Guide To Making RuneScape Animated GIFs

Da_Latios

Ever wanted to make something like this?

clip0056.gif

Or perhaps this?

SnowThrow1.gif

...But don't know how to?

This guide will show you how to make animated GIFs very easily, and with no hassle!

Let's begin...

To first make these animations easily, you'll need to convert AVI(Audio-Visual Interlace) to GIF(Graphical Interchange Format).

To Get an AVI, you'll need something to record it off the screen with, so you will need some recording software.

What you will need:

- Screen recording software: Camtasia or Hypercam

- Photoshop CS3 Extended, GIMP or VirtualDub

^^Clicking the links will take you to the product's site.

Now let's get started!

Open up Hypercam(Or Camtasia) and select the part you want to record.I suggest a little extra, so you can crop it later.

80202624zq6.png

Then record, obviously.

Remember to record a little extra at the beginning and at the end.

The VirtualDub Method is RECOMMENDED.

[hide=VirtualDub Method]

Step 1: Open VirtualDub. vdub1tx3.png

Step 2: In VirtualDub, go to File > Open Video File and choose the video you just recorded(By default on Hypercam it is clip)

Yes, I'm hiding all my other files from you >:]

15771731kk3.jpg

Step 3: To crop, go to Video > Filters > Add

Now, you can choose any filter as long as you don't change it. Personally, I always use the Brightness/Contrast filter.

Click OK, then click OK ok the small dialogue box that comes up.

Then, in that screen, click Cropping...

44846274ls0.jpg

Crop to whatever size you desire, and clip the video file using the black "arrow" keys.

78611438du6.png -> 43214475ia5.jpg

Cropping...

83164771wd7.jpg

Step 4: Press, OK.

We're almost done!

Step 5: Now, to make it a GIF, go to File > Export > Animated GIF...

And you will be prompted by this box:

14127766uq5.jpg

Step 6: Rename if you wish, select the Loop setting to Infinite loop(recommended) and click OK.

Optional, but recommended: Now, just open Photoshop Elements OR GIMP, no need to edit the pictures, and File > Save For Web...(Photoshop)

Then click GIF, turn animation on, resize if you wish, choose your settings and save.

You can now upload it to Photobucket etc!

(Note: If you're lucky, you might be able to upload the VirtualDub generated GIF, but most of the time this doesn't work.)

[/hide]

[hide=Photoshop CS3 Extended Method]

This method is quite expensive, as Photoshop CS3 is expensive.

Honestly, I would go with the VirtualDub method, but for you people who feel like showing off, here's the CS3 method ::'

Step 1: Open Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended(duh)

Step 2: Go to File > Import > Video Frames to Layers... And open your recorded video.

NOTE: You can only have a max of 500 frames. If your video is more than 500 frames, be sure to click the "Limit to every _ frames" option OR open the video file as a smart object.

Step 3: To cut out some frames, click a layer, scroll up or down to the layer you want to start/stop the animation at, then, while holding down your shift key, click that layer and delete them:

animcs31kk3.gif

Step 4: To crop, simply use the crop tool.

Step 5: Now, go to File > Save For Web and Devices and save as a GIF. Use your own desired settings and save.

[/hide]

[hide=There is no GIMP Method As I Do Not Own GIMP]

Why'd you click here, neeb? I said there's no GIMP method. :lol:

[/hide]

The guide will still be updated a bit.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad I dont have photo shop. :(
Photoshop Elements 2.0 is on eBay for around $20. Very cheap.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

Awsome, always wondered how you make those but was too lazy to google it :P Luckily I'm pretty sure I have all the required software too ::'

But don't these take like 1Mb+, with imageshack and such having small limits on size? Or does photobucket not have a limit?

slayermask3.png

A Draconic Guide V1.4, Fimer - Multi-Timer Farming Timer V3.

Dragon Boots: 39|Abyssal Whips: 16|Dark Bows: 1|

Awsome, always wondered how you make those but was too lazy to google it :P Luckily I'm pretty sure I have all the required software too ::'

But don't these take like 1Mb+, with imageshack and such having small limits on size? Or does photobucket not have a limit?

Photobucket has a limit of 1mb, and Imageshack a limit of 1.5mb.

GIF images are only 256 colours, so you'll find that the animations are only a few hundred kb ::'

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

I didn't have an animated GIF handy, however I can give users hopefully a chance to make these animations.

