The importance of F2P in Runescape

Central_Keeper

Important point before you post. Please read the entire opening post and other players posts before posting your own opinions, granted not all the points covered by the opening post covers everything, but that is the point of this post, we add constructive comments as we go along, so everyone can contribute to something and understand the point of this post. You might not find all your questions answer in the first page, but dont jump ahead and type flamming comments, but please go to page 2, 3, and so on and read each other posts to get possible answer. Of course, if I make the OP too long, people tend to get bored and leave, or make more destructive response. Side notes: thanks to those points this out, its good that you guys take time and read through the whole thread.

Like the other related post, people seems to get into spirit of biting at each others head whether or not F2P should get more updates or not. So I am just going to post my own opinion, and please post your opinion too so everyone can toss in alittle something so both P2P and F2P can understand each other better.

First of all, FROM WHAT I OBSERVED (does not mean the true representation of the whole RS population) I often think F2P worlds are the main supplier of raw materials, I am sure once people get to high lvls, they wont really bother to gather raw resources such as coal, rune ess, raw food (for training cooking in repetitive way), the time it takes to get those items do take a while, if not, really long.

Here is some example

Try fish raw lobs and bank them at F2P, see how long it takes

Try cut yew logs and bank them at F2P, see how long it takes

Try mining rune ess and bank them at F2P, see how long that takes

Try mine coal, iron, and make steel bars, and see how long that takes

Now, the numbers of those items should be above 1k or more, so to satisfied the demand of high lvl people (F2P and P2P). Basically, members and higher lvl or more experienced players "generally" dont want to gather those supplies themselves, but to buy from other players or merchants (now with GE), so they can spend more time on important things, like say get 300k cooking, 200k smithing, or 100k RC exp in one day.

This might be abit off topic, but when the recent trade cap come out, people were complaining about how it stop real world trading and make bot to stop gathering all the resources, it sounds to me as people were so used to bot gathering all the stuff for them, they want to legalize the bots to stay in RS to get the stuff for them. So using this point, i just want to say that when bots first appeared in RS, more so in F2P world, they pretty much kill off large amoutn F2P players due to them taking spots and selling things at cheap prices. Alot of people are taking this indirect advantages from bots, and get alot of xp and goodies along the way, but now once the bots are gone, its like removing the resources suddenly and no one left to gather those things. So the outrage of sudden increase in price and lower quantity become main ammunition of unsatisfied players to Jagex

To be continue....

a happy Runescaper

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, not that F2Pers can cut yew and not have to compete with bots, many more will come to chop them. The prices wont drop to where they were with Bots, but they will drop

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Do you hate Wyverns or Warped Terrorbirds? Think again! Misunderstood Monsters!

Want to become a Champion of Champions like I once was? Champion Scroll Guide!

Feeling Bored? List of Sidequests

Rare Drops: Dragon Sq Half : 1, Dragon Med : 2, Dragon Claws : 2, Dragon Legs : 1, Dragon Boots : 60+, Granite Legs: 8

I'm pretty happy with what Jagex has been giving to f2p right now, and it's the most updates f2p has had since I started (I've been f2p for over three years, so I'd know 8-) ).

Prices of raw materials will probably stay the same for most items, because of the unbalenced trade rule and the GE's 5% fluctuation limit. Some things will slowly change though. Yew logs will go up, coal will go up and lobbies will probably go down due to less demand. Had jagex not made a 5% limit or made unbalenced trading illegal the prices would probably be wild and unpredictable for a while.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Yup, the price of yew log will drop eventually when more people start cutting them legitimately. it probably wont drop to 215 ea before (and hopefully not).

But it also shows another aspect how people want fast lvling without losing all the cash, pretty much, the cost of raw materials you buy, and get the end items, as well as making them to get the xp, tend to be a money losing process, unless the final products, whether alc it or sell it in half done for, bars and bows for example, will balance the initial buy.

a happy Runescaper

Great post :) Many more players should realise it

Realize what, exactly? I don't understand what the point is here.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Now, lets move on to more recent update like grand exchange, duel arena, and more bank space.

Well I guess more bank space is always welcome, but again, not needed, unless a f2per have tendency of keeping random event clothes, tinder boxes, and chisel, and hammer, and for some reason, ash, in their bank (some do keep chisel and tinderboxes for skill training, pking reasons and many other reasons i can't think of now). But with proper space managements, its actually very adequate.

