Runescape and MMORPGS... Nerd Haven?

aj926

I'm 6'2", 180 pounds of muscle, absolutely gorgeous and sexy, have three girlfriends, two of which have DD's, lead an amazing social life of glory and grandeur, am an eliquent speaker and debater, head of more clubs than you can count, a member of even more, and of course everyone loves me more than Mahatma Gandhi. I am totally not a nerd. Totally. Did I mention I'm the head of the football, soccer, and track teams? Yah, totally not a nerd.

Let me use your own words and say 'The fact that you feel the need to justify yourself create doubts'. A lot of people are socially successful, but they don't feel the need to brag about it on a forum topic. Oversized ego much?

I think that person is simply trying to hide their own desperate need for a social life. Mine is not exactly stellar (I have always been more interested in a good book then anything else), but at least I don't feel the need to ham it up enough to make a high school jock cry.

triforceelf.png

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 6'2", 180 pounds of muscle, absolutely gorgeous and sexy, have three girlfriends, two of which have DD's, lead an amazing social life of glory and grandeur, am an eliquent speaker and debater, head of more clubs than you can count, a member of even more, and of course everyone loves me more than Mahatma Gandhi. I am totally not a nerd. Totally. Did I mention I'm the head of the football, soccer, and track teams? Yah, totally not a nerd.

Let me use your own words and say 'The fact that you feel the need to justify yourself create doubts'. A lot of people are socially successful, but they don't feel the need to brag about it on a forum topic. Oversized ego much?

[i think that person is simply trying to hide their own desperate need for a social life. Mine is not exactly stellar (I have always been more interested in a good book then anything else), but at least I don't feel the need to ham it up enough to make a high school jock cry.

sarcasmdetectorhd9.jpg

FIX IT.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I agree with you and I think that anyone within the first 20 pages of the highscores cannot lead a healthy life away from their computer screens but I feel that it is unfair to say that the majority of runescapers are like this. There are many people out there who play the game for fun and merely play it like they would play a racing game on their ps2. For an hour or so every couple of days. When regarding the no-life aspect of runescape you must also take into account the passive players of the game.

I dont totally agree with this because just because they're in the top 20 pages how do we know they didnt start in rsc at the age of 11 so they may only be like 16 now so they may have wasted their lives as little kids but i dont think it affects how they are as adults...o wait no i guess it does

ignore my post if you will =]

Jamje.png

null and void

I just hate the term "no-lifer". It's impossible to play RS without a life (well, unless the character is a bot, but that's a whole other thread). If a person has no life, then they must be dead, and how xan a dead person play a game?

Just because one person's life goals, accomplishments and quality doesn't meet your standards, it doesn't mean their life is somehow less important or less legitimate than yours. If someone stays indoors and playing a game or doesn't have sex (either by choice or by circumstance), it doesn't make them less of a person or diminish their quality of life when compared to a person who goes out every weekend and has regular sex. As an example, my two closest friends both lost their virginity at young ages and because of that, they consider themselves better than me because I'm still a virgin. Yet, my life is, generally, less stressful and happier than theirs because I don't have to suffer the depths of sexual frustration they regularly go through when they can't have sex for extended lengths of time. They keep telling me "You don't know what you're missing," and I can't help but think, "I'm happier for it, too."

Getting back to my main point, people these days are so obsessed with making everyone just like them that no one stops to think about the other person's circumstances; who's dto say that a kid playing an mmo ten hours a day isn't better off than his neighbor who plays basketball at the park and dodging bullets from drivebys every other week because they live in a bad neighborhood? Who's to say that the virgin college kid who stayed home playing twenty straight deathmatches on XBox Live isn't healthier than his roommate who hooked up with a chick at a party and contracted an STD from her? Why can't the lvl-87 Scaper with a full friends list (most of whom he knows irl and chats with frequently) be just as - or more - socially successful as the kid who hangs out at the mall with his twenty friends?

cube347.jpg

Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.

[...]

not everything in life has to be productive like some think. If you enjoy doing something then do it. Also different people have different personalities, some prefer to do their own thing and play games rather than get out and socialize, it doesn't make them a bad person, it simply reflects their personality.

You can call me a nerd, I'd agree with you, I am a nerd, and I choose to be a nerd because I think its the best lifestyle for me. I have no shame in it.

Just please, don't label people.

But wakka, you're too hawt to be a nerd :o!

And I don't think that aj's point is that everyone who plays is a nerd, but that a great number are. It's a bit stereotypical, and I'd use "introvert" rather than "nerd" (introvert being a non-derogatory term), but it's true for the most part.

I'm not doubting its true, I'm saying what is the point of posting it? We are nerds but its the lifestyle we choose. Everyone for some reason feels the need to impress other people by following the normal, such as being the most popular or having the hottest girlfriend but i say to hell with that, just enjoy you're life the way you want to, not the way others think you should enjoy it. However, the way I read this post it seems to scream with the message that being a nerd is a bad thing, I'm sure at least 90% of the world is run by nerds lol.

