Someone spilled coffee again? Some logging servers offlin..

The_Gabe

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7101075.stm

"BBC political correspondent Laura Kuenssberg said the prime minister will echo recent remarks that climate change is real and urgent."

Look at the date of the new, was at the same time of system down.

http://www.jagex.com/corporate/Jobs/reasonsToJoin.ws

"Jagex aims to be a carbon neutral company; we buy electricity wherever possible from a renewable energy company, Ecotricity. We offset all other carbon emissions. We promote recycling around the office and use fair trade products. We also offer team members a monthly free bike repair service and promote a car sharing scheme to further limit our carbon footprint."

Jagex is busy trying to save the world...

Cafebcs.png

cafebcs.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7101075.stm

"BBC political correspondent Laura Kuenssberg said the prime minister will echo recent remarks that climate change is real and urgent."

Look at the date of the new, was at the same time of system down.

http://www.jagex.com/corporate/Jobs/reasonsToJoin.ws

"Jagex aims to be a carbon neutral company; we buy electricity wherever possible from a renewable energy company, Ecotricity. We offset all other carbon emissions. We promote recycling around the office and use fair trade products. We also offer team members a monthly free bike repair service and promote a car sharing scheme to further limit our carbon footprint."

Jagex is busy trying to save the world...

Rofl train! :XD:

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

According to various posts in RSC, somebody in Jagex staff messed up and allowed some kind of keylogger to infect the server, so they had to take everything offline. Now, so typical of Jagex, they hid all the threads about it and are locking any further threads. Covering their tracks, instead of being forthright with their customers. Bastards.

td2sig.jpg

According to various posts in RSC, somebody in Jagex staff messed up and allowed some kind of keylogger to infect the server, so they had to take everything offline. Now, so typical of Jagex, they hid all the threads about it and are locking any further threads. Covering their tracks, instead of being forthright with their customers. Bastards.

That rumor is as good as the next persons'. It's honestly like someone from here saying that it was Andrew's cat that pulled the plug.

Seriously, wait until an official response. Don't give me this 'they're covering their tracks' crap, either.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I'd say those threads were likely locked because they contained nothing but rumours that are likely to inspire unnecessary upset and distress in other players.

I always run Updated Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware as well as doing regular Anti-Rootkit scans. I've logged back in and there is simply no problem here.

Though very few players have repeatedly posted such hoaxes with malicious intent, I still think it's unnecessary and unhelpful, for those who continue to do so when there's obviously no evidence to support such claims -.-

For players who've been spooked by these hoxes, however have lost out further on their game-play simply because a few wish to amuse themselves at the expense of other less well informed players.

---

Andrew has made a post now here:

* RuneScape Forums > Recent Updates > This mornings outage

* Quick find Code: 15-16-889-53971080

Apparently Andrew is sleep deprived from several days of programming. Maybe his coffee was spilled but I don't think they allow coffee in server rooms these days. If anyone here has worked in any server rooms they're usually environmentally controlled and locked safety beyond the reach of coffee spillages :P

Players can give feedback to Jagex on that open sticky if they like, but I'm sure everyone else is too busy getting back into the game ;)

feywarriorgreenlu9.gif

banneruh3.jpg

Omfg, someone stole my internet!

It's honestly like someone from here saying that it was Andrew's cat that pulled the plug.

Andrew's cat did what! He probably should lay off the catnip.

I'm sure some of you are wondering why the game/website wasn't working for 3 hours this morning.

It was caused by a hardware failure at our main hosting facility. At around 1:30am GMT for some reason the router/firewall broke and stopped forwarding traffic to the internet! (why do these things always seems to happen in the middle of the night at the weekend?)

[ ... ]

Sorry for the inconveniance.

Andrew

Quoted from RuneScape Forums > Recent Updates > This mornings outage

For anyone who has worked in Information Technology Network support or Telecommunications, this occurs far more often than people realise.

The fact this was fixed in under 3 hours in the wee-hours of Sunday night shows Jagex likely has a very good warranty from their communications company who supply the hardware. Routers of the level I expect broke aren't cheap; they're usually in the realms of 10s of thousands of pounds/dollars/euros each.

And even if there is redundancy built in (i.e. identical routers sitting alongside) all sorts of issues can occur if the equipment doesn't fail correctly, and keeps running so the redundant harware doesn't kick it. That sounds like the case here.

