Tip.It Times Presents: RuneScape: A game for the young?

Ard_Choille

I find this article however well written to be utter rubbish.

It is based on the over populated view that the community has had some sudden crash. The community is barely altered all the way through rs, sure f2ps community has died but so few of these "kids" become p2p tomakemuch difference.

People just notice now and the RSC players are so reminiscent about the good ole days they make it out to be better than it was.

As for the pre-teens its utter rubbish again, sure there are SOME,but since you have to be 13 (12?) to make an account the community is not made up of all largely kids now. Personally I have only come across 3 players under 15 in my time on rs.

As for it being "easy" anyone can claims its easy if you sit here and use tip.it for every last quest and skill bit of info going. Try doing something for yourself and see how easy it is.

It was no easy task for me and around 9 other players on RSOF one morning to figure out the ghostly robes after discovering the first ghost. It tooks as several hours to solve the clues and realise there was 3 routes.

It was no easy task for anyone who did me2 before the guide came, anyone who knows me knows how good i am at puzzles and it took me 8 hours to solve.

Even quests as low as medium difficulty require a good amount of skill and game knowledge to do without a guide, as you actually have to deduce what to bring where to go etc etc.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He forgets to mention one thing, the lumbridge teleport ruined the danger in rs also. If you're on a dangerous quest and don't have a teleport, you used to have no choice but go on, and complete the task or die attempting it, now you can just tele. It ruins the fun a bit.

RS has both good and bad stuff and i think that on Jagex they try to satify all lvls in the game.

I surdenly dont like the players going around calling other noobs and stuff but i rather wont those then all the lvl3 cheaters just working for real world trading making it harder for us to make money when they drop the prize.

the part that stuck out most to me was

what's the fun in constant clicking to achieve levels? it's just click after click.

well how else are u going train lvls...... typing? -.-

other than that u have a good point 8-)

especily about the immaturity of other players. the problem with little kids age4-10 at miniclip coming to rs is that at that age their parents still havent taught them about hard work or respect i mean there little kids you expect them to be nice when they dont get there way i mean did u ever act perfectly when u were 8 years old no u didnt you wanted your way all the time and so did i that how little kids are. whats the [bleep]ion????

2 versions of rs little kid version and older version (13-adult) but this task

is not as simple as it seems heres some of the problems....

poeple who lie about their age.

which one deseves more updates?

how do they decide what goes into the younger version that doesnt change the game from younger to older?( example... younger version is spongebob older version is the stock market). not a very good example i know.

and the list goes on

the part that stuck out most to me was
what's the fun in constant clicking to achieve levels? it's just click after click.

well how else are u going train lvls...... typing? -.-

What I meant was that there is actually no skill required in the nonstop clicking. You click where you want to go, you click what you want to do, you click for everything. And yes, typing actually is an idea implemented in other games. Arrow keys are used, which makes any game a bit more difficult to play in, because you have to have constant attention to what you're doing.

bannerbancocopiadj3.jpg

userbarunorbv1.png

[bleep], my parrot has better grammar than you.

{Author of Tip.It Times article}{Founder of the F2P Bankspace Campaign}{Interviewed for the Gielinor Tribune}{F2P Bankspace was ACHIEVED!}

I am reading more immaturity here on this thread than I ever see in-game. And yes, that is the author and everyone agreeing with him. Since when does the opinion of a non-player have a voice in this community?

Ex-player buddy, not non-player. Get the phrasing right, and then you might see how valuable your post really is.

And everyone referencing MEP and maybe one or two other hard quests involving puzzles- sure, some might be difficult, but the vast majority of the game, if not all of what you are not mentioning, is painfully easy and dull [until you get into PvP, bu that's not a measure of how hard to beat the game is, but of how difficult to beat your opponent is]. I mean, I've fallen asleep with my eyes open while DK'ing. This is not a game for the advanced mind, it is a game for the simple one, no matter how the community is shaped. The game design is just so basic, so easy, so... PG, that it would be ludicrous to call this a game for anything past a teenager, and the only reason they're included is because they actually have an attention span, unlike little kids.

Oh, and yes, the first time I went into the DK's I didn't even know what the place looked like, didn't even use a guide, and I was perfectly fine- and that was back in the day where the quota was to use rune armor and God Spells. This game isn't hard. Can you really prove that it, as a whole, is?

