Lock please

bubbyjoe2

Ummm, well, a nicely thought out idea, although i doubt you'll ever see it happen, sorry. It would be kinda cool to see this, but there would be way too many trains on the tracks. Also, F2Pers don't really have that long of distances to go, so I don't think we need a way to travel faster (I'm F2P by the way). And, Jagex would never give us something this big, no offense Jagex :) . Like I said, It'd be pretty cool, but I don't think it's nessecary.

Is that a support...or not?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea but.......... runescape is based on the medieval time period. And they didn't have trains then.

91% percent of the people polled said they were liers. The other 9% lied to us.

:? I don't quite understand the concept.

So it would be like canoe stations, except everyone could have their own train and carry others on it?

Why have fixed rates for the use of someone's train?

How would riding the trains work? Would it be like the POH system (At the station, there's a "Ride a Friend's Train" option)?

Do you have to be on the your train yourself to operate it?

I might have more questions later, but this is all I can think of with my current understanding of the idea. :P

Trahybyen.gif

Trahybyen.png

*sigh*

There is a link in my goals picture. <--An Unnecessary Update

:O

:? I don't quite understand the concept.

So it would be like canoe stations, except everyone could have their own train and carry others on it? Yes. Although, you can see the ride on the train as if you were running along the tracks, not just a little picture of a train going across a map.

Why have fixed rates for the use of someone's train? Show me a train car that can carry an unlimited amount of goods. And, since most members aren't too keen on giving F2P faster transportation systems, give us a limited way of fast transportation.

How would riding the trains work? Would it be like the POH system (At the station, there's a "Ride a Friend's Train" option)? No.

Do you have to be on the your train yourself to operate it? Yes.

I might have more questions later, but this is all I can think of with my current understanding of the idea. :P

So it would be like canoe stations, except everyone could have their own train and carry others on it? Yes. Although, you can see the ride on the train as if you were running along the tracks, not just a little picture of a train going across a map.

Why have fixed rates for the use of someone's train? Show me a train car that can carry an unlimited amount of goods. And, since most members aren't too keen on giving F2P faster transportation systems, give us a limited way of fast transportation.

How would riding the trains work? Would it be like the POH system (At the station, there's a "Ride a Friend's Train" option)? No.

Well, I was just asking about functionality. The important part of any system is not how it looks, but how it works.

As for the "fixed rate", I meant why not let players set their own price to their own trains? EDIT: Who says members aren't keen on giving F2P a faster method of transportation? Do we have ridiculously fast transport methods? By the way, I can't show you a train that with unlimited storage, but I can show you a spell that apparently understands the concept of how much a certain piece of paper is worth to a bank.

Involving riding trains: so at the stations, you will just see all the trains that are currently at that station, letting new passengers on? Will this be in list form or will you actually be able to see every single train that's currently at that station?

If you have to be on your own train to operate it, it doesn't seem like a very efficient way of making money. For one thing, it just seems like it'd be too inconvenient to have to be there while you cart people around, unable to do anything else. On one side, you might say "WHO WOULDN'T WANT TO RIDE MY TRAIN AND LIKE THERE'S GONNA BE PEOPLE ON EVERY STATION WHO WANTS TO RIDE MY TRAIN", but on the other hand, if everyone wants to profit from their trains, then the odds of people riding your train specifically will be low. It'll be like the Grand Exchange: it's easy to buy, but not as easy to sell. It'll be easier to find a conductor than to host your own train.

Although that's all just speculation.

EDIT: Here's another question. Why do trains have to be player-operated in the first place if every single train goes on the same exact route for the same exact price?

Trahybyen.gif

Trahybyen.png

*sigh*

Well, I was just asking about functionality. The important part of any system is not how it looks, but how it works.

As for the "fixed rate", I meant why not let players set their own price to their own trains? EDIT: Who says members aren't keen on giving F2P a faster method of transportation? Do we have ridiculously fast transport methods? By the way, I can't show you a train that with unlimited storage, but I can show you a spell that apparently understands the concept of how much a certain piece of paper is worth to a bank.

Involving riding trains: so at the stations, you will just see all the trains that are currently at that station, letting new passengers on? Will this be in list form or will you actually be able to see every single train that's currently at that station?

If you have to be on your own train to operate it, it doesn't seem like a very efficient way of making money. For one thing, it just seems like it'd be too inconvenient to have to be there while you cart people around, unable to do anything else. On one side, you might say "WHO WOULDN'T WANT TO RIDE MY TRAIN AND LIKE THERE'S GONNA BE PEOPLE ON EVERY STATION WHO WANTS TO RIDE MY TRAIN", but on the other hand, if everyone wants to profit from their trains, then the odds of people riding your train specifically will be low. It'll be like the Grand Exchange: it's easy to buy, but not as easy to sell. It'll be easier to find a conductor than to host your own train.

Although that's all just speculation.

EDIT: Here's another question. Why do trains have to be player-operated in the first place if every single train goes on the same exact route for the same exact price?

