Religion made by man

Matthews1

Now i know most of you wont like this but im posting it any way.

Is religion made by man???

Personally i think that religon was made by man because we needed something to believe in.

please post your thought and no flaming.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean religion made by man? Don't really understand the question. It't a solid object it's a belief like saying is love man made because we need something to make us feel better.

He is asking if religion was just thought up by humanity as an excuse for the unexplained or is it all it claims to be.

What do you mean religion made by man? Don't really understand the question. It't a solid object it's a belief like saying is love man made because we need something to make us feel better.

He is asking if religion was just thought up by humanity as an excuse for the unexplained or is it all it claims to be.

Well no one can answer this because it cannot be proven either way. If it could we would all either be one religion or atheist.

Well of course it is. I mean, we didn't all of the sudden be like "hey, i'm a christan! woot."

Maybe rephrase your question a bit more?

He is asking if religion was just thought up by humanity as an excuse for the unexplained (-Atheistic view) or is it all it claims to be (-Religious view).

Well of course it is. I mean, we didn't all of the sudden be like "hey, i'm a christan! woot."

Maybe rephrase your question a bit more?

For thousands of years religious beliefs were staged around the unknown; the Greeks did not know where lightning came from so Zeus must have made it, they did not know why there were waves so Poseidon must have made them etc. The modern God of Christianity is an excuse as to how the universe got here and how/why there are intelligent beings on it.

If the former of my first post it right then the above is true and Atheism is the only right religion. If the latter of my first post is right then a given religion and its beliefs are right.

Atheism requires more faith than any religion, as you have to actively reject any evidence for the existence of God. Accepting that God exists allows for proof against God, as (as a Christian) you also accept that there is a force working against God, who would want to disprove His existence.

And yes, there is evidence for God in the world. I have yet to see a credible theory to explain the existence of the world without Him. Yes, I have seen the Big Bang theory, and I can disprove it fairly easily, thank you very much. I wish they'd stop teaching theories as fact in physics lessons.

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

i think religion is false, i dont believe there is a god out there..

I do believe, however, that religion is a good thing, it gives people the right mind-set to live a good life, and praying gives an outlet to people in need.

my opinion, dont hate me for it

- Only character in Runescape History maxed out in RSC and RS2

x843.png

And yes, there is evidence for God in the world. I have yet to see a credible theory to explain the existence of the world without Him. Yes, I have seen the Big Bang theory, and I can disprove it fairly easily, thank you very much. I wish they'd stop teaching theories as fact in physics lessons.

Just curious, whats this evidence for the existance of god? Personally i've never seen anything concrete... then again i haven't seen everything have I. Recently i had the Big Bang theory explaned to me from a Chemists point of view and as far as i could see everything was physically possiable. If you wana go into it, what was your evidence to dissprove the theory?

Its funny how most christans that i know, atomaticly think that if athiest were to be confronted with proof, that we would convert. I know i wouldnt. Sure i would belive there was a god, if there was enough proof. But i wouldnt worship it.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

You don't quite seem to comprehend that scientific theory = fact (seriously look it up in the dictionary).

What would you propose our current universe came from, it had to come from somewhere and the big bang theory is quite plausible actually; please propose how you can disprove it as no one I know have been made aware of any potential problems in the theory.

You don't quite seem to comprehend that scientific theory = fact (seriously look it up in the dictionary).

What would you propose our current universe came from, it had to come from somewhere and the big bang theory is quite plausible actually; please propose how you can disprove it as no one I know have been made aware of any potential problems in the theory.

Even as an athiest that is very scientific, i can tell you it is not fact. Notice the Theory attached to the end of the big bang... Which means that it is not been proven, but is thought of. Until it is dissproven, we will continut using it.

Also, i doubt that that anyone on this forum can disprove, or prove that the theory is fact or fiction, so no one say that you can.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Even as an athiest that is very scientific, i can tell you it is not fact. Notice the Theory attached to the end of the big bang... Which means that it is not been proven, but is thought of. Until it is dissproven, we will continut using it.