Duel arena, well, I guess with the old wildy gone, thats kind of hard for proper fun duel in bounty hunter, again, its not really needed, since most of the F2P get by without them in the first place, but its always welcome to try it so people know they can do alot more in members (so maybe its Jagex's idea to spruce up the F2P, so players can expect more fun in member)

Grand exchange, well, this one probably made alot of high lvls happy (initially, lol), again, with the anti real tradining restriction in place, this will make more F2P or P2p alike to actually spend time to gather raw materials (more so compare to before bots appeared), so the current price is too high or low, and eventually stable at a position where both sellers and buyers will be happy.

a happy Runescaper

How F2P helps the member economy, I true don't think it helps...i see member running around in east varrock mining pure ess...i see members gather raw items, so i sdon't see how f2p helps...

Realize that F2P players are a vital and major part of the whole economy, even if they dont pay they deserve some kind of recognition.

How do F2P players help :

They gatter massive ammounts of low level ressources like iron, cow hides, willow and yews, coal and iron, rune ess... And sell it on the market at a price just low enought for all of us high level members to just buy the stuff and be happy with it instead of spending countless hours getting materials at a lower xp rate then we would get by just buying the stuff.

Without F2P players the game would be alot less fun since we would have to do these duties ourselves.

That role used to be futfilled by evil Macroers (R.I.P.). Now that they disapeared alot more F2P players will find themselves skilling to replace them.

Also you got to admit that if there was no F2P runescape would lose alot of it's appeal. Being completely unable to play or just login to talk with friends unless you're paying. F2P is the only source of new members, since nobody would suscribe to the game without playing it

Quest cape obtained at combat level 83, march 07.

The point of this discussion is simply to let people know, I guess more so for P2pers that F2Pers are also players too, we are simply enjoying the game as it goes along, anything new to us is good, but we can get by with old contents with "absolutely" no updates at all (for me anyways, naturally, people always want more). Mainly, we can't really control what Jagex wish to give to us, and we will have to deal with ads that show up everytime we play Runescape.

An Tip It article by one of famous Tip It staff pretty much express that opinion in some way before, of January 13, 2006

a happy Runescaper

I do know that members also collect raw materaisl too, whether how many of them are doing those tasks I really dont know. (I would assume alot since the pure ess updates)

Simply, those tasks "tend" to be done by new members who have just recently enter the member world, and still adapting to the new environment, cost of "living" is higher in P2P, so they can only make cash by the way they used to know back in F2P (at least till they are more experienced).

So overall, you still see alot of P2pers trade at F2P worlds for cheaper price of raw materails before the GE kicks in.

Of course, some high lvl or more experience player simply enjoy the process of getting materials too, to get xp, to talk with friends, but I dont really see many would bother to mine 400k coal and 200k iron, to get their smith 99, (again, some do, but most players usually dont do that)

a happy Runescaper

Just as is the case with bots.. they make some people happy, and others very UNhappy.

If F2Pers provide cheap goods for P2P, then that is good for those who consume those resources, but bad for P2Pers who want to produce the goods themselves. Since the GE came out and F2P/P2P economic integration has increased, the prices on many items have gone way down, effectively putting P2P players who used to gather those items out of business.

So.. there are winners and losers. I certainly reject any flat claim that F2P is "good" for P2P -- just as I rejected such claims about bots.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

^ Sure, it's a mixed bag, but I firmly believe that an extreme minority of 99'ers in cooking, fletching, firemaking, smithing, etc produced all their materials and that if f2p stopped producing raw materials that prices for nearly all goods would rise.

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

What I'm getting from this topic is; now that bots are gone. It's F2P's job to collect raw material.

Pretty much :-w

Lol...we treat them poorly.

Lol, yeah and I'm (pretty much) one of them \'

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

/agree

Members don't appreciate that the game would cease to function without f2p. They whine that f2p doesn't deserve updates but they keep the game running just as much as members do.

And I'd say the majority of members gathering resources like yews or fishing lobsters are not doing it to sell but for the exp and to get a 99.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

There isnt really anything thats define as "good" come from F2P in essnece, or whether or not they really contribute to the whole economy of Runescape is indeed important. Most importantly, I just know that you should get equal amount of cash that you earn for equal amount of time you put into to get those raw materals. From this point of view, both members and non members should be treated the same as how both equally contribute to each other. We mine the ores, fish the lobs, mine the ess, get the cow hides, so we can make cash by selling them to high lvl players, mostly p2p. Those cash in terms can buy nature runes, arrows (before the infinty stock updates), and rune items (since member tend to have more high lvl smithers).

Now members can probably exist without the F2Pers, but then again, it will cause another great wave of disturbance, people will complaining, people will rant, people will quit (all F2P of course), and eventually dust settles down, and life moves on (this is just refering to one of the older thread of people saying that Jagex should remove the F2P, of course, thats taking things to extreme and generally treated as a joke, since no one can know the game what F2P is like before getting into P2P).

