Tip.It Times Presents: RuneScape: A game for the young?

Ard_Choille

anyone who agrees with this BS can go join this whiny f2per in quitting (yeah hes f2p hmm i wonder why he made this article) this is ending up being another "im f2p and i want updates but ill rant about something else instead" thing im glad to hear you quit. i joined runescape at hm when i was about 8 or 9 and im 13 now so yeah im one of this stereotypical game ruiners but really who cares what the persons age is it has to deal with maturity... which sadly you dont have if you have to go and make a article just dissing younger players and runescape just go quit and leave us alone

as i said earlier anyone who agrees with this BULL can go join him and quit

i would say more but its 4:34 AM and its already been said

Just this post is an example of the immaturity of younger players. :roll:

bannerbancocopiadj3.jpg

userbarunorbv1.png

[bleep], my parrot has better grammar than you.

{Author of Tip.It Times article}{Founder of the F2P Bankspace Campaign}{Interviewed for the Gielinor Tribune}{F2P Bankspace was ACHIEVED!}

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone who agrees with this BS can go join this whiny f2per in quitting (yeah hes f2p hmm i wonder why he made this article) this is ending up being another "im f2p and i want updates but ill rant about something else instead" thing im glad to hear you quit. i joined runescape at hm when i was about 8 or 9 and im 13 now so yeah im one of this stereotypical game ruiners but really who cares what the persons age is it has to deal with maturity... which sadly you dont have if you have to go and make a article just dissing younger players and runescape just go quit and leave us alone

I feel this lad was trying to say, 'i refute your points about young children ruining the game, and feel it is trite of you to complain about the game and its user base given you don't actually play anymore.' I agree to a certain extent, but your views are your own and you shouldn't be flamed for them.

I think this was very well written, and unfortunately I agree with it. Isn't it ironic that this game is hardly what would be termed as a "G" rating either? The young all need to be pked who play this game. Line up! (haha)

I miss the days of long ago... *dreams of 2001

99 Att, Str, Def, HP, magic, cook, fire, wc, mining, fletch, prayer, fish, farm

Over 2100 skill

134 combat

Im gonna have to be the devils advocate and totally disagree

Yes, whilst there are 'noob' players in members world there are hardly any.. most of these players tend to stick to non-members as i assume they dont see the point in paying money to play a game they probably dont get a huge amount of satisfaction from and whilst to a member non-members seems dull and worthless to a fairly new player the [non-members] world is their oyster.

On to members, id guess the author was a guy of a high combat level.. pretty high actually and i think thats where it goes wrong, players like that and myself [ive been playing for 3 years and im only 105 cb :oops: ] tend to forget that members can be new to a lot of people and also they need help. ok they dont say it in the best way but i think an innocent cry for help can be viewed as noobiness by a lot of people.

As for people who walk around swearing/insulting people and generally making your time worse: there is a report button and believe it or not it works, your ignore list also has pretty much the same function and i rarely run across them in members

Again, look at my post. Im only 14, yet Im not an Immature player at all. I refuse to call someone a noob unless its completely necessary. And even then, I offer them advice to become un-noobishness. This whole thing, its not about the fact that a majority of younger players tend to be noobs, you cant just place a stereotype on all younger players, deeming them unresponsible and immature. While yes, that perticular person's post is something that is completely uneccessary, that doesnt give you the right to instantly assume, nor make a statement following the guidelines of, all young players are immature.

Quite frankly, I'm tired of Stereotypes. One time, I was having a good time with someone I met while I was training at the Ice Giants. I asked him how old he was, he said he was 20. I said I was 14. He said a was a youngin' and a nooblet, then he world switched to avoid me. That, is a stereotype. Do you agree that all Black Males are convicts because there are more Black Males in prison currently than there have ever been in College's? No. You look at the fact that America didn't allow Black Males to attend College's until after the Civil War, with Lincoln's Emancipation, Allowing Black Slaves to join the Union. Do you agree that all people born in Mexico that are now in the US are borderhoppers, just because a majority of all people from Mexico in the US lack a green card? No. You just look at the fact that a Mexican criminal record could keep a Mexican from crossing the border. So, As I lay these facts down before you all, can we all agree that not ALL younger player's are Immature, like some of you seem to think?

Did you guys ever wonder it might not be the other players growing immaturity but your own growing maturity that is displayed here.

You feel like you're all mature now, and forget that you also were young and immature once. You look down on young players but forgot that you yourself have also been a young player once.

And don't talk like it was better in your time, it just makes you sound like my grandfather. It wasn't better in your time, you just picture it like that because you only remember the good stuff (it's something entirely human, but you should always keep it in mind).

Don't judge people so quickly,

If you hate some aspects of the game: just ignore them.

If you can't ignore them and it's making you mad: go do something else.

Don't start whining about the good old days, they are gone and will never come back.

Just a quick note for those who can appreciate it:

Remember the past, dream about the future and enjoy the present.

With my sincere regards,

Mrblack666

ps: sorry for any spelling or grammatical mistakes, but english was only my third language at school (after dutch and french).

Get Busy Living, Or Get Busy Dying.

Proud owner of a Quest Cape

I'm afraid Jagex is turning RuneScape into a game for younger kids. They're just adding too many things that benefit younger players, and make the game easier for people who've already worked hard to be where they are today. Where was the Lumbridge bank when I started playing? Where was the Lumbridge teleport back when I couldn't find my way home? Jagex has a very awesome game, but honestly, they're ruining it. I think they were fine with Tutorial Island, I know I was. I've never been scammed, never been banned, I've never even had a black mark. Why? Because I was informed. The problem with the new players is that they're not informed and there's one way to stop that.

Verification by credit/debit card. I think there has to be some kind of parental consent via credit/debit/bank account, that has proof that this kid has parents and that they're verifying that they're over 13. Will parents still let younger kids play? Sure. But it would lessen the number of young kids playing by a large number. There's also something much more drastic... make RuneScape members-only.

What!? How could you say that!? I know some people are going to disagree with me, because there are good F2Pers out there, and I'm sorry to suggest this, but RuneScape would be better off P2P only. Maybe Jagex could have a demo of the game available for people to play for a little whilte, then decide whether they want to upgrade to members?

Sorry, it's late here and I've been sitting for 5 hours straight, my writing skills aren't the best at this hour. Oh, and sorry this post is long and contains a little suggestiong. Happy posting.

pwned.png

It's dolomite, baby!

Dark matter - Each pound of which weighs over ten thousand pounds.

I don't have the energy to make an official quote. But xzombifiedx recently posted that RuneScape players (he did not say all of them) are cocky and lazy middle school students. That isn't true. Some of them are, but others are way above the average maturity level for their age. It's hard to judge a group of people that aren't all on the same level of maturity.

pwned.png

It's dolomite, baby!

Dark matter - Each pound of which weighs over ten thousand pounds.

wow you are the man. I posted something just like this a while ago on the rs rants.. You know what i got? A bunch of ppl saying why have blood and gore, thats stupid.... no need for a filter.....what you dont want a filter cuz u think its cool to curse? all that Junk..

Just a bunch of kids wanting to keep the game all little. It would be so much better if pking you acutally HURT someone! LIKE WTF you just swing u hear a sound like a bird or something and then they just bow down. I noticed the lesser demon thing too, i was wondering what that was all about. The only blood that there is in rs is the axe's on the end [i think its still there] and when you were torn up clothes i think theres a little on your legs or soemthing.

I just read a post above me how they help out the noobies so much. What is up with the here have free runes and a shield and sword thing? Throwing that in, noobies thing that this game is more giving then earning. I remember ive gotten hacked cuz i didnt know about recoveries, and now its announced all over from the stronghold. They even made a new random to remind you about it. And what about the bank pins? if they had it earlier id prolyl be up a couple k's

i also hate [ im doing it now as i type this] how to get a skill leveled you have to brutally kill all the fun out of it. Ok lets see, 67 range, not high but not horrible i guess... Lets see.... i need to kill 5,000 lessers to get to 80 range or soemthing. Ok talk about lame and 80 range is hardly even that good. 99 smithing requires like 60mil on iron bars to get from 20 to 99. how is anyone supposed to do that, and iron is the best for your price bars wise..

Basically they should intertwine what ive seen positive in other mmorpgs into Runescape and have them be optional so the young can have their way and the others can play a real game.

Toggle on and off filter--from WoW

Maybe mild dura--Conquer Online

Better pking system--RSC!!! CO WoW

Download patches--CO

More gore

Less kiddish emotions

No stupid holliday events [ stupid as in so dam kiddish like helping santa and the easter bunny =\ ]

With downloading patches, thos little kids could be stuck on how to dl it maybe. The filter has to go, with it it ruins all the games, Dura to make things more realistic [maybe not like barrows, but maybe more like 4x the barrows dura]

words

Sounds like you dislike almost every aspect of the game including the fundamentals, maybe its not for you, maybe suggesting they change nearly every aspect of the game should be a clue that you don't like the game and probably shouldn't play. Tbh the leveling can be tedious in RS but (not saying this as a positive or negative) younger players are more likely to become disillusioned with the game and start playing something with easier/more tangible goals/achievements such as say WoW. Maybe there are a lot of young players playign RS, but i'd imagine few play for more than a month or two.

I said this a lot earlier and I'll say it again because i can, to gain high skills requires dedication and determination if you don't want to do it I'd suggest another game, rather than saying lols this game is crap make it better by making everything quicker and with a different control system cause thats leet.

today is my 18th bday w00tz! ... and i pretty much try to ignore anyone except when on crandor, cause noobs tend to stay away from crandor. honestly though, this article is true. there's no community, everyones out for themselves. seriously, the friends i grew up with when i was a noob... there's nothing like that except maybe some of the pure community. but even the high levels are kids nowadays... i was in the duel arena when a lv 95 kept trying to start a duel with no range, mage, or melee... which is bullocks. i'd go all emo like this dude and quit but frankly i just am too bored too often.

edit: this sounded more blunt than i meant it to be. there are still communities but not open ones, more like exclusive clicks. it's not like you meet as many people when mining or something as you did back when i started. mainly people just try to pick fights.... which is lame.

edit: this will probly make people mad but i think n00bs need to die in the wild. n00bs need to get killed at dark wizzards. i was like 11 when i started (yeah i'm a dirty dog for not being 13, get over it) and i cried the first time i died... and got over it. i lost the trimmed wiz hat that i ran ess for hours...and got over it... now idc if i die, and i'm glad i learned lessons about the wild and the big monsters the hard way.

barrowsmcw,gothicsk8er0.gif

gothicsk8er0.gif

Just the other day I was thinking that Jagex was dumbing-down Runescape. It's a bit embarrassing really that the rantings of a minority who got scammed or died because of their own naivity, allowed the game to become so simple.

I got scammed once because I didn't check the second trade window, it never happened again. I died when I wandered into the stone circle south of Varrock, I was more careful next time. I bought 250 merrentil unids for 1k each :oops: never again!

This is (RS) life, cr4p happens and you get over it.

Nowadays I wonder if there will be a politically correct statement when I log in. "Play nice please" "For reasons of health & Safety...." blah, blah, blah.

Jagex, if you're listening, give us some credit! Stop treating us like idiots!

Rozanante.png

Rozanante.png

Still the proud owner of Quest Cape since 8th December 2007

All skills used to be 70 or higher. (Dang you Dungeoneering. Oh wait, it's not a skill...)

Drops: Whips 8, Black Mask 8, D/Skirt 1, D/Spear 1, D/Shield Left Half 1, D/Boots 12, G/Maul 4, Range Ammy 1, Hexcrest 1.

Just the other day I was thinking that Jagex was dumbing-down Runescape. It's a bit embarrassing really that the rantings of a minority who got scammed or died because of their own naivity, allowed the game to become so simple.

This is gibberish.

The steps to combat scammers don't make the game any more "simple". They just put some of the griefers out of business, people who just make RS an unpleasant place to be.

And what would be so wrong with messages encouraging people to be nicer players? In fact, I am writing up a lengthy set of pages for my site on that exact topic -- how to be a constructive player and how to deal with others who are not.

It's a game -- it's supposed to be fun. Dealing with nastiness and scammers is not fun. One of the reasons I am here and no longer on the RS forums is that I got tired of dealing with nasty players, and that's the case for many other regulars as well.

~q

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

as far as i can remember rs classic had its shares of enoying kids aswell.

good points though. Would be great with worlds without al these cheesy things and alot harder rules. Im still longin for a place were you can get players banned for beeingenoying or rude even if thay aint "offensive"

This is gibberish.

The steps to combat scammers don't make the game any more "simple". They just put some of the griefers out of business, people who just make RS an unpleasant place to be.

And what would be so wrong with messages encouraging people to be nicer players? In fact, I am writing up a lengthy set of pages for my site on that exact topic -- how to be a constructive player and how to deal with others who are not.

It's a game -- it's supposed to be fun. Dealing with nastiness and scammers is not fun. One of the reasons I am here and no longer on the RS forums is that I got tired of dealing with nasty players, and that's the case for many other regulars as well.

~q

I think you have misunderstood my comments. :shame:

FYI I'm not a nasty player, quite the opposite. Go flame somewhere else. :-#

Rozanante.png

Rozanante.png

Still the proud owner of Quest Cape since 8th December 2007

All skills used to be 70 or higher. (Dang you Dungeoneering. Oh wait, it's not a skill...)

Drops: Whips 8, Black Mask 8, D/Skirt 1, D/Spear 1, D/Shield Left Half 1, D/Boots 12, G/Maul 4, Range Ammy 1, Hexcrest 1.

At this point i want to grab you (any will do) by the head and scream at you until one of us dies. I don't see how warning signs detract from the game in any way, i don't see why warning people of dangerous situations is attracting 8 year olds to play. None of you are actually making valid points anymore(i.e:showing any correlation or plausible link), those stopped 3-4 pages ago, and now its just recycled crap thats barely understandable.

This is gibberish.

~q

I think you have misunderstood my comments. :shame:

FYI I'm not a nasty player, quite the opposite. Go flame somewhere else. :-#

I understood your comments perfectly. And I didn't call you a nasty player.

~q

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Some of the things in this article are correct, however, I disagree with the warning things. I like the warnings. I don't like exploring places I knew to be safe (Example: Blurite Cave) and finding that there are new skeletal wyverns and I end up losing my armor and gold and weapons. Also, if you have such a problem with it, simply go to the Doomsayer and get them turned off. Also, I am 13 years old, and I remember the good ol' days when RSC was all that was available. I've been playing for some time. But when I was on RSC I had never even heard of the word "Noob". I still don't know what the hell "Choob" "Floob" "Chub" or "Froob" is! I Believe that you are right about the maturity of the game has gone down but it still is a good game. (Why do you think we're able to turn chat off?)

Just about everything he says is true imo, a while back, there was this sudden burst of youngsters from my school and neighbourhood that started swarming RS, I actually got flooded with 'free stuff requests' in real life as well, and the overall level of maturity in runescape is just below 12 right now, I quit a few months ago, gave away just about everything, because I actually didn't feel like I was doing something special anymore. I used to be a merchant, with phats and everything, but I got hacked, so I figured I'd be a skiller, but EVERYWHERE you go, and EVERY skill you try, there's 15 youngsters there swearing at each other for taking their rock or demon, even at lvl 105 I had trouble finding a nice spot, and more importantly, a nice person to share the spot with, for without them, I couldn't mine my way to lvl 30. Runescape just isn't the game it used to be, it really did have this amazing feeling about it, with it's nice atmosphere, overall pretty friendly people or just people minding their own business, and things just pretty much remained the way they were, in my later days I had trouble keeping up with the updates, I didn't have enough time to do what I always do AND try out the updates and see which were worth it. I switched to WoW and found a cool guild with cool guys, all around or over my age, well over the avg 14 yr olds that swarm runescape, and it's great, its just what every game needs. Everything becomes fun to do with friendly people or the right thing to reward you, like it was amazing getting full dragon for the first time, but those things just aren't around anymore, or at least, I didn't see any.

I'm kind of having trouble explaining what's my problem, or I feel like I am, but I hope someone sees what I mean.

I think more young people are playing because, naturally, young people have more free time. There is no evil behind it, that's just the way it is. If you don't want to talk to young people, turn p chat off.

