Air running

upthebanner

Hi all,

Last night I tried the assist system to increase my runecraft xp in world 16. I have a level of 66 which means that I make 7 airs per essence.

I will start by explaining how air running worked before the 3k limit per 15 minutes unbalanced trade was introduced.

Air running was a process by which a character (generally fairly new and low levelled) would run to and from the East bank in Falador to the air altar just south of Falador main walls in world 16. They would bring an air tiara or talisman and very light clothing and in their inventory would carry 25 essence.

In the air altars were stood the air crafters. These tended to be highish to high level characters . In their inventory they would carry many thousands of noted essence and hundreds of thousands of gp.

The runner would enter the air altar and see which crafters were ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅopenÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

Like I said before, a small grand exchange in all altars would work fine, runners put essence in there, rcers will buy the essence. Now the runner will be paid and the rcer gets his essence, and there is only one problem left, people start adding 1000k noted ess and make it imposible for the other runners. Heres what makes it imposible to do that, only unnoted essence can be put in!

Some obvious answers:

Unnoting NPC's at the altars. They take a payment equal to the max runes that can be made at the altar (so 9 airs for air altar, 2 nats for nature, only 1 law for law world.

Change value of unnoted essence INSIDE THE ALTAR to be worth the value above.

Do nothing. It may be that Jagex does not want service that's done so easily to be so valuable. Granted, that's EXACTLY opposite of how MMORPG's are set up. People do some tasks that others reimburse for and vice versa. If I'm mining iron, it makes sense to sell that iron to get my essence or sharks.

On the other hand, Jagex may consider the 3k gp to be your "service" limit. Low level characters cannot offer expensive services, so must build up quest points in order to pay and to offer better services.

Granted, this creates a *BIG* gap that botters can exploit. Would a Runecrafter be above the idea of paying a Bot company say 5 an hour in order to have 10 low level bots run his essence for him at the air altar? However, such a set-up is easy to detect (so much *free* service), so maybe Jagex is not concerned with stopping it hard. Eh, who knows.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Long response, so bear with me here (and again, its my own opinion, so no need to get defensive here)

Its a very detailed analysis of the air running system there, and I am sure alot of people who trains RC by air running, or even law and nat running got stumped by the new restriction.

Just my 2 bits here, its very good system for both runners and air crafter to gain good amount of cash, but then again, doing RC to lvl 99 for a F2P is still Possible just take quite a longer time.

Just for some rough math break down, this is how long it would take doing the conventional way without air runners

if you start at lvl 1 rc, you would need to turn 2.6mil ess in total into airs that would mean if you can rc 3 to 4 k of ess into airs per day, u should get rc to lvl 99 in about 625 days, so we are looking at 2 years roughly (thats if you spend 4 hrs or more per day just to train RC)

Many people would say, wow, thats like 2500 hrs of playing time, which is alot. Way before many people use runners, if you look at many f2p's rc skill, its always the lowest, anyone with 50 or higher are consider to be high, and for the first time, the previous rank 1 f2p have 97 rc, which stands out for all the top f2pers out there.

I happen to meet him during his RC training one day at fally, and he was walking back and forth for a long time just for that single day (I left for Fally to train at ice cave that day, he is there, 4 hrs later, I came back, he is still there......walking back and forth, though not talking much).

I used to think RC is hard for F2P too, because it is pure grueling walk without the benefit of abyss and pouches, but then the air runners idea came out and people start to utilize it more so it becomes more of a "trade" skill instead, you trade me, and I trade you, and I stay there type msgs all day long. Some people I talked to says that the current rank 1 f2p is lucky because he got his rc to 99 before the restriction cap came out, again, its all open to debate there.

But if it was me, I probably give more respect for the previous rank 1 simply he did the grueling work of walking back and forth which make F2P rc hard in the first place (someone told me u can get close to 1mil xp in a week using runners, not sure if its true), which I am sure someone could argue that its pointless to click so many times to run back and forth when you can train more "efficiently" by using runners

This is not to berate that rcing using air runners is a cheap way to get rc 99, both parties get benefits, the runners, and the air crafters, but just to my own view, F2p is suppose to be hard for its grueling way and more conventional way of training, and now I look at the F2p top list again, some of them seems to jumped during those few months by utilizing that method. But it kind of lose the old meaning that F2P training is hard (I made simliar post before regarding training using speed lvl compare to old ways training). When it boils down to the parts, the xp is all the same, no one would know if you speed train or not.

