Tip.It Times Presents: RuneScape: A game for the young?

Ard_Choille

My first ever post :D

This article really did pique my interest, which is probably why I decided to join these forums in the first place. I've been sort of yo-yoing on and off for a few months at a time ever since I first joined in Sept 2004 (enticed by a 'friend' who claimed to be a member of Jagex staff, mod, best player...all that kinda stuff -.- ) Anyways, since I recently came back on, I have seemingly noticed an increase in the number of bots and 'noobs' that are making me slightly doubt whether it is worth playing :shock: (I don't want that to happen!!!)

Nevertheless, as earlier posts have said, I think the author of this article has been blown away a bit too much with criticizing runescape and making miniclip into a scapegoat. I think that what all the bots, immature players, and 'big money' skill advancers (i.e. 99 skillcape fletchers and people who buy their way to high levels <.< ) are doing is destroying not only the game's community, but also the underlying sense of achievement you get every time you meet your level targets, complete a quest or get that skillcape you've always dreamed of. :thumbsup: Oh, sure, everybody hates 'just clicking', but I don't see why some people should go to such measures and be so noobish just to try and avoid that when we all work hard to get our stuff - for those of you who can't take the monotony, try multi-tasking and doing something else on your comp while skilling (e.g., I'm writing this post while trying to catch enough chinchompas to get to lvl 69 hunting ::' )

That just about sums up my point on this matter (in maybe more words than needed :wink: ). Hopefully a good first post! :D

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hm...another biased article from tip.it times. its a good article and many different ways, but it talks about miniclip about being a bad thing; what about the good users that came from miniclip? but despite that, the ending paragraph that prankster talks about is true, but i believe that there is more to playing runescape than escaping from the real world. some people just play it for fun, but it isn't a bad thing to use it as a means of escape.

Nairb168.gif

Retired from runescape. I will be on every now and then though. :)

Guest ene789

Lord just let us get the old RuneScape back. Amen :pray: . RuneScape doesn't take any talent at all anymore. All you need to do is click around. The quests are too dang easy. The hardest one all you need to do is level up a little. I'm not saying RuneScape isn't fun I'm just saying that it's not what it used to be.

Wow, this was an extremely poorly written article. My biggest issue is the whole graphics rant. It's freaking Java - what would you expect? You're paying $5 a month (or nothing!)... do you expect a game that competes with UO or WoW?

If so, I must say your expectation are absolutely rediculous.

And, might I add, when was the last time you refreshed your memory of all of the rules, sifted through the KB, or read every section of the website. My guess is not recently, if ever. So the in-game updates are to make it more convenient to find information. If you already know stuff, don't talk to to town crier then! Simple as that.

I do agree that Miniclip was a really bad idea.

If you want blood and gore, in most places you have to be 17+ and I highly doubt Jagex would want to remove their ENTIRE pre-teen AND teen base.

I dunno, there's a few good points, but it was a poorly thrown together rant about graphics, animation, and corporate greed.

I am OUTRAGED!!! I play Runescape, and am young. I've been scammed at least 5 times off my best items and you don't see me whining. Don't forget that not everyone under the age of 15 is immature.

He wasn't pointing at one specific player he was pointing at an age group and he didn't say everyone that age- was immature. Get your facts straight.

Jagex targeted younger players because they wanted money...anything you shoudn't expect a ompany to do? And I'm pretty sure jagex spent the money on making better updates.

BTW the updates this summer has been pretty good.

Jagex targeted younger players because they wanted money...anything you shoudn't expect a ompany to do?

Some companies put quality and loyalty and honesty ahead of doing everything possible to grub for money -- especially when the owners are millionnaires a hundred times over.

I'm too cynical to EXPECT any company to be this way, but it sure is nice on the rare occasions when it does happen.

Jagex is violating its own principles by targeting this game to children.

~q

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

I do not want to flame this author, but this sounds likethe rant of a child. Infact it sounds alot like the kids that the author is trying to get out of the game.

I am 21 years old hardly a pre teen or teen for that matter. I can say the changes and the comunity don't bother me because i am mature enough for it not to.

You are right this game is not hard. But, it was never hard it just took more time.

Other MMO's

Diablo was not hard

Guild wars Is not hard

WoW - i dont feel like paying $60 bucks and then having to pay $25 a month. so i wouldnt know.

CnConrad - RIP 10-12-07

1650+ Total lvl Pre-Summoning

106 Cb lvl Pre-Summoning

Quest Cape Pre-Summoning

9ab2a6cefd.png

Jagex targeted younger players because they wanted money...anything you shoudn't expect a ompany to do?

Some companies put quality and loyalty and honesty ahead of doing everything possible to grub for money -- especially when the owners are millionnaires a hundred times over.

I'm too cynical to EXPECT any company to be this way, but it sure is nice on the rare occasions when it does happen.

Jagex is violating its own principles by targeting this game to children.

~q

How is Jagex violating its own principles? Actually ignore that what in the name of Jeeeeesus are Jagex's 'principles'? I have no idea what you're talking about.

