Runescape on Wii?

Yohbilleh

not gunna happen for a very long time, those consoles r actual rivals of java. java is for pc therefore supporting pc not game consoles

What are you talking about? If anything Sun would be more likely to add java support to the wii (If it's Sun that has to do it and not opera/nintendo) due to the fact that Sun are effectivly "at war" with Microsoft.

Can you please learn to type correctly and once you've done that don't spout random rubbish that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Thanks.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It technically depends on the internet browser the WII uses, unless they custom made their own, I would assume it would use a form of IE (Modified of course) and that would take care of a chunk of the compatibility issues. Systems are just computers with suped up graphic cards, and a really fancy GUI. So, java on anything wouldnt be TOO hard to accomplish.

blood_argon.gif

99 Crafting :: 39,750th || 99 Attack :: 1,775th

Look, Java wont waste their time investing their programs onto the Wii, or anything else for that matter. Reason being is that in another year or 2 another console will come out and the Wii will be old. Thus, making their 1/2 years meaningless. :|

sorry for the old quote, but they would get paid, wouldn't they? By Nintendo? Or maybe not...

It technically depends on the internet browser the WII uses, unless they custom made their own, I would assume it would use a form of IE (Modified of course) and that would take care of a chunk of the compatibility issues. Systems are just computers with suped up graphic cards, and a really fancy GUI. So, java on anything wouldnt be TOO hard to accomplish.

Well, they all have hard drives now, so ya they proboly do count as computers (thats all the gamecube and PS2 were missing from the computer catagory). But they don't run on a normal operating system. It's not like the Xbox 360 is runnign windows with a new GUI, its completly different. The OS for a console really just tells tells the graphics prccessor and normall proccessor what to do with data on a disk. A console does not have to deal with much input, all it ha sis a contrller and thats proboly about as complex as your keyboard. Up till now there has been no need for the OS to handel "programs". It has its own settings, something akin to BIOS (though not the same function). The OS is just an interface between the diskdrive + controller and the processors. To run Java, the OS has to be desinged to use not it's build in circitry, but a program held in RAM to provide trhe interface. The web browser proves this is possible, but I suspect that much of that browser it not on the Hard Drive, but is integrated circutry and so does not actualy run in RAM. So what teh will needs is a chipset that provides the Runtime Enviroment. Without the proper circutry, the design of the Wii and other consoles are proboly incapable of Java because useing a program like that is just beyond the scope of what they do. It's no longer using somethign in RAM to just tell it how to respond to the controller. With an IC, it could be done, but I am doubtful it would work from the Hard Drive.

I hope Jagex deciedes to put RuneScape into gaming consoles. It would probably attract a lot of new gamers.

why?

why do they want more stupid (no offence) people joining, that ruin the game for people who have been playing awhile.

i dont care if they raise the price of membership. i'd be willing to pay 10$ a month for membership if they raised the standards abit.

i miss the demonic symbols on the walls of chaos druids.

EDIT:okay, i realize how flawed that statement is.

but it still upsets me, the attitude going around nowadays.

1-3.jpg

Randox, I'll reply to you when I'm a lot less tired. As for right now...

Internet Explorer? On something that doesn't even natively run Windows/has such little processor speed and RAM? Hell no.

First, IE is native to Windows machines, it's only been modified to run on Mac OS X as far as I understand it.

Second, the Wii uses Opera, which is a nice little lightweight browser which doesn't have near the popularity as Firefox, but is very nice for those that choose to use it.

Third, and most important, the only obstacle that stands inbetween you playing RuneScape on the Wii is the minimalistic hardware. There is a Java Runtime Environment for devices as low-power as your cellphone, but that doesn't mean in the least that RuneScape could ever be played on them. That's the only obstacle that would need to be overcome, and it involves MUCH MORE than just the browser.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I think this is a real possiblity, also i bet within 5 to 10 years the gaming consoles we play on will be as powerfull as the computers we are typing on (or better), which in 10 years these computer will be outdated at least 5 times.

So we may very well have runescape on a Wii or even other systems. :thumbsup:

cool_sig1.jpg

Randox, I'll reply to you when I'm a lot less tired. As for right now...

