Pokemon Thread

PoorLepRecon

Yeah, I agree. In any case, Knock Off is an excellent move, pity the terrible distribution though.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

Escaliver can muscle through a lot of resists. Choice Band 2HKOs Roobushin, unless it has a bulk up.

Escavalier dies pitifully to heatran though, and I mean truly pitifully (even an ember coming off heatran deals tons of damage to esca). Truly surprised to see that ludicolo managed to weasel his way into ou, seeing as 5th gen more or less 'swarmed' a dozen or so bugs into ou (namely accelgor/volcarona). Gonna be interesting to see where scrafty ends up though, seeing as aside from conkeldurr/the fighting legendaries, he has no real counter in ou (due to flying moves being rarely used).

div>

Escavalier dies pitifully to heatran though, and I mean truly pitifully (even an ember coming off heatran deals tons of damage to esca). Truly surprised to see that ludicolo managed to weasel his way into ou, seeing as 5th gen more or less 'swarmed' a dozen or so bugs into ou (namely accelgor/volcarona). Gonna be interesting to see where scrafty ends up though, seeing as aside from conkeldurr/the fighting legendaries, he has no real counter in ou (due to flying moves being rarely used).

A Life Orb Starmie's HP Fire does 91.9% - 109.3% to Escavalier. It sometimes OHKO's, but the fact that it doesn't always is pretty amazing. When I used one it almost always netted me one kill a match due to its resistances and powerful CB Megahorn. If your opponent runs Specs Latios/any Reuniclus, then it is always a kill. Anti-meta and powerful as hell.

25zhwts.png

[email protected] - EoS Former Leader - Message if you need anything

I have a question on the training of pokemon who evolve with a stone/trading

When is the best time to let these pokemon evolve?

I want to train a Kingdra at the moment but I have no clue on which level to evolve him.

Kingdra still learns moves and stuff when he evolves...

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

I have a question on the training of pokemon who evolve with a stone/trading

When is the best time to let these pokemon evolve?

I want to train a Kingdra at the moment but I have no clue on which level to evolve him.

Kingdra still learns moves and stuff when he evolves...

Guessing the best thing would be to look at the moves that they get before and after evolution and see which is worth it. Stuff like trade evolutions, it's probably better to evolve it as soon as you get the chance.

Well, I've finally beat the multi train/gotten a decent win streak on super-multi. Figured I'd post my team if anyone wanted to try to score some bp:

Tornadus

Naughty/flying gem

200atk/200spa/108speed

-acrobatics

-hurricane

-crunch

-extrasensory

Info: acrobatics+flying orb is downright diabolical. With this combo, for one turn, you can nearly ohko most blissey variants, as well as put a huge hole in anything you choose. Hurricane is there to cover physical walls, crunch/extrasensory for coverage

Ferrothorn

Relaxed/lefties

252atk/4def/252spdef

-curse

-ingrain

-power whip

-gyro ball

Info: more or less the standard ferro-tank. Ingrain+lefties offer reliable healing, and after 2-3 curses, more or less make you immune to physical hits. Power whip hits pkmn who would take little off gyro (namely swampert/0speed snorlax), and after a few curses, gyro just kills.

div>

When you evolve by trading, the pokemon keeps it's pre-evo's learnset. So other than needing more xp per level, there is no disadvantage to evolving by trade asap (besides the need for more xp is offset by stronger power on most pokemon, and most evolutions can learn moves pre-evos can't, for example Scizor learning bullet punch while Scyther can't).

However, when you evolve by stone, you freeze the pokemon's learnset. Except in rare circumstances, the pokemon learns no new moves naturally (but yes there are a few exceptions, for example Arcanine who learns Extremespeed only as Arcanine and not as Growlithe), but these moves usually coincide with moves in the pre-evo state too (for example, Growlithe learns Flamethrower at level 49, the same time Arcanine would learn Extremespeed). Thus, stone evolves should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, but generally, if you don't care about new moves, evolve ASAP.

