Tip.It Times Presents: RuneScape: A game for the young?

Ard_Choille

i also think that the writer was taking a rather pessimistic view of the community nowadays, as there are still quite a few mature players i find in-game.

however, i do agree with the noted fact that everything has almost become too easy. abyss rc-ing, pouches (though i benefit from both), string all, smith all, fletch all, cook all, anything all, its all become waaay too easy. gone are the glory days of a player who gained those 13 million+ experience points for the then-rare level 99 in a skill through sheer determination and resolution. example: fletching "achievement" capes. i've seen so many of those that i've decided that if i ever get 99 fletching, i either won't even get the cape or i'll get it and throw it straight in the bank. that's how discouraging leveling has become.

proud quest cape owner

here's my first post on the TIF (scroll to the bottom)

feel free to pm me, but do make sure that i know you're a Tip.It user (in other words, give me a HYT)

signatureTIF.jpg

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to agree with this article. Being an "older" player (21 years of age), I have noticed that there are alot of immature players out there, mostly people begging for free stuff or calling people noob when the person doesn't give something for free or show the skillcape emote (if you want to see the emote, get the cape yourself!) and in general not using common sense. Some of the security updates (Doomsayer, Wilderness Ditch, etc) are definitely aimed at the younger players who are too dumb to realize that not everyplace in the world is safe and are too lazy to look at the Knowledge Base or ask other players.

lovepanda86.png
lovepanda86.png
--8727th person to achieve 99 Fishing on 8/19/2008--
--6012th person to achieve 99 Thieving on 10/12/2008--

R.I.P. October 31, 2013

lovepanda.png

99 Fletching 7/16/2015

Wow.. I guess I've never realized that all the things king said are true. Even though I did only start playing in 2004 at the age of 14, I haev noticed the maturity go down as well as the overall "simple" aspect of the game rise.

I did see the game through miniclip and didn't take notice at first until one of my friends said "hey, look at this". So I did, and was hooked. I've played since then, trying to make friends with the people like me, not the obnoxious brats people call kids now-a-days..

I know I can't blame them, everyone was there at least at one point in there life, even if it only lasted a month or two..

But you have to remember that everyone that plays the game is addicted or we wouldn't play it.

Anything you do more than once is a habit, and personally Runescape can be a very bad habit.

Miniclip didn't just ruin rs, it brought mature players in as well, but alot more unmature too

i agree with that. my friends learned about rs thru miniclip, and thru them i joined rs. i was never the immature noob/preteen. then again, there are always exceptions

Congrats, you're part of the 0.0023% exception. Of course I pulled that number out of thin air, but whatever. I too started playing Runescape Classic in my pre-teen years. I was probably obnoxious, but I doubt I was anywhere close to as immature as many of the players I see today...

Exactly, i was also about 11 or 12 in runescape classic. But the preteens of that age werent given everything like they are now in runescape. the world of runescape was huge and a very fun place to explore. most people were kind and nobody seemed to ever be extremely cruel to others. there werent any "looking for a gf" or "selling my account 1m". The rares didnt control the economy and hell, i remember wen addy was the top armor :))

now with the knowledge base and the sos, new players are babied and it gives them a sense of immaturity that we were never exposed to, making them different than "us" (us meaning the people who were under 16 wen rsc came out). tbh, things keep getting made easier for them so more people will buy members. make "x"? ftl jagex ftl....

1-800slayer.png

Retired after 2 accounts and 8 years of scapin...2 accounts over 2,000 total...may my life rest in peace

Brawl Code:5327-0581-3706

I posted this topic in the RuneScape official forums under General.

You're welcome to post it there.

I am asking for a formal response by Jagex on the thread as well.

Thanks. I tried to give credit to tip.it on the forum, but i'm not allowed to name names or fansite names. But we all know who deserves the credit.

If you have any problems or concerns, please confront me on the TIF Private Message section.

Thanks!

108th to 99 Prayer

I agree with this article. Being a 'Scaper from the past, I know what he speaks of. I too have begun to not play as much, been turned back to my old school Counter-Strike.

But it finally is bold enough to raise the point of immaturity and how childish the game has become.

Not only does this open the eyes to the majority of the Tip.iters here, I know for a fact Jagex looks at this website, and will read the article, hopefully they will begin to jump back from the childish updates.

Demon Slayer was great, I finished it back in RSC with those 2D graphics, I don't remember much from it, but I believe the villain still tip-toed away, maybe not, don't remember it that well.

Anyhow, I agree, I for the most part actually didn't notice some of the childish things Jagex has implanted into the game, but now that I've read this and thought about it, I see it for what it is, I hope Jagex has the guts to make this game a bit more adult now, for it is now that I see it, begin ruined and changed into one of those sites such as that Online Cartoon game where you throw pies at the villains or whatever, Toon Town or whatever it's called.

