A Math problem (NOT HW..I.E. Just a little brain teaser)

Retefael

Alright, so last Friday in Alg 3/Trig we got a problem sheet. There was this one problem I have been wondering about since. Note: It's all said and done, so I just thought I'd see what all of you thought about it :)

So...

You see a tree with apples on it. You neither take apples nor leave apples. How many apples were on the tree?

:-k

I don't run races to see who's the fastest, I run to see who has the most guts. -Pre

thewho2.jpg

Currently the best beat out there:

Minuit jacuzzi (DatA Remix) - TEPR

That's not really math, its more logic.

The original amount that was on the tree when your first saw it?

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

Our teacher said it was a whole number answer. 2 sounds pretty good. I had no clue, honestly. :)

I don't run races to see who's the fastest, I run to see who has the most guts. -Pre

thewho2.jpg

Our teacher said it was a whole number answer. 2 sounds pretty good. I had no clue, honestly. :)

Well, since when do trees grow fractions of apples?

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

Well, since when do trees grow fractions of apples?

Ha. :P

But No onE's answer seems like the best one to me. Still don't understand the dang problem though... :?

thewho2.jpg

Yea that's....that's not math, that's logic. But yea, 2 is right. But...2 1/2 apples? lol.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Isn't it one?

I was thinking that, but note that the first use of the plural indicates that there is more than one apple in the tree. It has to be two.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Two. You take one apple so you're taking an apple, not apples and you're leaving an apple, not apples.

That's the conclusion I came to.

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

It's zero. You don't take one because there aren't any to take, but don't leave one because there aren't any to leave.

Again, same problem as with the answer one. It says there are apples on the tree, so it has to be two or greater.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Yeah, it's gotta be two. Not really maths though.

But how can it be 2 if you leave no apples :?

You leave no apples, but you do leave an apple.

Basicly, you leave no appleS but you do leave AN apple

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

This is more of a word play then anything else... Grammar is the key to solving it rather then logic or arithmatic. If there are three apple(s) then you can either take zero, one, two, or three. If zero or one then you are not taking apple(s) but rather not an apple or one apple, but you must leave at least two apple(s) in order to do so which means that you leave apples. If you take two or three apple(s) then you are taking apples. The same reasoning from language works for any number of apples greater then or equil to three... And if there was only one apple on the tree then you could not say that there are apple(s) on the tree.

This isn't really a logic question however because I can concieve of (and use frequently) a language in which there is no differentiation between some and none (ie one or more and zero). It would be impractical to express the question in such a language because of grammar... meaning that this is a question for the grammarian rather then the logician.

"He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he can not lose."

--Jim Elliot

"You must picture me alone in that room in Magdalen, night after night, feeling, whenever my mind lifted even for a second from my work, the steady, unrelenting approach of Him whom I so earnestly desired not to meet. That which I greatly feared had at last come upon me. In the Trinity Term of 1929 I gave in, and admitted that God was God, and knelt and prayed: perhaps, that night, the most dejected and reluctant convert in all England. I did not then see what is now the most shining and obvious thing; the Divine humility which will accept a convert even on such terms. The Prodical Son at least walked home on his own two feet. But who can duly adore that love which will open the high gates to a prodigal who is brought in kicking, struggling, resentful, and darting his eyes in every direction for a chance of escape? The words compelle intrare, compel them to come in, have been so abused by wicked men that we shudder at them; but, properly understood, they plumb the depth of the Divine mercy. The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation."

--C.S.Lewis