Player Owned Shops: Obsolete?

Omali

When the Grand Exchange was released, I was under the impression that it was Jagex's answer to the many requests for a player owned shop, as mentioned in the 2004 behind the scenes in March.

Jagex mentioned player owned shops once again in the first summoning dev diary, where Mod Mark mentions

Player-owned shops are the only thing that isn't currently possible, but we've made the Grand Exchange, which is close in concept and awesome in its own right. We're making advances in technology all the time, so player-owned shops might be possible in the future. The other things are still on the cards in the distant future."

So Jagex is still thinking about releasing Player Owned Shops, but the question that I have is; with the Grand Exchange, is the idea of player owned shops still worthy of the time it would take to upgrade the engine, code it in, and use the server space?

I thought that the idea of POS' was great, but I cannot see it replacing the GE, unless Jagex literally replaces the GE with it.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

They only say they might be possible. They don't say that they're going to bring them out. Chances are we're never ever gonna see them.

They said that the GE was close in concept, meaning that it doesn't have all of the features that player owned shops will have.

I believe that if Jagex had no intention of bringing it out, they simply wouldn't have mentioned it at all (like wilderness tag hasn't been mentioned in a long time), or they would've said that the Grand Exchange would be taking its place.

So at the very least, it's not being worked on, but it's still a viable idea that engine upgrades will partially focus on.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

They only say they might be possible. They don't say that they're going to bring them out. Chances are we're never ever gonna see them.

They said that the GE was close in concept, meaning that it doesn't have all of the features that player owned shops will have.

I believe that if Jagex had no intention of bringing it out, they simply wouldn't have mentioned it at all (like wilderness tag hasn't been mentioned in a long time), or they would've said that the Grand Exchange would be taking its place.

So at the very least, it's not being worked on, but it's still a viable idea that engine upgrades will partially focus on.

exactly what i was about to write

except there is one reason that jagex wont make them

it might be used to help bots if you can set up your own prices

if you cant then this would be just another grand exchange room in your house which is actually likely to happen if they keep mentioning it

Ring_World.gif

noes, I think you're just being hopeful. If you think about it we already have the trading system, grand exchange and the forums for members. You can pretty much sell/buy everything you're looking for and player owned shops would be overkill. Don't expect anything more coming from jagex in the form of trade based updates.

Sig.jpg

I don't see what's the huge importance of having a POS...

To me, it wouldn't be very useful, especially now with the Grand Exchange, and it's more of something that some people want than what everybody use.

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.

I don't remember ever putting a huge importance on it, I merely asked if player owned shops are even worth putting in at this point (which Jagex seemed to hint towards in the diary), now that the grand exchange is in place.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I'm trying to think of what features a Player Owned Shop would have. To be honest, I can't think of any that go beyond the Grand Exchange. A few points:

• - Being a central market, the GE is likely many times easier to use than what might be developed as a POS

- Players couldn't set prices outside the GE range, else it opens the door for RWT.

- I guess you could put up more items than the 6 allowed in the GE, but that seems a minimal improvement

- Player owned shops could also be used to create items (i.e. like an anytime assist system), but this would make creating high level items and gaining experience much too easy

Are there other features that could be implemented? I guess having GE access from a POH would be something.

o_knames.png

Maxed total levels

Remaining for Completionist Cape: Livid Farm spell (Borrowed Power)

I think if a player owned market ever comes out; perhaps in some huge city or two, it would just be the excitement of shopping from many different shops that would drive players to the player-owned market. Sure, the grand exchange is there, but why not just take a huge chunk of cash and shop around the player-owned market, and see what you can find! :P

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

Well, Player owned shops will bring quite a shame to the Grand Exchange. If Jagex creates Player Owned Shops, they could possibly get rid of the Grand Exchange. I think since they've been hard work into the new exchange, they may not create player owned shops.

O'Ducky <3:

~ HYT Chat Rules (Click Here): Read before entering the chat. ~

dztf80.jpg

| Former Clan Chronicle Editor | Former Clan Improvement Member| Former TET Member |

Sure, the grand exchange is there, but why not just take a huge chunk of cash and shop around the player-owned market, and see what you can find! :P

It's possible, it would help people buying them get it at dirt cheap, as they would be fighting over prices and who's is the losest.

This is exactly what the Grand Exchange already does.

o_knames.png

Maxed total levels

Remaining for Completionist Cape: Livid Farm spell (Borrowed Power)

The only difference between the Player Owned Shops and Grand Exchange would be that you get to choose the specific player to buy from. The Grand Exchange, I believe, would be the simplest way to transfer items.

I think the release of Player Owned Shops would, indeed, now be considered practically useless - you can do basically everything they could with the Grand Exchange.

~Rcty

Rcty

I believe that these shops are obsolete. They hold no value anymore since it is easy to buy and sell the products to the Grand Exchange and with the limit to the price range, there would be no point in making shops. I do not see any possibility for the future player owned shops.