How many languages can you speak?

dsavi

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I speak English very well (native tounge) - 1.5 points

Hablo un poco espả̮̱̉ol; no puedo hablarlo muy bien ahora, pero aprender̮̩̉̉ hablarlo bien finalmente - ~1 punto, pienso

I know a ton of other random bits from various languages, and I can sometimes use Spanish to understand other Romance languages - another .5 points, maybe?

1l= 17 (0l_ll\l75, 1 (4l\l 5l*34l< 1337 \/\/311 - 1 l*01l\l7! :P

So my total is 2.5 for English and Spanish, 3 if you count the bits and pieces, and 4 if you include the 1337 for some reason :P. 2.5 to 4 - not bad, I guess :).

A very nice topic ^^

1.5 points for speaking, writing and understanding English..

1.5 points for speaking, writing and understanding Dutch (doh, my mother language ^^)

0.5 point for understanding French..

1 point for understanding and speaking German (although I'm not very good at it..)

And I speak/write 'un poco' Spanish ^^ +1 (one of my school subjects, my first year tough)

I can understand/write some Greek and Latin stuff too, but that doesnt actually count I think ^^ cause its not 'that' much..

Oh and I can read some Egyptian too lol

So thats... 5.5 points.. Muah.. Will do I guess

P.S. Does American and English language count for 3 points? ::'

_.:Lara's BL0g:._ <= Quests, Farming & Herblore => <3 <3

98 Woodcutting | 82 Cooking | 71 Attack | 67 Magic | 70 Firemaking | 66 Fletching | QP=206 | Total 1428! =D

cosmiccompanywcshopaq9.png <--- Click for the link

Nice topic. :)

-Speak Spanish fluently

-Japanese fluently

-Latin Fluently

-Can understand Greek

-Speak German

Can understand French, suck at speaking it. -.-

-Barely but Egyptian.

-1337 Fluently :P

-English

EDIT: Can understand Dutch

My best here are Latin, Spanish, Japanese, and German. I'm meh in everything else... ::'

Hoping to get a new Signature (with matching avatar) soon. :D

In the meantime...Steam username: )I'll rewrite it later (add me if you want)

Cool topic.

Speak, Understand and Write Arabic (main language).

Speak, Understand and Write English.

Speak, Understand and Write French.

Speak and Understand Chaldean.

Understand a bit of Latin.

So in total, my score is 6 =D>.

*Started Runescape in 1st of August 2005*.

Sweetfruits89.jpeg

-Speak Spanish fluently

-Japanese fluently

-Latin Fluently

-Can understand Greek

-Speak German

-Barely but Egyptian.

-English

My best here are Latin, Spanish, Japanese, and German. I'm meh in everything else... ::'

You can speak Latin fluently :-s ?

Wait, you know all those languages!? How old are you?!

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

-Speak Spanish fluently

-Japanese fluently

-Latin Fluently

-Can understand Greek

-Speak German

-Barely but Egyptian (Arabic).

-English

Yes, learned Latin first, which helped me understand the other languages. One of my teachers taught me the second easiest language, Japanese. My dad lived in Germany as a kid and learned it, then taught it to me. My family is Mexican, so ya I know Spanish :P (they're also Italian, never had a chance to learn it though :x ) Egyptian (or the Arabic language) was from one of my teachers who can speak it, along with Greek and Hebrew. (Also how I can understand it Greek) Only can understand French because most of my friends took it and caught with the language easily. Lastly Dutch because my grandfather knows it. :) And I'm a born American. So I know the English language.

So ya. To me, it's not fun knowing some of these languages. I hate German, it's a really ugly language. Words sound strange sometimes...I dislike Arabic, no, I hate it as well, but it's fairly easy. I call it Egyptian because I hate it so, so much. :)

In response to your Latin part of the post:

Latin can be spoken also, it's the easiest language, people jus take it as...Dead. Cause it is. But it's easy; many English cognates in the language that help. Conjugations are easy. And so are tenses. It's as easy as turning something like..."They will praise the Gods in many languages" into "Deos multis linguis laudabunt" or "Semper ubi sub ubi" into "Always wear underwear." This phrase, though, is spelled "Always where under where" since there isn't underwear in the language.

Also, I'm 15 1/2. Learned these languages nearly all of my life...Since I was seven. Wow, that's scary...

