YouTube, BBC iPlayer end up costing UK consumers money

BlueLancer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6944176.stm

The explosion in popularity of online video could lead to increases in the cost of broadband for UK consumers.

Internet services providers, such as Tiscali, say that the raft of recently launched on-demand services will "undoubtedly" congest the network.

Upgrades to the net could be needed to ensure services such as the BBC iPlayer continue to work properly, with costs passed on to the consumer, they say.

Alternatively, the ISPs say they would have to limit access to services.

So ISP's can sell and market broadbands under slogans like "get 8mb per second blazing fast internet access" as long as the customers don't actually use that bandwidth? What did they expect, all their customers to be 70-year old pensioneers who read their email once a week? If you buy a high speed internet connection, you have the right to use it. It's the ISP's fault for not having enough capacity as promised.

This is sick. I hope UK internet users will switch away from ISP's that raise your monthly fees because of this.

What's next? Bus companies telling businesses like Fujitsu and Nokia: "Hey guys... We thought to tell you we hate the fact you have so many employees that use our buses coming to work every morning, they are forcing us to buy new equipment. So we're going to double the ticket prices or you can stop using our bus lines."

Actually I understand why they would do that. I wouldn't be surprised if soon the cost for internet will be determined by bandwith usage instead of only a fixed cost. I myself download/stream quite a lot, about 5 GB per month I guess, and if you compare that number to about 200 MB per month a few years ago, then it's no surprising the companies are complaining about the costs.

I'm more surprised as to why this is news. You just can't expect profit-based companies to be lead by happy-go-lucky altruists.

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

Actually I understand why they would do that. I wouldn't be surprised if soon the cost for internet will be determined by bandwith usage instead of only a fixed cost. I myself download/stream quite a lot, about 5 GB per month I guess, and if you compare that number to about 200 MB per month a few years ago, then it's no surprising the companies are complaining about the costs.

I'm more surprised as to why this is news. You just can't expect profit-based companies to be lead by happy-go-lucky altruists.

you only use 5 gigs a month? how is that even possible in this day and age..

Tk5SF.png

You would expect them to of done the correct market research to know what the average bandwidth usage would be and to set their original prices accourding to that.
iteme3721.jpg

You would expect them to of done the correct market research to know what the average bandwidth usage would be and to set their original prices accourding to that.

They definitely did, 5 years ago, when streaming videos and downloading wasn't nearly as popular as it is now.

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

Its not the BBC or Youtubes fault its the ISPs for overselling something they don't have and BT for still running an ancient telephone system based on copper wire.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I can't remember much but I think this has something to do with the ISPs themselves. I personally feel that sites like YouTube, and increasingly media organisations such as the BBC and C4 are being scapegoated by ISPs for their own problem. I think Virgin Media have been the only company not to have this problem, and they blame that success on the fact they use fibre optic cables, which from a scientific point of view actually makes a lot of sense to me.

Sounds like it'll only be a matter of time until the companies start using tiered internet where we have to pay premiums if we want to use more than "standard internet."

Basic ($19.95): Email, instant messenger, search engine specially provided by your company.

Intermediate ($24.95):Youtube and flash allowed, streaming movies, etc. Limited to X Gig's per month.

Internet Pro! ($34.95): Unlimited everything! Take advantage on this once in a lifetime deal!

I can't remember much but I think this has something to do with the ISPs themselves. I personally feel that sites like YouTube, and increasingly media organisations such as the BBC and C4 are being scapegoated by ISPs for their own problem. I think Virgin Media have been the only company not to have this problem, and they blame that success on the fact they use fibre optic cables, which from a scientific point of view actually makes a lot of sense to me.

+1.

It is really annoying when any company backstabs you, but jacking up the price after you bought the product.

Now i'm glad I use Virgin Media.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Sounds like it'll only be a matter of time until the companies start using tiered internet where we have to pay premiums if we want to use more than "standard internet."

Basic ($19.95): Email, instant messenger, search engine specially provided by your company.

Intermediate ($24.95):Youtube and flash allowed, streaming movies, etc. Limited to X Gig's per month.

Internet Pro! ($34.95): Unlimited everything! Take advantage on this once in a lifetime deal!

for those prices it seems feasable.. but net neutrality is incredibly important and something we should fight to maintain. Comcast is pulling [cabbage] with bittorent now and it seems this isnt that far off.

http://www.savetheinternet.com

Tk5SF.png

Yep, it seems ComCast is starting to throttle BitTorrent traffic, a huge operator in the States... This is sad, people actually start using their bandwidth, this happens...

Stop crawling the web and start burning rubber with our Performance Plus (8 Mpbs) service! And now with PowerBoostÃÆââââ¬Ã¾Ãââ, our fast connection gets even faster, with an extra burst of speed up to 12 Mbps when youÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢re downloading large files like videos and games.

Not just that, but their price actually rolls up after a few months of service. That's a horrible business practice. After limiting BitTorrent traffic... And usenet groups.. Who the heck will buy a 8Mbps connection anymore.. :-s

Yep, it seems ComCast is starting to throttle BitTorrent traffic, a huge operator in the States... This is sad, people actually start using their bandwidth, this happens...

Stop crawling the web and start burning rubber with our Performance Plus (8 Mpbs) service! And now with PowerBoostÃÆââââ¬Ã¾Ãââ, our fast connection gets even faster, with an extra burst of speed up to 12 Mbps when youÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢re downloading large files like videos and games.

Not just that, but their price actually rolls up after a few months of service. That's a horrible business practice. After limiting BitTorrent traffic... And usenet groups.. Who the heck will buy a 8Mbps connection anymore.. :-s

they limit usenet? wtf is the point in a fast connection when you limit all the fast ways of downloading things

Tk5SF.png