Mmhmm...safest time to evo by trade/stone is at lv86, seeing as no pokemon that evo's this way learns moves past lv85. Also, it's always better to level up stone pokemon past those 'desired moves', seeing as it requires less xp in earlier forms, and you can always use heart scales to get any moves that you passed. Oh, and I've also been experimenting with newer pkmn for the subway....managed to hatch a flawless jolly axew which I'm probably gonna use on the singles train as a d'dancer. Also gonna test out my wifi connection later...if it works, I'd be up for sharing some of the other axews (got 5 w/ flawless atk/spe iv's)

div>

You could also just look up the learnsets on Bulbapedia.

When you evolve by trading, the pokemon keeps it's pre-evo's learnset. So other than needing more xp per level, there is no disadvantage to evolving by trade asap (besides the need for more xp is offset by stronger power on most pokemon, and most evolutions can learn moves pre-evos can't, for example Scizor learning bullet punch while Scyther can't).

-stone evo's-

Actually not even more exp. Pokemon tend to stay in the same experience tier as the rest of their families.

As for the bit about stone evolutions, it also depends on whether or not the attacks it gets are worth the boost in power. A first gen Nidorino learns four attacks that Nidoking doesn't, and none of them are worth delaying the evolution for, especially since you'd be trading Thrash for, say, Double Kick. Or for a 5th gen example, Petlil gaining attacks like Sunny Day, Energy Ball, and Leaf Storm when its evo would get Quiver Dance and Petal Dance.

Also:

Passing moves down

The moves obtained by a Pokémon when hatching are as follows:

• The Pokémon will start with any moves that it would learn as a "Start" move in its learnset (In Generation II and Generation III, they learned all moves that are level 5 and below in their learnset.).
  • The Pokémon will start with any moves that it would learn by leveling up only if both parents know the move. This does not apply to moves that later evolutions can learn (such as Breloom's Mach Punch, which Shroomish cannot learn for obvious reasons).
  • The Pokémon will start with any TM or HM moves (and starting in Crystal, move tutor moves) that the father knows and the baby can also learn by machine.
  • The Pokémon will start with any egg moves that the baby can learn and the father knows.

Important bit in red. It obviously requires raising or catching one male and one female of the species to know the desired moves anyway, but the baby will know those moves from Lv1, in which case you can evolve it there and then provided all four moves are accounted for (TMs for example).

Sometimes, this is needed for breeding competitive Pokemon - which I don't bother doing these days since so many people PokeSav, AR and Smogon. Kind of ruins it when other people do your hours of work with a few clicks.

Bored with Tackle? Lv1 Vaporeon with Take Down? It's possible:

• Lv43 ♀Eevee w/Take Down + Lv43 ♂ Eevee w/Take Down = Lv1 Eevee w/Take Down
  • Lv1 Eevee w/Take Down → Lv1 Vaporeon w/Take Down.

I'm probably about three weeks late on the discussion but... I've got four badges, on Route 6 and... still not really getting into this game (Black version).

Graphics-wise I actually think it's worse than Platinum. The blocky avatars for your own Pokemon have returned, and their movement is so limited they may as well not have tried in the first place. To think this game is being released the same time as the PSP exists is a sobering reality of just how far behind Nintendo games are now when it comes to visuals, if not gameplay.

As for the game itself, I just feel as though I'm doing the same thing as before. Raising mediocre Pokemon I've met on Routes 1-5, not really caring for IVs/EVs, movesets or natures and getting away with such pathetic laziness because the gym leaders, rivals and E4 are easy enough to allow it. Even if I wanted to take it seriously, I can't anyway without the Vs. Seeker which, for some reason beyond my comprehension, they took out after three out of four successful generations, presumably because they delusioned themselves into thinking we actually care about the main story rather than grinding Pokemon for online competition.

The perenial bad guys wanting to steal Pokemon theme is so insipid by now that it's more of an annoyance than anything else. Of the characters I've met so far, I can think of only two who really have any depth: Bianca and the clerk at the Ferris Wheel. As I write this, I can't even remember the professor's name, let alone what she looks like (the fact she's female and wears a white coat is literally all I have in memory).

Someone please tell me this gets better as the story is completed, and beyond.

Your complaints about graphics really can't be justified, seeing how this is all done on what is essentially six-year-old hardware. As for the moving sprites, I actually kinda like those.