The GIMP, which is a free image editor, has the option to save a GIF and keep the animation. When you go to save it, it will give the option to keep it animated.

I will try to make one of these tomorrow and use The GIMP to save it as a GIF animation and see if it works, that way the animated file should be 100% free to make.

Mamong.png

336489.jpg

[Tip.It Mod][Retired][Add your Steam name here!]

I didn't have an animated GIF handy, however I can give users hopefully a chance to make these animations.

The GIMP, which is a free image editor, has the option to save a GIF and keep the animation. When you go to save it, it will give the option to keep it animated.

I will try to make one of these tomorrow and use The GIMP to save it as a GIF animation and see if it works, that way the animated file should be 100% free to make.

If you're using camtasia then you can export as a gif without using any other programs.

And to think we spent hours trying everything to see how we could make animated GIFs, then you two show up with some easy solutions, lol :XD:

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

Actually, you CAN edit GIFs in CS3, but in other versions you use ImageReady.

You might wanna also add that if you have PS CS3 Extended you can import the video directly in there and save it as a GIF, since that's what I do to make animations...

Btw CamStudio is better than HyperCam and you don't need to register :D

Awesome guide though :)

*insert random things here*

Actually, you CAN edit GIFs in CS3, but in other versions you use ImageReady.

You might wanna also add that if you have PS CS3 Extended you can import the video directly in there and save it as a GIF, since that's what I do to make animations...

Btw CamStudio is better than HyperCam and you don't need to register :D

Awesome guide though :)

Lol, I forgot CS3 Extended can do video...

But not many people have CS3 extended, heh.

[hide=Here is how you get videos to frames in CS3]

cs3anims1au7.png

[/hide]

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

99cookemotetg3.gif

End result. Worked well. Used my erm.."legal" (oh of course it was) version of Camtasia to record, then straight to VirtualDub to convert to .GIF then I could upload it straight to ImageShack, didn't have to then open it in PS/Gimp to save again as .GIF, maybe you have an outdated version?

Nah, sometimes you can't upload to Photobucket, this may be because the fie size is too big.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

I find it funny how people call products such as "Photoshop" "photo shop" or "Hypercam" "hyper cam".

Anyway, I believe you can do this without Elements. I made a signature [shown below] well over a year and a half ago with just Photoshop and ImageReady (both CS2 versions). However it was not made from a video. Just a bunch of poorly cropped images pasted together.

Heh, I thought so highly of myself back then for owning a mask, having 66 rc, and making my own signature, which I never even used.

[hide=Sig]

testsignw7.gif[/hide]

Oh great guide man, Seriously great guide :D (I already knew how to record to makes gifs etc, but you gave me the idea to do it with runescape :))

I have Photoshop CS3 Extended so I shall use that, and I have my registered version of hypercam ready :D

Great guide with great images and info

*hi-5*

Good thing I don't have that image size restrictions if I stick it on my web host.

acantha.gif

Stephen Hawking is now a honorary member of the Runecrafting Guild. He was also given a free sex change from the Make-over Mage.

off topic but woot im in 2 peoples siggys >.>

Make that 3!

Wow... Erm, nice. I didn't really understand what to do if I don't have photoshop. i think you should organise it a little bit better, like maybe hide things into "step 1" and "step 2", etc...

Oh, and have two different paths for if you have photoshop, and if you don't.

8/10, cause your guide didin't explain what to do if I don't have photoshop, only your comments after.

That's what it takes to be a hero, a little gem

of innocence inside of you that makes you want

to believe that there still exists a right and wrong,

that decency will somehow triumph in the end.

--Lise Hand

well i saved as a gif but i cant open in gimp or photoshop elements 5.0 it says something about a frame idk

well now i got it to work but it comes out as a skinny strip of pictures, can i send you a pm of what it turns out to look like?

jab12305.png

Wow... Erm, nice. I didn't really understand what to do if I don't have photoshop. i think you should organise it a little bit better, like maybe hide things into "step 1" and "step 2", etc...

Oh, and have two different paths for if you have photoshop, and if you don't.

8/10, cause your guide didin't explain what to do if I don't have photoshop, only your comments after.

Actually it did, it said you may still be able to upload directly from VirtualDub.

Either way, now I've included that you can use GIMP.

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg