Random things you have always wanted to know

Craiglowery

Why do girls wear short shorts if they don't want you noticing they're legs? I got slapped for looking at a girls legs once >.< I asked her that question and she called me sketchy :wall:

Also, why do girls walk around in a bikini but won't walk around in underwear??

Lol,getting impatient are we? :P

It is a pretty stupid think IMO for girls to get mad when people look at their legs/breasts and they purposfully had them on display. Anyway, not to sound mean or anything speedofsound, but the reason she got mad is she was showing off her legs... but not to you -.-

Girls will often dress up, do their hair, etc, to attract "this one cute guy". You know, they have a huge crush on this guy but their gender role in our culture is "you can't ask someone to date you, they have to ask you". So she dresses very revealing, probably more revealing then she feels comfortable with, to try and get the attention of this guy. She gets pissed off as the day goes on since the guy she likes doesn't notice her but all the other guys she isn't interested in are all enjoying the view.

As for the bikini/underwear deal? Girls match "underwear" to "bedroom". They have been taught since they were young girls through tales of princesses and Barbie that want to marry prince charming and only he will see you in your bedroom. Sure nowadays many girls get laid every other week by different guys, but I think there is still a strong subconcsious notion of "only my prince charming can see my underwear, since married people do that" Bikinis are, well there the exact same thing as underwear, but they not "underwear" so its okay for guys the see it.

...holy crap, I just was in the mind of a girl and I think I understood it :uhh:

(I blame Misfile!)

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh goodie a question thread...Ok, this is going to be a question which someone will spend hours trying to figure out/find. And there is another which I'm curious about.

If your brain was programmed into a computer, how much space would it take up? This includes memory, every bit of knowledge, unreached parts of memory and knowledge that you cannot remember but are embedded in your brain....etc.

What would somebody's IQ be if they used all 100% of their brainpower. :shock: The average human uses ~7.2%. Albert Einstein's was ~9%.

calciumpixelsigil3.png

Click my signature for my blog!

What would somebody's IQ be if they used all 100% of their brainpower. :shock: .

Dunno. They'd be dead in the next thirty seconds though.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Oh goodie a question thread...Ok, this is going to be a question which someone will spend hours trying to figure out/find. And there is another which I'm curious about.

If your brain was programmed into a computer, how much space would it take up? This includes memory, every bit of knowledge, unreached parts of memory and knowledge that you cannot remember but are embedded in your brain....etc.

What would somebody's IQ be if they used all 100% of their brainpower. :shock: The average human uses ~7.2%. Albert Einstein's was ~9%.

A question which someone will spend hours trying to figure find? <.< Clearly you underestimate the knowledge base that is tip.it ::'

An average brain comtains "terrabytes of infomation" as my physiology professor once put it. He never specified the actual number but I would guess between 3 and 12 terrabytes.

As for the brain percentage? Argh! Why don't these freaking rumors die! Lol, but seriously, I want to punch whoever came up with the "only use 10%" crap, who probably did it so he could make a successful chain letter or 'amazing facts' that aren't really amazing facts, just stupid assumptions. No offence to any of you of course, I belived all these rumors myself for the longest time. Anyway, an average human uses 100% of his brain. Fact. Find my a credible source that says "7.2%" and I'll give you my blue party hat ::'

Perhaps the dissillusion behind this is the fact that you never really use 100% at once. Imagine you are sitting down, day dreaming. Now imagine you are sprinting over a horribly rocky coast and as you sprint as fast as you can you also have to look down to see where a stable rock is that you can place you foot on in the next 1/10th of a second. Now imagine your sitting down, figuring out a Rubix cube in your head.

Each of these 3 tasks would have used different parts of your brain.. Daydreaming uses the Cortex and about 20% of your processung power, solving the rubix cube uses the frontal lobes and about the same percentage of your processing power. Finally sprinting over rocks uses your brain stem and thalmus, and about 99% of your processing power :D Sure parts of your brain aren't active, like your memory or higher thought processes, but your conscious and subconsios are completly occupied. Try it sometime, if your running as fast as you can over truly rocky dangerous terrain you are incapable of thinking about anything. You can't understand what people are saying, and you couldn't even solve 1+1 if you tried. Pretty cool actually.

Anyway, yea, you use do use 100% of your brain, just never at once.

Terrabytes, I thought it would have been way more than that. But anyway.

The brain thing, you are right in a way, but you never use all 100% of that frontal lobe or whatever part of brain it is. You use what knowledge can jump between the gaps of nerve cells or whatever in your brain, when they jump between this minute gap, that's another minute fraction of your brain used. You generally use that part of your brain, spread all over it, but barely any of it is actually used. If you get what I mean.

It's like, a load of wires jumbled out, one goes in, one goes out, with a load of randomness in the middle. To get to the end, they need to connect. They do this by using your brain power, once they connect, they get far enough so they can get to another jump, so in the end, they are all either connected, or very close. Mostly they are very close, so you can repeat it again, but it isn't in your immediate memory.

Mind = Complex.

calciumpixelsigil3.png

Click my signature for my blog!

Not quite sure what you're getting at there ca2theone, many parts of the nerves aren't used? Um, yea that's how the nerve works. You know you only use 5% of your muscle as well, the sacromeres are a tiny part of the sarcoplasm. I don't see why everyone is so eager to make the brain all magical like, its just an organ. You know our kidneys are pretty amazing too, I hear we only use 40% of those. :-$

But seriously, if you have any actual sources that put credit to this myth I would love to see them.

Oh, Trapical, perhaps you can help. How does memory work on a biochemical level? Is there some sort of recognised neuron firing sequence or pattern?

Anyway, aside from that, what did you think of my little genetics 101 spiel regarding meiosis, independant assortment and crossing over a few pages back? :oops: :P

Oh, Trapical, perhaps you can help. How does memory work on a biochemical level? Is there some sort of recognised neuron firing sequence or pattern?

I can help you there. Most "memory" is kept in the hippocampus (sp?). Memories are formed when synapses are formed, that happens when a thought is fired through the nerves many times, so it leaves a lasting footprint of sorts.

Scientists have found memories are dissected and sorted for storage, then reassembled for recollection.

They also converted 3 mouse memories into binary...

---

My question: if everything has a purpose, what is that of the cockroach?

siggyanimatoin5dtbp3.gif

There are 10 types of people: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Appreciate Bacteria! It's the only form of culture some people have.

The brain's right side controls the body's left, so only lefties are in their right mind.

School!

Well I have a few questions,

1.Why can no-one else see the fairies? :?

2.If every nation is borrowing money, who from? Where does all the money come from? is everyone poor!?

3.Why can't I walk upside down?

1. No-one else (you've asked) smokes cannabis.

2. The Government usually borrows money from the Central Bank (or whichever entity prints money in your country), (this being a big cause of inflation).

3. You just haven't practised enough. If you had better agility/balance, you'd be able to.

---------

Lol kenshin.

One more before I go upnorth for the weekend :pray:

Say you spin a plate on your finger, the outside of it is going faster then the inside of it right? So the same with planets?

Nope. With a spinning plate, the outside is "bound together" with the inside part, so, the outside must travel much faster in order to have the same angular speed as the rest of the plate. However, Mercury and Neptune aren't bound together, and thus they don't have to travel at the same angular speed.

In fact, when you are talking about satellites and their orbits, it works the other way around. The nearer the orbiting object is, the faster it travels. For example, Mercury travels at a speed of 9.5 AU's per year, while Neptune only travels at 1.1 AU/year.

------

Edited out the "stronger arms" text, accordingly to Reb's post.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

3. You just haven't practised enough. If you had stronger arms and better agility/balance, you'd be able to.

You don't need strong arms to do handstands (known from personal experience :oops: ). You just need to have good balance; balancing yourself properly almost seems to make your weight cancel itself out :-k .

So ya, if you want to get handstands down, get headstands/tripods down first, then have someone help you do handstands by holding your legs in place. Once you get to the point where you can do it safely on your own, it's just practice practice practice :P .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I can help you there. Most "memory" is kept in the hippocampus (sp?). Memories are formed when synapses are formed, that happens when a thought is fired through the nerves many times, so it leaves a lasting footprint of sorts.

Scientists have found memories are dissected and sorted for storage, then reassembled for recollection.

---

(1) My question: if everything has a purpose, what is that of the cockroach?

Ahh, thanks for that.

(1) Easy. To exist and reproduce.

Warri0r, I already replied to your genetics post, you must have missed it ;)

I suppose I should ask a question, think it's only fair that I get one answered in return. Hmm...

Whenever you get something you really want, you soon loose all interest for it. For example, someone who really desires an iPod will get the feeling that their life will be so much the better once they get one. However, in most cases after a week or two the person no longer feels the same about it. Sure the iPod has it's uses but its no longer that thing that you dream about.