Overall, I do respect the author of this post raise awareness of educate people about things in those aspect, it would certainly make alot of new players life easier to earn more cash compare to other methods before.

If you RC all the airs by yourself during the 2 years time, you could use those cash you earn from airs to buy cowhides, big bones, and other items to get your other skill 99 since you will most likely have massive amount of airs (I didn't do math on that part since its exponential), but you can speed up the training abit by using fally tele once you done crafting airs in air altar.) Which will make you train rc and magic at same time.

I used to think F2P is hard to, but after some time, I noticed some skills are essentially the same between F2P and P2p, you could get some skills up really fast if you speed train, so the distinction between the training speed of P2p and F2p is kind of blurred.

a happy Runescaper

Hi all,

Last night I tried the assist system to increase my runecraft xp in world 16. I have a level of 66 which means that I make 7 airs per essence.

1, Scammers ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ I counted at least ten players last night who were shouting that their assist level was nine. In fact they were not even in hi scores. If the runner traded with them (and this happened very frequently) then the runner would lose money or at best make very little. I reported all players I saw doing this and JAGeX need to be aware of this problem. ( I cannot mention on forums as I am f2p). Obviously the runner should check with the hi scores before trading but for new players who do not know all the nuances this will always prove tricky.

3. 7 assist is not enough ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ It appears that when 2 ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ 3 high level crafters appear ( S Diamant Y was there last night ) these can service virtually all the available runners very easily so unless you are 9 or 10 most runners will ignore you. This is compounded by all the scammers claiming to be 9 x assist. I only got crumbs.

So what did I do? Unfortunately I was forced to return to my old method of combining runecraft with woodcutting. I run my own essence and chop oak and yew on the way back. This gives very little runecraft xp but at least my woodcutting improves. It means that for most f2p a level of 99 in runecrafting is now effectively impossible. A few high level crafters (2000 ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ 3000) will dominate the skill and it will take too long to level to make it worthwhile. (Similar to prayer in f2p but actually even worse).

Plan of action ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Education of new players is key. They must be taught the intricacies of the new method. We must also remove all scammers as they are undermining the entire process. Pray to JAGeX to change the limits on trade in f2p

I have just one question for you: Did it ever cross your mind that maybe, just maybe these "scammers" weren't scamming, but instead just paying extra gp for the exp? Prehaps you should have done a test trade/asked about their method before reporting all of them?

How it works: You take hundreds of thousands of airs to the altar and trade extra airs (243 if you are giving assist X9) for the unnoted 27 essences at a time. People who don't have 88-99 rc need to do this so that they won't "only get crumbs".

Don't get me wrong here. I want Jagex to fix air running as well. It's just that I think that Jagex should also give the author of the OP several black marks for misuse of customer support.

Rao.png

1mil xp per week? If you nolyfed, maybe. Even with runners, rc xp per hour was around 20-25k. Thats about 90k per 4 hours of continuous play. 30-32k per hour was possible but only if you are super high level and offered "open 2.2k"

100% F2P

85 Mining achieved on Dec 4, 2007

85 Smithing achieved on May 28, 2009

anim7.png

well i hope jagex finds a way to get running back,

things become harder and harder for f2p

it wasn't easy to lvl in f2p, but it was still possible.

now they made training in wildy impossible, bone yard dissapeared and rc is gone.

maybe i'll try to run a bit, but it would take ages...

gwn3.png

Hi all,

1, Scammers ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ I counted at least ten players last night who were shouting that their assist level was nine. In fact they were not even in hi scores. If the runner traded with them (and this happened very frequently) then the runner would lose money or at best make very little. I reported all players I saw doing this and JAGeX need to be aware of this problem. ( I cannot mention on forums as I am f2p). Obviously the runner should check with the hi scores before trading but for new players who do not know all the nuances this will always prove tricky.