To the guy with the riposte to my thing about control, your WOW or Guildwars or w/e example means you have to monitor 2 more things -mind destroyingly complicated...sorry to be rude but c'mon even the most complicated game requiring 12 button combinations and 'monitoring' of 7 things can be mastered in a matter of hours. Humans pwn games. So from a limitations of the human mind aspect(abiltity to keep track of 4 things and press 4 buttons) that argument is crap because that is not harder than monitoring 3 things and pressing one button after having played for a few minutes let alone hours.

How is Jagex violating its own principles?

Mainly by claiming that those under 13 are not allowed to set up new accounts while simultaneously marketing the game towards those same children. This makes their "no under 13" claims little more than lip service to appease their lawyers. They are encouraging children to lie in order to sign up for the game.

Then there are other areas.. such as claiming parents should be responsible for their kids' gameplay but providing them with virtually no tools to help them do so; saying they greatly value an online presence when J mods are scarcer than hen's teeth; and a lot more.

~q

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

I played a long time before jagex put links in miniclip. I quit and forgot about rs for months and one day I looked on miniclip and remembered rs. Miniclip didn't just ruin rs, it brought mature players in as well, but alot more unmature too

~sorry if that doesn't make sence, typing on my psp #-o

Exactly - I came from miniclip :D

sigforrooneyxu0.jpg

ÃÆââââ¬Ã¢Ã¢ââ¬Ã

How is Jagex violating its own principles?

Mainly by claiming that those under 13 are not allowed to set up new accounts while simultaneously marketing the game towards those same children. This makes their "no under 13" claims little more than lip service to appease their lawyers. They are encouraging children to lie in order to sign up for the game.

Then there are other areas.. such as claiming parents should be responsible for their kids' gameplay but providing them with virtually no tools to help them do so; saying they greatly value an online presence when J mods are scarcer than hen's teeth; and a lot more.

~q

SAYS YOU, with your self-claimed CYNICAL mind. They are no more actively advertising the game at pre teens than at people aged 60-70, show me some proof, other than a picture of a guide from 5 years ago, which has an age description of 7+ (or w/e), because thats no proof at all . I'm sure WOW/Guild wars/any other game ever is this socially responsible and creates 'tools' for parents to monitor their childs activity. SHUH(this means yeh right!!!!!). Seriously its a game with almost no marketing (read NO MARKETING) and yet you are saying its 'TARGETED' at kids, thats not a strong arguing point.

The problem i REALLY have with this article is not the content of the article but the responses to it from people like you, making ridiculous, unsubstantiated claims and then going omg the community suxors. [bleep]ing and moaning like 4 year olds about a poor community is the definition of irony, and thats all 99% of the posts on this thread are. I put it to you we have seen the dark side of Runescapes player base on this thread, from the ex-player who 'suddenly realises' the game sucked and can't compare to w/e flash in the pan game they found this month and can't help but tell everyone who plays RS that they are losers and playing a crap game, to the people who play going 'omg haxors, community blows its like Jagex really wants kids to play it r a fact based on how stupid everyone is and young, unlike me who r smart'. Thus endeth the tale.

SAYS YOU

Well, that's mature.

No, actually, a whole lot of people say it. Those who actually look into the matter rather than reflexively defending Jagex. (Seems to be a lot of the latter around here, though.)

They are no more actively advertising the game at pre teens than at people aged 60-70, show me some proof, other than a picture of a guide from 5 years ago, which has an age description of 7+ (or w/e), because thats no proof at all.

I already showed you proof, and you just hand wave it away as "that's no proof at all"? Well sorry but it IS proof. And that guide isn't from 5 years ago, it was published THIS YEAR.

Instead of kneejerking like this, why don't you look into the issue? I already have, extensively.

Seriously its a game with almost no marketing (read NO MARKETING) and yet you are saying its 'TARGETED' at kids, thats not a strong arguing point.

Again, you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

Typical, unfortunately.

~q

signew2.png

SAYS YOU

Well, that's mature.

No, actually, a whole lot of people say it. Those who actually look into the matter rather than reflexively defending Jagex. (Seems to be a lot of the latter around here, though.)

They are no more actively advertising the game at pre teens than at people aged 60-70, show me some proof, other than a picture of a guide from 5 years ago, which has an age description of 7+ (or w/e), because thats no proof at all.

I already showed you proof, and you just hand wave it away as "that's no proof at all"? Well sorry but it IS proof. And that guide isn't from 5 years ago, it was published THIS YEAR.

Instead of kneejerking like this, why don't you look into the issue? I already have, extensively.

Seriously its a game with almost no marketing (read NO MARKETING) and yet you are saying its 'TARGETED' at kids, thats not a strong arguing point.

Again, you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

Typical, unfortunately.

~q

Please do enlighten me then and show me some CONCLUSIVE proof that Jagex is marketing the game at pre-teens, if you can't then you are a HUGE hypocrite. Seriously don't come back at my arguments with 'yeh there was this 1 guide and you don't know what you're talking about' because thats insulting. Help me out here, i will not accept that Jagex markets the game at young children on the basis of ONE/UN/UNO piece of literature. So if your next post includes more evidence of a trend towards targeting young children and less supposition on your part: like my argument is a knee-jerk defensive reaction in support of Jagex a company 'i have some sort of vested interest in (?)'