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Oh and who can forget those young kids that beg for money and items every other turn. I have been playing runescape since slayer came out. I quit and then came back and man I came back to quit a different runescape world. Also there is a lot more player spam when in the bank, fishing, etc on the runescape chat. I don't want to turn it off since someone might need me but come on private message each other if your talking about something random like what your going to do tommorow. Really irritating.

There should be an age cap from 13+ only i mean what i found absolutely pathetic was this: I was watching the evening news[yes i do that] and a woman, mother of two, actually sued Jagex because her son who was 10 years old learned a "word" which she felt he should not learn. You know what that word happened to be? "suck" :XD:

I cannot find the full story as i guess it was too long ago or something.

my vote=age cap

crap? i learned [cabbage] when i was 4

to get back to the topic:

jagex should have a report abuse button for underage. like letsay we know someone who is 12 but they play runescape, just report them and they need to wait till their that age to play.

jagex should have a report abuse button for underage. like letsay we know someone who is 12 but they play runescape, just report them and they need to wait till their that age to play.

How do you think you can figure out who is 12 and who is not?

And by the way, there is NO rule against someone who is 12 playing the game. There were thousands and thousands of pre-teens who made accounts before Jagex's "must be 13 to sign up" rule.

~q

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

I have to say that althought the author made some good points, much of it seemed to just be an excuse to blame young users for all of runescape's problems.

I'm not sure exactly what age group he was refering to, but I am 13 years old and I started playing rs about 2 years ago. This definetly puts me into his "immature" :-s category. In this time I have made it a point not to swear and have never had any so called "temper tantrums" when I don't get my way. I know that this doesnt apply to all young users but it also doesnt seem to apply to all older users either. Also anytime I find something I dont understand I make it a point to check the knowledge base or tip it.

So in closing I just want to say that although it may be true that some things are a little childlike it may just be Jagex's way of lightening up the game. So instead of spending time whining about a game you no longer play try asking jagex to change some things, you may be suprised.

P.S On the point about too much of the game being clicking i have to agree. :wall:

Y2k949sSiggy.jpg

I have seen the truth, and it makes no sense.

I should probably change my signature...

Meh, tommorrow....

I joined the Runescape community about six years ago. It was a fun, tight-knit online society that had something to offer everyone, mature and immature alike. Now that the game's population has sprung into the millions, a lot of the negative aspects are easier to pick out. It's very easy for me to turn nostalgic and reminisce about the good ol'days, but I hate to think that the younger population will be crying out in this same manner in a few short years. Perhaps we cannot accept the fact that the old and young do the same quests, click the same buttons, and share the same in-game space. Runescape may have made a mistake by choosing to cater to a younger community, but what's done is done, and there is no denying that business is good for Jagex.

Personally, I have simply learned to accept the fact that younger players run amok in Runescape, and the chat block options definitely help with that. If only there were someway to run younger players through a sort of hazing (is that legal in a game?) to help guide them towards proper behavior . . . :-k

This has been the best article tip.it has ever had... I found out about it from the network they had, when they had a chess system so you could play with others, while that is common now, it was uncommon back in the day. This was before runescape was like anything... Later, I began to play runescape after I finnaly beat "flea circus", the best game Jagex made, and the community has degraded so much. Just look at it; people just merchant for money; I remember a time where there wasn't enough money for it to be possible to merchant.

runescape has fallen into a stait of despair...

That's what it takes to be a hero, a little gem

of innocence inside of you that makes you want

to believe that there still exists a right and wrong,

that decency will somehow triumph in the end.

--Lise Hand

I am reading more immaturity here on this thread than I ever see in-game. And yes, that is the author and everyone agreeing with him. Since when does the opinion of a non-player have a voice in this community?

Ex-player buddy, not non-player. Get the phrasing right, and then you might see how valuable your post really is.

And everyone referencing MEP and maybe one or two other hard quests involving puzzles- sure, some might be difficult, but the vast majority of the game, if not all of what you are not mentioning, is painfully easy and dull [until you get into PvP, bu that's not a measure of how hard to beat the game is, but of how difficult to beat your opponent is]. I mean, I've fallen asleep with my eyes open while DK'ing. This is not a game for the advanced mind, it is a game for the simple one, no matter how the community is shaped. The game design is just so basic, so easy, so... PG, that it would be ludicrous to call this a game for anything past a teenager, and the only reason they're included is because they actually have an attention span, unlike little kids.

