Tip.It Times Presents: RuneScape: A game for the young?

Ard_Choille

This week's Tip.It Times has been released. Feel free to discuss the article constructively.

RuneScape: A game for the young?

By: Prankster_King

RuneScape -- A once proud game of skill in the times of RSC and the early days of RS2. The community was not too small, and not too largeÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ The players consisted of adults and teenagers, bringing the maturity of age into the game. There was not the mass of preteens in the game, who just werenÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t experienced enough to understand the basics of a community game. There werenÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t those under aged kids who blew up like an active volcano when they didnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t get their way. RuneScape was a community built on adults and young adults alike that enjoyed the community and experience that MMORPG's had to offer. Alas, that community of old is gone...

Click here to read the full article.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He writes that people were to lazy to read the Knowledge Base, remember, they added the KB like a year ago because people were just to stupid to read the 'what a player mod is' section on the website. I have to admit though, your paying 5 dollars for a java game, what exactly do you expect? Your not paying 50 dollars to buy a WoW disk and then 15 dollars a month to support it. Your not playing halo or resident evil on a console. Never the less, he raises good points.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

One word... AMEN!!! =D> =D> =D>

I wish Runescape was a game that took talent and brains :pray: , but alas, that would cut down on profits, and we can't have that, can we?

Runescape used to be so great, back when jagex put their players first, instead of their wallets.

I guess I wrote a little more than one word...

scifiguy08.png

"To be a newb is to enjoy blissful stupidity."

I played a long time before jagex put links in miniclip. I quit and forgot about rs for months and one day I looked on miniclip and remembered rs. Miniclip didn't just ruin rs, it brought mature players in as well, but alot more unmature too

~sorry if that doesn't make sence, typing on my psp #-o

W-Field_2010.png

Miniclip didn't just ruin rs, it brought mature players in as well, but alot more unmature too

i agree with that. my friends learned about rs thru miniclip, and thru them i joined rs. i was never the immature noob/preteen. then again, there are always exceptions

Miniclip didn't just ruin rs, it brought mature players in as well, but alot more unmature too

i agree with that. my friends learned about rs thru miniclip, and thru them i joined rs. i was never the immature noob/preteen. then again, there are always exceptions

Congrats, you're part of the 0.0023% exception. Of course I pulled that number out of thin air, but whatever. I too started playing Runescape Classic in my pre-teen years. I was probably obnoxious, but I doubt I was anywhere close to as immature as many of the players I see today...

Cowards can't block Warriors.

I agree with the article. I've always dreamed of a darker side to RuneScape ever since I noticed that there was no challenge. I suppose that's why I like Morytania.

Maaan, I wish RuneScape had a harder, more dangerous, more EEEEVIL place.

Truthscape - qeltar's excellent insights into RuneScape and more

Cave Story - Best Free RPG ever

-Retired. Forever-

-came through a friend's recommendation, hopefully I'm not one of the immature players-

many skills would be a lot more enjoyable if they weren't click and wait, and most of the security updates are common sense. seriously, the knowledge base tells you exactly how to avoid scams and they have to put something in-game, which will still be unused.

i did like the town criers though, they made my job easier. one 'safe' update that someone with sense can appreciate.

Guest Torksoul

While I agree the maturity has dropped a significant level, I simply don't deal with people (especially the immature ones). I have one, maybe two good friends in real life who play along with me, and we have a grand old time!

All I do is skill and make money, an honest players normal hobbies in game. I hardly talk, and yeah, I get the occasional "OMG, report the bot!!" I just throw an lol their way and get on with the skilling..

Can't say too much about the updates though =P

Hardly check them out at all..

I disagree with a lot of things. I liked the howling demons! The Stronghold of Security gave F2p it's best training spots. RuneScape takes SOME skill in SOME things ( Kq, fight cave and pits, Dks, Barrows.), the zombies look scarier now by hanging on a thread of spinal cord, it is Jagex's sense of humor with the guy tiptoeing away. I didn't like this article at all.

I agree with everything in this article... I've been playing for 4 years, and I found the game randomly when I was messing around on the internet, at the time I was 10. I never ran around calling people "noobs" or swearing, as is the norm nowadays. It's kind of sad... I was privileged to watch the game fall, at least I can find comfort in the fact that other's noticed it too.

