Should Runescape go back to being 13 and up?

foodmanfood1

I think it should, many of the people who made this game a succes are getting tired of the G evrything, from monster design to quests to anything! The game is going down hill, sooner or later Jagex will be making their money off of 8 year olds. Once that happens, the little kids who called us noobs for no reason, or expected free stuff just because we were a higher level than them will destroy eachother with their mindless insults and cruel personalitys. Once thats over, well there will still be people to play the game, but by far fewer than now, mabe once this happens the teens and adults could come back and fix Runescape. It will take a lot of riots and time, but in the end, we might be able to take Runescape back from the children!!!

Well there you have it! :D

I don't like fun, it upsets me.-- Marilyn Manson

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if it is intended for 13 or over, then, why not make it look like a game intended for people 13 or over! Parents of younger children cant complain if their children lied about their age and were exposed to i dunno anything their parents found unsuitable.

I don't like fun, it upsets me.-- Marilyn Manson

That is what i completely agree to. ever since runescape became assosiated with miniclip, young children started joining, then telling all of their friends about it. I once saw a post on the rsof that went something like this: mod someone is really nice. he does a good job understanding us children. I do not know any teenagers who would call themselves children. Jagex should definitely change the game to make it more 13+, instead of rated G.

Amaranth_GTO.png

Okay then, let's add blood, subtile sexual jokes, guns, and things of the sort. I'd like it, I won't oppose :P

So.. Now what?

Jagex owns the game, what we decide doesn't even matter, they decide =/

Jagex, mr tea spoon wants Rs to be a naughty game! Now we wait I suppose?

The last rated Teen game I played (for ages 13+, at least in the U.S.) it had slight blood, a few profanities sprinkled throughout, and a small bit of innuendo jokes.

Compare to that to RuneScape. :-k

But since it is Jagex's game, we can't change that. Nor can we change the fact that it's so easily accessible for those under 13 to play it.

Unless they required a credit card number to play (even if you were F2P) but I know 16 year olds that don't have credit cards yet, so what about all those over 13? :-s

Unfortunately, there's no way of actually blocking a certain age group, since you can just put "13-17" as your age group when it denies the under 13 option. Easy as pie.

neraftdfw1.jpg

Sig credit goes to ThruItAll. :D

simpleholyhandgrenade.gif

I don't think adult content would make the little kids go away. They'd be just "OMgzz blood! Awesome!"

Thanks for supplying my new signature quote! :mrgreen:

Quest cape obtained at combat level 83, march 07.

I don't think adult content would make the little kids go away. They'd be just "OMgzz blood! Awesome!"

Thanks for supplying my new signature quote! :mrgreen:

:)

2480+ total

jagex should state it more like in the subscription form since adults wont trust there kids with credit cards, i dont care if there on free world there just cloggin up the game and if they cant loggin then they'll have to wait till there 13.

or if they brought out dna records (been in news in Uk) then ppl could type in there name and if there under 13 they can not create an account on that computer or connection till there 13 lol

jack_harwk.png

well, think about it... the kid plays the 13+ version of runescape, his parents see him playing it (with blood and the like), they'd blame the company, regardless of the fact that their kid lied about their age to sign up. it's what happens to games these days, parents say games like dead rising and the godfather game are bad influences to children, even if there's a label saying "not for people under __".

a kid could go on addicting games and find a lot worse...

maybe if the members version was the one with 13+ content, it would control who gets in to see said content. wouldn't be good to the free players though, but as it stands, the only thing remotely 13+ was killing the unicorn during underground pass.

and thats wats wrong with people and socciety today the kid lied about hus age and the company still get sued and there are worse things out there that are esaier to find. how would them make it imposible for 12 and under kids to get into members?

quest cape achived july 31 2007

all lvls 60+ 9-23-07

1700+ total

lotrking1010.png

lotrking1010.png

remember that like most companies, jagex is profit driven, they cater to the players so that they will become members and give jagex thier money, regardless of the age of the players

4l7cpyo.jpg

You probably don't understand my sig, but if you do, I salute you...

To the people who say that a child who is under 13 will have their parents sue Runescape, then there is no basis because it is the child who has broken Runescape's Terms and Conditions.

If you are under 13 years old, you must not create an account... And the game difficulty level is for teenagers and older...

This right here voids any argument a parent might have, as they cannot place an argument without admitting their child broke the terms and conditions.

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

Officially reached 100 Combat at 1:33PM EST, June 14, 2007

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat

• 1 month later...

1st point: The game is suppose to be 13+. The kids below that age simply lie about their age.

2nd point: Creating more violence and profanity isn't going to make all the younger kids go away. All it will do is maybe get some parents get mad at jagex and upset many people (including me if I stil played) that are ages 13 and older that liked the peaceful version of runescape.

3rd point: I was 12 when I started playing...no one ever thought I was obnoxious or complained about me. There are many mature kids below age 13.

4th point: It's not just kids below 8 years old that are obnoxious and call people noobs, many people and even adults are jerks on runescape too.

Rune Scape was never 13+ in my oppinion. It' s just a relaxing game where people relax and have fun. Not to sit there and watch gallons of blood pour out of your opponent.

RSN:Mico1311 Combat: 82 Highest skill: Fishing 75 Playing time: From around August 2003

The guy in my avatar is Veso, a comedian mastermind.

A lot of games are 13+ and do a good job at keeping it that way, without any particular care.

The things we must tackle is, what makes all the kiddies go to Rs?

Browser-based, the kiddies dont even need to be intelligent enough to install a program. Furthermore, a lot of kids play Runescape at school because it is browser based, and come to play Runescape at home aswell, because their schoolmates play it aswell.

Mini-clip, Jagex backstabbed us. My dumb 6 yrs old cousin plays miniclip games since he was 4-5.

The graphics somewhat attract children. Crude, realist graphics, would make kids less likely to play Runescape in my opinion.

Easy signing up, too easy. Now, the kiddies don't even need to be intelligent enough to create an email address, or go through an email activation, they don't even need to input a specific birthdate. A lot of games ask you for your birthdate when creating a new character on an account, to be sure it's your real birthdate, since you wouldn't remember the bogus one you input in the account signup. That can turn a lot of idiots down. Also, a lot of signups ask for real name, occupation, verification codes, etc, those things can confuse the little kids and prevent them to register. Rs registration used to require all those things, they changed it after rs2.

New dumb ads. Yay cartoon characters -.-

The website is very easy to navigate, which means more idiots are more likely to find how to register. A lot of games have the "register" or "sign up" bottom rather small, somewhere near the logging screen. It requires some sort of intelligence to find it, and understand that the words "sign up" or "register" mean to create an account. On the rs website, the "create an account" button is clear, and huge, and add that to the simplicity of the signing up.

Playing the game is easy. No technical problem like in programs that require downloading. I can count countless technical problems I've had when downloading games, but I've solved them all, but some 11 yrs old wouldn't be able to do that. Some kids would probably have no idea how to download a client, patch the game, create a character, and so on.

Runescape requires no brains to play. A lot of games have a ton of classes to play, a ton of classes' builds. You gotta put a lot of thought into your character build, or you screw up. In rs you put everything into strength and you are safe, woohoo? Skills are a little more complicated, and most of those idiots don't raise them much.

That's all I can think of right now. Rs being filled with young people is a combinason of many unfortunate factors, and jagex making the situation worse by simplifing everything to maximise income.

2480+ total

Kids logs on

Kid see offensive content

Mom comes in and catchs kid

Mom Calls Jagex and SCREAMS and YELLS at the poor J mod

J Mod cries

So they want to avoid that and also 50% of Memebers is paying 8 year olds. So Jagex wants money too. They have NO way to get your true age.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Since when was RuneScape ever 13 and up? Oh, you think that just because they put a little warning and a drop-down menu to determine players' true age is going to make the game 13 and up? Get real. And no, blood won't make it teenage; that'd just make it have blood in the game.

The only thing that would make this place a true 13 and up area would be to enforce COPPA. This way, Jagex can identify just who is what age.

Besides, where's the verifiable proof that Miniclip actually brought this game down? Show me that before you ever complain about Miniclip doing anything.

[Jagex] ha NO way to get your true age.

Public Disclosures

When operators want to disclose a child's personal information to third parties or make it publicly available (for example, through a chat room or message board), the sliding scale requires them to use a more reliable method of consent, including:

getting a signed form from the parent via postal mail or facsimile;

accepting and verifying a credit card number in connection with a transaction;

taking calls from parents, through a toll-free telephone number staffed by trained personnel;

email accompanied by digital signature;

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Kids logs on

Kid see offensive content

Mom comes in and catchs kid

Mom Calls Jagex and SCREAMS and YELLS at the poor J mod

J Mod cries

So they want to avoid that and also 50% of Memebers is paying 8 year olds. So Jagex wants money too. They have NO way to get your true age.

she can yell all she wants her kid lied about his ageits his fault not jagex

quest cape achived july 31 2007

all lvls 60+ 9-23-07

1700+ total

lotrking1010.png

lotrking1010.png

Sadly, you realize that there is no way for JAGeX to check how old you are. Perhaps an IQ test, something that someone only in grade eight and up or so could answer properly? Of course obtaining an answer sheet would be quite easy, but it would delay not only macroers making new accounts, but also eight year olds who say "I don't want to do all this!" and leave.

[English translation needed]