Runescape and MMORPGS... Nerd Haven?

aj926

I do think that there are 'nerds' in MMO's. But not all of the players are, alot of them have normal lives, friends, school, family, gatherings, ect. Heres my schedual, on weekdays:

Wake up, eat, shower, get ready, school.

First two classes, lunch (Pizza Gallery FTW!), two last classes.

Bus ride home, or stay and hang out with friends.

Once I'm home, I do hw, or play RS for maybe an hour, or two.

I eat, go to bed, wake up, and start all over.

It dosen't really take up most of my time, and I'm not addicted to it.

So I, for one, am NOT a nerd! :D

I created this new specially designed scam detection software i've code named "common sense", it's saying its a scam.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moderation is good.

I play around two hours a week and I "have" a life. I go out with my friends (just came back from an all you can eat :D ), I'm active (14 & 126lbs) and I'm quite popular at school, I'm in a charity club, a religious club, a cultural club and debate club. I get good grades (lowest grade= B+, kinda got in trouble for that). I have a robust personality.

Point is, Runescape in moderation is fine as is alot of other things, I lead a great life and I still enjoy the occasional RS session.

Kaisershami.png

Kaisershami.png

meorkunderscore-1.jpg

I know alot of people that go on the computer at least 3 hours a day on MSN and never played a computer game in their life.

The only difference between me and these people is that i skill on RS at the same time. (I admit it is one of the reason why i play this game)

Judging people because of their in game stats is stupid...

I bet you he doesnt like to think about what he could have achieved if he had of spent his time on something else, or any

?

Games = hobby and hobby = fun.

This is like saying "i wish i did something else when i had fun the other day!"

However if he does not enjoy Runescape that is another story...(but thats neither mine or your business to judge if he does)

Stephleref.png

I'm going to make a bold statement here and say that anyone who plays MMO's the way they need to be played (hours at a time, everyday) hasn't got much of a life.

When I played them, I was casual and still ended up playing instead of doing other things. Any top players in any games really can't have a life...Just no time for it. :shock:

"If I did break into a hotel room to steal my trophies, this is how it happened."

I'm 6'2", 180 pounds of muscle, absolutely gorgeous and sexy, have three girlfriends, two of which have DD's, lead an amazing social life of glory and grandeur, am an eliquent speaker and debater, head of more clubs than you can count, a member of even more, and of course everyone loves me more than Mahatma Gandhi. I am totally not a nerd. Totally. Did I mention I'm the head of the football, soccer, and track teams? Yah, totally not a nerd.

Now that I've got that out of my system, on to my post.

I must say that I'm not a geek ::'

I have always managed to have a "normal" life outside rs. You always need to remember rs is just a game, not a life.

I do admit I sometimes nolifed, specially when I was close to a goal I had for a while. :-w

It's just a game, and it's supposed to be fun. If it takes over your life, you need to do something about it.

Your need to defend yourself creates doubts.

As someone already said, nerds/geeks are just labels, in the long run, who really gives a s**t? Its peoples own lives, let them do what they enjoy doing, if someone enjoys playing rs then who are we to argue.

To answer if rs attracts "nerds/geeks" then i'd have to say it attracts folks with a higher attention span, who keep playing and enjoy it, (not always a higher iq) than most online,normally fps games where players start swearing down a mic at you just cause you killed them.

Hate the "compare us to them" justification, as well as apathy towards someone's health. Mainly social health in this matter- Runescape kills social well being, and little good comes from it other than it being a more colorful IM-like java applet. If you care about someone, and Runescape is detrimental to that person (usually is), interventions aren't exactly a bad thing.

9 million people play World of Warcraft. Millions others play various other MMOs. That's a lot of geeks.

No, most people who play MMOs aren't "geeks" or "nerds". MMORPGs are just another type of game.

No, they're just introverts. It's just that the "geek" and nerd" circles largely coincide with the "introvert" cirles on the Venn Diagram.

There we have the "explain-why-you-are-not-a-nerd/geek" posts again :roll:

I just like how some people like to judge your success in life based solely on your social skills. :roll: It's their lives, people can choose to live it whatever they like, who are you to judge and criticise?