Also, i doubt that that anyone on this forum can disprove, or prove that the theory is fact or fiction, so no one say that you can.

Pretty much all theories contain, facts, laws and tested hypothesis otherwise it would be impossible to prove or disprove. Also I would like to note it is impossible to prove anything with 100% certainty as there is no one to tell you the answers after you had a go at the problems therefore the big bang theory remains fact at this present time and that's all that really matter's.

Another viewpoint is that you should treat theories as fact as they provide explanations that show no practical deviation from observed values. Hey I better stop using newtons equations for gravity because they are not accurate enough, but for most situations it suits just fine. Maybe we should start worrying about the universe as electromagnetic theory or even atomic theory could be wrong and in 10 years propagation of em waves will be impossible and atomic structure will become unstable and will be unable to form atoms; no really.

Edit: You must agree that big bang theory and observation have established the basic elements of the theory.

My personal understanding of what separates science from faith.

In science, you first observe the occurences around you, and then try to come up with the most plausible theory to support them.

In faith, you first have a theory, and then try to pick out desired observed occurences to support your theory.

This holds true not only for religions. A person who already has a firm beleif in anything (including sciences, like some physics or biological theory), and then does whatever it takes to prove his beleif is right; ignoring, avoiding or trying to disprove any opposing evidence, is acting on faith, not on science.

Anyfaith inevitably has bias towards supporting itself; sciense is (or at least true science is) bias-free.

This does not imply any negative connotations to the word bias or to my perspective on faith -- human beings are all inherently biased on one level or another, and often that's good; it furthermore can well be argued that faith has it's own merit, even if it's foundations are false. That doesn't change my point, however.

Live free or die. First option is exhausted, so guess what remains?

heres one for you to get your head around. what happens if there is no big band or no god but the universe has always been here. why does there have to be a begginging if there is no end to the universe?

And a divine superbeing that has always existed and which creates the world from nothing in a few days is credible? The fact that all "miracles" conveniently happened way-back-when is credible? Lack of a logical explanation does not in any way make Christianity any more likely to be true.

Why should they stop teaching theories? In that case, should they also stop teaching facts about religions? These are theories aswell. It simply does not matter whether they are true or not. The *fact* remains that one benefits from knowing as much about other religions as possible, since it allows one to understand the cultures of others, and the *fact* remains that the Big Bang theory is the most credible explanation in the eyes of the masses. You may not like it, but to stop teaching either of these as the theories they are would only ensure students know less than they would have otherwise.

On a more on-topic note, I'm completely convinced that Religion is a concept created by man that has no ties whatsoever to reality (Excluding obvious historical facts that are mentioned in the religious texts, which do not prove the 'correctness' of the religion). A god does not make any sense at all. What created the world? God. If so, what created God? He has always been. If so, why can't it simply be that the world has always been in one form or another? If there is ever proof that the Christian god exists, I would never consider worshipping Him. No other being has the sole responsibility by inaction for so much suffering. He wouldn't be worth worshipping.

That said, I have nothing against religion. If you have the faith to believe in that which cannot be proven, more power to you.

heres one for you to get your head around. what happens if there is no big band or no god but the universe has always been here. why does there have to be a begginging if there is no end to the universe?

well, the big bang theory as i know it, and i always thought was the right way, not many people seem to know about, or just forget to tell.(or i am wrong about what everyone thinks, but this is my own theory if that is true)

the big bang is just a begining, one of an infinite amount of big bangs. they are always followed by a big crunch, where the universe returns to a point of singularity and re-bang. this has happened an infinite amount of times, and will happen an infinite more amount of times. there is no real begining or end.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

^^^ very true quite hard to grasp. but i dont think religion is true because of some of the books ive read like the Darwin theory some other scientifique book aswell. Also any of you who have taken geography should know that the world is over a 50 million years old.

i mean no offence to any of you religious people because it shows great strength of mind to devout(spelling) your self to religion.