Oh, and yes, the first time I went into the DK's I didn't even know what the place looked like, didn't even use a guide, and I was perfectly fine- and that was back in the day where the quota was to use rune armor and God Spells. This game isn't hard. Can you really prove that it, as a whole, is?

Is Halo 2 hard after you've run through the campaign once? Is Civilization 1/2/3/4 hard once you've played 10 times? Is Baldurs Gate 2 hard? Very few games are hard once you've played for more than a few hours, you learn what to do and when to do it, you become efficient. Cutting trees isn't hard, neither is fishing, nor slayer nor anything else except some of the longer quests. R.S requires lateral thinking and dedication/determination, these are still skills just different ones to for example the skills required to play a FPS such as dexterity and hand-eye co-ordination. RS is very different to any game i've played and its hard to compare it to others, but the main point of a game is to have fun and wether this is done by clicking a yew tree or shooting an alien with an assault rifle doesn't really matter. As for how this pertains to a poor community i don't know.

@Prankster King:The most objectional part of the article is the bit about it just being clicking, interesting because clicking is just the control method offered to the player, just like on console games where you press an analogue stick forward or a shoulder button or w/e to make your charachter walk- to me theres not much difference. I would like to understand some things about you as a player of the game you are critiquing(cant think of a better way to say can you answer these questions).Did you enjoy the game when you started playing? If so why, and how long untill you decided you didn't like it? Are there any redeamable features of the game in your opinion? Thanks.

Yes, they are spot on with the community. However, they are wrong about the updates... This summer has been chock full of high-level content, and more importantly, remedies to some of the most annoying little quirks in the game. To be quite honest, Jagex has done an exceptional job with updates since about three months ago. All that is left for them to do, imo, is a major overhaul of Castle Wars. If they did that, there would be nothing else I could ask for from them, except maybe to make defense more powerful in combat, but that would take an extremely long time to do.

td2sig.jpg

I got into runescape by a 'friend' I guess. (he is a complete jerk and idiot) And have been playing for 4 years. I agree with this and remember 4 years ago wasnt as bad as it is now, i am always heaing stuff nowadays like "your mama..." and idiotic stupid stuff like that. it makes me sick :wall:

This has been the best article tip.it has ever had... I found out about it from the network they had, when they had a chess system so you could play with others, while that is common now, it was uncommon back in the day. This was before runescape was like anything... Later, I began to play runescape after I finnaly beat "flea circus", the best game Jagex made, and the community has degraded so much. Just look at it; people just merchant for money; I remember a time where there wasn't enough money for it to be possible to merchant.

runescape has fallen into a stait of despair...

Perhaps that's the key to the problem? That too many players have too much in-game currency that everything is becoming easily obtainable so that all the supposedly difficult to obtain items are becoming far too common place.

celestrana.png

celestrana.png

Knowledge is Power; a Tip.it guide answers many commonly asked questions.

~Celestrana: Making of a Hero ~ (Visit my blog, today!)

Here, here! Spot on! Bravo! Even since I started playing in early '05 the game has gone downhill, I believe. I loathe the warning signs and pop up messages. Give me one hard lesson and skip the toddler warnings. While it is disappointing to watch RS decline, at least I'm not going to stick around to watch it crash. Tonight was actually my last night in mems (don't have enough time in college to play) so aside from logging on f2p occasionally to chat with friends, my RS days are sort of over. Sad, but I suppose we all must move on. Superb article. =D>

Cieco mondo...cieco mondo

He writes that people were to lazy to read the Knowledge Base, remember, they added the KB like a year ago because people were just to stupid to read the 'what a player mod is' section on the website. I have to admit though, your paying 5 dollars for a java game, what exactly do you expect? Your not paying 50 dollars to buy a WoW disk and then 15 dollars a month to support it. Your not playing halo or resident evil on a console. Never the less, he raises good points.

Don't compare RS to wow, Try Knights online, silkroad, supreme destiny, conquer online, or Guildwars. With the exception of supreme destiny every one of those is superior to rs, with only guildwars requiring a significant amount of money (approx 100$ for all 3 games, no monthly fee, thats about the same as two years of rs.) Knights online, conquer and silkroad take a far smarter system of payment. The ENTIRE game is free. What you pay for is ultra powerful items that are either unnecessary to play the game, or found in the game through an extremely difficult quest.