My question: I have yet to find something that breaks this rule. My one wish is that love is an exception. Is it possible that you can love a person just as much on their 90th birthday as is it was the day you first met? I ask this with the MCAT in less than 30 hours, I have been studying since May and I am afraid I may have done so not simply to get into Med School, but to impress a girl. Was my summer spent for not?

Ah, ok, I did miss it. #-o :P

Yeah, adding the law of segregation would have probably tipped me off the edge. Too much stuff to regurgitate whilst keeping my brain intact. :XD: And as for being in an odd order, not to worry, good thing I'm not planning on being a teacher. :P

I suppose I should ask a question, think it's only fair that I get one answered in return. Hmm...

Whenever you get something you really want, you soon loose all interest for it. For example, someone who really desires an iPod will get the feeling that their life will be so much the better once they get one. However, in most cases after a week or two the person no longer feels the same about it. Sure the iPod has it's uses but its no longer that thing that you dream about.

My question: I have yet to find something that breaks this rule. My one wish is that love is an exception. Is it possible that you can love a person just as much on their 90th birthday as is it was the day you first met? I ask this with the MCAT in less than 30 hours, I have been studying since May and I am afraid I may have done so not simply to get into Med School, but to impress a girl. Was my summer spent for not?

Haven't you heard that one song by some country guy I forget? might have been toby keith or slan Jackson I have no clue.....its called "living on love" i think, but its about these old people who can barely exist,, cant see, or do much, but they still love each other more than anything. However, that is just a song.....

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

well, love and physical possession are quite different (unless you only have the gf/bf to show it off or because it's cool, etc., then it is the same). When you get something, it accompanies a sense of novelty, one of those pleasure hormones responds to it. once the novelty wears off, so does the hormone. Another hormone (many, actually) deals with true affection <3: , such as that between a brother and sister ( :thumbsup: ) or an owner and a pet. You tend to be less excited about them, but still, love is love.

hope that helps!

siggyanimatoin5dtbp3.gif

The brain's right side controls the body's left, so only lefties are in their right mind.

School!

---

Ahh, thanks for that.

true, that is what they need to do, but how does it affect its environment? unless somehow it was known we would pollute the world billions of years after the creation of the cockroach, as they would die offf if we would stop producing garbage. almost nothing eats them, they don't eat or do anything useful...

maybe it's right up there with the appendix....

siggyanimatoin5dtbp3.gif

School!

---

Ahh, thanks for that.

true, that is what they need to do, but how does it affect its environment? unless somehow it was known we would pollute the world billions of years after the creation of the cockroach, as they would die offf if we would stop producing garbage. almost nothing eats them, they don't eat or do anything useful...

maybe it's right up there with the appendix....

When almost nothing eats them, that means something does. AKA, they have a purpose. To be eatten by certain animals.

me and kashi are running for president in '08.

Actually that is a complete myth. While the average brain does not utilise it's full potential, it does not use such a tiny amount - if it did you would be considered severely mentally handicapped thats if you were able live at all.

The brainpower myth is thought to have originated from "pyschics", "mind readers" and other similar fraudsters to justify and substantiate their claims and powers.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

Ok, I got one: why do people not call a homosexual man's mate his "boyfriend", they call him his "partner", but for heterosexuals they dont?

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Well I have a few questions,

1.Why can no-one else see the fairies? :?

2.If every nation is borrowing money, who from? Where does all the money come from? is everyone poor!?

1. No-one else (you've asked) smokes cannabis.

2. The Government usually borrows money from the Central Bank (or whichever entity prints money in your country), (this being a big cause of inflation).

3. You just haven't practised enough. If you had better agility/balance, you'd be able to.

Oh my, you assume I smoke Cannabis :shock: that must mean everyone but me smokes cannabis. :-k Odd one out yet again... And with the bank thing I meant between nations, I.e. America borrowing from X and England borrowing from X, X borrowing from England, America, and Y. :ohnoes:

How would you know if cannabis causes the sudden influx of fairies to existence? :-k

Edit: I wasn't reffering to "handwalking" I can do that, I meant walking on one's feet upside down like a fly :D Anyway I already know the answer I would just like to have the ability :D

What is the worlds biggest rubber band ball?

Ive just seen ones that say WORLDS BIGGEST RUBBER BAND BALL!!, but there are quite a few of them.

I'm sure you have seen it, but for anyone else who wants to know,

esidfklg.jpg

Tbfgraphx14

Happy to find I'm not the only one who eats glass.