THANK YOU. Someone logical on this thread.

Everyone, stop defending yourselves. It's annoying, pointless, and gives us the complete opposite image of you to us that you want to project.

"nerd" and "geek" are simply labels that society puts on certain people, mostly for bad reasons. I do agree that i probably have put tons of hours into my account, and get above average grades in school, but honestly, what is a "nerd" , as there is really no set definite way to know if someone is a nerd or not.

What im trying to say, is you cannot tell if a person is a nerd or not, and there is no rule that makes someone a nerd.

HA! If that isn't nerd denial, I don't know what is.

I do think that there are 'nerds' in MMO's. But not all of the players are, alot of them have normal lives, friends, school, family, gatherings, ect. Heres my schedual, on weekdays:

Wake up, eat, shower, get ready, school.

First two classes, lunch (Pizza Gallery FTW!), two last classes.

Bus ride home, or stay and hang out with friends.

Once I'm home, I do hw, or play RS for maybe an hour, or two.

I eat, go to bed, wake up, and start all over.

It dosen't really take up most of my time, and I'm not addicted to it.

So I, for one, am NOT a nerd! :D

Your need to defend yourself... badly... creates doubts.

Moderation is good.

I play around two hours a week and I "have" a life. I go out with my friends (just came back from an all you can eat :D ), I'm active (14 & 126lbs) and I'm quite popular at school, I'm in a charity club, a religious club, a cultural club and debate club. I get good grades (lowest grade= B+, kinda got in trouble for that). I have a robust personality.

Point is, Runescape in moderation is fine as is alot of other things, I lead a great life and I still enjoy the occasional RS session.

Your need to defend yourselves creates doubts.

Judging people because of their in game stats is stupid...

Yet strangely logical based on the correlated information it offers of the amount of time the players spends on the game.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Yet strangely logical based on the correlated information it offers of the amount of time the players spends on the game.

Runescape hiscores does not reveal how that player trained a certain skill or how old the account is.

Nice sarcasm btw

Stephleref.png

Runescape hiscores does not reveal how that player trained a certain skill or how old the account is.

Nice sarcasm btw

Touche :-k . Your point on the age of the count was the known flaw in my argument, but you can't argue that you can't base someone's playing time of their levels, at least to a certain extent :P .

I'm 6'2", 180 pounds of muscle, absolutely gorgeous and sexy, have three girlfriends, two of which have DD's, lead an amazing social life of glory and grandeur, am an eliquent speaker and debater, head of more clubs than you can count, a member of even more, and of course everyone loves me more than Mahatma Gandhi. I am totally not a nerd. Totally. Did I mention I'm the head of the football, soccer, and track teams? Yah, totally not a nerd.

imo, i hope all 3 slap you because that kind of over-confidence will get you hurt sometime later.

ill be honest i do partially lead a good life, i have a healthy body, good friends but also suffer bipole depression so my confidence isnt a strong one. because of a recent move most my friends live on the opposite side of the town i live and becomes hard to access, of course this is only temperaraly (i can never spell that word) as i am able to obtain my P1 license soon so travel wont be a hold back. personally i belive location is also a major affect on players, hardly any friends play runescape anymore and myself have grown tired of jagex's desperate attempts to keep members. regardless when i get my computer fixed up im quitting the horrible game that i've played to entertain me for 6 years and get back into my digital artwork.

also you can tell a persons lifestyle by there skills exp/levels, but only how fast its increases in a week. 500k total exp in 3 days? thats having no life especially when one of those days is a school day.

a little side note: does a nerd shoot real guns/rifles and do competative archery? and i dont think some members of tip.it want to hear you flaunting about your gf's bra size either Rebdragon because its those guys who i get the urge to shoot. -.-

Popoto.~<3

Well. I make good grades. Play football. Go to parties. I find time for runescape because it's fun and I don't have a PS2 or an XBox. Whoever calls me a nerd at school I've got 80% of the students behind me. I too, stay on runescape for long periods of time when I want something. But when I get it what next? Make another goal? Well personaly I think RS is unhealthy if you've spent over 2 weeks of hours playing. Once you run out of goals, just drop it.