I really do hope things change... I wish that it does...

-Wolfy

Wolfy is Officially Retired.

I miss you all (Well, mostly my friends n stuff)

If you want to talk to me, send me a message, I check the boards daily. :D

Well....

Where to begin really.

First off i will have to agree with EVERYTHING in this article.

Although *some* may be a tad exaggerated. It does show the Raw truth of runescape.

*points to sig*

I have quit/retired from RS, Because of many of the reasons here. I can remember when i first started off (I was in year 2), i believe that i may have been immature - abit. But NOWHERE NEAR as immature/Stupid people that is the majority of people now playing.

One word... AMEN!!! =D> =D> =D>

I wish Runescape was a game that took talent and brains :pray: , but alas, that would cut down on profits, and we can't have that, can we?

Runescape used to be so great, back when jagex put their players first, instead of their wallets....

Miniclip didn't just ruin rs, it brought mature players in as well, but alot more unmature too

These quotes i think sum up my views.

I think it'd be awesome if they could do a maturity test on Runescape lol.

Question 1: Are you an Autoer

ANSWER: yez i/\/\ |_!ke gonnA |-|ack yOu a1l

Question 2: Do you consider Yourself Immature?

ANSWER: n0, Cau$e |M lIk3 the |3Est 4Nd y0u c/-\N7 Beat me. |/\/\ gpNnA |_ike pwn YOU a1l A|\|d Ste@L y0uR s7U4f!

Sorry, you can not play runescape speaking like this. Please go away and never come back. :XD:

Having trouble with l33t-sp33k? go Here (translator)

~! Necro !~

Joined Runescape: 23/01/02 |||. Retired from Runescape: 07/07/2007

[hide=Quotes]

Elfs creating a crystal Axe would be like GreenPeace creating a Nuclear Powered Harpoon for killing seals...

"Level 1 sailing: ability to build a failboat.'
[/hide]

half_banner.gif

Drops: Ahrims Hood, Guthans set FULL (minus legs), dragon half shield, dragon legs/skirt

although WHAT he is saying is true, most of WHY he says is is not, imo

miniclip was NOT the first immature point of RS - i started a few months before the infamous ad came up, and there were still some immature little [cabbages] playing (admittedly less)

the graphics havent got worse as you say, just not improved as much - i cannot remember any blood/gore in the game ever, and i find the cartoony graphics kind of unique for runescape, compared to the almost realistic, lifelike (and terribly slow on my graphics card) games of today.

grinding too, was and is a major part of the game. the only people who dont like the faster easier methods are those who had to grind there way in the first place, such as lvl 99 classic players. these people moan that its is too hard for them, whilst being too easy for people today

i cannot think of any game (other than the hardcore rp ones which require you you right a small essay to start and a number of people to vote for you to join) that do not have problems based around immaturity. unfortunatly, rather than just a problem for jagex, i find that kids in real life are becoming worse, and all the 'nanny state' culture is a real problem too (in uk, not sure about rest of world)

personally im glad that you quit, and i think anyone who agrees with him should go to. somehow i doubht youll find any online multiplayer game without immaturity, and as far as im concerned, half the people who moan are just as bad...

(bring on the flames :twisted: )

phaper.png

killing off the TET, one newb at a time :^_^:

latestsig-1.png

im cutting back on rs now due to rl issues (college), my sig stats havent been updated in a while...

miniclip was NOT the first immature point of RS - i started a few months before the infamous ad came up, and there were still some immature little [cabbages] playing (admittedly less)

the graphics havent got worse as you say, just not improved as much - i cannot remember any blood/gore in the game ever, and i find the cartoony graphics kind of unique for runescape, compared to the almost realistic, lifelike (and terribly slow on my graphics card) games of today.

grinding too, was and is a major part of the game. the only people who dont like the faster easier methods are those who had to grind there way in the first place, such as lvl 99 classic players. these people moan that its is too hard for them, whilst being too easy for people today

i cannot think of any game (other than the hardcore rp ones which require you you right a small essay to start and a number of people to vote for you to join) that do not have problems based around immaturity. unfortunatly, rather than just a problem for jagex, i find that kids in real life are becoming worse, and all the 'nanny state' culture is a real problem too (in uk, not sure about rest of world)

personally im glad that you quit, and i think anyone who agrees with him should go to. somehow i doubht youll find any online multiplayer game without immaturity, and as far as im concerned, half the people who moan are just as bad...

-

I'd be saying all that if you hadn't. I support you 1000%!

I really liked that =D>

Sometimes I asked myself "who are they trying to target with these bad quests?" And that answered all my questions :D

Whats the fun in clicking on something over and over?