3. 7 assist is not enough ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ It appears that when 2 ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ 3 high level crafters appear ( S Diamant Y was there last night ) these can service virtually all the available runners very easily so unless you are 9 or 10 most runners will ignore you. This is compounded by all the scammers claiming to be 9 x assist. I only got crumbs.

So what did I do? Unfortunately I was forced to return to my old method of combining runecraft with woodcutting. I run my own essence and chop oak and yew on the way back. This gives very little runecraft xp but at least my woodcutting improves. It means that for most f2p a level of 99 in runecrafting is now effectively impossible. A few high level crafters (2000 ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ 3000) will dominate the skill and it will take too long to level to make it worthwhile. (Similar to prayer in f2p but actually even worse).

Plan of action ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Education of new players is key. They must be taught the intricacies of the new method. We must also remove all scammers as they are undermining the entire process. Pray to JAGeX to change the limits on trade in f2p

I have just one question for you: Did it ever cross your mind that maybe, just maybe these "scammers" weren't scamming, but instead just paying extra gp for the exp? Prehaps you should have done a test trade/asked about their method before reporting all of them?

How it works: You take hundreds of thousands of airs to the altar and trade extra airs (243 if you are giving assist X9) for the unnoted 27 essences at a time. People who don't have 88-99 rc need to do this so that they won't "only get crumbs".

Don't get me wrong here. I want Jagex to fix air running as well. It's just that I think that Jagex should also give the author of the OP several black marks for misuse of customer support.

this wont work, because of the trade limit. 243 airs is 2k+ more than 27 ess, as as you are trading, the limit is in effect.

~JW

I have decided to split this comment into three parts.

Firstly regarding whether or not one should do runecrafting the conventional way ie run back and fro to air altar (earth altar is actually a few steps closer and you get a few more xp per trip) or whether one should find as many short cuts as possible is an entirely personal question.

I prefer the smarter way and as it does cost money to do the smarter methods it cannot be seen as a free lunch. I would also dispute your figures regarding xp gained. Each run to air altar with full load is worth just about 150 xp so assuming approx 3 mins per run ie 20 runs per hour this equates to 3k xp per hour. This 3k xp gain is based on 100% commitment, no randoms no chat and no connection lost. This is therefore exaggerated. At a rate of 3k per hour it would take 1083 days at 4 hours per day. No one on this planet could do that. However I guess if you can get to level 77 then you would be able to use the assist method so this is the level I am going for. This is about 1.5 mill xp which is attainable.

Secondly I had not considered the possibility that the 9 x assisters whose runecrafting levels were not even in the hi scores would give extra airs and that is because they do not. No trade is made on the assist system so no airs can be given. I saw no conversations that suggested that these scammers were giving airs after he assist but I did see many players shouting that they had been scammed by so and so player. Even if these kind good hearted players were doing as you suggest the trade limit would not allow them to do more than about 3 trades every 15 minutes. JAGeX are more than welcome to black mark me for false reporting but it has not happened yet but I already see a significant reduction in this type of scammer. It is the responsibility of every player to report all scammers and this means that some players will be accused unfairly. JAGeX will need to make sure that their investigative methods are good enough not mine.

Thirdly I tried a slightly different technique for air running that gave me about 9k xp per hour( compared to a max of 25k per hour before update). In my inventory I kept 5 law runes, 5 water runes, 200k gp ,several thousand noted essence and then filled with unnoted essence (24). I wear an air tiara. Now I travel to air altar and craft the 24 unnoted runes. I next shout open 1k and 25 essence. When someone offers to trade I drop the laws and waters which leaves me the usual 25 spaces. I then trade in the normal way. I craft the new unnoted essence and pick up the dropped runes and repeat the process 3 times ( ie upto the 3 k trade limit) Now I teleport back to Fally. Obviously I cannot do this every trip but I do repeat whenver the trading limits allow. Obviously if you can get runners to trade at 500 ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ 800 per time then this method would be better but I am not sure how quickly you would get offers.