As how one would lose cash with the xp training, its only natural, for example, if a F2P sell an addy bar for 2.5k, and p2p sell for 2.6k, more people will want to buy from F2P. Now if you gather all the materials yourself, thats alright, but if you buy all the material yourself and barely make a margin, or even lose cash, well considering you got some xp out of it and lose little cash it pretty much worth it, same goes for fletching (though I dont know if anyone would buy logs, fletch, and string them and alc them for gp anymore)

It always make me want to laugh when people want fast xp, and not losing cash at same time. Its possible to do it, of course, you need to be smart, efficient, and watch the price regularly, to make sure you make the right stuff at the right time, and sell them at the right price....if you can't grasp that, cash lost will generally occur.

a happy Runescaper

So? If they removed F2P so you HAD to pay to play, then those particular raw material prices would increase, so members would do that for money because it's the new best way to make money, but the prices will stabalise. Not to mention the fact that a lot of the F2Pers would become members because they wanted to play but did not want to pay, even though they do not mind paying.

Genius what you can think of in 2 seconds... :roll:

calciumpixelsigil3.png

Click my signature for my blog!

On another notes, most people I know do join member after playing the game for awhile, after how they see member comes on and display what they can potentially do if they do become a member, and F2P worlds tend to emphasis that whole idea of "train here slow, train at p2p very fast and fun".

So really to the point where some people consider F2P as freeloaders in RS world, its again a genearalization of the whole picture. (Refer to the Summoning for F2P post). I assume that most F2P play through the normal way where they have to see an ad everytime they play, now if they dont do something to those ad, they are in fact, helping to keep the F2P servers alive. As long as we follow those rules, and dont break them, whether or not we get update or not, I am just thankful that we have this good game to play for, and thank that Jagex keep the F2P arounds so more people can try it for a while, or simply enjoying the game in F2P perspective.

a happy Runescaper

Realize that F2P players are a vital and major part of the whole economy, even if they dont pay they deserve some kind of recognition.

This is nonsense.

Nature rune crafters help the nature rune market, shark fishers the shark market, high level monster hunters the rare armor/weapon market, rune smithers the rune market, essence miners the essence market. And so on and so on.

Why should I suddently praise F2P players for "helping" the economy? If they didn't do it low level P2P players would do it instead. So should I praise them then? In that case they should praise me for bringing in more dragon axes, dragon boots, god swords etc.

Should we just all gather in large circles and chant out our names and rejoice ?

Topic la logic, no.

fredzsodbtt6.jpg

21 lag piles, 4 Pjs, 2 Party hat kills, 67 newbs teached.

So? If they removed F2P so you HAD to pay to play, then those particular raw material prices would increase, so members would do that for money because it's the new best way to make money, but the prices will stabalise. Not to mention the fact that a lot of the F2Pers would become members because they wanted to play but did not want to pay, even though they do not mind paying.

Genius what you can think of in 2 seconds... :roll:

Thats true, but if I have to go through all the process of making another account, and to pay 5 dollars to play this game, it will take some time to convince me without knowing the content of the package, I doubt anyone will do member the instant they jump to Runescape mainpage, simply press the view in game image and decide i want to be member right away.

Granted the cost of member per month is very cheap, its like one happy meal for the whole month of fun and fast xp, but again, people play this game differently, some people do have the cash but choose to remain F2P to get harder challenges.

That apply to new players, as for the case of older players, I dont know what they will do, some might join members, some might quit and do other things, but Jagex will lose more customer in the long run since people dont like to buy something before they knew nothing about.

The economy will always go up and down due to minor or big updates, its like a stock market (or stock exchange), and players will always adapt sooner or later (unless the change is too extreme), but if I was a member, I would probably spend alot of my time on quests and fighting alot of cool monsters, rather then spending all my time gathering resources, because thats what P2P offers, so as in case of F2P, since we get less quests and monsters, all we can really do is gather materials or maybe pking (can't say that now since wildy is no longer the same before), this will in turn created a large stock pile for all the raw materals, for "experienced" player alike.

a happy Runescaper

first off good post... but we p2p people would do just fine with out f2p people and people will live with out bots. yea some raw material will raise but people of runescape will do what they all ways do just adapt to the changes. Plus u just got some good updates, but giving f2p new updates every time we get updates, there would be almost no point of getting members if that would ever happen any ways we can live with out bots or f2p people getting our raw material.

Syris123.png