Internet Explorer? On something that doesn't even natively run Windows/has such little processor speed and RAM? Hell no.

First, IE is native to Windows machines, it's only been modified to run on Mac OS X as far as I understand it.

Second, the Wii uses Opera, which is a nice little lightweight browser which doesn't have near the popularity as Firefox, but is very nice for those that choose to use it.

Third, and most important, the only obstacle that stands inbetween you playing RuneScape on the Wii is the minimalistic hardware. There is a Java Runtime Environment for devices as low-power as your cellphone, but that doesn't mean in the least that RuneScape could ever be played on them. That's the only obstacle that would need to be overcome, and it involves MUCH MORE than just the browser.

I really bet if Java and Wii teamed up they could have a working Wii java system up and running within a week (a prototype), Java is plain simple compared to other computer code.

cool_sig1.jpg

The Wii can use most basic flash and some java I believe, but not enough to handle the intense programming of Runescape. I'm sure it will happen eventually for people to use consoles as a median to play Runescape.

Samus-Part-3-1.jpg

Need help or advise? Have a question? Just PM me through Runescape or Tip.it. :)

Runescape is meant for PC. I personally like it that way. But Jagex is a company and companies have to look for ways to expand. So who knows...

sig2yq6.png

Presto instant eggs.
i have the solution to "goblin diplomacy"...kill wartface and bentnoze.

I really bet if Java and Wii teamed up they could have a working Wii java system up and running within a week (a prototype), Java is plain simple compared to other computer code.

One question. Have you ever touched Java as a programming language?

A console does not have to deal with much input, all it ha sis a contrller and thats proboly about as complex as your keyboard.

A controller has (at most) 24-36 buttons that can be pressed, and I'm talkin' those big old and archaic arcade-style joysticks. Xbox would probably have about thirty, if you counted each direction as an individual "button", I believe; don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong about this.

A standard English/American keyboard has 105 characters, including at least one Super [Windows] button, a menu button, and the ever-venerable Scroll Lock.

Even with its fewer keys or buttons (or hand-gestures), a modern controller would probably give four to ten times more input than your keyboard. Repetition, repetition, repetition. (Namely mashing that "fire" button...) Again, don't feel embarrassed to correct me on this; I'm not entirely sure of those numbers, but that's the way that I feel after playing Super Street Fighter 3: Third Strike on the Dreamcast for an hour...

Up till now there has been no need for the OS to handel "programs". It has its own settings, something akin to BIOS (though not the same function). The OS is just an interface between the diskdrive + controller and the processors.

The pseudo-OSes that are run on all consoles actually are running applications, just not applications that we see on PCs very often. The reason for that would be that the programs that are designed to run on the PC aren't designed to run on a console.

As for the OS, you only scratched the surface. The OS sits on top of all hardware, not just the hard disks, processors, and RAM. Also, each OS has to be slated or tested to run on that particular hardware form-factor (typically driven by processor; most common would be x86).

To run Java, the OS has to be desinged to use not it's build in circitry, but a program held in RAM to provide trhe interface. The web browser proves this is possible, but I suspect that much of that browser it not on the Hard Drive, but is integrated circutry and so does not actualy run in RAM. So what teh will needs is a chipset that provides the Runtime Enviroment. Without the proper circutry, the design of the Wii and other consoles are proboly incapable of Java because useing a program like that is just beyond the scope of what they do.

To run Java, the hardware (Wii) and the software (Wii's OS) must be compatible with whatever Runtime Environment is available. You can run a browser on a cellphone, but that doesn't mean the cellphone can get you to playing RuneScape on it.

You also don't quite understand what RAM does to a system. Since I don't have the time/patience to teach it tonight, I'll sum up: When your processor is not processing data, it's stored in RAM. When it's needed, it's called out of RAM, put through the processor, and (generally) put back; depending on the complexity of the program, even more data is placed in RAM than was taken out. Just to let you know, the only programs that I've heard of that have not run in RAM would probably be the BIOS, since that's its own chip; every other program (including OSes) requires RAM.

Lastly, when it comes to consoles, anything outside of playing a video game that you get from the store is way beyond the scope of what they are meant for.

------

Study the field of Computer Science and Programming and let your knowledge expand beyond the basics, my friend.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.