I've edited it so now the boarding fees can be changed by players. That way, players have a certain reason to board a certain train. (Ex. cheapest, fastest, etc.)

Also, members have many more, faster methods of transportation. free players have few. Think spirit trees, fairy rings, more teleports, etc. I consider F2p the "working class" of Runescape. They provide much of the lobsters, yews, coal, and other resources that P2P needs. (And not just the bots, which this update won't help very much). So, why not make F2P be able to boost their production?

And with the lists.

It does make sense to put on the timetable what trains are ready for boarding, their routes, what they can ship, their cost, and the type of locomotives. I'll make some ASCII models of what they will look like.

I think the technology described is too modern for this type of game.

Railroads already exist to a certain extent with the dwarfen mines and the coal mining facility west of Seers. I guess they could expand this network further.

Nobody really uses the coal mining facility... for a good reason. IT ONLY CAN MOVE FLIPPING COAL!

Is that a support or a non-support?

I use the coal mining there. Its fairly quick without long trips to bank every run.

I think its kinda modern for this game, but i guess anything is possible.

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg

Also, members have many more, faster methods of transportation. free players have few. Think spirit trees, fairy rings, more teleports, etc. I consider F2p the "working class" of Runescape. They provide much of the lobsters, yews, coal, and other resources that P2P needs. (And not just the bots, which this update won't help very much). So, why not make F2P be able to boost their production?

Spirit trees teleport people between four places. It's not that convenient, and not that fast. It's more like a good way to get around to places they can take you... if you're already by one.

Fairy rings? Rarely are there fairy rings that are actually RIGHT NEXT TO an important spot.

P2P has more teleports because there are more, farther-out places to go in its world than in F2P.

As for F2P being the "working class" of runescape: do you not realize that P2P-ers also fish lobsters, chop yews, and mine coal? I'm not against F2P boosting its production, but don't make blunt statements about P2P being dependent upon F2P for raw resources that P2P-ers can get faster.

Trahybyen.gif

Trahybyen.png

*sigh*

You've obviously put a lot of work into this, but possibly not quite enough thought. I have several objections, in no particular order...

Technology

Runescape is a medieval setting, trains don't really fit into that.

Sure, sure, I know about the dwarf trucks, but there's a difference. A little anachronism, handled with wit, enhances the game. The dwarves have a subway system, but it's kinda crazy when you think about it - nothing like a real railway. It also has a limited visual impact - a few tracks leading off into caves and the odd cut scene. The same applies to balloons and gnome gliders and other silliness - they're quite joky and low-key.

You're proposing to criss-cross the whole of Misthalin and Asgarnia with double railroad tracks, with trains rushing this way and that. That'll really change the look of the game.

Pedestrians

If you have to click to cross the track, kinda like crossing an agility obstacle or a stile now, it's going to make it a pain to walk/run anywhere in the area covered by the railways. You can't just click on where you want to go on the mini-map because the RR track is going to keep getting in the way. Try drawing a map of where all those tracks go and the number of walking routes they'll cut and you'll see what I mean.

Practicality

If you have trains running at different speeds, what happens when a fast loco gets stuck behind a slow one?

What is the point of all those freight cars when most of your stations are near banks who can transport any amount of stuff instantly?

You say that people will be keen to travel from Port Sarim to Draynor by train, but they've got to pay x gp for a ticket, wait 35 seconds while the train blows its whistle, trundle along the track at whatever speed, and hope that the driver doesn't log out or run out of fuel on the way. Couldn't they have just walked there in that time for free? (If it wasn't for all the ruddy RR tracks getting in the way).

Pointlessness

If Jagex want to solve the "problem" of transport for F2P players, they can just add a new teleport item - a "cheapskate's necklace" or something - for them to use.

But they have no reason to address this issue. F2P is meant to be a little frustrating. The banks are a little too small (OK, a lot too small!), the walking around takes a little too long, you're supposed to think "this is a good game, but I'd enjoy it so much more if I paid up for the good stuff". That's how Jagex make their money, and that's how the game gets the funding to keep getting better.

Sorry, but I think this is a lousy idea.

ac04aa6c29.png

Baraglas.png

No. No. No.

Why? Let's see, the dwarves are already pushing the RuneScape Technology limit to an extent.

How is that? With cannons? In medieval times, in which Runescape is apparently believed to be set, people had already been experimenting, if not practically using cannons. Asian fireworks ftw.

What's wrong with his idea is all of the functionality.

But I give him an A+ for effort. :D

Trahybyen.gif

Trahybyen.png

*sigh*

supposing JAGEX randomly decide to go along with that... it would slow down every world, and imagine if there were a couple of glitches, like you having lagg on ur computer, and you jump across the railroad, then the lagg kicks in and you get your player run over by a train...

no support.

O.mirzan-O.mirzan.gif

d drops/ legs(0) chain (0) axes (0) skirts (0) meds(0)/ visage! (0)/ rings (0)

-My Blog! Don't forget to post!