Unbanned after 1 1/2 months of Permanent Ban.. lol

~Going Crazy in Reverse~

Seeing as the author of that article has quit, I don't see why he felt the need to write an article like that.
+1

He had the typical view or RS that 90% do after they quit. Maybe I just don't know what the community used to be like, but it's really not THAT bad. I have a full list of friends who are all mature and nice. And most of the higher level players I run into aren't immature.

Quit RS, combat 104, total 1651

ugafan2009.png

While I do agree with some things in that article, I do strongly disagree with how it was written. It makes Runescape out to be some big s*** hole and that there is absolutly nothing good in the game. I think this is not true. For example. some additions like the Stronghold of Security not only gave good training spots for mid-high level f2p, it also was a good way to educate new players. Seriously, people need to stop having such ridiculously high standards and look past some of the bad members of the Runescape community and they can see what good there is in this game.

Artemis_42.png

"Those who know nothing, can understand nothing"

- Ansem, Kingdom Hearts

RuneScape has gone from a decent game with a great community game that took some strategy to play, to a cute little game that a 10 year old plays. The constant warning signs when entering a dangerous part of the game just make the game much less thrilling. So youÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢re walking, about to enter a dark cavern, not having any idea whatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s in there, when suddenly a box pups up saying ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅLook out! ItÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s dangerous in thereÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ You could be killed! ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

"I backed my car into a cop car the other day

Well he just drove off sometimes life's ok

Alright already we'll all float on

Alright don't worry we'll all float on" - Isaac Brock

Days Hunting:4 - Kingly Imps Caught:2

Money Earned: 4.5-5m

Ah yes, a topic I was hoping would get touched up on sooner or later. I was around back in the days of old, the days of RuneScape Classic. It was fun, challenging, and most of all had a great community. Over the few years of playing I decided I had had enough. I quit RuneScape not know that I would later rejoin the community. So after a long break I came back on a new account to discover only the shear every man for himself attitude of the common player. Not one person cared what the poor little noob had to say. The great communtiy of which I had known had slowly decayed into a swarming of preteens who acted as if they didn't even realise there were other people behind the screen.

Yes, I do still play. But these days my only motivation for playing is keeping in touch with the many friends I have collected over the years of both playing and inactivity alike. Afterall, there are still a good few who remain great contributors to our community,

And while I do agree with what was said, I don't commend the way the author neglected all good aspects remaining in the game. The maturity level has dropped over the years but it's not in a perpetual slump as most players who have quit seem to think...

RuneScape has gone from a decent game with a great community game that took some strategy to play, to a cute little game that a 10 year old plays. The constant warning signs when entering a dangerous part of the game just make the game much less thrilling. So youÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢re walking, about to enter a dark cavern, not having any idea whatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s in there, when suddenly a box pups up saying ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅLook out! ItÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s dangerous in thereÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ You could be killed! ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ
hobofreakazosanta1kd2.jpg

This was a rather controversial article, but it had a few valid points.

Yes, JaGeX is lowering the bar a little by making updates more geared to beginners, but have you been under a rock the whole summer? Pretty much the entire summer has been (mostly) higher-leveled oriented.

As for me, i've been playing since 2002, so I can say with a fair degree of certainty that thing's haven't changed too much since the first days.

As it was then, the lower leveled people tended to be a little brats (yes, even I was, for a while), while the higher leveled people tended to band together and help eachother, while thumbing their collective noses at the newbies.

Not really all that much has changed, except for the balance of players. Look around you! How many times do you see higher leveled people helping other high leveled people? I (personally) see it happen on a fairly regular basis, this community as a proof of point.

I still think RS is a valid game, with plenty of mature users, you just have to look for them a bit.

plzstayokrf4.png

sodb4jz.jpg

Sodb Forum

siggiedxc2.png

Stop thinking. It's Runescape.

My only disagreement with the author is on the graphical updates. One he did not talk about was the dragon update. Now ALL dragons look very intemidating.

Really, the rest of the article I agree with completely.

aquasig2lc8.png

^^Click For Monster Hunting Blog (180M+ in drops)^^