I just hate the term "no-lifer". It's impossible to play RS without a life (well, unless the character is a bot, but that's a whole other thread). If a person has no life, then they must be dead, and how xan a dead person play a game?

"no-lifer" has a colloquial definition outside of "dead", so stop trying to argue semantics and just admit that by the definitions of society one can be considered a "no-lifer", no matter how cruel and vague the criteria are.

I hate the term, but there still are logical measurements for comparing quality of life, even if they're difficult to measure. But just because it's hard to gauge the difference in the quality of life between two similiar people does not mean you can't blatantly see the difference of two on complete opposite of the spectrums. It's similiar to a quote from a certain judge: "I may not know exactly what good is, but I knows it whens I sees it."

Just because one person's life goals, accomplishments and quality doesn't meet your standards, it doesn't mean their life is somehow less important or less legitimate than yours. If someone stays indoors and playing a game or doesn't have sex (either by choice or by circumstance), it doesn't make them less of a person or diminish their quality of life when compared to a person who goes out every weekend and has regular sex.

Ah, of course, again with the "hey, at least I'm not drinking alcohol and having sex!" excuses/"arguments". This forum seriously needs to get rid of that, it gets annoying fast.

As an example, my two closest friends both lost their virginity at young ages and because of that, they consider themselves better than me because I'm still a virgin. Yet, my life is, generally, less stressful and happier than theirs because I don't have to suffer the depths of sexual frustration they regularly go through when they can't have sex for extended lengths of time. They keep telling me "You don't know what you're missing," and I can't help but think, "I'm happier for it, too."

Fine, be annoyed that they're pressuring you, or if they think you're better for you because they aren't virgins- you'd be in the right in that case. Just make sure you don't go the polar opposite way and start thinking you're better than them just because you're a virgin and they're not.

Getting back to my main point, people these days are so obsessed with making everyone just like them that no one stops to think about the other person's circumstances; who's dto say that a kid playing an mmo ten hours a day isn't better off than his neighbor who plays basketball at the park and dodging bullets from drivebys every other week because they live in a bad neighborhood?

:wall:

I'm responding to this from bottom to top, so just look down to see my point on Hermit theory, which offers the exact same needed response to this point of yours as well. Living in a shell to avoid all pain is guna give you one sucky life bub.

Who's to say that the virgin college kid who stayed home playing twenty straight deathmatches on XBox Live isn't healthier than his roommate who hooked up with a chick at a party and contracted an STD from her?

Because one person is experiencing life [at it's fullest], while the other is just sitting at the computer. What, do you live by Hermit theory, trying to avoid anything and everything that can bring harm to you even if it takes away all potential for the benefits they could offer? Pfft. Didn't work for Spongebob, ain't gunna work for you either.

Why can't the lvl-87 Scaper with a full friends list (most of whom he knows irl and chats with frequently) be just as - or more - socially successful as the kid who hangs out at the mall with his twenty friends?

Oh ya, like anyone here knows even two of the people on their friends list in real life. Worst excuse ever for avoiding social interaction. And even if you do know everyone, or at least most of the people, on your friends list in real life (in three years of playing I know no one who does), IM'ing is no where near as socially expansive and valuable as being with the person in real life. M'kay?

Excuses and denial are not something one should willingly attach to, so try to get rid of yours.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

i play runescape...a lot lol, for about 6 hrs a day on mon-friday and sunday...and about all day saturday. Why do i do this? nothing to do...cant get a job because of some stupid health plan thing and if i get a job then we'll lose it and most of my friends are at work so i cant hang with them...i hang with them here and there...but i dont center my life around runescape...i still get up and excercise...i still go outside with my family for walks or to play basketball. So i may be a geek but i dont center my life around my "silicon box".

Ssgoku_012.png

Ssgoku_012.png

ssgoku_012.png

Why can't the lvl-87 Scaper with a full friends list (most of whom he knows irl and chats with frequently) be just as - or more - socially successful as the kid who hangs out at the mall with his twenty friends?

Because interaction with the RS chat and PM functions is barely worth the name 'interaction'. Seriously, its crap like hell.

One good RL friend of mine played RS as well, and what we could communicate with the RS chat functions is sooo much less then what you could communicate IRL.

So to come back to your example (which I doubt it has any existing equivalents), that 87 scaper isnt as socially succesfull as a kid who hangs out with friends. Not at all as socially succesfull.

Well, he can be succesfull if he hangs out with his friends as well, but then he is socially succesfull because he hangs out with his friend, not because he plays RS.

I find the term succesfull a bit weird, but ah well, will use it to make my point more clear. :P

ltjemightyro9.png

Retired.

Probably the reason why in 3 years of playing RS I havent got one 99 skill still. Yes I do play RS and yes I have for quite a long time now but I know for a fact I have a better social life than most people and I'm very popular, talkative and sociable.

I think that most people know where to draw the line or play these games in moderation (like myself, although I have still played quite a bit).

Obviously you get these unhealthy and sad lifestyles that some lead, but they are the ones you always hear about. So thats why the impression is given that MMORPG players are these sad, lonely people when I guarantee most are infact normal people.