I'm lost here. Egyptians speak arabic Laughing I'm looking forwards to learning arabic as well

I hate Arabic, it's easy, but it bored me a whole lot. But I call it Egyptian cause I hate it. I told my teacher that and he doesn't understand it either. :lol: But he could tell I hated it, even though I'm good at it.

Hoping to get a new Signature (with matching avatar) soon. :D

In the meantime...Steam username: )I'll rewrite it later (add me if you want)

-Speak Spanish fluently

-Japanese fluently

-Latin Fluently

-Can understand Greek

-Speak German

-Barely but Egyptian (Arabic).

-English

Yes, learned Latin first, which helped me understand the other languages. One of my teachers taught me the second easiest language, Japanese. My dad lived in Germany as a kid and learned it, then taught it to me. My family is Mexican, so ya I know Spanish :P (they're also Italian, never had a chance to learn it though :x ) Egyptian (or the Arabic language) was from one of my teachers who can speak it, along with Greek and Hebrew. (Also how I can understand it Greek) Only can understand French because most of my friends took it and caught with the language easily. Lastly Dutch because my grandfather knows it. :)

So ya. To me, it's not fun knowing some of these languages. I hate German, it's a really ugly language. Words sound strange sometimes...I dislike Arabic, no, I hate it as well, but it's fairly easy. I call it Egyptian because I hate it so, so much. :)

Latin can be spoken also, it's the easiest language, people jus take it as...Dead. Cause it is. But it's easy; many English cognates in the language that help. Conjugations are easy. And so are tenses. It's as easy as turning something like..."They will praise the Gods in many languages" into "Deos multis linguis laudabunt" or "Semper ubi sub ubi" into "Always wear underwear." This phrase, though, is spelled "Always where under where" since there isn't underwear in the language.

I'm lost here. Egyptians speak arabic Laughing I'm looking forwards to learning arabic as well

I hate Arabic, it's easy, but it bored me a whole lot. But I call it Egyptian cause I hate it. I told my teacher that and he doesn't understand it either. :lol: But he could tell I hated it, even though I'm good at it.

Lol, I am so yealous, everyone of my family are just (boring) dutch..

_.:Lara's BL0g:._ <= Quests, Farming & Herblore => <3 <3

98 Woodcutting | 82 Cooking | 71 Attack | 67 Magic | 70 Firemaking | 66 Fletching | QP=206 | Total 1428! =D

cosmiccompanywcshopaq9.png <--- Click for the link

Also, I'm 15 1/2. Learned these languages nearly all of my life...Since I was seven. Wow, that's scary...

I know that information- I can read Latin fluently. But to actually speak the language? It's rare to find that taught, and even rarer to find anyone who can actually do it.

I mean, if I have time to think I can create phrases fairly easily, but nearly all of what I learned involved translating from Latin to English, almost always that one way. Heh, last year I spent the whole class translating most of Virgil's Aeneid from Latin to English, so I pretty much have little-to-no training whatsoever in the field of English to Latin, for both reading and speaking :( .

But I do have to agree with you about the ease- once you understand the structure (it's a little complicated, especially for verbs), nearly every word follows the rules, so there's no real thought needed about where exceptions pop up and where they don't, considering how few there are. It's probably one of the most well structured languages I've ever encountered. Ironically, that's probably one of the main reasons it died :lol: .

On a side note, would you say Japanese is hard to learn? And do you think the number of homophones in the languages causes problems when trying to understand it?

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I can speak 3 languages :-w

I compensate for my lack of foreign language mastery by being very fluent, succinct, verbose, sophisticated and concise in my mother tongue- English.

I compensate for nothing at all by being very fluent, succinct, verbose, sophisticated and consise in English too. Really, that isn't compensation.

BTW, I din't really intend this topic to be ressurected from the omnious depths of page 2. But it's ok, as long as it promotes intelligent discussion.

C2b6gs7.png

I can speak, Understand and write English (1.5)

I can speak, understand and write Chinese (1.5)

I can speak and understand another 3 more chinese dialects (Min Nan, Cantonese and Henghua) (3) (it's impossible to write them, blame Qin Shi Huang)

I can understand Bahasa Melayu and the Kelantanese dialect (1)

so my total score is 7, If you don't count dialects, it's 3.5

(edit: oh and I speak gibberish, so it's 7.5)

English, Italian, and I can understand Spanish so that would be 5 points right?

[img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/pianist4/sig.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/pianist4/GrilledCat1.png[/img]
[img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/pianist4/siggygangsterpiano.jpg[/img]