Pheonix Elite- obsessing 1 RS member at a time.

Narutosig75-1.jpg

Thanks Harrinator1 for the sig!

imo, i hope all 3 slap you because that kind of over-confidence will get you hurt sometime later.

Oh come on, can't you see its one of Rebs weekly sarcasm exploding posts? I could say that I am bill gates, or the evil psychokid next door, I could pretend im female, or evena nut pretending to be a rabbit. The internet isnt reliable on personal information.

I always wait for Reb to step into these topics and litterally pwn half of the posters here. We really don't want you to defend yourself, for what infact? So people on the internet know your not a nerd? :? .

Yes, I am a nerd, in full glory. I have never had a girlfriend since I was born, wich is nearly 17 years ago now. I spend quite allot of time on the computer, and some of that on Runescape. I have about 10 real life friends, wich I find very loyal and cool, even though they are nerds and nolifers too. I have fun in my nerdy life, sue me.

And who seriously would care about my information I just gave you. Thats right, noone of you. You guys wouldn't think, Dude, now I know Dharockslayer is a nerd, I am completely happy with myself now.

So people, please don't start scrambling your life story here to proof to people on a Runescape forum that you are not a geek/nerd/nolifer/psychokid. Because no one cares.

reaper6zr7.png

Interrested in joining the cabbagy madness? Click here to go to our forums, and say hi ^^

lol one of the biggest pvp updates of the year, and tip it is discussing granite

In my experience, most of my friends in rs have social lives, most have gf's, go out getting drunk having fun etc. I think runescape attracts more casual gamers than the other mmorpg's

Sorry, but getting drunk doesn't mean you have a social life.

I've been "clean" since May 2007 after 4 months of really hard-core World of Warcrafting, after that I haven't played anything more than needed. And most of my guildmates were 20+, had a job - during which they found time to play, had a wife or a family, and they still found time to play 7-8 hours a day. That is sick.

Let me bring you an example. A 27 year old guy, he has a job, a wife and a baby-girl/boy, whatever. He works from what, 9-6 or so, the usual. He attends raids which take place from 7 o' clock til 11-12. And usually you have to prepare potions, money and stuff for the raids, so that takes a couple of more hours. He only spends time with his family on friday or saturday. Come on, that is sick, I find it hard to believe that his wife puts up with that.

268 Quest Points

Often on IRC when I talk about getting out or having a social life, people will call me a hypocrite. People assume that I have spent many hours getting my skills. And you know what? they are correct. I have spent many hours playing but I have also done tons of other things as well. So go ahead and judge me by what you've seen me do in this game, I know how to interpret it.

Also, this may be hard to believe but I went for 3 weeks without an internet connection! :ohnoes: the shock! How could I possibly entertain myself? Well probably not in the way that some of you are thinking :notalk: . I went rock climbing, and even met up with some friends that I hadn't seen for a year. Fun stuff. Oh yeah, and I beat halo 2 during tha time as well.

I may be a lil insecure, but at least I do what I like to do in my life.

also you can tell a persons lifestyle by there skills exp/levels, but only how fast its increases in a week. 500k total exp in 3 days? thats having no life especially when one of those days is a school day.

Obviously wouldn't understand "efficiency" even if it slaped you in the face. 500k exp can be obtained in just 3 hours. Stop trying to find a "baseline" or make "nerd-meter", we're talking about people not robots.

a little side note: does a nerd shoot real guns/rifles and do competative archery? and i dont think some members of tip.it want to hear you flaunting about your gf's bra size either Rebdragon because its those guys who i get the urge to shoot.

Here's a better question: if a person is so insecure that they feel the need to justify their entire daily schedule just so that they don't appear nerdy, does that make them a nerd?

Clearly you've missed, not only the sarcasm, but also the entire point of Rebdragon's post. Basically, stop trying to show why you are not a nerd. It only shows how insecure you are of yourself and someone who's insecure is only hurting himself in the end when he tries to be someone he is not.