I know only last Friday Australia's major telecommunications provider had a major failure that took our all the DSL connections in our area of the city for several hours too. It really does happen all the time and not even the telcos themselves are immune.

Regards,

Fey.

feywarriorgreenlu9.gif

banneruh3.jpg

Omfg, someone stole my internet!

It's honestly like someone from here saying that it was Andrew's cat that pulled the plug.

Andrew's cat did what! He probably should lay off the catnip.

I'm sure some of you are wondering why the game/website wasn't working for 3 hours this morning.

It was caused by a hardware failure at our main hosting facility. At around 1:30am GMT for some reason the router/firewall broke and stopped forwarding traffic to the internet! (why do these things always seems to happen in the middle of the night at the weekend?)

[ ... ]

Sorry for the inconveniance.

Andrew

Quoted from RuneScape Forums > Recent Updates > This mornings outage

For anyone who has worked in Information Technology Network support or Telecommunications, this occurs far more often than people realise.

The fact this was fixed in under 3 hours in the wee-hours of Sunday night shows Jagex likely has a very good warranty from their communications company who supply the hardware. Routers of the level I expect broke aren't cheap; they're usually in the realms of 10s of thousands of pounds/dollars/euros each.

And even if there is redundancy built in (i.e. identical routers sitting alongside) all sorts of issues can occur if the equipment doesn't fail correctly, and keeps running so the redundant harware doesn't kick it. That sounds like the case here.

I know only last Friday Australia's major telecommunications provider had a major failure that took our all the DSL connections in our area of the city for several hours too. It really does happen all the time and not even the telcos themselves are immune.

Regards,

Fey.

Lol@telstra bigpond, at any given moment you can get on the page and look at the known faults and server downs in australia, ussually a minimum of 10 at a time.

LOL, love the thread title.

Dunno if it's my imagination or something, but I've been finding the servers are getting less reliable lately. I went through a week long period where I was frequently being booted from UK worlds.

I know in the country I live in there are issues at times with the reliability of the Internet Service Provider.

While I'm not saying you should not notify Jagex of your concern, this outage was not related to the servers at all. For me and my connection I know lag is an issue, even though I have a DSL connection. The only solution for me though is to move states or move to a country with much service provision like New Zealand (apparently Australia ranks way below New Zealand reportedly thanks an Australian telco another player named on the previous page; there are certainly some customers that do express a lot of dissatisfaction regarding that providers level of service).

What occurred in the outage though was a complicated piece of routing equipment went rogue. If you've seen routing tables, and the esoteric logic that goes into routers (which the Internet depends on) you'd be left wondering how the Internet works at all. A good thing to learn from is attempting to set up a router from scratch (a Linux box) and write all the 1000s of rules just to network a few computers to the Internet. Firewalls and routers can difficult to run at the best of times.

My point here was that this was an unexpected issue, which has likely occurred for every enterprise that runs a network. It's not something that's recurring or cause for undue concern.

Regards,

Fey.

feywarriorgreenlu9.gif

banneruh3.jpg

LOL, love the thread title.

Dunno if it's my imagination or something, but I've been finding the servers are getting less reliable lately. I went through a week long period where I was frequently being booted from UK worlds.

I know in the country I live in there are issues at times with the reliability of the Internet Service Provider.

While I'm not saying you should not notify Jagex of your concern, this outage was not related to the servers at all. For me and my connection I know lag is an issue, even though I have a DSL connection. The only solution for me though is to move states or move to a country with much service provision like New Zealand (apparently Australia ranks way below New Zealand reportedly thanks an Australian telco another player named on the previous page; there are certainly some customers that do express a lot of dissatisfaction regarding that providers level of service).

What occurred in the outage though was a complicated piece of routing equipment went rogue. If you've seen routing tables, and the esoteric logic that goes into routers (which the Internet depends on) you'd be left wondering how the Internet works at all. A good thing to learn from is attempting to set up a router from scratch (a Linux box) and write all the 1000s of rules just to network a few computers to the Internet. Firewalls and routers can difficult to run at the best of times.

My point here was that this was an unexpected issue, which has likely occurred for every enterprise that runs a network. It's not something that's recurring or cause for undue concern.

Regards,

Fey.

We get it ffs.. You can stop posting that..

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

I think its a new employee at Jagex that spilled the cofee.

He thought when they said "This game is programmed in java" they actually meant "This game is covered with java". Its a common problem with java programers :wink:

sig.jpg