ask ourselves: have we attempted yet to act as guides to how we ourselves would play the game?

Taking positive action by informing these players how to help themselves learn how to play, is more likely to address an individual player's issues. Informing them about the the many levels of help, or simply offering an understanding ear we can achieve things that no amount of ranting can fix. It's also more likely to induce in these newer players the same mutual respect for other players, rather them teaching them that the only way to respond it to get angry and continue the never ending cycle of blame.

And if not there is the Ignore list, and the ability to teleport away from annoying individuals.

As well though there are always improvements to game features to be made, and I advocate strongly that players should be able express them. The focus should be though, on features Jagex can fix.

Ranting about contentions which cannot be proven and I suspect are doubtful in their origins, that Jagex targets younger players, is less than helpful. While players may be entitled to this point of view, I have not seen any credible evidence that Jagex specifically targets a younger audience.

The game has continued to been one of lower-graphical resolution in comparison to it's more expensive & system-resource-hungry competitors. It has always portrayed it medieval subject with self-effacing humour and emphasised the quirky over the serious. Basically there's always been a sense of fun in the game and this has not changed from what I've read or seen in additions to the game. As for the level of difficulty, this too is a matter of opinion, and I've not see any conclusive evidence that there has been a 'targeted' reduction in the level of difficulty in the game. It's always been relatively accessible.

And protecting players and helping inexperienced players does not equal immaturity. If anything it equals ways to better save on unnecessary queries to Customer Support, and ways that experienced players can offer easy support by pointing out the help that's already available.

I contend that, contrary to the thesis of this article, the worst threats to RuneScape at the present time are players whom know the rules, but continue to break them by scamming, real world trading or cheating in various ways. This deliberate rule breaking to me seems a far greater and more malicious threat than new players who haven't yet oriented themselves in the game.

If anything 'real world trading' is a threat to all MMORPGs given the increasing amount of money to be made from that illegal activity and unregulated trade in real currency. There is serious concern currently being expressed by many governments and agencies that this trade is bringing real life criminal elements and threats into our game. Surely these are a far more serious problems than those that result from our not wanting to deal with immature players.

By not seeking to have a positive effect, or else reporting the rule breakers we do abdicate actions that would address the issues, while simultaneously slating the next generation as the problem.

Sorry, as I get older, the familiar refrain of holding the young responsible for our problems, or some other group, never addresses the root cause of issues. Sadly it's a popular refrain throughout history it seems, since it when proffered they seem like simple solutions: to type one group as the evil element that must be removed.

Such seemingly 'simple' solutions are rarely practical however and in reality do little or nothing to address the 'real' causes of our problems.

Regards, Fey.

feywarriorgreenlu9.gif

banneruh3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ya know, I say skrew dis guy! I mean I was a pretteen a year ago and this guy should burn! BURN! BURN! I probably still am by most people'z standards, but I am not immature, and neither are 9/8 of the people I know! Yes, it is an improper fraction that = 1& 1/8 and I may be in 6th grade but I am definitely not immature! This ignoramus is probably some techno-geek, stay at home, live with my mom @ 40 yrs. old, stuck-up, self-centered dude who thinks that kids are a bad thing! I went into 1st grade when I _ was 5 and I do remedial algebraic equations for fun. this guy, like 99.9% of the quitters of rs2, thinks that it's dumb. I do agree with him on very little of his points of the childishness of the game though. VERY LITTLE! MY b-day was dec. 15, guess how old i am in ^th grade!

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you. Best gaming moment: Juhani: "...It was like looking at gods.", Revan: "Damn straight, I DO look divine!"

Ya know, I say skrew dis guy! I mean I was a pretteen a year ago and this guy should burn! BURN! BURN! I probably still am by most people'z standards, but I am not immature, and neither are 9/8 of the people I know! Yes, it is an improper fraction that = 1& 1/8 and I may be in 6th grade but I am definitely not immature! This ignoramus is probably some techno-geek, stay at home, live with my mom @ 40 yrs. old, stuck-up, self-centered dude who thinks that kids are a bad thing! I went into 1st grade when I _ was 5 and I do remedial algebraic equations for fun. this guy, like 99.9% of the quitters of rs2, thinks that it's dumb. I do agree with him on very little of his points of the childishness of the game though. VERY LITTLE! MY b-day was dec. 15, guess how old i am in 6th grade!
Ya know, I hhave to agree with him that the maturity level has gone down... a lot, and I understand this because I'm more social mature than most people and it dosen't defile the greatness of the game in any way whatsoever to see a warning sign that says: "DANGER: Skeletal Wyverns ahead!" The influx of these alleged 'noobs' is increasing and it is so freakin' annoying to have full addy or rune or dragon or barrows and have 239 people begging on their hands and knees, getting ready to give you 1000 buckets of milk or offering to be you slave for your stuff! I like the SoS, it does not in so many ways add childish stupidity to the game. The combat boots are cool! This guy who said that runescape is the game for the youth, He's got serious issues in the medubla abla-gata, or the corpus collosieum (at least, that's how I think their spelled) We're talkin' serious nut job guys.

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you. Best gaming moment: Juhani: "...It was like looking at gods.", Revan: "Damn straight, I DO look divine!"

Ya know
, I agree with every single point in this article. Every single one... except the age stereotyping. Maturity level is what counts, not age, and there are always exceptions. So children can't enjoy the game properly because they are idiots? Nah. (Okay, so I agree that 13- shouldn't play the game, but that's because they're breaking the rules.)

2077089531_93b87b9d10.jpg

You're being watched.

Well i don't know why this is bumped...but yeah it is a game, that is easier for the young to play because of the lack of skill elements like Pking, decision making (GE makes the prices for you), Staking and manual skilling (no fletch x so everybody is at the same speed, no matter how fast they can click).

Without these things that took skill, you click and your character performs an action, no matter how good you are you can't make it go any faster/better.

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...