On the other hand I do disagree with Rebdragon saying it's annoying to see people trying to defend themselves, I think it's amusing (even if I do it myself sometimes #-o ).

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

I also don't believe a word Zezima said in his interview, it was way too easy to lie. I am doing a biology major, psychology minor, possibly a chemistry minor. IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢m looking to go into genetics research. Btw, I'm number 1 in Runescape, it 'just happened', I'm just being 'efficient'.

----

410% agreed, i think they're for our entertainment and to make this site stand out <.<

Zaroterasu.png

Yes, this is true. I am a bit of a nerd. However, I have many friends and have had a few girlfriends. So, I'm sort of in the middle. I hang out with friends and such. Especially when one of them had a terrible knew injury. Halo 3 for the win! :)

In my opinion, you shouldn't flame someone for being a nerd. So what if they are a nerd? It doesn't effect you in any way, shape or form.

j0xPu5R.png

In my oppinion, playing runescape does not = nerd.

My reasoning? Well at my school everyone's just in this big social group that includes everyone. The groups exist, but nobody really pays any attention because we're old enough to realise everyone's unique and amazing in their own way... anyway, that's beside the point. The nerds like to talk about games, and I have never ONCE heard them mention any MMO, other than Guildwars (which I know nothing about). When someone mentions runescape to them, they look down on it. It's a fact really. I don't care much and I know most here know that :P

So basically, from my experiance, most nerds (that I know, at least) don't go anywhere near MMOs. It might be because everyone's social life round here is exactly the same. Everyone does everything together, nobody misses out unless they really do sit here all day and play RS. And nobody wants to sacrifice their social life for a few levels or a quest. Basically everyone I know stays in on Sundays to chill down from the week, unless they're working.

The only people I know that DO play games non-stop, are still amazing people. But there ain't very many of them. And look how many people play something like WOW? I've seen many copies of that game on loads of my guy friends shelves, whatever "group" they fit into. I suppose I'm probably the only girl I know that plays Runescape... and I don't play any other games so... yep.

:o Shocker!!

Basically, the way I see it, who cares if you're a nerd in the end? EVERY SINGLE PERSON I KNOW would rather be out doing stuff they enjoy with their friends than sat playing an MMO. Even the "nerds".

Along the coast road, by the headland

The early lights of winter glow.

Ill pour a cup to you my darling.

Raise it up --- say cheerio.

My friend used to play RuneScape, but he got blackmailed and had his stuff stolen. He now looks down upon the game and calls the game stupid and made for nerds. That's why most people don't like RuneScape. They either got "hacked" or scammed, but afraid to admit it.

j0xPu5R.png

Maybe, although most people I know that look down on it just don't find it fun. I mean, it's not for everyone is it? I'm sure that because they're good at things like Xbox or whatever, (which I'm really not) then they would rather do that.

Along the coast road, by the headland

The early lights of winter glow.

Ill pour a cup to you my darling.

Raise it up --- say cheerio.

Maybe, although most people I know that look down on it just don't find it fun. I mean, it's not for everyone is it? I'm sure that because they're good at things like Xbox or whatever, (which I'm really not) then they would rather do that.

Yes. They might just be plain lazy. :P They would rather play instant fun games such as Halo 3 and such.

j0xPu5R.png

I also don't believe a word Zezima said in his interview, it was way too easy to lie. I am doing a biology major, psychology minor, possibly a chemistry minor. IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢m looking to go into genetics research. Btw, I'm number 1 in Runescape, it 'just happened', I'm just being 'efficient'.

----

410% agreed, i think they're for our entertainment and to make this site stand out <.<

I'll take Zezima's word over yours any day. Come up with some better evidence (or just come up with some evidence to begin with) and then I'll start listening to your claims.

This whole idea of "I can't be that efficient so he must not be that efficient so there just has to be another explanation" is just ridiculous.