Post 666 :ohnoes: :ohnoes:

lalalasig2.png

great article. ive been playing since rsc came out. im 21 now. i cant stand the young who play. being the childish, immature comments when just sitting around fishing or trading in a bank, so i just turn chat off, to the brats who beg for free stuff, constantly say they've been hacked, lost millions, and beg for more, or those that insult ya, try to just get under ur skin. and after playing for so long, i have a decent built character, lvl 98. and i cant stand it when there are 5-8 year olds that spend so much time on here, they max out all their skills have billions and the best epuipment, and still act like noobs. it ruins this game. im sure there are many who agree.

deatharch86.png

I played RS for about 3 years, quit last february cuz i couldnt stand how bad it had become. The entire game is being dumbed down cuz the kidz dont want to actualy have to think about what they are doing in the game.

Few new players are willing to honestly try and get beter at the game and would rather beg for stuff. I cant go into a town on any world for more than 5 min without hearing some sort of scamm going on.

Retired: 02/14/07
UnRetired: 05/27/16
konnichiwa ^.^

[hide]

What an unprecedented load of BS

Some games do quite well, and their game flourishes with action, adventure and a feeling that you really make a difference in the game. These games usually have a grand community of mature players.

Some games have a perfect community? Alas no, I play both WoW and RS and other MMO's NONE of them have a completely mature community - "noobs" exist everywhere if you excuse the term and RS has its fair share of them - like so many threads in the rants forum are told +ignore solves the problem of immaturity straight off - its just two clicks.

Jagex took this turn for the young as they started increasing turning their game into profit

Ok, said this many times now - Jagex = company, companies exist to make profit, the world of business is not full of benevolence and empathy, don't like? Go communist.

RuneScape lacked in blood and gore of any sort, so as to keep the game PG to its newly found young audience.

Did RS ever have blood and gore? :-s I'm not sure if it did but I think its a pretty big step to say it was never put in to keep the game for young ones - remember the age of joining is 13+, many 12+ games in the UK have blood/gore with no problems - maybe the Gowers just don't want it in there?

Stronghold of Security

Was a great update for f2p, they got a whole new dungeon out of it, with 4 new monsters, 3 new items and a 10k prize - so it had an underlying theme of security - its now used by many high level members (especially for slayer - Axe man Jack has even noted its use in his famous guide). Hardly an update for all the kiddies.

The quests of RuneScape are simple to do

quest points please? You ever try MEP2 or MM without a guide? Do the quests how Jagex intended and you will notice a severe rise in difficulty.

The themes of the quests never get too scary, and when they do, they always have a happy ending for the little tykes of RuneScape.

Ok here we go....

[hide]Desert treasure: you end up releasing a power servant to the god of evil from his eternal prison

Hazeel's mark: you resurrect an equally similar demon followed by a cult of black cloaked priests.

Devious minds: you manufacture a weapon for a shadowy stranger which is later used to murder two priests and steal a holy relic

Regicide: you kill a king, only to find out you have been betrayed and have in fact just murdered the good guy[/hide]

These are just the ones of the top of my head (full QP ftw) and I'm sure I could find more given time.

last time I checked, demons didnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t howl

I'm sorry, when did you write the rules of fantasy? I could imagine a demon howling, or at least giving a damn good shout. The graphics are improving, just not to your personal preference - dragons are a great example as another poster said.

In the quest Demon Slayer, youÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢re told to get a powerful sword to ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬Åvanquish the wicked demon!ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

Recksash.png

Politics,n. Strife of interests masquerading as a conflict of principles. -Ambrose Bierce

Barrow drops:

Verac's Helm

I quit RuneScape for numerous reasons, one of them being the level of stupidity that the game has acquired. People want a game with challenge... ThatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s what they really enjoy. WhatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s the fun in constant clicking to achieve levels? It doesnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t take brains and it doesnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t take technique. ItÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s just click after click after click. RuneScape might seem like a huge game, thatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s all great and all with their easily accessible java graphics, but is it really? Is the accessibility a good enough price to pay for the slacking community? People become obsessed with RuneScape because of its simplicity, and because its so easy to gain achievements.

thats exactly why I quit!

FRONTPAGE.png

{DeviantART}{Last.Fm}{Join Sublime GFX, great community for artists!}

Back to RuneScape, Again.Avatar by Brian The Great