The plot was somewhat reduced to get players to the postgame much faster. Still, it has the best story in the main series.

And as for character development, Bianca gets it, Cheren actually gets better about it, and I'd like to discuss N, but spoilers up in this b***h if I do. Trust me, just play to the ending. It gets better.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

Yeah, you're right. Early days. I guess it's down to feeling like the main story only lets me use about a quarter of what I actually know about Pokemon's mechanics. I don't even have my IV Dittos or any synchs ffs... at least Roggenrola was generous enough to give an Everstone.

Any hints for assembling a bitpart team to complete the main game? I got Pignite, Boldore and Whirlepede, with Zebstrika and Gothita in Sweeper-ish roles (lack of second STAB type is killing though). Any Pokemon I've missed so far that I should invest in, or any on that list I should drop and never speak of again? I'm thinking of putting Vanillite in there as the sixth just to give some protection against Ground and Dragon types.

@ginger: zebstrika is crap as you move on (having a highest stat od 140spe at lv50). Boldore evo's by training, and is only really worth using as gigalith. Vanillite is a decent pick for ground/ice coverage, but nothing else. I'd advise attempting to pick up a solosis in white, or a crustle/his prevo in black, due to the fact that they're both powerful sweepers, as well as offering good type coverage.

div>

Yeah, you're right. Early days. I guess it's down to feeling like the main story only lets me use about a quarter of what I actually know about Pokemon's mechanics. I don't even have my IV Dittos or any synchs ffs... at least Roggenrola was generous enough to give an Everstone.

Any hints for assembling a bitpart team to complete the main game? I got Pignite, Boldore and Whirlepede, with Zebstrika and Gothita in Sweeper-ish roles (lack of second STAB type is killing though). Any Pokemon I've missed so far that I should invest in, or any on that list I should drop and never speak of again? I'm thinking of putting Vanillite in there as the sixth just to give some protection against Ground and Dragon types.

I'd say to go to the Ancient Castle and get the... Wing Fossil I think. It'll hatch into an Archen which evolves into the truck full of bricks known as Archeops. 140 attack and 110 base speed is amazing. You'll KO nearly everything in the game.

Err, not hatch, but take it to the museum where the second gym is.

Sorry for the random intrusion.

Having a great time on Pokemon Black, but I'm genuinely looking for some help. I have me entire team nearly built up and fully EV/IV trained to the exact values I want. Right now, I'm composed of five Pokemon, but I'm looking for a sixth. I've repeatedly scanned the entirety of website Pokedex's to look into strengths, weaknesses, the EV values of the newer generation pokemon, etc. and to be honest, I can't find a pokemon in the newer generation that I like at all. The only one I like thus far is Escalevier, who if I EV train in attack will be powerful but most likely slow as crap...

In general, does anyone have any recommendations? My preferences are no more fighting Pokemon, steel, hi defensive, nor would I like to add another Pokemon from the previous generation to my current party. I'm hoping to find, train and add a Pokemon from this new generation, and thought here would be a good place to start, seeing as how I can't find anything I like from playing or checking around (which is weird because I'll usually come up with something by now).

Hoping to get a new Signature (with matching avatar) soon. :D

In the meantime...Steam username: )I'll rewrite it later (add me if you want)

Btw foursideking, if you could hold one of those Axews I'd really appreciate it. Getting Black/White soon.

@ginger: the first stage archen is also pretty deadly in itself. Base 110atk for a first stage=downright scary. In other news, I turned that flawless axew I had into a d'dance sweeper. Works too well now, mind you I'm always using him behind ferrothorn...seeing as after ingrain/6 curses, ferro can kill nearly anything not named stab-flamethrower. Trying to find a 3rd one for my singles team though, currently preparing a smeargle nerf-lead, and a wobbufett lead. Both should allow me to take out any ice/fire types, which currently threaten axew/ferro (mind you, with a jolly nature, axew more or less outspeeds everything)

@sephiroth: due to heavy bias, I reccomend ferro and/or that new levitating electric type (the eel one). Ferro is defensive, but can be turned hyper-offensive. The eel has decent defenses, great offenses, and only really gets ohko'd by mold-breaker earthquake.

div>