(i have no problem with you saying you don't liek the game,i am not an employee of Jagex and thus have no interest in defending it, i DO have a problem with you stating things as fact and then not providing convincing evidence that they are indeed fact)then i will be happy to counter/accept your point.

Also and this is a tad personal but hey looks like were not going to be friends, why do you end your posts with a q? Your name is right there for all to see.

B.

I am reading more immaturity here on this thread than I ever see in-game. And yes, that is the author and everyone agreeing with him. Since when does the opinion of a non-player have a voice in this community?

Ex-player buddy, not non-player. Get the phrasing right, and then you might see how valuable your post really is.

And everyone referencing MEP and maybe one or two other hard quests involving puzzles- sure, some might be difficult, but the vast majority of the game, if not all of what you are not mentioning, is painfully easy and dull [until you get into PvP, bu that's not a measure of how hard to beat the game is, but of how difficult to beat your opponent is]. I mean, I've fallen asleep with my eyes open while DK'ing. This is not a game for the advanced mind, it is a game for the simple one, no matter how the community is shaped. The game design is just so basic, so easy, so... PG, that it would be ludicrous to call this a game for anything past a teenager, and the only reason they're included is because they actually have an attention span, unlike little kids.

Oh, and yes, the first time I went into the DK's I didn't even know what the place looked like, didn't even use a guide, and I was perfectly fine- and that was back in the day where the quota was to use rune armor and God Spells. This game isn't hard. Can you really prove that it, as a whole, is?

Is Halo 2 hard after you've run through the campaign once? Is Civilization 1/2/3/4 hard once you've played 10 times? Is Baldurs Gate 2 hard? Very few games are hard once you've played for more than a few hours, you learn what to do and when to do it, you become efficient. Cutting trees isn't hard, neither is fishing, nor slayer nor anything else except some of the longer quests. R.S requires lateral thinking and dedication/determination, these are still skills just different ones to for example the skills required to play a FPS such as dexterity and hand-eye co-ordination. RS is very different to any game i've played and its hard to compare it to others, but the main point of a game is to have fun and wether this is done by clicking a yew tree or shooting an alien with an assault rifle doesn't really matter. As for how this pertains to a poor community i don't know.

@Prankster King:The most objectional part of the article is the bit about it just being clicking, interesting because clicking is just the control method offered to the player, just like on console games where you press an analogue stick forward or a shoulder button or w/e to make your charachter walk- to me theres not much difference. I would like to understand some things about you as a player of the game you are critiquing(cant think of a better way to say can you answer these questions).Did you enjoy the game when you started playing? If so why, and how long untill you decided you didn't like it? Are there any redeamable features of the game in your opinion? Thanks.

I have to say that this is probably one of the best arguments ive read so far!! =D> I just want to say that i totaly agree and good job, keep up the good work.

Y2k949sSiggy.jpg

I have seen the truth, and it makes no sense.

I should probably change my signature...

Meh, tommorrow....

Please do enlighten me then and show me some CONCLUSIVE proof that Jagex is marketing the game at pre-teens.

Jagex contacted the #1 leading publisher of children's books in the world. They contracted with a leading children's book author and worked with her to write the Offical Runescape Guide. They are now marketing the guide to 9-12 year olds and selling it through Scholastic book clubs to that age range and younger.

That is conclusive proof that Jagex is marketing the game at pre-teens.

~q

signew2.png

Please do enlighten me then and show me some CONCLUSIVE proof that Jagex is marketing the game at pre-teens.

Jagex contacted the #1 leading publisher of children's books in the world. They contracted with a leading children's book author and worked with her to write the Offical Runescape Guide. They are now marketing the guide to 9-12 year olds and selling it through Scholastic book clubs to that age range and younger.

That is conclusive proof that Jagex is marketing the game at pre-teens.

~q

I respond with, thats not conclusive, you have offered no more evidence than the originally posted guide for the game many pages back. I asked if you had further proof that Jagex has been targeting young children, you have failed to show me this.

Also ONOEZ they contacted an author and publisher and distributor for a book they released, not like i KNEW that IMPLICITLY from the fact that it was released or anything. Also they should of contacted the grittiest crime novelist/publishing company to write/publish the book because that would fit the tone of the game. Jagex ARE targeting children, but not pre-teens, some of you seem to have forgotten that untill you are 18 (depending on the country you live in) you are a child.

Edit: J K Rowling is a childrens novelist, i would accept her writing my autobiography, and i'm sure she wouldn't turn my life into a disney-esque tale of whimsy.

Bravo! =D> =D>

These last few updates for F2P (Doomsayer, Skill Tutors, ect.) have been absolutly for those who don't bother to figure things out for themselves. Not to mention the quest help system... Good idea? I think not. Once this game required strategy, then miniclip came, and whatever strategy there was, (I entered After and beacuse of miniclip :( ) ceased to exist.

I started in miniclip and was bored. Was 13 now almost 15...does that make me immature? Im willing to agree that miniclip has indeed destroyed the runescape community. Ive started playing WoW instead simply due to the horrible community that was once great.