That's why they added the mining update so some of the kiddies don't get bored.

Also, I do belive jagex is trying to help us mature players now. But still they need to take their minds of the money for a couple days and focus on the real gameplay. Then they would get more members and have less people quit. (maybe)

Thank goodness for TIF friends <3:

~Retired

Tbfgraphx14

Happy to find I'm not the only one who eats glass.

-

I'd be saying all that if you hadn't. I support you 1000%!

What an awesome post for someone with a post count of now 1.

jonno53, if you read many peoples quit messages it will be for other reasons then "rs is too whiny"

Joined Runescape: 23/01/02 |||. Retired from Runescape: 07/07/2007

[hide=Quotes]

Elfs creating a crystal Axe would be like GreenPeace creating a Nuclear Powered Harpoon for killing seals...

"Level 1 sailing: ability to build a failboat.'
[/hide]

half_banner.gif

Drops: Ahrims Hood, Guthans set FULL (minus legs), dragon half shield, dragon legs/skirt

This is all true but there has been alot of high level updates this summer.

The maturity back in 2004 was high you almost never saw people calling each other noobs and the higher levels helped us lower levels.

There are still mature players they are just hidden in high level places.

But as the author quit runescape he hasn't seen the community in quiet awhile. Alot has changed but we can't souly blame miniclip can we? It did speed up the process in bringing the immature to the game but Jagex is a company and more people is more money and that what we all want.

Well as for the warning and Stronghold for security....

The stronghold is a GREAT training area for f2p and low levels p2p alike. It was great for me getting 60 attack strength and defence.

The warning are total bull i hate them they are annoying and when i go to an area i go in and out until i see don't show me this again. So i can go to that dude in lumbridge and turn it off.

The graphic of the Zombie and goblins are bull too they are ugly and little kiddy stuff. The Holdiay items now are junk the jester stuff the scythe the bunny ears those are classic good stuff. But antlers what are we 2 year olds?

But as the author quit he has no say in our community at this present time he has say in the time he played.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Miniclip should never be allowed to advertise rs. They are bringin in 6 year olds who 'play' club penguin :shock: The author has a very good point there.

I still remember the posts on the miniclip forum about rs... even more idiotic than the RSOF rant forum.

Th3_C4bb4g3.png

Th3_C4bb4g3.png

Th3_C4bb4g3.png

- Back to casual f2p scaping due to limited time (university and girlfriend <3:) -

i do agree that the comunity has gone downhill since 2004 when i first joined runescape and it was bad even then :wall: to tell the truth i hate how easy runescape has become. i would probably have quit but for the friends i have made along the way and the fact that there are some difficult ventures (not many, but some). these have all obviously been dumbed down and over advertised as being dangerous by jagex the nanny to pre teens.

however i can give jagex some credit, they have been making some serious effort towards high lvl updates recently, (the dragonfire shield, the dragon full helm and mithril dragons, the soon to be 'god dungeon') noone here has seemed to realise it yet but jagex has already not made a single noob update since the town criers. they are beginning to care about the higher level players of runescape. they do still over warn everyone but they give the more experienced players a chance to stop these annoying warnings. they do help the immatures start out, they also give the high levels things to do. i think that jagex has almost begun the slow backwards crawl towards making the runescape comunity a better place like it used to be

feel free to pm me about andything here private is always on

p.s. im probably on my pure so if u want to say anything add 0wnage icer (bad name i know)

Why is Jagex doing this? Money. Pure money. The kids get a taste with f2p, then they want the whole cake. 1 million members times about $7 a month is 7 million dollars. A month. Incredible.

Hyt Chat FOREVER

Killy_Da_Kid.png

Killy_Da_Kid.png

I have quit RuneScape. I have posted on the Leaving sticky saying so. Goodbye.

"Too late... my time has come... gotta leave you all behind and face the truth."

~ Freddie Mercury ~

i can empathise with the authors point of view but dont fully agree with it.

there have been some high level updates and looks like another this month

i wasnt around for classic but have been for a few years and am an "older player" its easy to blame Jagex but dont forget that in the last few years internet access has become easier and cheaper and has opened up pandoras box to the masses. a few years ago PC's were more expensive and access was dial up (shudders) that kept a huge amount of kiddies / lazy / ignorant people playing their PS1 / watching TV.

the growth of RS to a mass game also brought an awareness of social responsibility to jagex eg possibility of addiction, RSI etc that the leveling / achievement and constant clicking could cause. they have created a potential monster and have to find ways of managing cause and effect. they have to have warnings and lots of in game assistant agents otherwise they will get swamped with the rants you dont see. ie direct mails in from parents etc threatening action as xyz hadnt recieved any warning. sounds a bit incredulous but litigation does happen just as it does IRL

my point of view is that the general population has changed both IRL and online and its the greater accesability of the internet to all which has lowered the social / intellectual mix of the community (let in more lazy want it nows), yes jagex has made it easier but it was still hard for a low level and i needed to level up to make it easier.

i think im going off the point now.... oh well.....

