Pokemon Thread

PoorLepRecon

In the U.S. you can get them for $35 pretty much anywhere. I'd get it from amazon, where you can get free shipping/no sales tax.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

I've never had a legitimate shiny pokémon outside of the Lake of Rage Gyarados and event pokémon like the Johto dogs. My biggest fear when I start playing black is encountering a shiny pokémon without realizing it and fainting it or running from it.

Necro, don't worry. When I encountered my first shiny when I restarted my black version, I immediately knew it was one due to the huge 12second animation they have before it. Truth be told, the only real way to not spot a shiny is if you completely speed through/'afk' through the games. Oh, and if anyone's wondering what shiny I got, it was a shiny/perfect atk/speed jolly axew which I then used to breed off those axews I was talking about earlier. (Oh, and while posting this reply, I just caught a shiny/adamant drilbur on my white. Checked iv's and they're flawless barring sp.atk)

div>

How do you know the IVs?

Veekun had an IV checker that you could usually use to figure out all IVs within ten Rare Candies. Unfortunately, the site has fallen on hard times. Anyone know of other IV checkers online? Given how large the fanbase for Pokemon is I can't imagine Veekun was the only one.

That said, they also had an egg move breeding chain tool and I've been unable to find a replacement for that.

EDIT: Yeah, didn't need to look far: Serebii's IV calculator. If it doesn't work it out immediately, save, feed it as many Rare Candies as possible, enter the stats and reset. Don't level up via battling or EVs will interfere.

I could never be assed putting them in and out again. Laziness.

How do people hunt Ditto on this version? Bulbapedia seems to imply if your lead is higher than 56 but lower than 63 you can force Ditto to appear by repel. Do people still use Repeat balls with Magikarp transforming for a guarenteed snag or is there some other method now?

I've been playing it on a rom the last couple of days. I was on my way to the seventh gym, but I messed something up with desmume. So gf game. I am probably going to get a hard copy this weekend.

Also, archeon with +attack nature, aerobatics, and no item just wrecks in-game.

I've been using a mixnape of mine on Pokemon online, man does it completely rape. I use a +speed,-def nature, with 200 SpA, 252SpE, 56Att with LO Overheat, Close Combat, U-Turn and hidden power ice, and it just tears things apart. I particulary like to CC and U-Turn at first, to lure their gliscor, and then nail it with hidden power.

@ginger: have a lead/dead synch with the nature you want, with a magikarp in your party (not 2nd). You're almost guaranteed the right ditto if you do it right.

@krimi: flying gem acrobatics more or less dominates, period. Factoring in the flying gem/flying stab, you have access to a 1 turn base 240power move not including weaknesses/resistances. To put that into perspective: if you hit a pkmn who resists flying (ie: heatran), it'll still have the same power as a neutral thunder. If you hit a pkmn for super effective damage, you essentially kill it barring sturdy/sash. If you hit blissey, you also have an 87% chance of killing it, which is rare for something to accomplish.

@demoli: if you really wanna f...I mean 'toy' with them, have a zoroark in your party. I did when I was testing out my emboar set, annoyed the hell out of the people who were attempting to counter using psychic types (namely reuniclus). 'Reuniclus used psychic, it doesn't affect emboar!'

div>

I really enjoyed the original pokemon gold, so should i get heart gold/soul silver or white (people are saying its better than black)? I look up the review for both and the graphics looked awful on black/white. ANyway which one?

SUPER.gif

If you mean the comments I made on the graphics, I take it back with hindsight. OK, sure--it's not Final Fantasy, but the graphics do justice to the game, which itself is very good. The full 3D cutscene on top of the tower took my breath away actually, without giving away spoilers.

I passed on HGSS, so I can't comment there.

Hg/ss was good for a remake, but overall, the plot was lackluster beyond belief. If you liked the story from gold/silver and want to go through it again (all the while being forced to capture lugia/hooh to advance the story), then get hg/ss. If you want the greatest pkmn-game story mixed in with a newer/more confusing pokedex that still confounds me, then get black/white. If you have a brain, then wait until the 3ds comes out.

@demoli: trick to using it effectively is by having zoroark come in on an unsuspecting pkmn who is weak to your overall team (ie: switch into blissey if you run physical, weezing if you run special). The opponent will generally switch, thus giving you either an easy kill or a free nasty plot. That's generally the most effective way to use zoroark, and even if he gets killed, your opponent will still be at a huge disadvantage (seeing as when it works, he kills 2 pkmn).

div>

Hg/ss was good for a remake, but overall, the plot was lackluster beyond belief. If you liked the story from gold/silver and want to go through it again (all the while being forced to capture lugia/hooh to advance the story), then get hg/ss. If you want the greatest pkmn-game story mixed in with a newer/more confusing pokedex that still confounds me, then get black/white. If you have a brain, then wait until the 3ds comes out.

@demoli: trick to using it effectively is by having zoroark come in on an unsuspecting pkmn who is weak to your overall team (ie: switch into blissey if you run physical, weezing if you run special). The opponent will generally switch, thus giving you either an easy kill or a free nasty plot. That's generally the most effective way to use zoroark, and even if he gets killed, your opponent will still be at a huge disadvantage (seeing as when it works, he kills 2 pkmn).

I wont get the 3ds it too expensive, so ill probs get pokekom white (thats the better one?) And i dnt think ds is very good apart from soem exceptional games

SUPER.gif

I caught Victini in a premier ball.

White seems to be more offensively orientated, whereas Black is more stall-ish seems to be the general consensus. The normal DS version is the one we've all been talking about for the last four weeks--the 3DS wasn't out when B/W was released. The 3D version was only released in the US and Canada today, and it's only been in the EU for two days.

3DS games are NOT compatible with normal DS models, but vica versa works. DS games will play on 3DS, like how the GC can't play Wii games, but the Wii can play GC games.

White is the better one for people who actually want a pokemon 'game'. If you want to play a game with 2 inferior legendaries (tornadus/reshiram), and a city that truly adds nothing good to the game, then get black.

Oh, and I actually have a question if anyone knows their way around these games: I'm trying to breed a special wall/special sweeper for my subway team, but have no idea of which pkmn to try. They can only be pokemon obtainable in white.

div>

White is the better one for people who actually want a pokemon 'game'. If you want to play a game with 2 inferior legendaries (tornadus/reshiram), and a city that truly adds nothing good to the game, then get black.

Oh, and I actually have a question if anyone knows their way around these games: I'm trying to breed a special wall/special sweeper for my subway team, but have no idea of which pkmn to try. They can only be pokemon obtainable in white.

Volcarona and Lilligant work well with Quiver Dance.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg