Scores Ill in Peru 'Meteor Crash'

Achilleus

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7001897.stm

Scores ill in Peru 'meteor crash'

Crater site

Hundreds of people in Peru have needed treatment after an object from space - said to be a meteorite - plummeted to Earth in a remote area, officials say.

They say the object left a deep crater after crashing down over the weekend near the town of Carancas in the Andes.

People who visited the scene have been complaining of headaches, vomiting and nausea after inhaling gases.

But some experts have questioned whether it was a meteorite or some other object that landed in Carancas.

"Increasingly we think that people witnessed a fireball, which are not uncommon, went off to investigate and found a lake of sedimentary deposit, which may be full of smelly, methane rich organic matter," said Dr Caroline Smith, a meteorite expert at the London-based Natural History Museum.

"This has been mistaken for a crater."

A team of scientists is on its way to the site to collect samples and verify whether it was indeed a meteorite.

I think there's also a certain psychological fear in the community

Local mayor Nestor Quispe

Can meteorites make you ill?

Geologists have called on the authorities to stop people going near the crash site.

A local journalist, Martine Hanlon, told the BBC experts did not believe the meteor would make anybody sick, but they did think a chemical reaction caused by its contact with the ground could release toxins such as sulphur and arsenic.

An engineer from the Peruvian Nuclear Energy Institute told AFP news agency that no radiation had been detected from the crater. He ruled out any possibility that the fallen object might be a satellite.

I know there is a alot of news threads Atm on Tif forums which are pissing people off, I just thought this kinda thing dosent happen very often ;-)

I am wondering it is really is a meteor, Aliens from outer Space haha :uhh:

Probably just a bug meteor from Klendathu.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Probably just a bug meteor from Klendathu.

Quick! Everyone become terrible actors! Its the only way to fight these things!

bullets, we need lots of bullets....

People: Wow thats horrible.. I hope those people are okay.

Scientists: We must study this and see its effects

Goverment: Oooo! A new chemical warefare toy!

DONT GO TO SLEEP!

Say what you mean and mean what you say because those that matter don't mind, and those that mind don't matter.

I got a very reasonable answer to this:

THE CHUPACABRAS IS BACK RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!11111

That's Mexico... Peru is much more south and has better food. :D

Lol this is true.

As for the news. I'd say its most likely methane being released. What ever it is, you can rest a sure its just a chemical being released from where ever the meteorite came from. Not an alien invasion.

mybest_1.jpg

-All sigs by me.

[My Gallery]

It was probably a re tarded suicide bomber lol ;)
Yes because suicide bombers now have the ability to fly through the sky in a fireball before smacking into the ground? Yep...

It's happened before, but not so many people have become ill.

sig5235ro7.jpg

The Andromeda Strain seems more relevant... :-k

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.