I noticed as you progress through RS life that lower / mid / higher levels tend to stick together and will talk to each other. the higher levels will generally not ask a dumb question as they will usually be experienced so its less risky to help them as you know it will be a one off. this of course is a generalisation and may not apply to you. you dont know when someone ignores your question that they might just have answered 3 others in the last 5 minutes and really want to get on with what they are doing / going

i enjoy runescape, i enjoy the small personal achievements i set myself, i enjoy interacting with friends i have made across the globe and i enjoy helping others. i can see the scammers, the autoers and the lazy, if i have time i will report, warn, advise as i see fit (and their potential victims). theres good and bad everywhere. if theres enough good then concentrate on that.

I got invited on the trawler by 2 guys 20 and 30 lvls below myself. i wasnt in the middle of something so i went, i had a great time and they are now good friends

completely off topic - what i dont understand is who buys all the tons of gold IRL the autoers / gold farmers etc are making it has to be thousands of pounds to make it worthwhile to them

platinum1004.png

platinum1004.png

platinum1004.png

platinum1004.png

platinum1004.png

nice article, agree on the miniclip part, and the quests.

my favorite part of the article

they flocked into its website like a stampede of deranged cattle thatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s been hyped up with Red Bull in their water troughs.
:P

yea, i have to agree with the "There werenÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t those under aged kids who blew up like an active volcano when they didnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t get their way." one year ago, i couldnt sense a disturbance in the force! but now, everyday i see a 12-14 year old trying to flame me just for giving him pointers :wall: i mean, help isnt appreciated?

oh btw at this day, the wilderness is like a gathering-point for those kids, i see them more there than anywhere

Take your time to post on my blog please!

underbanner_proto.jpg

Open up your hate and let it flow into me, madness is the gift that has been given to me...

True, thats why they need to make it easier to pwn noobs. Like in WC3 if somebody disagrees with you, you challenge them to a game, pwn them, and put them in their place. In RS, people are just like 'lawl noob you teh sux!!!!' and then hop worlds.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

my favorite part of the article

they flocked into its website like a stampede of deranged cattle thatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s been hyped up with Red Bull in their water troughs.
:P

Lol I laughed at that line to. :P

I pretty much agree with what the author said. Jagex are making Runescape look like a child's game, probably giving WoW players to make more fun out of. If Jagex kept with the teen/adult age theme, Runescape would be more popular and appeal to a lot more people, the kiddies would still be playing regardless. I find the "Did you know" thing at the end of article, ironic.

Is it it true about the demon slayer quest with a dark mage tip-toeing away? Because that sounds really cheesy. Oh and the "I would of got away with it, if it wasn't for you meddling brats", I believe Sigmund has said that line in a Dorgshuun quest. :|

No longer playing Runescape, I caught the WoW bug.

I pretty much agree with what the author said. Jagex are making Runescape look like a child's game, probably giving WoW players to make more fun out of.

Being both a rs and WOW player, I have yet to see somebody make fun of runescape on a WOW server. True the community is overall more mature and friendly (but the games designed to need others help to conquer and have fun(plus no f2p or cheap subscription)). Anyways, I think those making fun of the other game are the .01% of the community that bother to go on forums and say that stuff. Or 2, an immature kid that just got scammed for 100k quits, joins WOW (or any other game for that matter), and immediately goes to a rs forum to vent his frustration. 8-)

Blizzard really did well in thinking out the community aspect of WOW. Theres an actual button on a trade screen where you can give them an item to enchant without the use of a "trust trade". And you can't just hop world, your stuck there to dish it out or get on your other character :XD: . And although rs has several holes in a few of their ideas, it's still worth coming back to see all the humour they put everywhere in the game :XD: . You just don't get that anywhere else \' .

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

I started playing when I was 11 and I never portrayed the disrespect and immaturity I see in the game now.

I don't beleive it's just the age standard, I'm sure that's a big part, but I do beleive the problem lies within the generation. Each generation is differnt I beleive my generation is better then the one below me. They don't understand that a game such as runescape has a community behind it and there are other people. They don't understand that just because it's a game they can do what they want. They don't understand a lot of things and I guess either they won't mature and will stay like that forever or hopefully they'll wise up and grow out of it.

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

"I backed my car into a cop car the other day

Well he just drove off sometimes life's ok

Alright already we'll all float on

Alright don't worry we'll all float on" - Isaac Brock

Days Hunting:4 - Kingly Imps Caught:2

Money Earned: 4.5-5m