~Conclusion~

I'm sure F2P would use this as much as they could but members would just leave it to rot, thus most trains being F2P.

The high demand for food, logs, and some ores in f2p would keep people using the trains, especially from Port Sarim to Draynor. And the skillers don't want to raise their magic to teleport. Some non-magic pures may also like this update because the track runs from Lumbridge to Edgeville, giving them a quick and cheap ticket to the Wilderness.

In addition to everything I've previously added to this thread, I realized some more things:

Members would definitely not let this rot. Partially because it's a skill - every skill has its followers. Don't assume we won't like it just because it was meant for f2p-ers.

I was recently reading another thread about ...cowhides. It involved the fact that skillers can't get their own hides because they want to keep their pure level three combat. A common enough response was that being a skiller was a limitation that skillers themselves had unnecessarily imposed upon their persons. Therefore, there need not be any action to make their lives easier - it's not a requirement for the game.

Players cannot stand on the track, but they can jump over the track by clicking on it, when a train is not nearby.

This would definitely not work. Too many people would have too many trains, and no one would be able to jump any tracks. Ever. And if they could, people would organize Train Spam jokes.

And if they didn't, I would.

<3

Trahybyen.gif

Trahybyen.png

*sigh*

You've obviously put a lot of work into this, but possibly not quite enough thought. I have several objections, in no particular order...

Technology

Runescape is a medieval setting, trains don't really fit into that.

Sure, sure, I know about the dwarf trucks, but there's a difference. A little anachronism, handled with wit, enhances the game. The dwarves have a subway system, but it's kinda crazy when you think about it - nothing like a real railway. It also has a limited visual impact - a few tracks leading off into caves and the odd cut scene. The same applies to balloons and gnome gliders and other silliness - they're quite joky and low-key.

You're proposing to criss-cross the whole of Misthalin and Asgarnia with double railroad tracks, with trains rushing this way and that. That'll really change the look of the game.

Pedestrians

If you have to click to cross the track, kinda like crossing an agility obstacle or a stile now, it's going to make it a pain to walk/run anywhere in the area covered by the railways. You can't just click on where you want to go on the mini-map because the RR track is going to keep getting in the way. Try drawing a map of where all those tracks go and the number of walking routes they'll cut and you'll see what I mean.

Practicality

If you have trains running at different speeds, what happens when a fast loco gets stuck behind a slow one?

What is the point of all those freight cars when most of your stations are near banks who can transport any amount of stuff instantly?

You say that people will be keen to travel from Port Sarim to Draynor by train, but they've got to pay x gp for a ticket, wait 35 seconds while the train blows its whistle, trundle along the track at whatever speed, and hope that the driver doesn't log out or run out of fuel on the way. Couldn't they have just walked there in that time for free? (If it wasn't for all the ruddy RR tracks getting in the way).

Pointlessness

If Jagex want to solve the "problem" of transport for F2P players, they can just add a new teleport item - a "cheapskate's necklace" or something - for them to use.

But they have no reason to address this issue. F2P is meant to be a little frustrating. The banks are a little too small (OK, a lot too small!), the walking around takes a little too long, you're supposed to think "this is a good game, but I'd enjoy it so much more if I paid up for the good stuff". That's how Jagex make their money, and that's how the game gets the funding to keep getting better.

Sorry, but I think this is a lousy idea.

A while ago, I once saw a thread on the RSOF called "Flat Coke, Flat Runescape" and it went something like this:

"Imagine you are advertizing for Coca-Cola, and you are handing out free cans of Coke as samples. If you wanted to convince them that Coca-Cola was the best drink around, would you give them a warm, flat can, or a cold, fizzy can? You would probably give them the cold, fizzy can to make them want to buy the product."

"Jagex, however, does not use this method. They give F2P as a boring, repetitive version of the game, which greatly reflects the member version. This makes would-be customers say, "Sheesh, I'm not paying my hard earned cash for a lousy game." And if Jagex said, "But the P2P version is better!" They would think they were just trying to swindle you out of your money. It's just like giving the customer a flat can of Coke and promising that if you pay for it it'll be better."

-----------------------------------

The jumping over the tracks and the trains slowing each other down has been eliminated so it isn't a problem.

And the technology.

That isn't much of a problem, the trains I'm talking about are from the 1830's to 50's, some of the first invented.

Looks like somebody didn't read the conclusion.

And the technology.

That isn't much of a problem, the trains I'm talking about are from the 1830's to 50's, some of the first invented.

No. No. No.

Why? Let's see, the dwarves are already pushing the RuneScape Technology limit to an extent.

How is that? With cannons? In medieval times, in which Runescape is apparently believed to be set, people had already been experimenting, if not practically using cannons. Asian fireworks ftw.

What's wrong with his idea is all of the functionality.

Looks like somebody doesn't read his replies.

Trahybyen.gif

Trahybyen.png

*sigh*