Cowhide costs. (ReOpened)

RayOxide

As such, 100gp per hide is the cost of not wanting to do it ourselves versus wanting the goods right now. It's been the principle of Western society for the past two centuries now; doesn't matter if we want it ourselves, some of us are just too lazy to do it on our own.

Only thing you can do is work for it yourself, but that's dull enough for someone to do; and thus the cycle of having someone else do it for us continues until one of us finally snaps and spends two hours' work doing it on our own.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

The cost of Cowhides originated in F2p worlds. Most f2ps don't really know about the cow paster right above the Windmill, and go to the Cow Paster next to the Chickens, in Lumberidge. It's really crowded there, and I remember when I first started out. It took me 10 minutes to get 3 - 4 cowhides, because it was so crowded. =P

.::Congratulations!::.

I just advanced a spamming level!

Now I need to find a decent Signature.

It takes some time to bank 1k cow hides. f2p is always buying them for crafting.

It's basically because alot of crafters want them and soo few people kill them.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Cow hide prices have been 100 each as long as i can remember, no noob bragged about getting it, they have always been that price and its fair, cow hides are harder to gather then you think..

Should people just work for nothing so your lazy [wagon] doesnt have to do any work? get a clue.

Cow hide prices have been 100 each as long as i can remember, no noob bragged about getting it, they have always been that price and its fair, cow hides are harder to gather then you think..

Should people just work for nothing so your lazy [wagon] doesnt have to do any work? get a clue.

I don't think you read one of my posts. It said 'they wouldn't be hard to get, if they weren't demanded so much.' IMO, They're demanded at 100gp because someone overbought them because they're good for crafting. Then people saw/bragged about it and sold for 100gp. Thus, if noone bragged or anything the price of cowhides probably wouldn't be charged for 100+gp.

I dont need a siggy no moar.

I don't think you read one of my posts. It said 'they wouldn't be hard to get, if they weren't demanded so much.' IMO, They're demanded at 100gp because someone overbought them because they're good for crafting. Then people saw/bragged about it and sold for 100gp. Thus, if noone bragged or anything the price of cowhides probably wouldn't be charged for 100+gp.

100+ = NOTHING when they're concerned it take forever just to get 100 nvm 1k.

^ I never said that it isn't on supply and demand, it's still a very easily gotten item level and chance likewise.

And if you compare it to feathers... I think not! Feathers are quite in demand, but not close to 100 per 10.

If you understand the price is based on supply and demand you will understand why there is no use ranting about what the price is and what you think the price should be.

You claim the price was somehow artificially created by some people. That's complete nonsense. If the cowhides were overpriced, then people would not buy them at 100. However, people are willing to buy them at 100 therefore we must conclude that it is the current price. You must recognize that 100 gp for you, is not the same as 100 gp for someone else. You might think that the price is too high, however the price is only too high for someone like you.

This whole idea about how the buyers were lead to buy cowhides for 100 gp because someone boasted about buying them for that much is completely ridiculous. The price would not have changed because of that.

First off, you are assuming that the price was lower before this "incident". The assumption is totally based on how you claim that "cow hides are too easy to get". That is not enough to conclude that the price is "too high" or "too low" because the price is not solely based on how easy it is to get

Second, cowhides are not as easy to get as you claim. You neglect the time it takes to bank the hides. Also, they must be collected one at a time.

Third, for a lot of people, 100 gp per hide is NOT a lot. This fact demonstrates that not everyone will have the same opinion on what's expensive and what isn't. For every market of a good, there are people who would buy the good only if it falls below a certain price and when the price is high, they don't buy it while others don't mind and would even buy it if, say, the price doubled. Your perception of the market of cowhides is your own personal opinion and you need to include everyone's views to get a better idea of what's happening.

Fourth, the price of 100 gp could simply be based on the fact that cowhides offer an excellent way to train crafting. This is the main determinant of demand in this case. If you increase/decrease the exp you increase/decrease the incentive to buy the cowhides (aka the demand of the cowhides). At that point, by law of demand, price will increase. This shows that the price can increase despite how easy it is to obtain cowhides.

Finally, an obvious solution to this problem in your case is to simply get the cowhides yourselves (and probably even make this your income, since you think they are worth so much and easy to get). But of course you can't because you want to be a lvl 3 skiller? Well that's a non-mandatory limitation that you have imposed on yourself. If you can't get a decent income then don't impose that kind of silly limitation.

Also, the feathers are much easier to obtain. Like I said, you can't compare feathers to cowhides and expect 1 feather to have the same price as 1 cowhide.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

Great. Let's add a cow-hider in lumbridge who sells unlimited cowhides at the price you desire... NOT.

If the price is reduced, what will the many low-levels do to earn their keep? What would become the next most profitable monster to train on after cows? I understand that an update like the one mentioned above will beefit the crafters, but won't it, on the other hand, encourage begging?

The low-levels would be out of job and turn to begging or scamming instead. Therefore, crime rates go ^.

drapit.png

Have you ever tried to get 1k hides yourself? If you have, then you should know that 100gp is actually under priced for the gatherer. Its really not worth the time.

and thats why theres high demand

the price will keep going up the more people that kill cows for the increasing demand of cowhides.

its in an upward spiral

My Goal Signature

Have you ever tried to get 1k hides yourself? If you have, then you should know that 100gp is actually under priced for the gatherer. Its really not worth the time.

and thats why theres high demand

the price will keep going up the more people that kill cows for the increasing demand of cowhides.

its in an upward spiral

The fact that there is a high demand is not because there is a low supply. Those are two different things. Killing more cows doesn't increase demand, it increases the quantity consumed.

The high demand of cowhides is just due to their use as part of methods to train crafting.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

You could rant for every price... and i don't think 100ea is to high, it's to low! you kill 100 cows and you get 10k? lol you can get like that in 5mins and you would take that just to walk to bank and back...

Where do you get cow hides for 100ea? I bought some a few weeks ago to get 61 crafting for Lunar Diplomacy and I paid 150ea. I bought them in F2P worlds too. I saw alot of people in memb clothing buying for 150ea too.

craftingcapeqw4.gif99 Crafting acheived 31/01/08

strcapemq9.gif99 Strength acheived 17/12/07