Project Onyx | Issue 2 | December 1st, 2007

Skill_Caster

ProjectOnyx21.png

onyxcast2.gif

Issue 2, Volume 1 | December 1st, 2007

contentscz3ki5.png

headline.png

indentbv9.pngThis issue, we are very glad to have a guest writer, Qeltar, from Truthscape.com!(Green Saftey Rating)

Shadowcheval

Last Monday, Jagex introduced an update into RuneScape that many players had been waiting all of November for, the Grand Exchange. Now, IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ll skip the description, because by now, I expect everyone to have been there at least once. But many have complained of the plus or minus five percent price range that was embedded within the GE. The complaints are valid to the point that 5% is too small, but it is necessary.

Now, let me explain. When Jagex originally began planning the Grand Exchange, they probably decided on a 10% swing rate both ways. This is speculation, but I derive this number from MonopolyÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæand because itÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s just an easy number to work with. Now, the important thing to remember is not the exact number for the swing rate, but that there was one. I sincerely believe that at no point did Jagex even consider making the GE a free and unregulated market. Why?

Because a free market of the anonymous variety allows a small coalition of rich players to carefully and precisely drive the price of certain goods upwards. And IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢m not even referring to the monopolies. Let me attempt to explain myself via an example.

LetÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s assume that gold ore costs 40 gold. A group of rich, high level miners get together and decide that they want their gold to fetch higher prices. With the free and unhindered market, they would simply deposit a few million gps unto gold, and watch as the price of the gold skyrockets. Then, while the price is still shooting upward, they all quickly sell off their gold, resulting in a massive crash of gold prices. This would also affect crafters that rely on gold, and all jewelry, enchanted or otherwise. All of these items would crash in price from the flooding that would be produced. Under the GE, however, even if the miners decided to do this, it would take days, even weeks, before gold would become completely unprofitable. And monopolies are also counteracted under the GE. It would be very difficult for multiple rich players to quickly and effectively plunder a rare market like Santa hats or Halloween masks.

No matter how frustrating it seems, I do not believe that Jagex will ever repeal the trading limit. They might extend it to perhaps 7% or 8%, but a full repeal would be completely contrary to the companyÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s position thus far. All you can do is hope that the prices that have been set stabilize to normal prices.

Qeltar

First of all, anyone who has read my prior comments on the GE already knows what IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢m going to say, so if youÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢re sick of my views on it you should probably skip this. Smile

So many people who worry about what the GE would do if it were a real free market bring up this sort of scenario. In doing so, they ignore history, just as Jagex ignored history by instituting the controls in the first place. What you describe is called ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬Åcornering the marketÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

tipitsig.png

Oh and shadow, were not the only paper to accidently let a few typos and grammar errors get past us :-w

I know, Randox, we were hampered a bit this week, due to RL stuff. But we'll be better next week :pray:

pouserbarkp4.png

Project Onyx Staff Writer. Stories, articles, and opinions, oh my!

Oh and shadow, were not the only paper to accidently let a few typos and grammar errors get past us :-w

I know, Randox, we were hampered a bit this week, due to RL stuff. But we'll be better next week :pray:

No one is perfect! :XD:

Good Job guys! =D>

unorclanpixelsigzu1.png

Thanks to the amazing talent of Jopie211 for the sig!

Finest Fist of Guthix Strategy Guide

A little FYI, we have an interview next week. Who could we possibly choose? :-w :?:

Gee, Shadow, I don't know :-k

Just curious...you guys have a site right?

If so....Use it. :-$

unorclanpixelsigzu1.png

Thanks to the amazing talent of Jopie211 for the sig!

Finest Fist of Guthix Strategy Guide

For the holidays, Project Onyx will be not be publishing this weekend as we settle into our holiday schedules. However, word is going around at the Project Onyx site is that we might just be presenting a rather special Christmas present... :-$ :-$ :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w

Uber over-emoticon usage.

tipitsig.png

For the holidays, Project Onyx will be not be publishing this weekend as we settle into our holiday schedules. However, word is going around at the Project Onyx site is that we might just be presenting a rather special Christmas present... :-$ :-$ :-w :-w :-w :-w :-w

ahh, gonna miss it!

You guys have a site? What is it? :lol:

ahh, gonna miss it!

You guys have a site? What is it? :lol:

The url is disclosed to staff members only :) Sorry!

tipitsig.png