It was already obvious that zezima was consistently efficient considering the amount of exp he gains and the amount of time he gains it in as well as the fact that he doesn't spend time doing things like pking. Therefore that's not an unreasonable claim to make on his part

The rest is the neither unreasonable nor fishy either.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

ill be honest i do partially lead a good life, i have a healthy body, good friends but also suffer bipole depression so my confidence isnt a strong one. because of a recent move most my friends live on the opposite side of the town i live and becomes hard to access, of course this is only temperaraly (i can never spell that word) as i am able to obtain my P1 license soon so travel wont be a hold back. personally i belive location is also a major affect on players, hardly any friends play runescape anymore and myself have grown tired of jagex's desperate attempts to keep members. regardless when i get my computer fixed up im quitting the horrible game that i've played to entertain me for 6 years and get back into my digital artwork.

LOL, especially at your first remark.

And its the usual topic again, people defend for themselfes they're no nerds, Reb comes with some very good and sarcastic post, and people continue to make a fool of themselfes.

And I cant do anything else but laugh and agree with Reb. <3:

ltjemightyro9.png

Retired.

Oh come on, can't you see its one of Rebs weekly sarcasm exploding posts? I could say that I am bill gates, or the evil psychokid next door, I could pretend im female, or evena nut pretending to be a rabbit. The internet isnt reliable on personal information.

I always wait for Reb to step into these topics and litterally pwn half of the posters here. We really don't want you to defend yourself, for what infact? So people on the internet know your not a nerd? :? .

Yes, I am a nerd, in full glory. I have never had a girlfriend since I was born, wich is nearly 17 years ago now. I spend quite allot of time on the computer, and some of that on Runescape. I have about 10 real life friends, wich I find very loyal and cool, even though they are nerds and nolifers too. I have fun in my nerdy life, sue me.

And who seriously would care about my information I just gave you. Thats right, noone of you. You guys wouldn't think, Dude, now I know Dharockslayer is a nerd, I am completely happy with myself now.

So people, please don't start scrambling your life story here to proof to people on a Runescape forum that you are not a geek/nerd/nolifer/psychokid. Because no one cares.

I logged on just to respond to this. What Dh is saying is completely true.

My friend in rl is always talking about how I havn't had sex yet (16, multiple chances to). Always. Whenever it comes up, I just say I havn't found the right girl yet (to put this in prspective, he was majorly addicted to Wow and now has a rather active sex life) and he usually mocks me for it.

I'm not religious, and I would have no problem with pre-marrital sex. I just don't want to lose my virginity to one of his stupid [bleep]ty friends.

At any rate, you should respect what people do with their lives. Even if it doesn't seem right to you, at all, there's no reason to change that person if he/she is having fun with their lives.

And I know, for a fact, that my life is better than his. :)

There we have the "explain-why-you-are-not-a-nerd/geek" posts again :roll:

I just like how some people like to judge your success in life based solely on your social skills. :roll: It's their lives, people can choose to live it whatever they like, who are you to judge and criticise?

Way to totally miss the point. really.

a little side note: does a nerd shoot real guns/rifles and do competative archery? and i dont think some members of tip.it want to hear you flaunting about your gf's bra size either Rebdragon because its those guys who i get the urge to shoot. -.-

Wow buddy, those are the kind of comments that have got me temp banned in the past :P . Take a deep breathe, chill, and go get up and fix your sarcasm detector once you're calm enough not to finish off what little is left of it in the process.

I logged on just to respond to this. What Dh is saying is completely true.

My friend in rl is always talking about how I havn't had sex yet (16, multiple chances to). Always. Whenever it comes up, I just say I havn't found the right girl yet (to put this in prspective, he was majorly addicted to Wow and now has a rather active sex life) and he usually mocks me for it.

I'm not religious, and I would have no problem with pre-marrital sex. I just don't want to lose my virginity to one of his stupid [bleep]ty friends.

At any rate, you should respect what people do with their lives. Even if it doesn't seem right to you, at all, there's no reason to change that person if he/she is having fun with their lives.

And I know, for a fact, that my life is better than his. :)

I like what you said there Aj. Anyone who goes for the first sex they can get is probably really perverted. Which really repells girls. Good Job on that. AND Rebdragon what Aura said wasn't that bad....

Pheonix Elite- obsessing 1 RS member at a time.

Narutosig75-1.jpg

Thanks Harrinator1 for the sig!