(Conquer uses the second example, you buy 3 items for 5 bucks, or get one for months of play time. Silk road and Knights use a xp and gp increase system along with powerful sat boosting items not ofund anywhere else, all of which are unnecessary)

My point is I could play any of those games for an equivlent amount of money or less, and have a far better game. Guild wars is the only mmorpg I have ever played that is truely concentrated on group tactics and skill as it only takes about a week to max out character level. even so, someone you just started does not stand a chance in pvp not due to a weak character but due to a lack of knowledge about the game. Silk road is a bit closer to rs in its freeform play style, but has an ingenious world pvp system (with many bugs, but they're improving).

Is Halo 2 hard after you've run through the campaign once? Is Civilization 1/2/3/4 hard once you've played 10 times? Is Baldurs Gate 2 hard? Very few games are hard once you've played for more than a few hours, you learn what to do and when to do it, you become efficient. Cutting trees isn't hard, neither is fishing, nor slayer nor anything else except some of the longer quests. R.S requires lateral thinking and dedication/determination, these are still skills just different ones to for example the skills required to play a FPS such as dexterity and hand-eye co-ordination. RS is very different to any game i've played and its hard to compare it to others, but the main point of a game is to have fun and wether this is done by clicking a yew tree or shooting an alien with an assault rifle doesn't really matter. As for how this pertains to a poor community i don't know.

@Prankster King:The most objectional part of the article is the bit about it just being clicking, interesting because clicking is just the control method offered to the player, just like on console games where you press an analogue stick forward or a shoulder button or w/e to make your charachter walk- to me theres not much difference. I would like to understand some things about you as a player of the game you are critiquing(cant think of a better way to say can you answer these questions).Did you enjoy the game when you started playing? If so why, and how long untill you decided you didn't like it? Are there any redeamable features of the game in your opinion? Thanks.

True clicking is a control system, but his objection is to the simplicity of the game. Let me give you a coparison of combat in RS and one other game.

RS: Duel arena, equal levels, melee combat (mages are exception to the rule)

Click opponet: I attack

He clicks me: He atacks

Wait....

Wait....

Click Shark- back to near full health

He click shark - Hes back to near full health

Wait wait wait...

Stir and repeat...

Someone dies.

Second game (using GW cause I know it the best but equally applicalbe to WOW, conquer, silk road and knights online at higher levels.)

All weapons and armor are equal.

W/R20 versus W/R20 with a standard skill bar

I frenzy and attack

He frienzies and atacks

His health drops and he panics hitting his healing signet

I I see his sig go up and immediatly hit final thrust ending the fight due to a simple error on his part. If he had canceled frenzy he might have survived.

The difference, In rs, all I monitor is my health and that I continue to attack and keep potions up. In guildwars, I have to monitor my enemy's abilites and react accordingly. I could give you a beter example using a monk team, but that would take an hour to type out 5 seconds of combat, I don't have the time. Feel free to comment.

Pm me if you need anything proof-read, I may not be very good, but I am always willing to help.

A Seal Clubber is me!

A Oxygenarin is me!

6*9=42

I disagree with a lot of things. I liked the howling demons! The Stronghold of Security gave F2p it's best training spots. RuneScape takes SOME skill in SOME things ( Kq, fight cave and pits, Dks, Barrows.), the zombies look scarier now by hanging on a thread of spinal cord, it is Jagex's sense of humor with the guy tiptoeing away. I didn't like this article at all.
+1 i know a ten yr old who plays runescape and has all ready seen an 18 movie and sleeped like a log so dont blame runescape being not scary enough on the younger players this article is poo

I really really really i agree with 10000%!! coz this game has been noobimized as a state of mind of the players!! there are times when i really imagine little kids running around me chasing butterflies!! there should be an age restriction and to a certain extent the quality of the game should be favored over the quantity.

i don't think that i could agree more, i started playing just over 4 years ago, when i started playing i was under 13, but no more than an hour later i had the basics down and was killing chickens, once i got into the marketing of RS i soon realized even at my age there were people out there that be it for just pure stupidity were much more immature than myself. and back then just about a month or 2 after RS2 came out, I realized that the updates were getting more and more stupid, once the wilderness ditch came along, that was it, i don't play for skill or anything anymore, i just play to talk to my few and far between friends i have made, unless by some small chance the game increases in maturity im done with it, quite frankly age doesn't matter its the maturity of the player themselves that matters, you could be 10 and more mature than some 30year old its maturity not age and i have personnel seen more maturity in a day-care center then i have many many times in RS

the following statement is true.

the above statement is false.