By the way im a agnostic dont bielieve or disbelieve

I think it was Thomas Aquinas who refered to religion or God being the beginning including the Big Bang.

Indeed if you had the original Big Bang, even with two single particles, how did those particles first form? And how did they get in that space? And where did that space come from?

Aquinas said it was obviously God. But if you're arguing like that, then you could argue: Where did God come from? If he came from another God, where did that one come from?

Again you're left with this idea of no beginning or end. Just like our friend Dave Lister :wink:

OUROBOROS!

Lol Bubsa, classic episode :D

http://www.answers.com/OUROBOROS

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I think it was Thomas Aquinas who refered to religion or God being the beginning including the Big Bang.

Indeed if you had the original Big Bang, even with two single particles, how did those particles first form? And how did they get in that space? And where did that space come from?

Aquinas said it was obviously God. But if you're arguing like that, then you could argue: Where did God come from? If he came from another God, where did that one come from?

Thinking along those lines - that there must have been a beginning - and if a God was responsible, then I'd infer that that God must have always been existant and outside the realm of this universe, an 'all powerfull being' as some people say. The cause and effect rule has to have started from somewhere (otherwise we would never get to today) and the cause of that beginning must be exempt from this rule if it is to make any logical sense (imo at least). :) Tricky aint it? :P

I have never yet heard an explanation to why it would bang once its reached singularity. If anyone could look it up, please do so;)

I'll explain singularity to you if its a new concept:

A black hole has such a huge gravity, that when you approach it head first it will be torn of, because gravity by your head is much larger then by your feet. The top of your head will then be severed for the same reason etc, until you are split into atoms and ultimately the smallest part possible, singularity.

Ultimately all the matter in the universe willo be concentrated at once spot, with no gravity working against it, it will continue to "crunch". This might make it "bang" but noone have ever explained it to me.

(basic model of the theory)

Atheism requires more faith than any religion, as you have to actively reject any evidence for the existence of God.

Seeing as there is no real scientific evidence for god I guess that makes it easier.

And yes, there is evidence for God in the world. I have yet to see a credible theory to explain the existence of the world without Him.

When is the god of gaps credible?

The big bang doesn't explain it well enough, therefore god exists. That isn't evidence, thats a logical fallacy.

Yes, I have seen the Big Bang theory, and I can disprove it fairly easily, thank you very much. I wish they'd stop teaching theories as fact in physics lessons.

Scientific theories are explanations of the evidence, sounds like you shouldn't be in physics classes if you can't grasp science.

Thinking along those lines - that there must have been a beginning - and if a God was responsible, then I'd infer that that God must have always been existant and outside the realm of this universe, an 'all powerfull being' as some people say. The cause and effect rule has to have started from somewhere (otherwise we would never get to today) and the cause of that beginning must be exempt from this rule if it is to make any logical sense (imo at least). :) Tricky aint it? :P

The first cause argument contradicts itself.

If some things don't apply to the rule, why does the big bang need to?

Its funny how most christans that i know, atomaticly think that if athiest were to be confronted with proof, that we would convert. I know i wouldnt. Sure i would belive there was a god, if there was enough proof. But i wouldnt worship it.

If I had the technology and knowledge to create a world which is inhabited, I wouldn't see the possible pleasure or usefulness (other than an ego-boost) to have my creations worship me multiple times a day. It'd get pretty boring and unoriginal.

And don't tell me "God has his own ways", because if God is wise at all having lived for an infinite amount of time, I'm sure he doesn't need an ego-boost. Just make a huge 2km white statue made of an unbreakable material in the middle of a desert which displays you as a human, that'll make them believe. It will also zap anybody who tries creating pagan religions, so everybody will worship you and there wont be needless crusades and other religious wars claiming tens of millions of lives.